Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RUMOR] Industry source: Lynnfield hard to overclock

Xtreme Legend

[RUMOR] Industry source: Lynnfield hard to overclock

I suggest you to take following with a grain of salt:

A friend of mine who is working in industry has learned that Intel will be preventing Lynnfield overclocking capabilities. First of all Intel will remove 4 pins from LGA1160 socket and it will be called LGA1156.

Second Lynnfield will only support BCLK (Base clock) 100 and 133 MHz, and no external clock signal fun like with X58 chipset. He is afraid Lynnfield won't be good for overclocking...

Lets hope our own DrWho? will give us some early hints and hopefully he will give me a lecture just like IDF earlier this year

(From The Overclocker issue 2)

source: Muropaketti
    Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

Xtreme Addict
    Somewhere on earth between Taipei, Paris and Montreal
    that's sounds bad, we will need to find other way to oc :/ (hardware modification ?) maybe we should wait more infomrtion to confirm or not this rumor ....
    Overclocking-TV Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hipro5 View Post
    Ha, ha, ha.....NO WAY.....When I show someone preparing to take a shot, I hided the cigarette....

Xtreme Member
    i smell modding "fun"

oh well, guess the midrange overclockers will be sitting on their e8XXX and Q8XXX/9XXX processors for quite some time, if this turns out to be true
    system:

Phenom II 920 3.5Ghz @ 1.4v, benchstable @ over 3,6Ghz (didnt test higher)
    xigmatek achilles
    sapphire hd4870 1gb @ 820 1020
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
    8gb a-data 4-4-4-12 800
    x-fi xtrememusic
    rip 2x 160gb maxtor(now that adds up to 4...)
    320gb/250gb/500gb samsung

Xtreme Member
    Isn't this what was rumored about Nehalem as well which turned out to be completely false?

Intel Core i7-5930K(ES) 4.4GHz (100x44) 1.35V
    ASUS Rampage V Extreme 3701
    Corsair Dominator 4x4GB DDR4-3000C15 (15-17-17-35) 1.35V
    ASUS GTX680DCII Top SLI
    1x Intel 750 800GB SSD
    2x Intel 730 240GB SSD RAID-0
    Plextor PX-820SA DVD-RW
    Antec 920
    Corsair Obsidian 750D case w/ Corsair HX1000W PSU

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I remember hipro's 1st overclock was achieved by replacing the quartz clock gen on the board with a faster one. Do i sense deja vu ?

Xtreme Guru
    I doubt strap-on turboPLLs work with Lynnfield...
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Cruncher
    We kinda heard this before. Tho with Bloomfield

Also changing socket sounds odd, even if they remove 4 pins. The 4 extra pins would just be "unused at this stage.

And the external baseclock is the same. Lynnsfield is exactly like Bloomsfield. The QPI is just replaced with PCIe ondie and only 2 memory channels. Everything else functions the same way.

So I put this with "bloomfield" cant OC category
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Coat It with GOOOO
    I'm still thinking this could be true for the Ibex Peak based platforms. There's no apparent connect that carries the clock signal to the CPU. With any of the UP/DP/MP platforms that use Tylersburg, the reference clock must be synchronized between all the sockets and that's why you have clock generation done off die and split/distributed from the Tylersburg chipset through the QPI links connecting everything. With Lynnfield, there's really only 1 component that actually needs that clock signal, the CPU. In the effort of simplicity/cost, power savings, and maybe to some tiny extent performance, just connect the PLL directly to the CPU.

It might just be that Lynnfield is limited to multiplier overclocking only.
    Main-- i7-980x @ 4.5GHZ | Asus P6X58D-E | HD5850 @ 950core 1250mem | 2x160GB intel x25-m G2's |
    Wife-- i7-860 @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte P55M-UD4 | HD5770 | 80GB Intel x25-m |
    HTPC1-- Q9450 | Asus P5E-VM | HD3450 | 1TB storage
    HTPC2-- QX9750 | Asus P5E-VM | 1TB storage |
    Car-- T7400 | Kontron mini-ITX board | 80GB Intel x25-m | Azunetech X-meridian for sound |

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Blauhung View Post
    It might just be that Lynnfield is limited to multiplier overclocking only.
    And as we all know, Intel has had multipliers locked upwards in all other models than Extreme Editions..
    Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampsa View Post

Lets hope our own DrWho? will give us some early hints and hopefully he will give me a lecture just like IDF earlier this year

(From The Overclocker issue 2)

source: Muropaketti
    Like he pointed out on Aceshardware forum: he's only giving his personal opinions... and as he demonstrated so well in discussion about intel's "cheating" in Cinebench benchmarks, only giving them if there's something positive or hypeositive to say about his company

In other words his silence will speak also

anyhow, nice finding Sampsa! I guess it's only matter of hours before this hits mainstream "news" sites
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    I wonder if C2 will be the last one where you actually could overclock even the cheapest model*.
    It's like Intel wants to make some room for AMD**: they have no true successor to the C2D*** and simply leaves the <$200 OCing CPU**** market*****.

* Sure, it's all rumors, maybe you can overclock the new ones. Are they called something like Core i5 or what?
    ** No, AMD may not be able to fill that market even if it will exist, but I think a situation like this will be good for them.
    *** I'm not saying that C2 is outdated already, but if these rumors are true then it's hard to see a future upgrade unless you pay in €i7-money.
    **** Yeah cheaper €i7 may show up.
    ***** Yeah I know that very few cares about overclocking in general.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Meh, don't think Lynnfield will even show up on my radar. So long as the Core i7 9xx series overclock well then i'll be happy. As for Core 2, I have a feel these 6+ GHz E8600s will stick around for a while

Coat It with GOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampsa View Post
    And as we all know, Intel has had multipliers locked upwards in all other models than Extreme Editions..
    with the exception of turbo mode

and still there may be some way of tweaking the PLL
    Main-- i7-980x @ 4.5GHZ | Asus P6X58D-E | HD5850 @ 950core 1250mem | 2x160GB intel x25-m G2's |
    Car-- T7400 | Kontron mini-ITX board | 80GB Intel x25-m | Azunetech X-meridian for sound |

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blauhung View Post
    with the exception of turbo mode

and still there may be some way of tweaking the PLL
    I wonder if it'll be programmable. Would be nice if it was adjustable... Intel ya listening?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Makes sense.... lock OC'ing on cheaper models and force people to spend the big bucks on X58, Bloomfield and make their memory partners rich with DDR3 sales...

VENOM: DFI LP LT X38-T2R ~ Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 4.00GHz ~ 4GB OCZ Blade LV DDR2-1150 ~ Radeon R9 380 4GB ~ Crucial C300 64GB ~ Seasonic X-750 ~ Dell U2913WM 29" ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64
    LAIKA: Alienware Alpha R2 ~ Core i5-6400T @ 2.20GHz / 2.80GHz ~ 16GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2133 ~ GeForce GTX 960 4GB ~ Crucial MX300 275GB ~ LG OLED55B7A 55" TV ~ Win 10 Home x64
    BLADE: Razer Blade 14" (2013) ~ Core i7-4702HQ @ 2.20GHz / 3.20GHz ~ 8GB DDR3-1600 ~ GeForce GTX 765M 2GB ~ Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 500GB ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Meh, don't think Lynnfield will even show up on my radar. So long as the Core i7 9xx series overclock well then i'll be happy. As for Core 2, I have a feel these 6+ GHz E8600s will stick around for a while
    Problem is: after Bloomfield is Westmere, Sandy Bridge, etc. I don't know about Westmere, but Intel showed (in IDF maybe, can't remember) some info suggesting SB will use the same CPU+IMC+PCIe on-die Lynnfield uses, and I must say it's the logical next step. If that turns to be true then the overclocking results and methods of Lynnfield can be very important to determine how the overclocking world is going to be in the future.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumanji View Post
    Makes sense.... lock OC'ing on cheaper models and force people to spend the big bucks on X58, Bloomfield and make their memory partners rich with DDR3 sales...
    They'll strick themself so badly it's gonna hurt them.
    Profit comes from massive low and mid range sales, not from high end.
    So those who were thinking of buying CPU went with Intel just because of overclockability. Otherwise i'd probably go with AMD in the first place.
    At least i know i bought Intel just because of that.
    I'll rather buy cheaper LGA775 quad and overclock it and use it till AMD releases something decent or Intel gets over such lame attempts to milk the users...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

HWiNFO Author
    The socket change 1160->1156 is true.
    BCLK is routed thru the PCH.

Coat It with GOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    Problem is: after Bloomfield is Westmere, Sandy Bridge, etc. I don't know about Westmere, but Intel showed (in IDF maybe, can't remember) some info suggesting SB will use the same CPU+IMC+PCIe on-die Lynnfield uses, and I must say it's the logical next step. If that turns to be true then the overclocking results and methods of Lynnfield can be very important to determine how the overclocking world is going to be in the future.
    There will always be a need for Tylersburg or Tylersburg-like chipsets with DP and MP configurations, as a QPI "hub" is needed to function as a central hub for PCI and clock synchronization. Bloomfield and the X58 platform is an extension of the DP platform, down into the high end desktop market to satisfy those in this community that enjoy overclocking. Don't worry about Westmere and Sandy Bridge, as there will be HEDT platforms for each that will fit this market. As with nehalem, there will also be the same type of systems as Lynnfield/Havendale with more portions integrated to satisfy the mainstream market.

Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    Profit comes from massive low and mid range sales, not from high end.
    So those who were thinking of buying CPU went with Intel just because of overclockability. Otherwise i'd probably go with AMD in the first place.
    At least i know i bought Intel just because of that.
    I'll rather buy cheaper LGA775 quad and overclock it and use it till AMD releases something decent or Intel gets over such lame attempts to milk the users...
    Please again remember that this is not Intel "locking out" overclocking. This is Intel making choices that result in large gains for the items that people who do make massive low and mid rage purchases want. Having a NB on a mainstream platform with Lynnfield's architecture is a complete and total waste of power and money. It's another chip that motherboard manufacturers have to place on the board. It uses extra power, generates more heat, increases cost, and increases complexity of the platform. All things that the people who make massive low and mid range purchases avoid.

Coat It with GOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumak View Post
    The socket change 1160->1156 is true.
    BCLK is routed thru the PCH.
    and this might just mean that there is a way to tweak it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    Profit comes from massive low and mid range sales, not from high end...
    You're contradicting yourself quite heavily there

Majority of profit comes from vast quantity of low/mid end sales correct. If they lock Lynfield/Havendale chips, Dell, HP, Joe's PC will not give a crap (i.e. 99% of the buyers). But a lot of overclockers will give a crap.

The largest profit per unit is from high end CPU's (i.e. Q, X, QX). If they can force us to buy more expensive gear when AMD has no reply... = win for them.

So it would not surprise me if they did lock down the FSB...

VENOM: DFI LP LT X38-T2R ~ Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 4.00GHz ~ 4GB OCZ Blade LV DDR2-1150 ~ Radeon R9 380 4GB ~ Crucial C300 64GB ~ Seasonic X-750 ~ Dell U2913WM 29" ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64
    LAIKA: Alienware Alpha R2 ~ Core i5-6400T @ 2.20GHz / 2.80GHz ~ 16GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2133 ~ GeForce GTX 960 4GB ~ Crucial MX300 275GB ~ LG OLED55B7A 55" TV ~ Win 10 Home x64
    BLADE: Razer Blade 14" (2013) ~ Core i7-4702HQ @ 2.20GHz / 3.20GHz ~ 8GB DDR3-1600 ~ GeForce GTX 765M 2GB ~ Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 500GB ~ Win 7 Ultimate x64

Coat It with GOOOO
    You're contradicting yourself quite heavily there

Majority of profit comes from vast quantity of low/mid end sales correct. If they lock Lynfield/Havendale chips, Dell, HP, Joe's PC will not give a crap (i.e. 99% of the buyers). But a lot of overclockers will give a crap.

The largest profit per unit is from high end CPU's (i.e. Q, X, QX). If they can force us to buy more expensive gear when AMD has no reply... = win for them.

So it would not surprise me if they did lock down the FSB...
    hehe, quit calling it FSB

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have a feeling there might be another BSEL mod? Or does that only work with FSB/multi type chips?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    We kinda heard this before. Tho with Bloomfield

Also changing socket sounds odd, even if they remove 4 pins. The 4 extra pins would just be "unused at this stage.

And the external baseclock is the same. Lynnsfield is exactly like Bloomsfield. The QPI is just replaced with PCIe ondie and only 2 memory channels. Everything else functions the same way.

So I put this with "bloomfield" cant OC category
    You seem way more optimistic this can't be so than the actual Intel employee here! Do they keep the viral marketing team out of the loop nowadays?

Coat It with GOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by justthefax View Post
    You seem way more optimistic this can't be so than the actual Intel employee here! Do they keep the viral marketing team out of the loop nowadays?
    I don't know nothing either, I'm just guessing. But I don't want anyone to feel a false sense of entitlement either. If it turns out locked or just really hard to get them to clock higher, it's not cause Intel is trying to screw you out of your hobby and force you to buy Bloomfield. It is because the platform just works better for mainstream users this way.

I'm still of the opinion that People like DrWho? and others who were helping decide the direction of the Nehalem generation of platforms, saw that the desktop platform was turning more system on a chip. And realizing that this type of platform had limited room or mechanisms for pushing the boundaries, they made a conscious decision to pull the server platform in to fill in that role. Keep in mind that Tylersburg is a server chipset that happens to work very well for a HEDT platform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast