Thread: Danger Den CPX1 pump

Xtreme Member

Danger Den CPX1 pump

The order of the pump was an mistake, I had an DDC pump that was kinda noisy and Martinm210 was very positive about the DD CPXpro so I went for it. Ordered it in a hurry and didn't read the name right and got the pump I orderd but not the pump I wanted. And yes I was very unhappy when I found out that I ordered the wrong pump and was stuck with it.

But now to the problem: My watercooling system is as follows: TC 120.3 DD TDX (old one) Maze5.

I installed the pump at the lowest point with an reservoir directly at the intake. the TC 120.3 is at the top of the case and the loop order is: reservoir - pump - rad - tdx - maze5 - reservoir.

The problem is that the pump is very noisy, kinda sounds like air traped in the pump ore that the impeller is shaving against something. I tilted the case and some air came out but not much. So what must i do? keep trying the run the system hoping the bubbles will come out ore just unhook the pump and do some tests to find out if there is something wrong with the pump?

Ore should I just put it back in it's box an buy a D5 pump?

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    I would never run that pump, no matter who says what about it. Ever. The end.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Addict
    how about you give reasons why instead of throwing out what seems to be an opinion nikhsub1
    i9-10900k@5.3ghz//MSI MEG z490 Unify//32GB Gskill TridentZ b.die@DDR4666//RTX 2080ti(+150/+700) kingpin bios//Samsung 970 Pro//Corsair AX1200i
    Custom Loop: Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6

Xtreme Member
    The pump recomended was the DangerDen CPX pro but I got the CPX1 version, can't get my money back so I'm trying to make the most out of a bad situation.

Isnt this just a rebadged Dtech DB-1 (or maybe the DB-1 is a rebadge of the CPX1). If so then it is air - shake it around a bit and invert and see if that gets rid of the air. If not then probably a more serious problem

These are weak pumps which can cope, just, with 2 blocks and a radiator - as long as not too restrictive. Do not bother if you want to overclock (which might be why Nikhsub1 hates them). But I have 2 in my system because they are very, very quiet.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by Circaflex View Post
    how about you give reasons why instead of throwing out what seems to be an opinion nikhsub1
    OK. They are weak and they have no reliability record. I also hate the pump design. Good enough?

GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res

Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Addict
    Used one in a cpu build for my brother, it was cheap and it gets the job done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    I have a Hydor L30 if you're looking for some serious PWNAGE
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Member
    Ok, I've done the shaking and tilting and no air came out. I pulled the pump out of the system an will try a simple pump reservoir loop tomorrow.
    If it has the same problem with just en reservoir and the pump I'll try to return it.

I was thinking about one other thing, there 2 DD fittings supplied with the pump (those with the short threads), the treads one the one for the inlet where too short so i switched it with an normal fitting. Could this be an problem? This fittng was the only one that worked, I have tried an EK highflow fitting and the thread of that fitting was to short as well.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRedRaider View Post
    Oh Yeah....

My Dual Iwaki Rd30 PWN that Hydor of yours...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
    OK. They are weak and they have no reliability record. I also hate the pump design. Good enough?
    What?

My DB-1 has been powering my GPU loop for over a year now...

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gir92 View Post
    What?

My DB-1 has been powering my GPU loop for over a year now...
    I'm not saying they won't or don't work. Obviously they do. My statement still stands. I would never use one. Ever.

Xtreme Mentor
    Weak yes, but evidently they are pretty reliable. If you are not running any impingement blocks (such as the EK Supreme or the Swiftech Storm) which need strong flow, and your loop is fairly freeflowing, I see no reason why it should not work. Unless, of course, you have a strong negative personal opinion.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
    I'm not saying they won't or don't work. Obviously they do. My statement still stands. I would never use one. Ever.
    That's a shame, because for their size & price they are nothing short of awesome.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Oh Yeah....

My Dual Iwaki Rd30 PWN that Hydor of yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdun View Post
    Do your 'Iwakis' plug straight into the wall? Do your 'Iwakis' have a built-in filter? Are your 'Iwakis' submersible???

YEAH! DIDN'T THINK ABOUT THE ALMIGHTY HYDOR!
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440

Banned
    Be civil. am sure both hydor and rd30 would pwn over his mistaken pump... end of story...

for the OP, you could use that pump, try it out for yourself first, or you may even delegate it for 2nd or 3rd separate loop NB SB Mosfets etc...

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    It was a joke, the Hydor felt like trash before I even knew any better.

Banned
    good of you to explain that to the OP.

else some Mods might think that you, R3 and Hotdun are about to start not being civil to each other...

very hard to explain things with just words and smileys that are often the cause of misunderstandings...

Hey Andrew, i think i'll fold and fold in WCG till I eventually catch up to you soon... or not... hehehe...

peace to you guys...

Xtreme Member
    The supreme land of rules and regulations
    Quote Originally Posted by eltinio View Post
    Ok, I've done the shaking and tilting and no air came out. I pulled the pump out of the system an will try a simple pump reservoir loop tomorrow.
    If it has the same problem with just en reservoir and the pump I'll try to return it.

I was thinking about one other thing, there 2 DD fittings supplied with the pump (those with the short threads), the treads one the one for the inlet where too short so i switched it with an normal fitting. Could this be an problem? This fittng was the only one that worked, I have tried an EK highflow fitting and the thread of that fitting was to short as well.
    If the threads are too long, this certainly could be the problem causing the behavior you are describing. Definitely something you should look into.

Xtreme Member
    I had the pump out and hooked it up to a bay reservoir only, the sound was still there so air really isn't the problem. I did check if threads could hit the impeller but there is an standoff to protect the impeller form this. And an shorter fitting just wouldn't work.

The pump is back in the system and I will see how much noise I can hear with the case closed (LianLi pc 2110), this will be a temporary fix. When i find a good deal on a D5 I'll go for that.

Xtreme Member
    Hydor L30 is good for loop cleaning

worse pump ever......it's weak and failed within 6 month.
    Water Cube: Sunbeam UFO CUBE Acrylic Case
    Mobo: Asus CrossHair II Formula
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 920@258X14=3.6Ghz@1.45V
    CPU Water Block: D-Tek FuZion V2
    Memory: Mushkin 996599 Kit XP2-8500 6GB-
    Video Card:BFG Geforce 250GTS 1GB X2 SLI Geforce PhysX ENABLED
    SSD: INTEL SSDSA2M040G2GC X 2 RAID0 80GB
    Pumps: Swiftech MCP350 Modded to MCP355 In-Line 12V DC Pump with XSPC top &
    XSPC "Bay-Res" Pump/Reservoir Combo
    SouthBridge Water Block: Enzotech SNBW Rev.A
    Northbridge Waterblock:XSPC X2O Delta Chipset Waterblock-
    Tube: Saint-Gobain Tygon R-3603 Clear Tubing 20' 3/8" ID -
    Radiator for GPUs:Black Ice® GT Stealth 120 Highest Performance Radiator
    Radiator for CPU, NB & SB - XSPC RS240 Radiator
    PSU:Antec NeoPower 650 Watt Blue LED PSU
    OS:Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Fan Controller Panel:Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Rheobus-Extreme
    Logitech Black Wired Ultra-thin Illuminated Keyboard
    Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse
    Logitech G13 USB Advanced Gameboard
    Logitech ClearChat PC Wireless USB Supra-aural Headset

Xtreme Addict
    comparing what was a 30$ aquarium pump to probably 300$ in pumps not counting the psu's for them is kinda not fair.

especially when for a single block loop chances are the L30 would be within .5 - 1c

Necro Thread Time. Too dang funny. Im about to sell an older gaming pc and needed to look up some specs on the components and came across this thread. I installed a simple CPU loop from some spare parts laying around. One of them in particular is the pump, DD CPX1. I used to pump from way back 05, 06, 07?? Not exactly sure but its been well over 10 years. (my son was barely a teenager and now is a college grad, LOL) It was installed in my son's PC (CPU + 1GPU + 2-120 Rads) and has been running nearly non stop (except for cleaning, upgrading, transporting to LANs) up until last summer when I built him a new gamer. (MCP 655 this time, 3 RADs, CPU, GPU, 4 RAM.) I have had a MCP355 and a MCP655 tank on me with MUCH less run time on similar setups. Just wanted to toss that out there. I think I got my money's worth outta it.