Thread: Plantronics CS50 Wireless Headset

I am Xtreme

Plantronics CS50 Wireless Headset

Plantronics CS50

When gamers think of computers and headsets together in the same sentence, the first thought to pop into mind is a fierce gaming tool. We think of 5.1 surround sound and multidirectional hearing capabilities. The world of audio for computer enthusiasts extends way beyond just the gaming headset.

Today Plantronics has sent Clan Team Xtreme a headset, not a gaming headset, but still an amazingly good headset. One that is beyond anything I though a headset could be.
    Plantronics is no new name to communication technology. Starting out in 1962 in the light weight communication headset industry, they lead the world today in design, manufacture and marketing of the best headsets and phone systems around. As if that is not enough claims to fame, Plantronics headsets are used in most fortune 500 companies and have been featured in many films and high profile events. Even those magical words “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,” was spoken through a Plantronics headset. Yes, N.A.S.A. and much of the aviation industry relies on Plantronics products.

We are very fortunate to be doing our third review for a company of that stature.
    Today we will be reviewing the ever popular Plantronics CS50 wireless headset.

First Impressions

I knew before I got the package, that I was receiving a product I was promised would revolutionize the way I use the PC. With high expectations, I closely examined the box. The shipping package had no damage at all and came in perfect condition.

Inside the product was packaged very well. No less is expected from a company such as Plantronics. The product packaging also was flawless.

The outside of the box explained in full detail what it contained and showed pictures of the headset in use and product specs etc.

What's Inside

The first thing visible as I opened the packaging was the manuals packed in at the top of the box. Inside everything else was held together securely in card board packaging.

Included in the box was;

- CS70 wireless headset

- Charging Station

- Stand

- Various ear hooks

- Over head band

- Charging Adapter

- Manuals

- Installation CD

- Case

The headset itself came in a bubble wrap pouch and was very small with a fair weight to it. Overall I was very very pleased with how Plantronics chooses to display and package their products.

Features

- 900Mhz RF frequency for excellent audio quality

- 200 foot wireless capable distance

- Personocall software for remote ring detection and answer/end capabilities

- Full wireless mobility

- Easy access volume/mute slider and Answer buttons

- Guaranteed comfort fit on any ear

- Noise cancelling

- Built in indicator light

- Up to 8 hours of talk time

- Charging base with charge and indicator lights

Performance

I assembled the base and was pleased to find out that I did not have to find a socket as the USB cord alone that was attached to it would charge up the headset. I still attached the adapter knowing that the PC will be off some days.

The headset came uncharged and took about 3 hours to attain a full charge. I tried it on with the various size ear hooks but soon realized that the weight of the headset made it a bit uncomfortable to attempt to keep it on my head that way. I resorted to the over head band which works perfectly. It supports the headset so well that I hardly feel it at all.

After attaining full charge, I tried it out for the first time. Setup was incredibly easy and Windows Vista 64 recognized it and installed the hardware way before I had a chance to install drivers but I followed the easy on screen instructions and proceeded to install the correct drivers. I use this headset mainly for speaking to other CTX members on Ventrilo and for internet calling using Skype or a Magic Jack.

It took a little getting used to as I am accustomed to my Razer Gaming Headset but sound quality even through the mono design is Superb! Right after getting all the volumes set up just right, I proceeded to see the wonders of wireless. It works flawlessly anywhere in my house and I mean ANYWHERE!

I put their 200 foot claim to the test and even that was blown away. Talk time was just over 8 hours just as claimed on a full charge. When you get near that max distance mark the sound dims but never loses quality. To this day I am still amazed. Having to switch from one headset to the next for gaming and then talking can be a drag but there is nothing like being able to keep in touch with everyone I enjoy talking to over at CTX and being able to watch your favorite shows on TV half way across the house.

I also loved the easy access to the Volume control and mute buttons. The large button on the headset is a very useful answer button especially when using the Magic Jack.

Final Thoughts

I truly have nothing bad to say about the CS50. It met every challenge I threw at it and came through victorious. Every claim Plantronics made was true. For anyone looking to do a lot of VoIP speaking, this is definitely for you. The freedom of wireless made all the difference to me. There are so many advantages over Bluetooth especially with the comfort of knowing you got 200+ feet of talk distance compared to 30 feet for blue tooth. Never again will I look to another company to handle my wireless headset needs.

Overview

Packaging: 10 of 10 Frags – From the shipping package to the product’s packaging inside the box, everything proved to be very secure in the event of the worse shipping accident. The Box showcased all the features and had ample pictures to attract anyone to pick up and give this product a try.

Price: 8 of 10 Frags – You are paying a lot when other wireless headsets are available for less but I guarantee that you get your money’s worth with Plantronics. You just can’t go wrong with them.

Performance: 10 of 10 Frags –
    This far exceeded all my expectations and did everything the company promised and more!

Styling: 10 of 10 Frags –
    Very hard to find something that’s small and sleeker looking than the CS50.

Design: 10 of 10 Frags - Excellent Design by Plantronics with setup and all buttons being within easy access.

Overall this product scores a 9.6 of 10 Frags making it Clan Team Xtreme Approved!

Last edited by biglipzit; 06-20-2009 at 06:18 PM.