Thread: Dimming CCFL's??

Dimming CCFL's??

Just a quick question about dimming CCFL's:

I read on a thread somewhere about dimming CCFL lights. Is this actually possible? I suppose you would have to use a fan controller or something like that, or maybe the Aqua Computers Multiswitch, but are the CCFL's even dimmable? I was looking into this, but couldn't find too much info about variable power inputs.

If I did want to dim the CCFL, I'm assuming I would dim the 12V power source coming in right? And not the actual lead going to the tube?

I was just wondering because I guess you'd have to make sure that the transformers were able to be 'dimmed.'

Thanks!

Xtreme Addict
    Check my build log and you'll find something about this on page 3

It's possible but it won't light up the entire bulb only a little part but that count as dimming on my book and it's working for me.
    //RETIRED-o00o--°(_)°--o00o-OVERCLOCKER//

Cool! Okay, sweet - thanks man! Yeah, I guess what I'm after is just a reduction in light - I wouldn't necessarily worry about the entire tube lighting up because I won't even be able to see them anyways! But it's just that they're a bit too bright for my style as they are :S

Thanks!

I am Xtreme
    Check it out. I know it's not what you had in mind, but this is a brand new product so there should be more info coming to an interwebz near you.

CCFL's will also fade over time, sometimes not a whole lot of time, so you could trade your neww CCFL's with someone's old CCFLs and you would both gain.

@ Twilyth:
    Haha, lol! That's pretty neat. Just wait a few months and they'll always come out with something better! I'll just run 120V into my case and fire up some of those bulbs! It'll be one of those 'never-done-before' mods!! Not to mention, you could slap one of those energy-efficient stickers on there. I'd put it right onto my 1kW PSU !!!! Ahh well, I guess now it's only a matter of time until they implement dimmable CCFLs for PC's!!

Xtreme Member
    I thought the CCFL would start blinking when the voltage is dimmed (not enough electricity).
    MainPC():
    Q6600 + 8GB RAM + 160GB SSD + 1.5TB HDD + Visiontek HD4850 + Gigabyte P965-DS3 rev3.3
    HTPC():
    E4200 + 4GB RAM + 160GB SSD + Samsung F1 2x1TB RAID-0 + Asus EAH 3450 + Asus P5E-VM HDMI + KWorld ATSC-110 HDTV
    Laptop():
    CR-48

Xtreme Addict
    sorry dude ... if you wanted it .. you'll have to do it "manually" either wiring via an analogue/radial fan controller ... it works too .. by reducing the voltage .. but if voltage is too low .. it switches off ..

OR if you can hunt the ebay for this OLD product (no longer produced)

OR you could get this ... Vantec Nexus NXP-301 Fan Controller .. bad concept

hope this helps ... or you could check here http://www.google.com
    Last edited by Serpentarius; 11-12-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: broken image links

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    As mentioned above, works just fine, doing this in my current build. Use an ordinary fan controller on the lead going into the inverter, not going out from inverter to cathode. Also as mentioned, it will result in some reduction in brightness, but mostly will just reduce the amount of tube that lights up, reducing the total illumination.

Just wanted to add my
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Addict
    I've done it with a Fan Controller. It works very well. Gives a deeper darker color, but you can only go so low. Make sure you crank the controller up all the way to get the light "started" and then cut back slowly. It's easier on it. It takes some juice to "get them going".

Xtreme Addict
    well ... there's another one .... i think it's still available ... "MCubed T-Balancer" .. i havent use this before .. but i read it can use plugged to the ccfl instead on the fan

t-balancer-120mm-1.avi
    t-balancer-120mm-2.avi

t-bal-3fan-1.avi
    t-bal-3fan-2.avi
    t-bal-3fan-3.avi
    t-bal-3fan-4.avi

t-bal-2fan-1.avi
    t-bal-2fan-2.avi

t-bal-neostring_1.avi
    t-bal-neostring_2.avi

t-bal-uv-1.avi
    t-bal-uv-2.avi