Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Far Cry 2 Copy Protection SecuROM DRM

Xtreme Mentor

Far Cry 2 Copy Protection SecuROM DRM

Quote Originally Posted by ubisoft
    Some of you have been asking about the copy protection used in Far Cry 2. Here's a summary of how it will work:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system).

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

We'll keep an eye out for any other major questions on this matter and update this sticky accordingly."
    Link

Not buying Farcry2 no more

Fair enough it's a bit more Reasonable then the spore + Crysis Warhead version but to hell with that
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Addict
    I dont see why that is so unreasonable? If it installs rootkits then remove them...
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by [cTx]Raptor22 View Post
    I dont see why that is so unreasonable? If it installs rootkits then remove them...
    Why should they have the power to install them, I only brought the game to have the game, not some added rootkit
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    Why should they have the power to install them, I only brought the game to have the game, not some added rootkit
    Well, the rootkit is a general term for many different things. Anything they would install would not be malicious software and wouldn't interfere with anything. Why miss out on a (potentially) great game (like people did with Bioshock, arguably one of the best) just because they are worried about a few kb of files in the background. As long as you dont pirate stuff you are fine.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [cTx]Raptor22 View Post
    Well, the rootkit is a general term for many different things. Anything they would install would not be malicious software and wouldn't interfere with anything. Why miss out on a (potentially) great game (like people did with Bioshock, arguably one of the best) just because they are worried about a few kb of files in the background. As long as you dont pirate stuff you are fine.
    Actually, in most cases pirates have it easier than legal users. Using Bioshock as an example: legal users could only install the game a total of 5 x (and with much hastle) while pirates could just freely install however many times they pleased.

all outta gum
    I wonder if Steam version will have the same protection, or will it be just generic Steam activation and login.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Member
    Why are people worried?

Well if I upgrade my system more than 3 times ie: x38 > x48 > x58 > xx8
    have i used my 3 different systems up?
    and now do not 'own' the game any more?

what is this expiry date crap anyway?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CoolerMaster Stacker 830SE|Antec Signature 850W|Gigabyte X58A-UD5 F5 slic2.1
    Intel Core i7 930 16x200@3,200Mhz|vcore 1.14|Intel Stock CPU Cooler
    GSKILL DDR3 Perfect Storm 2000 @6-6-6-16-1T 1600Mhz|ATI 5870 1024MB 850/1200
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bootdisk: Crucial RealSSD-C300 128GB SATA-III

Xtreme Addict
    Well, if it's anything like Mass Effect...... I dunno..

Mass Effect DRM is positively anal. I only made one hardware change, which was to swap out my video card so I figured I'd have two activations left out of three.

Come to find out, I had already used up all of my activations by changing drivers and other piddly crap..

So I had to call EA and get an extension, which they had no problem doing of course.

But still, it's definitely anal.
    Last edited by Carfax; 10-19-2008 at 12:35 AM.
    Intel Core i7 6900K
    Noctua NH-D15
    Asus X99A II
    32 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3400 CL15 CR1
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    Sennheiser HD-598
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Western Digital Raptor 600GB
    Asus 12x Blu-Ray Burner
    Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner with NEC chipset
    Antec HCP-1200w Power Supply
    Viewsonic XG2703-GS
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Logitech G502 gaming mouse w/Razer Exact Mat
    Logitech G910 mechanical gaming keyboard
    Windows 8 x64 Pro

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't see why they keep putting SecuRom on games, they obviously don't have a hard time cracking it.

Xtreme Addict
    a pita

Xtreme Member
    Activation is not about piracy - it's about restricting second-hand market.When the software will be registered only to your name it will be impossible or very difficult to sell it.

Piracy is like terrorism,you know, they restrict your rights to "protect" you

I won't buy into this scam so shouldn't you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Whatever happened to the law suit that said this kind of copy protection was violating the integrity of the computers of the users?

//Andreas

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbspapp View Post
    I don't see why they keep putting SecuRom on games, they obviously don't have a hard time cracking it.
    Its to force the legit customers to buy a second copy if they fail in uninstalling to revoke 1 of the 5 installs.

I buy all my games that i play often. But I will just get the download version this time around. I have a useless spore collectors edition gathering dust because of this activation crap and yes i paid full retail for it $110 USD. Steam usually means as many installs as you want.

c[_]
    Not completely.. some games you get from STEAM come with their own key and require a bit of work to actually make work right.

Flatout Ultimate Carnage for example.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    I don't understand why they still borring the honnest people that pay the game with this kind of f*** protection system ...
    They really want that the people download the game with p2p ?
    Windows XP pro SP2
    Windows 7 familly premium 64 bits
    Asus rampage extreme II
    Intel i920 D0 21x205mhz@1.36V
    Circuit cpu : swiftech apoge xt, réservoir MCRES micro, tygon 12/19, pompe sanso PDH 054, radiateur feser 240 X-changer, 4 ventillateurs scyth ultra-kaze 3000 monitorés par un noise-isolator, 2 jupes fabriquées avec des ventillos de 38x120mm et 2 de 25x120mm
    Circuit VGA : waterblock eVGA/swiftech hydrocoper, tygon 12/19, réservoir MCRES, pompe ddc3.2 avec top xpsc, radiateur LCR XT2, 4 ventillateurs zalman zm-f3 monitorés par un réostat noise-isolator, 2 jupes fabriquées avec des ventillos de 38x120mm
    3x2Go g-skill perfect storm 2133@821mhz 6/7/6/21 1.65V
    Pc power and cooling turbocool 860W
    eVGA gtx480 fw hc@770/1739/1011
    Cambridge megaworks THX550
    graveur DVD-RW pionneer DVR 212
    lecteur DVD Samsung SH-D163B
    Velociraptor 300Go
    Crucial M-225 128Go
    alienware OptX AW2310
    Nvidia 3D vision
    Thermaltake Mozart Tx

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why publishers bother themselves with copy protection? They know the game will be cracked 3 minutes after release (or 3 days before) and yes, Jon Doe is more than capable of obtaining a pirate copy of the game. Just type "game+torrent" in google and there you go.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Banned
    It makes me want to get a console.

Xtreme Addict
    By the time you use up your activations you probably won't want to play the game any more anyway; unless you go through 3 computers in 6 months.

Xtreme Addict
    Steam version it is then.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by Caparroz View Post
    Why publishers bother themselves with copy protection? They know the game will be cracked 3 minutes after release (or 3 days before) and yes, Jon Doe is more than capable of obtaining a pirate copy of the game. Just type "game+torrent" in google and there you go.
    Well, this is just an educated guess, because I have no ties whatsoever with this particular segment of the market, apart from being yet another end user.

Developing games I presume goes far beyond the people that actually code it. It needs distribution, it needs investment, it needs project management...

All the people involved at these stages, who are "risking" their money on it, want guarantees. Want control. They want to be able to decide who, where and under which circumstances the product can be used.

The companies that develop DRM come up with something that fills that need. And because they don't do it for the goodness of their hearts, but, as any other software, for a nice fee, it's in their best interest to both promote fear among their potential customers and to come up with the medicine that placates that fear.

The more restrictive your product is, the more it satisfies this artificial sense of security. Changing human mentality is bloody hard work, feeding a small collective's paranoia and then providing with the drug that supresses it is much more easier (and profitable).

Xtreme Guru
    I'll buy this game if I like it (especially for MP of course as the map editor looks awesome) but even if I'd buy it I'd still install a cracked copy.

Since it's SecuROM I expect it to be cracked the same day it's released.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 10-19-2008 at 02:38 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Steam can have games that have their own copy protection service, in this case they just use Steam as a download service, nothing else. Such examples are Bioshock and Crysis Warhead which both required activations via Securom.

Steam is particularly ambigious on the matter because they know it may cost them sales, it is hard as dirt to find out what copy protection any of their offerings have. It is actually quite upsetting as most people really respect Steam and the way they work.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Addict
    A real shame, I like having the box for sentimental value.

Guess I'll have to go down the steam method and leave my laptop out of this one.
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
    Why are people worried?

Well if I upgrade my system more than 3 times ie: x38 > x48 > x58 > xx8
    have i used my 3 different systems up?
    and now do not 'own' the game any more?

what is this expiry date crap anyway?
    No As long as you completely uninstall the game from your computer their system will revoke(WTF?) that installation and you may use it again
    Proud owner of an iPhone3G 16G White

SpiTweaker by Monteboy,try it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't think ill bother buying this one.. i bought crysis warhead on steam and it still installed securom on my pc

When its easier to pirate it than to run legit, then i really see no point in buying it. And that's not taking the cost of the game into consideration at all.
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast