Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nanofluid: Dual Core Tests and Review

Xtreme Member
    Distilled H20 + PT Nuke $6 for a whole loop

How much would this run?

Never go full retard
    Hopefully I can cover all the questions, if I missed yours kindly point me to your post or ask the question again.

Thank you all for viewing and continuing the conversation after the review. The whole reason I entered the testing arena was to provide data to the community and the follow-on discussions that result. It is through the community discussions that my testing will continue to improve, having hundreds of extra eyes over the testing is the best thing I can ask for. Again, thank you all for pointing out the little things.

Now, to the Q/A portion of the program.

Fluid sensors will be part of the logged temps on the Quad testing. I apologize for not having those ready and available for this test run. However, the stable Ambients (averaged between two sensors) and the Radiator Intake and Exhaust do give an indication as to the heat load being dissipated. I agree it does not clearly point out the Delta T and this would have to be extrapolated from the data collected.

As for pricing and costs, I do not have that information and I cannot even being to speculate, we will all have to wait and see.

The Hydrogen Peroxide bottle...yeah we almost had a little mix-up. My wife had a friend over who had a cut and needed to clean it. Her friend said, "oh you have Hydrogen Peroxide...great". Apparently my wife screamed across the room not to use it. She went and looked at the bottle and realized it wasn't the nanofluid bottle...true story!

Nikhsub, please note that I am not using Max Core Temp value as the determining factor. Average temps are the important numbers as you pointed out. The text was just a narrative to the graph, Min., Avg. and Max. temps were noted and presented. And yes, fluid temps will be part of the Quad test session.

My response to the hope that 123bob's testing would show a significant difference where the tests I peformed do not show a large margin one way or the other. I do not see how that is really possible unless there was a recipe change to the fluid that 123bob recieved from what I did. His test numbers will be very close to mine, he can even use the same test steps I did. That is why I document and present that information, so others can repeat the same tests and compare data. This is the science part of testing, repeatability.

Stained tubes...I can say that there was no tube staining in the time that nanofluid was running in the loop. I did use roughly half a gallon of distilled to flush the loop after draining to remove all nanofluid before running the distilled tests. This was not a long enough time to actually prove or disprove tube staining though.

The Rad Intake/Exhaust 1,2,3 are temp probes on the intake side and exhaust side of the rad measuring air temperature. I have to add more probes now that I have moved up to a 4 fan rad versus a 3 fan and the inclusion of fluid sensors.

Gloves, I did not wear gloves when handling the fluid. I made sure to wash my hands after filling and draining the loop.

Finally, keep the discussion going. I appreciate all of the little things you all have pointed out and I will try to include all recommendations in further testing.

Hamster Powered
    skinnee, great work and very well presented. I look forward to more testing on guads.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

It appears that if you want to use this particular solution of nanofluid in
    a high flow situation, you need to cut it with distilled water. Without
    knowing the percent volume of the nanoparticles in the solution, it seems
    that there is too high of a concentration of nanoparticles, making the
    solution too viscous.

Low flow - thermal conductivity of fluid matters alot

High flow - high viscousity reduces turbulence. The negative effect of that
    to heat transfer outweighs the positive effect of higher thermal
    conductivity

Depending on the flow, there is an optimal concentration for the
    nanoparticles.

Chasing After Diety
    hey skinee can u run the coolant though a multimeter to see just how conductive it is?

If its not that badly conductive as i think it is, i may want to try it on my gpu loop.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    has anyone tried using deuterium as fluid?
    What about unobtainium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by leuler View Post
    It appears that if you want to use this particular solution of nanofluid in
    a high flow situation, you need to cut it with distilled water. Without
    knowing the percent volume of the nanoparticles in the solution, it seems
    that there is too high of a concentration of nanoparticles, making the
    solution too viscous.

Low flow - thermal conductivity of fluid matters alot

High flow - high viscousity reduces turbulence. The negative effect of that
    to heat transfer outweighs the positive effect of higher thermal
    conductivity

Depending on the flow, there is an optimal concentration for the
    nanoparticles.
    The nanofluid has about the same viscosity has water does. It's a bit more viscous but almost like "1/2% milk."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If you all send me a PM with your email address I can send you our research paper. It goes over our tests and results without divulging too much info.

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks relttem for the pdf, it was really informative about nanofluids and the scientific reasoning behind them.

Now where can I get some?

Xtreme Addict
    Interesting stuff.

Aluminium oxide nanoparticles?
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    hey skinee can u run the coolant though a multimeter to see just how conductive it is?

If its not that badly conductive as i think it is, i may want to try it on my gpu loop.
    Yup...I will let you know.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by relttem View Post
    If you all send me a PM with your email address I can send you our research paper. It goes over our tests and results without divulging too much info.
    just how conductive is it.

Thats all i want to know.

Will it fry something if it leaks a little bit? or will i be safe from a small tiny leak.

Its the small leaks that i worry about. Sometimes when a block cracks, or leaks, you dont see it right away. Infact you sometimes dont even notice it until you see your screws are all rusted. :X

Oh and one last test please. If that thing is really that good, whats the freezing point on and can you also mix a tiny bit with antifreeze and see if that hinders or changes the viscosity in it at all. Im actually worrying about the nanoparticles clumping up in the presence of antifreeze.

I may want to throw it on my chiller since a heavier fluid would hold the coldness longer.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 10-22-2008 at 05:43 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Mentor
    I really like the white liquid. Would be awesome to have a totally black and white build.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Enthusiast

That is being tested on here..stay tuned

Will it fry something if it leaks a little bit? or will i be safe from a small tiny leak.

Its the small leaks that i worry about. Sometimes when a block cracks, or leaks, you dont see it right away. Infact you sometimes dont even notice it until you see your screws are all rusted. :X
    It will do no more harm than water. Plus, as noted above, you can see it easier than water when it leaks.

Oh and one last test please. If that thing is really that good, whats the freezing point on and can you also mix a tiny bit with antifreeze and see if that hinders or changes the viscosity in it at all. Im actually worrying about the nanoparticles clumping up in the presence of antifreeze.

I may want to throw it on my chiller since a heavier fluid would hold the coldness longer.
    why do you want to put antifreeze in it? It doesn't need any antifreeze. The nanoparticles have a surfactant that prevents them from clumping. Its freezing point is the same as water.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, if you add any sort of salt or particle to the water it should damp the freezing point. As evidenced by the phase diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    Yeah, if you add any sort of salt or particle to the water it should damp the freezing point. As evidenced by the phase diagram.
    Soluble salts lower the freezing point of water due to bonds formed between
    the ions and the water molecules. These bonds affect the formation of
    ice crystals.

The nanofluid is a colloid, not a solution. The nanoparticles are suspended
    in the water and minimally interact with the water molecules. Doesn't really
    affect the freezing point.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Plus, anytime you go below dew point you are going to have all kinds of condensation issues. That is a whole can of worms that you do not want to open - been there/done that.

You can add antifreeze to it, and would need to if you use it in your chiller.
    The nanoparticles won't clump up due to the antifreeze. Also, the added
    viscosity of the water/antifreeze mixture would help keep the nanoparticles
    suspended, not that the extra help is needed (relttem said that the flow
    keeps them suspended).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    flow keeps them suspended..surfactant keeps them from bonding to each other.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by leuler View Post
    Soluble salts lower the freezing point of water due to bonds formed between
    the ions and the water molecules. These bonds affect the formation of
    ice crystals.

The nanofluid is a colloid, not a solution. The nanoparticles are suspended
    in the water and minimally interact with the water molecules. Doesn't really
    affect the freezing point.
    I need to learn more : (

Thanks for sending me the research paper. I recognized several of the
    papers cited in your paper.

I have plenty of questions for you. However, I don't think you will want to
    divulge the answers. So, good luck. Hope everything pans out.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can tell you anything but the recipe'... - almost anything.

Xtreme Addict
    I wouldn't mind having a stab at the paper myself, if you don't mind.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by relttem View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    I need to learn more : (
    Don't sweat it

Everybody could use a little more learning. I know I do.
    My previous post was partially wrong. The bonds do not directly affect
    the formation of ice crystals. Look at what I found:

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/se...elts-ice.shtml

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast