Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nanofluid: Dual Core Tests and Review

Never go full retard

Nanofluid: Dual Core Tests and Review

To start, I would like the say thanks to the XtremeSystems World Community Grid Team (specifically, Hicks and litteowl) for getting me involved in this test. In addition, a big thank you to relttem and his business partner for supplying me with the fluid to test, without the fluid...no test!

Intro
    There is not a lot know about this mysterious white fluid known as Nanofluid, what I do know is that there are nano sized particles in the fluid that give this fluid the ability to gather and store heat with the ability to release that heat in a highly efficient manner.

I can dispel some rumors I saw posted though. The mysterious particles are not aluminum. So no, the fluid will not cause corrosion or presents a corroding substance into your loop.

With that as a precursor to the testing and review, here is the eye candy you all so eagerly desire.

Caution, this is not Hydrogen Peroxide, just the vessel that I received the fluid in through USPS.

The fluid has an oddly familiar smell to it, reminded me of the smell of plaster. Here is how the fluid looks poured into small dish.

No UV reactive properties, I was surprised by that, I figured it would be like white lettering on a shirt under UV. Nevertheless, absolutely no UV reaction.

Here is the test bench setup for this test with the loop filled with Nanofluid.

Test Setup and Methodology
    Test Specifications are detailed with each of the data tables and graphs. Each and all tests was performed using Prime95 version 25.7 using In-place large FFTs for a 15 minute warm-up period with a logged test cycle of 60 minutes following the warm-up period. Ambient temperatures are averaged between two different sensors. After each test, a 30-minute idle period was observed before starting the next test.

High Flow: Very close, averaged temps are 0.35ºC and 0.33ºC difference for a 60 minute load cycle with Nanofluid having a 1ºC advantage on max core temps for the test cycle.

Medium Flow: Medium flow produced strikingly similar results to High flow, Nanofluid has a lower Max Core Temp by 1ºC, and the difference between average temps shrinks to 0.24ºC and 0.25ºC. At this point, it is looking like a real duel.

Low Flow: High heat loads is where the Nanofluid really starts to outpace Distilled. Nanofluid still grabbed the lower Max temp by 1ºC, but the average temps were what really stood out, Nanofluid has a 1.39ºC and 1.42ºC advantage in average temp and a 2ºC minimum temp advantage.

Closing thoughts
    The low flow tests really makes me eager to put the fluid through a much longer and more rigorous set of test runs with a Quad due to the heat load being higher from a Quad versus that of a Dual, I have a feeling this is where Nanofluid will pull away from Distilled and show a bigger margin. I also plan to do multiple runs of the same test settings with a quad, this will allow me to see if there is any major deviation from run to run for the same test. This is speculation at this point, but a somewhat educated speculation.

For those of you interested in purchasing Nanofluid, I cannot help you there, as to my knowledge this is only a prototype and is not ready for sale to the masses.

This is the first official test I have performed on the test bench, with many more to follow. Equipment has already been added, changed out and modifications made to the bench. A couple things that have not changed are the BlueAqua Custom Series V2 Test Bench (Thanks BlueAqua!), and the CrystalFontz CFA-635.

In closing, I would again like the thank relttem and his business partner for the opportunity to test and report on their creation. Thanks for reviewing the Nanofluid Dual Core test results and review.
    Last edited by skinnee; 09-22-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Well done mate - great review and nice pics!

Looking forward to some more info on this mysterious fluid

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Hopefully it will be a bigger difference for a Quad... doesn't look worth it now. How much would it cost for a loop's worth?

It looks like milk.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I really like the look of this fluid! And I'm also looking forward to more tests. Great work, skinnee!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Excellent work and very interesting!! Thanks for putting in all the time to check it out, just don't forget about it in that bottle and start swabbing a wound or something...
    It does look cool in the tubing.

Xtreme Addict
    Great looking setup!

I had the opportunity to see some of this in person, and I'm impressed. I would love to try some nanofluid over a period of time and determine how it performs long term. I wonder how it would do in a loop with multiple components with a high heat load.

I really look forward in more tests from you Skinnee. If you need a hand, just let me know.

Xtreme Member
    firstly great review

and this could help for making even quieter systems whitout to much performance loss (a low slow pump is even prefered so..)

and last but nog least does it effect components over time (corrode coppers degrade hoses) and does anything grow in it??

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice review skinnee,
    The difference is still too small to justify the use of it, if you can get it.
    We still don't know how it will behave and what are the consequences of using it in a loop for a long period of time.

Retesting with a Quad will be nice, I agree.

PC: Intel Core i7 920 D0 | Kingston Hyperx T1 6GB 2000Mhz 8-8-8 RAM | Foxconn Bloodrage GTI | Sapphire 4870X2 | Perc 5/i - WD 640AAKSx4 RAID0 | Asus 2014L1T | Dell 2407WFP | Lian Li G70 Silver Watercooled
    WaterCooling: Q² Project by The-Fox
    CPU Loop: Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Feser X-Changer 480 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/ DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x4
    GPU Loop: EK-FC4870 X2 Nickel | Swiftech MCR320 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 150 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Awesome review man, very clear and direct presentation. Easily understood even for an idiot like me

Based on your results I'm not seeing see a viable niche for nanofluid. What I mean is that...the point (temp) at which nanofluid gains a significant advantage over distilled, is also the same point at which you should re-consider your heat load and cooling capacity.

Very interesting to see if there's a future for this tech.
    Last edited by Kibbler; 10-22-2008 at 05:19 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    interestingly also is that the ambient temps were actually hotter (not by much) during the nanofluid tests, but the nanofluid was still cooler. Also, notice that the temperature drop across the radiators for the nanofluid was lower. Again, this goes back to the nanofluid having a higher convective heat transfer coefficient, h. The balancing equation Q=hA(T2-T1) shows that when h goes up (A and Q are constant) (T2-T1) can be smaller. Which means that the radiator has more available performance. This also ties into the earlier post about a quieter system by reducing pump speed. Which Skinner showed, and we are also looking into this further.

thanks

Xtreme Guru
    has anyone tried using deuterium as fluid?

Xtreme Addict
    Thank you for the excellent testing.

Since however this is just a prototype, the retail cost of this is unknown at this point. If there ends up only being a 1c or so difference as with the current test, for me it is going to be hard to justify the cost vs. .75c a gallon distilled water.

It does look like milk. Are you sure this isn't just milk that came from some nuclear radiated cow?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    We are, more or less, targeting the people who do some serious overclocking - hopefully, 123Bob's test will show some significant results. And, as you mentioned, this is a prototype, so some tweaking might be necessary. We are already working on that. Finally, you have to admit that when someone asks what kind of liquid you have in your system 'nanofluid' sounds a lot better than 'distilled water'..

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    First let me say that I know how much work goes into this, so thanks for your time but I have a few issues that maybe you can answer. First, why are you using the MAX value to determine which fluid is better? Average is what you should be looking at, and 2 of the 3 tests distilled performed better when looked at average. Second, what are the coolant temps? Without knowing the coolant temps of each liquid, the test is useless... sorry to be a stick in the mud, but we need more info to make a proper determination.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
    First let me say that I know how much work goes into this, so thanks for your time but I have a few issues that maybe you can answer. First, why are you using the MAX value to determine which fluid is better? Average is what you should be looking at, and 2 of the 3 tests distilled performed better when looked at average. Second, what are the coolant temps? Without knowing the coolant temps of each liquid, the test is useless... sorry to be a stick in the mud, but we need more info to make a proper determination.
    on the other forum, 123Bob is going to record the coolant temps. Also, when looking at the numbers you have to look at all the numbers. If you are going to do an entire balance on the system, the radiator intake/exhaust temps will come into play. Of the 9 intake temps 8 were hotter on the nanofluid tests, but the deltaT across the radiator was lower on all the tests (if you average the three deltaTs for each test). You can crunch thru the numbers and get a good approximate coolant temp because the system will be in steady-state. If it wasn't it would either continue to get hotter or colder. And, the heat removed by the radiator is going to be close to the heat picked up by the coolant as it passes over all the components. Of course, you have residual losses thru the tubing etc, so it won't be exactly equal.

But, you are correct in that the coolant temps will tell a lot.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by relttem View Post
    on the other forum, 123Bob is going to record the coolant temps. Also, when looking at the numbers you have to look at all the numbers. If you are going to do an entire balance on the system, the radiator intake/exhaust temps will come into play. Of the 9 intake temps 8 were hotter on the nanofluid tests, but the deltaT across the radiator was lower on all the tests (if you average the three deltaTs for each test). You can crunch thru the numbers and get a good approximate coolant temp because the system will be in steady-state. If it wasn't it would either continue to get hotter or colder. And, the heat removed by the radiator is going to be close to the heat picked up by the coolant as it passes over all the components. Of course, you have residual losses thru the tubing etc, so it won't be exactly equal.

But, you are correct in that the coolant temps will tell a lot.
    How many users here do you think will 'extrapolate' ?? LMFAO. Air temps are important, this is why I didn't mention them, if they were omitted I would have. Maybe this nanofluid has some physics warping abilities that can generate black holes and such, however we would never know this WITHOUT THE COOLANT TEMPS

GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res

Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How many users here do you think will 'extrapolate' ?? LMFAO. Air temps are important, this is why I didn't mention them, if they were omitted I would have. Maybe this nanofluid has some physics warping abilities that can generate black holes and such, however we would never know this WITHOUT THE COOLANT TEMPS
    I agree with that.. I am not even extrapolating all that out..it is a big hassle. I will wait for 123Bob..

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by relttem View Post
    I agree with that.. I am not even extrapolating all that out..it is a big hassle. I will wait for 123Bob..
    But that still won't help THIS test...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    But that still won't help THIS test...
    my non-extrapolating won't help? 123Bob is going to insert thermocouples in the fluid before and after the radiator. That will give an idea of how much heat the nanofluid is picking up, and it will be compared to distilled water. Isnt that what you were after?

Well this stuff looks interesting to say the least.

But if this fluid requires less service then Distilled does ( evaporation, algae and stained tubes) then it might prove usefull to all.

Especially myself since i travel alot and i hate coming home to a Overclocked Petri dish.

Chasing After Diety
    skinee very nice

however word of caution.

That fluid is conductive. And not slightly, i mean bling bling.

So make sure you dont spill anywhere on your hardware or your gonna be asking for it.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    What is the temp of Rad 1 2 3 intake/exhaust etc...air? Sorry for the nubbish question.

At first I thought it was temp measurement, but since you guys guys are arguing over temp of the water, then it must not be it...

Overall nice testing and presentation Skinee, glad to see a local busting out the science of lq cooling. (I think that's Martin's line)
    Cooler Master Haf X
    i5 3750k
    Asrock Xtreme 4
    660 Ti

Banned
    Great work ,great post , clear & concise .. look forward to seeing more testing Keep it up !!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    We are having it checked to see if there is any microbial growth in it. For you non-biology people, it really doesn't take much for algae to get going. So far, we have seen NO growth in our samples. Some of which have been sitting on the shelf for months. They are sealed though. We are going to leave some in an open container to see if that has any effect. Outside of that, there is nothing in the nanofluid to break down. The only thing to worry about would be evaporation, but that would only be the liquid. So, you can just top it off with DI water. The nanoparticles can't escape due to evaporation. I have had nanofluid in my system since June with no problems. I don't do any serious overclocking, but it has been stable. I have NOT turned my system off though. Even when I go out of town for a week I leave the system running.
    If we do have microbial growth we are going to have an additive added that will prevent that.

Xtreme Mentor
    Skinee, thank you for taking the time to do this.
    Excellent work.
    Do you have to use gloves with the nanofluid?
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast