Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will this spell an end to L/C setups?? New Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 mobos...

Chasing After Diety
    no offense, and speaking off topic.

But cant you guys see, having more copper, without active cooling can only lead to the copper getting hotter since theres more mass for the heat to escape off to and get trapped?
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodToGo View Post
    Woah awesome results Thought you would be posting those in the Q9650 thread...
    still playin around .....I'm not used to the Bios from Gigabyte Soo trying to figure what all the settings should be ..
    I'll post them when I get a decent O/c'ed stable
    but for now the learning curve is steep for me
    as I'm No expert at O/C'in' YET
    working at it though ! trail by error is my motto

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    no offense, and speaking off topic.

But cant you guys see, having more copper, without active cooling can only lead to the copper getting hotter since theres more mass for the heat to escape off to and get trapped?

I'd expect the copper to spread the heat out a little more, thus creating a larger surface area for the air to interact with. The same principle that applies to using a double instead of a single radiator - you're still moving the same amount of heat energy, but you don't need nearly as high of an air-water delta to accomplish it. In the same way, this might help reduce peak chipset temperatures a little.

Of course, once the air absorbs the heat, it still needs to be carried away, but that's a different issue.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    I think that liquid cooling the chipset goes in and out with generations anyway, so this might be one of those times where it isn't worth it, just like there have been many before. And then maybe later, there will be yet another ultra-hot northbridge that needs water to get good overclocks.

It's not the end, but it might be "one of those times".
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so your saying that chipset cooling is kind of like bell-bottom jeans?? i guess i can see the similarities. As manufacturers produce new chipsets, they will run cooler, until they figure out how to push them to their limits, in turn creating boiling hot stock chipsets. Thats a pretty good tought AndrewZorn, i hadn't thought of it like that... I am still curious as to the benefits watercooling would have on a UD3 Gigabyte board. I wonder if this extra copper would lend a hand to running cooler temps, in both air and liquid cooled setups... hmm anyone care to do some benching?

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    No, I'm not talking about generations like 'style'. I'm talking about how NF4 didn't need liquid-cooled chipset, P35 doesnt, 790i does. It just seems to be something that comes and goes based on demand. This might be one of the technologies that makes the next 'generation' not worth it, but who knows, there might be some super-hot chipset that comes out that needs cooling to fly.

EDIT oh ok, didn't understand how you were saying you agreed.

But I don't think extra copper in the board will be magical for temperatures. This is info from the manufacturer. I can't see it helping by more than 10*C at normal operating temperatures. And even then, like you said, all that's going to happen is it getting pushed even further, to the point of producing just as much heat or more (by manufacturers or us, who knows).
    Last edited by AndrewZorn; 10-19-2008 at 03:01 PM.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440

Xtreme Addict
    If manufacturers would worry more about making effective heatpipe designs, rather than pretty ones, watercooling the chipsets would be a moot point.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    It's amazing how a solid copper traditionally-designed heatsink is what people use the replace those gaudy things, for both chipsets and mosfets.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well here's an excellent example. Introduce: Gigabyte EX-58 (with UD3)

well, this board would seem to have a little bit of everything for everyone. and speaking of gaudy heatpipe designs, that's there too. It takes up an entire expansion slot... FTW!!?! Some of the designs showing up these days just makes no sense anymore. I know that we are talking about computers with millions of microscopic pieces etc etc, but what ever happened to "short and simple" idealogy?

Xtreme Addict
    Anyone else seeing the irony of an UD3 board, which is supposed to run cooler thanks to the extra copper, having such a large cooling setup?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i was wondering the same thing... If they can advertise a 50C degree difference in temp somewhere (i have no clue where...) then why would a UD3 board need such massive heatpipe cooling if the board is supposedly designed to run cooler anyways? something sure smells fishy... good point MpG!

Banned
    LOL, stupid marketing at his best

I can see the design helping with better FSB but no way it help with temps at all...

Xtreme Member
    Lol yea. And that boards' cooling is all aluminum too. No copper. The north bridge has a built in waterblock, but that too is aluminum. They fix the lego puke colors so that it looks better, but at the same time move from copper chipset cooling to aluminum.

Make up your mind!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperbob View Post

well, this board would seem to have a little bit of everything for everyone. and speaking of gaudy heatpipe designs, that's there too. It takes up an entire expansion slot... FTW!!?! Some of the designs showing up these days just makes no sense anymore. I know that we are talking about computers with millions of microscopic pieces etc etc, but what ever happened to "short and simple" idealogy?
    Why O why must they ruin a really nice looking board with STUPID COLOURS everywhere! Theyt do it on everyboard these days. , pink and green dimm sockets wtf!
    Last edited by Lloyd; 10-19-2008 at 06:03 PM.
    Rig 1: Intel i7 2600K | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Corsair Vengence 1600 C8 | Asus GTX 580 | 1x Corsair F3 240GB | 1x WD 1TB Black | Asus Xonar D2X | Silverstone TJ07 | BigNG | Corsair HX1000 | Corsair A50 |

Rig 2: Intel QX6700 | Asus Maximus II Formula | 8GB Corsair DDR2 |HIS 4870 1GB | 3x 500GB F1 RAID0 | X-FI Fatal1ty | CM-690 II |Corsair HX750 | Corsair A50 |

Rig 3: Intel E6850 @ 3.6GHz Fuzion V2| Asus Maximus Extreme | Full EK NB/SB/Fets | 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1800| EVGA 8800GTX KO EKFC8800GTX |2x WD640GB RAID0 | Laing DDC3.2 w/Petra top | 120.2 BIX | 120.2 BIS | EK 150 Res | BigNG | X-Fi Fatal1ty | Akasa Eclipse |

| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 on all |

Banned
    Maybe they hired colorblind designers

Chasing After Diety
    blah.. whats the point in all that when we're just gonna rip it off?
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    You said it sniperbob, "(for the price)". Those of us that can afford a real mb get one. Rampage, striker, p5e3, and so on. Gigabyte was one of the worst products I ever owned. Would'nt heve another one. Ever. Unless I was broke.

I am Xtreme
    i think the extra copper is good
    i think WC will never die.. on any component
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperbob View Post

[IMG]Pic of the gigabyte board.[/IMG]
    It looks like some kid has chosen the colours from a LEGO set!

If you looked close enough, you would've seen that the X58-UD3EXTREME features barb connectors. So there is still room for watercooling

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BieBiep View Post
    So there is still room for watercooling
    Given enough time and money, you can potentially watercool anything! why else would brands sell blocks for things like RAM and HDD's (both of which i feel are highly unnecessary...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12