Thread: MCW30 standoffs..what I did

Xtreme Member

MCW30 standoffs..what I did

Since I had to mod my SB for my EVGA 680i and 8800 gtx (SB screw hits card) I got hardware at local store (Lowe's) and made my own standoffs for both NB and SB.

Parts are 1/4"nylon spacers, and 3/4" 4-40 screws and nuts. I used the nylon spring bushings that come with the chipset blocks and slid it down inside the top of the spacer.
    The combination of the nut, nylon spacer and nylon bushing create the PERFECT distance needed (just under 10cm). The mounting plate rests a hair line above the bushing (which acts as a soft washer with "some" compression for tightening tolerance), when the copper block rests on the chipset.

I ran a nut all the way down on the screw of the SB block where it comes up under the GFX card to shorten it the thickness of the nut, so that when it is run up through the mobo from the backside, it and the top nut clear the gfx card by 3/32".

I would have rested the nylon bushing on the mobo but I wanted the screw to be bolted to the mobo (per original mounting application) so it would let me do maintenance on the waterblock. FYI, I am told that the kit that Swiftech is making for these has a threaded standoff which "should" act to secure the mounting screw to the mobo

I know I could have reversed the screw, but again, I wanted the screw to be bolted to the mobo. (no need to remove mobo to reattach the mounting hardware)

The screws are identical thread as what's shipped with the MCW30 so the sweet lil black finger nuts can be used, but the nuts that come with the new screws are larger which is better for stability when mounting to the mobo. Any force on the wb causes the mobo to flex and not the waterblock, so this is very solid. I also used the thin fiber washers that came with the wb's.

So, cheap, effective and hardware from your local store. (I painted the nylon spacers black )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NBstandoff2.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	58134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBstandoff2.jpg 
Views:	801 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	58135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	58136  
    Last edited by JeffnWV; 04-28-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Chasing After Diety

Any mod that works is always a good mod

i did my SB a little differently tho

one bolts from the bottom. the other top. I was too lazy to messure the dremel and cut exact. :X

Xtreme Member
    I saw that new mounting kit coming from Swiftech and just figured I could do it myself!
    Eric at Swiftech told me he reversed his screw like you did, but I wanted my screws bolted to the mobo and provide support so the chipset waterblock didn't flex.

Doing it this way, even the screw that's under the gfx card (the one you reversed) is also bolted to the mobo...just is short enuff to clear the card.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clearance1.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	58152  
    Last edited by JeffnWV; 04-28-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Jeff,

Nicely done! I've been wondering if that would work. I'm using the DD680i block on the NB and the EK NF4 rev 1.1 on the SB. Getting ready to go back to my old trusty (read less restriction) MCW30's FTW. Good info all the way around guys.

Thanks.

Edit to Add: Gabe, any ETA on the MCW30 revisions????????????

Charles Barkley

"Poor People have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years ... and they are still poor."

Xtreme Member
    Thx Hardwater!
    and Eric told me sometime next week for release

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hmm, I'm interested guys, just bought the MCW30 and now I see on your pics that everyone left the 'protective folium' or whatever it's called on the block, is that just for testing purposes or does it have to stay on? thnx
    DFI ICFX3200 07/30 w/ MCW30
    E6600 L632A407 w/ EK Supreme
    Powercolor HD3870 w/ MCW60
    OCZ Reaper 2x2GB CAS4
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Silverstone Strider 750W
    MM U2-UFO Extended CYO
    CPU & NB loop = PA120.3, DDC 18W w/ Petra's top, 7/16''
    VGA loop = PA120.2, DDC 18W w/ Petra's top, 7/16''
    10 fans on 7V, PX-750A, all on SM 930BF

" Having a DFI board is like having a hot girlfriend thats a total b1tch" ...

They left it on because they are test mounting, no reason to scratch your block (yet)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by marauder16 View Post
    hmm, I'm interested guys, just bought the MCW30 and now I see on your pics that everyone left the 'protective folium' or whatever it's called on the block, is that just for testing purposes or does it have to stay on? thnx
    pull it off or you end up with a roasted NB, just for testing purposes (i always keep this protectors on until i do the final mount, to keep the base clean (touch it with your unwashed fingers and you'll see what i mean)
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thought so, thnx guys
    DFI ICFX3200 07/30 w/ MCW30
    E6600 L632A407 w/ EK Supreme
    Powercolor HD3870 w/ MCW60
    OCZ Reaper 2x2GB CAS4
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Silverstone Strider 750W
    MM U2-UFO Extended CYO
    CPU & NB loop = PA120.3, DDC 18W w/ Petra's top, 7/16''
    VGA loop = PA120.2, DDC 18W w/ Petra's top, 7/16''
    10 fans on 7V, PX-750A, all on SM 930BF

" Having a DFI board is like having a hot girlfriend thats a total b1tch" ...

Xtreme Addict
    The same principle can be used for boards without holes. I've had spacers fastened to the block forever when using the hoop fastening method. Will not rock at all.

Banned
    Good idea Praz. I never thought to use an "outrigger" for the block back when I used hooks on the i478 mobo.

Thank you for making this thread. Have been looking for ways to make a DO IT YOURSELF MCW30 HARDMOUNT KIT. Now I know which parts to buy at the hardware store instead of having to order it from Swiftech. Thanks, JeffnWV.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    I recognized that Lowe's hardware quickly... I have bought so many of those little baggies!
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

I am Xtreme
    Here we go again with the rash of necro threads.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffnWV View Post
    Parts are 1/4"nylon spacers, and 3/4" 4-40 screws and nuts. I used the nylon spring bushings that come with the chipset blocks and slid it down inside the top of the spacer.
    The combination of the nut, nylon spacer and nylon bushing create the PERFECT distance needed (just under 10cm). The mounting plate rests a hair line above the bushing (which acts as a soft washer with "some" compression for tightening tolerance), when the copper block rests on the chipset.
    Nice mod!

But I think you mean 10mm as 10cm = 3.94inches. . . .
    They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
    Howlin' Pelle Almqvist

Project Log Completed: all internal v1000

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffnWV View Post
    I saw that new mounting kit coming from Swiftech and just figured I could do it myself!
    Eric at Swiftech told me he reversed his screw like you did, but I wanted my screws bolted to the mobo and provide support so the chipset waterblock didn't flex.

Doing it this way, even the screw that's under the gfx card (the one you reversed) is also bolted to the mobo...just is short enuff to clear the card.
    I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a source for those thumb nuts, any idea where they can be found?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Here we go again with the rash of necro threads.
    hahah, Yeah, bro, I was going crazy trying to look for this thread. I made a new thread, but nobody new the size spacer I should get.

Quote Originally Posted by gillbot View Post
    I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a source for those thumb nuts, any idea where they can be found?
    Yeah, I too would like to know where they get those.