Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got my Pentax!

Xtreme Member
    United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurika, Inc.

Hey, I don't mind. The last time I went nuts with photog equipment was when I bought my ex a big assed Canon zoom lens (one with Image Stabilizer). Cost $500. at the time. But photo is her hobby, not mine. :p
    Last edited by aztec; 12-23-2008 at 07:50 AM.

AUDIO-ASUS Xonar DX SPKR-audioengine 5 CASE-Cooler Master Stacker RC-810-SSN1 CPU-E8400 - Q815 @ 4 GHz @ 1.23V FANS-Noctua GPU-EVGA GTX 660/2GB HDD-Raptor 150 ADFD + WD1600YS HSF-Noctua NH-U12 LCD-NEC 20WMGX² @ 1680x1050 MOBO-abit IP35 Pro - BIOS 16 + bolt mod OS-XP Pro x64 PSU-XFX 750W Black Edition RAM-G.Skill PC2-8800 Pi 2x2GB @ 1,128 @ 1.92v TIM-Arctic Cooling MX-2 UPS-TRIPPLITE SU1000XLa + Noctua fan mod

Xtreme Member
    Congrats on you purchase... Hope you have great fun with it. I got myself a K20D a few weeks back and i'm seriously happy with it.
    One thing that seems to be overlooked an awful lot is that the Pentax forums generally talk about photos and how they took them, not my lens is better than yours or your camera is only a prosumer and I have a full on pro jobbie .
    If you are learning about photography or even just vaguely interested then you will find that they are the nicest and calmest of the lot.
    Another thing is that Pentax have made roughly 24million lenses over the years, they will all work with your new camera and they are all stabilised as well

As I said before, congrats, enjoy it, learn from it and take some pictures...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by YugenM View Post
    From lurking on Internet forums:

Canon users: screw Nikon
    Nikon users: screw Canon
    Pentax: screw everybody else
    Leica: I do say, we most definitely are of higher status than the primitive SLR heathens.
    What about Olympus users? Seem to always be excluded

Nice photos with the beautiful doggy

Quote Originally Posted by YugenM View Post
    From lurking on Internet forums:

Canon users: screw Nikon
    Nikon users: screw Canon
    Pentax: screw everybody else
    Leica: I do say, we most definitely are of higher status than the primitive SLR heathens.
    Hmm I don't agree with this. The forum I visit has a mutual respect between the Canon and Nikon camps, with people regularly recommending the opposing brand if it fits someone's needs better. There are very very few (if any) that have a loyal bias, and that's how it should be.

If you use a D300 you shouldn't be recommending a D300 to everyone. You know why you needed it, but you should also know why someone else looking to buy a camera may not and may be better suited to a Rebel XSi based on their needs, budget, and experience holding and using different brands. Not many recommend Pentax or other brands simply due to (and don't jump on me for this, it's true) the compromise you make in features, autofocus, image quality, ISO ability, ergonomics, control, speed and lens selection. I'm not saying they don't make good cameras, but they aren't in the same league and if they were, you would see more pros using them.
    Last edited by Soulburner; 01-04-2009 at 06:16 AM.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Member
    Get a Screw mount - K mount adapter and go buy some primes on ebay...there is a lot of fun to be had there.

CPU Z:2700 2k1:27952 2k3:12282 2k5:5763 PCM05 AQ3
    Opteron 165 s939_____OCZ RAM/PSU_____BBATI X800xl

Xtreme Member
    My point is that brand loyalty is silly. Buy whatever brand/model is the best choice for you at the time in the price range you can afford.

AUDIO-ASUS Xonar DX SPKR-audioengine 5 CASE-Cooler Master Stacker RC-810-SSN1 CPU-E8400 - Q815 @ 4 GHz @ 1.23V FANS-Noctua GPU-EVGA GTX 660/2GB HDD-Raptor 150 ADFD + WD1600YS HSF-Noctua NH-U12 LCD-NEC 20WMGX² @ 1680x1050 MOBO-abit IP35 Pro - BIOS 16 + bolt mod OS-XP Pro x64 PSU-XFX 750W Black Edition RAM-G.Skill PC2-8800 Pi 2x2GB @ 1,128 @ 1.92v TIM-Arctic Cooling MX-2 UPS-TRIPPLITE SU1000XLa + Noctua fan mod

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by aztec View Post
    My point is that brand loyalty is silly. Buy whatever brand/model is the best choice for you at the time in the price range you can afford.
    Very much agreed; but looking towards the future is important as well. Personally, I see a dead end with the Pentax system, mostly because of the lack of full frame bodies and less selection than either the Nikon or Canon systems when it comes to lenses.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer View Post
    On a side note: Adobe Camera RAW and Lightrom do not handle Nikon RAW files correctly. If you want the correct color reproduction and CA removal (in D60 D90 D300 D700 and D3) you will have to use Capture NX which requires a supercomputer to run smoothly.
    And thus why we use cannon exclusively in our studio

Xtreme Member
    ^^ Understood, but it's still not a matter of one brand or the other is the "best". I'm sure if you had different criteria, Pentax would be fine, or Olympus, Minolta, whatever.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by aztec View Post
    ^^ Understood, but it's still not a matter of one brand or the other. I'm sure if you had different criteria, Pentax would be fine, or Olympus, Minolta, whatever.
    yeah, my point was that in our studio we have less brand loyalty and more brand avoidance.

It's really all about the other equipment, lens's, etc. that you have and what works best for you as a photographer. If you cant use something you have right or if it doesn't work well with your other equipment it goes in the trash.

Memory Addict
    to each his own, my #1 criteria is price and K200D and 7 lens and gear cost me AUD$4000-4400, to get equivalent Nikon/Canon lens would at least cost me an extra AUD$4500-6500

My 7 lens is all I need for everything I do... so even if Nikon/Canon had greater selection - I doubt me or anyone here would be buying every lens they had to offer heh.

You can keep arguing all you want, but for most folks it does come down to price.
    ---

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate P. View Post
    Very much agreed; but looking towards the future is important as well. Personally, I see a dead end with the Pentax system, mostly because of the lack of full frame bodies and less selection than either the Nikon or Canon systems when it comes to lenses.
    I picked pentax because of the better lens selection. As for FF, true...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer View Post
    On a side note: Adobe Camera RAW and Lightrom do not handle Nikon RAW files correctly. If you want the correct color reproduction and CA removal (in D60 D90 D300 D700 and D3) you will have to use Capture NX which requires a supercomputer to run smoothly.
    I missed this. This is not true anymore. Look into Adobe Camera Profiles. I use Lightroom 2 and I can reproduce my D300 shots with a Neutral Profile (the only one that handles color and shadow/highlight detail properly IMO) with very good accuracy. My shots look great, forget about CNX.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123