Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How did you come up with your nickname?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's an acronym from a joke from high school. My friend had a small forum of about 10 people and when I registered I tried to think of a funny name. Being weird for a 17-year-old, I settled on Your Mother's An Astronaut (ended up being YourMothersAnAstronaut due to the size limit on names).

The acronym came about when I spoke one day in the Shoutbox (live chat area for Premium Members) on another forum I frequent. Since my name is so long it would mess up the layout of the shoutbox by moving the text further over to the right. Naturally everyone groaned. One of the admins couldn't take it anymore so he shortened my name to YMAA. Guess the name stuck.

(That being said, I use TheB3taMale for gaming >_>)

• i7 920 D0 // eVGA X58 SLI // 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws // HD6950 (6970 BIOS)
    • Apogee XT // MCP655 // Thermochill PA120.3 // CM HAF 932
    • OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition // ASUS Xonar DX // Corsair TX850
    • HTC Incredible - Uber Kingdom Revolution ROM

XS News
    From the Simpsons.
    RIP Dad. I will miss you always.

Q6600,DFI X48 T2R,280 GTX,4gig ReaperX,XiFi Prelude,LL TYR PC X-2000,Westinghouse 37,Klipsch 5.1 Ultra

Xtreme Member
    Mine is pretty simple...I am do random things and the platypus is a fascinating animal.

Banned
    6'5" 350# the daddy part is a little sappy.. Always looking out for others.. (don't have any kids yet)

Xtreme Addict
    I came up with mine while living in Mexico. I was in Manzanillo, whose airport code is ZLO. My name is Jack.
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Xtreme Cruncher
    My nickname comes from a character named Cyrus Spitama in the book Creation by Gore Vidal. I started using Cyrus as an alt in the late 90's playing a game called Delta Force. However Cyrus is always taken anywhere I go so I just added on the GNS which was my clans tag in df. I think the only time I managed to get the name Cyrus itself was playing Lineage II.

People used to call me Biff, the guy from Back to the future. Tall, Stocky and i can Mess up the punch line of a joke like no other..hahaha

When i was in the Military they even authorized to have it put on my name tape. So yah it stuck with me though the years.

Biffman is just gamer/chat/fourms handle.

Xtreme Addict

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BiFfMaN View Post
    People used to call me Biff, the guy from Back to the future. Tall, Stocky and i can Mess up the punch line of a joke like no other..hahaha

When i was in the Military they even authorized to have it put on my name tape. So yah it stuck with me though the years.

Biffman is just gamer/chat/fourms handle.
    My favorite movie lol.... so any pic of how you look?
    lol... This forum requires that you wait 70 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.
    *phone rings*
    Friend: Do you have a spare PSU lying around?
    Me: No why?
    Friend: My PSU just blew up, I think the second 8800GTX might have been too much for it to handle
    Me: what PSU was that again?
    Friend: Antec 480w
    Me:........

Xtreme Enthusiast

Hhmmm.....

My name is David..... Maybe someone can guess the rest?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mailedD14 (3).jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	87405  

sleepin is overrated
    o.k my turn

Fav film is aliens

been using it since internet came about !!!
    I,m on most forums as it so if you come across an user called Acid its prob me unless due to site nukes ect some one got it and i had to use -Acid-

Xtremely unstable
    In my younger days I had a reputation for what some people might consider outrageous or even dangerous behavior. Heavy drug use, heavier drinking, fighting, and run ins with the law too numerous to mention. Somehow through all this people started to get the notion that I might be a little unbalanced and unstable mentally. People took to calling me loony along with a bastardization of my last name.
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    TR ultra-x, 2 scythe ultrakaze push/pull
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -------------------------------

would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!

Xtreme Addict
    Nice to meet you IFMU, bump!

Bo_Fox.. well, I do not want to exactly explain it yet!! Maybe at some point later on in my life!

In my avatar, the girl on the right is named "Bo", since she's just a tad bit masculine, and the one on the left is "Fox", just like Foxxy Cleopatra with an afro.
    Last edited by Bo_Fox; 08-15-2009 at 10:17 PM.

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Legend
    Until I was 40 I was bulletproof or so it seemed...then along came surgery leaving a 10 inch scar down the centre of my stomach. I've never had good stomach muscles since nor, it seems, the stamina I enjoyed before. It left me feeling like an .......Old Chap.

You might see me elsewhere as grumpydaddy...this one is, according to my kids, just descriptive

My interest in computers is really only since end 2007 (I'd talk about the dos days but my memory isn't what it was) so when joining forums last year there was really no thought went into either name...I guess that shows too.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

of the Strawhat crew.
    I've had mine for many many years. When I was very young I was (I think I still am ) very skillful at games and I would beat them very quickly without effort. When trying to come up with a nickname I decided that beating games quickly could be loosely translated into killing them. Thus, I am, Gamekiller.
    My nick gets taken from time to time somehow. =[ Happens more now that some horrible band named themselves Gamekiller...

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Cruncher
    i was watching spongebob while making some account and i have used it all over the internet. as for the digits they are my area code.

Xtreme Member
    its my name
    [SIZE="1"]Gateway MT6707 Notebook
    Intel Pentium Dual Core T2060 1.6 GHz
    Memory 2048 MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    224 MB shared video memory
    High definition audio 2 channel
    160 GB HD
    8X Multi-format dual layer optical drive
    802.11g wireless LAN
    4 USB 2.0 ports

If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039

If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, then put this in your sig

WCG Cruncher
    my plan A never quite seems to work out properly, so I am always resorting to a plan B, hence the name

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

A good read.

Mine's simple - shazza is slang for "Sharon," and I worked for an Australian company for 30 years and lived in Australia for 3 ... so it just kinda stuck. It's my "gaming" persona

Xtreme Cruncher
    I was trying to come up with a name for a new email account and Poppageek just popped in my head. I guess it came from me having 3 daughters and many kids I sorta adopted as their parents were too busy for them. I played alot of Quake and UT and beat the kids hanging out at the house and the 20 somethings at work. When you walked into my house the living room and one bedroom were all computers. Got some real funny reactions from people. Some said they thought they had entered the Matrix. Living room was mostly game PCs for me and kids to game on the lan. Bedroom was a FreeBSD cluster running Distributed.net. Game PCs ran Seti. I wasn't the only one found my x-wife hard to live with so the kids lived with me.

So I was a Poppa to many kids and a geek. People either liked it or thought it funny and I have used it for a long time now. Had a domain for several years and an Ebay store. Email and IM and other accounts.

I am Addicted!
    I didn't realize we even had this thread, but it kind of cool to see where everyone came or got their names from.

as for me its kind of a long story; so I will try to shorten it a bit:

About 10 yrs ago a buddy and I were really into going to the mountains and 4 wheeling (trucks). I had a 79 F150 4x4. W e stripped it down to the frame, completely dissassembled the entire truck, took off all factory brackets and custom fabbed new brackets and rebuilt the truck from the ground up. went all out on it. in the end put a 15" or so lift on it, 44" tall tires, made it a 3/4 ton, etc. So I wanted to get personalized plates for it. couldnt think of anything really and wanted something cool that would fit the truck and myself.

So INFRNL (Infernal) came to mind. Infernal has quite a few different definitions but overall fits my lifstyle and who I am from the past and all the stupid things I have done. So I got my personal plates.

I joined the AMD forums a while back; I believe when they came out with the socket A chips...could have been earlier, can't recall. Anyways needed a user name so I decided to use the name from my plates; makes it simple; I cannot recall any other users using the name, maybe similar or fully spelled out, but not like I have it. So I have been using ever since.

I have used it for some e-mail addys as well, but in the past few years I have changed my e-mail addy to LucienTech cause I was going to start a small business which was computer/electronic oriented.

LucienTech comes from my sons middle name and abb for Technology...similar to Lucent Technologies, but different. I only use LucienTech for ebay and my email. INFRNL is my forum name only, besides my plates of course.

and there you have it. its a lot more complex than this, but this is the short version.

(o.O)
    I started on prodigy a while back with my 28.8 but nothing from there ever stuck...

My current name, Rise came from the need for a "handle" (must have just finished watching Hackers or something ) and during 10th grade global studies my friend "dosa" (means master in korean) was wearing a Rise Above skating shirt and i thought it sounded cool, so Rise it was.

From then on, I... obtained the name Rise on AOL and had it up until a few years ago where it got repo'd I even had Rise on battlenet for a while until i stopped playing starcraft/diablo 2 for long enough where it disappeared (I had Ri$e as well) and was taken by someone else. Nowadays its much tougher to get, but i still get lucky sometimes - just got it last night at the 2+2 forums

lastly, i'm also well known as SC2GGRise on youtube where I do english commentaries of korean pro starcraft and so that has become fairly popular in the starcraft community so i'm guessing that will stick in that universe for when starcraft 2 and diablo 3 come out.

other gaming/forum names: deadshot (cs), wacky_4_cracky (sc), officespacer (wopr)

btw, thanks for the thread necro, this is a fun one and a good read!
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

Iron Within Iron Without
    A long time ago I bought an PC [ They were called PC100 and PC133 , can't remember the producer , maybe SYS ] board, can't remember what number but it was in the era of K5 75 ~ 133.
    My PC was lying on the side so you could look directly on the tiny fans spinning, liked that. And one day a screwdriver rolled down from my desk
    and landed directly on the opened PC , Short Cricuiting something and BANG , few Capacitors blew off [ Condensator caled here ]

And then While playing with an older 486 type board I managed to repeat it by a mistake and there it was... my Nickname was born.
    Sony PS3 | Nintendo Wii + Nintendo Wii Fit

By Mercedes - Adventure Trips around Middle Europe in a Youngtimer | https://www.facebook.com/S.Mercedesem - Like Us, if you Like us that is

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mine's from my initials, and 23 is my favorite number, from a great basketball icon. Of course you don't need to guess who he is.
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think it was something close to 15 years ago when I was trying to come up with a good name. Looking at some amazing vodka bottles I got then (huge 5 litre Smirnoff bottles that were way old) I got my inspiration. Being 15 years old you want something "cool" right? The name stuck till today, but in quite a few different variations.

Particle. Hmm.

Back in the day when ICQ was the new, cool thing since it was the first time the concept of instant messaging had ever been implemented, I went by "Laser". At the time, my brother thought that was lame and continually gave me crap about how unimaginative it was. Eventually, I decided I was bored of it as well and thought for something similarly cool (I was fascinated by lasers at the time) and took a sidestep to the concept of a particle beam. Hence, "Particle" was initiated into service. I've stuck with it ever since then.

No, I didn't name myself after the They Might Be Giants song, "Particle Man" even though it was one of my favorite songs at the time.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast