Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Core i7 LAUNCH CONFIRMED: 11/16

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pajaa View Post
    to general Nehalem:
    Hoping to see Nehalem is not slower in less-threaded games than current wolfdales, if it is, shame on you, Intel. And I like to see lower idle power consumption than equivalent Penryn quad.
    FWIW early tests show nehalem @2.93 to consume 7 watts less than the Q9770 when idling. Which might make them equal "clock for clock". (isn't the q9770 platform extremely power hungry because of the high fsb) It's probably difficult to judge from this little information, but the power saving features should be improved.
    http://diy.pconline.com.cn/cpu/revie...438115_10.html
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    the idiots out number us 10,000:1

Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    Intel's current penryn based quad cores are capable of around 0,1 TeraFLOPS, not the 0,4 you mentioned. [...]
    Well, it was just a figure, not so intelligent guessed, I think.

7W? Not that much...
    Just for your understanding: my PC is idling around 80% of the day: internet, TV, music, and so on. The other 20% I play some games or need raw raytracing power. When I upgrade, it should not raise my power bill

Xtreme Mentor
    How about waiting for the NDA lift, with all the "nice" reviews instead of all the speculation and chinese sites crap and then decide?
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Member
    Core i7 965 >> $1999 - 2724 ~~~ USD$1380 - US$1880
    Core i7 940 >> $962 - 1225 ~~~ USD$663 - US$845
    Core i7 920 >> $538 - 691 ~~~ USD$371 - US$478

seeing as there's no competitive rival anywhere to be seen...
    why not charge 'em up the a$$$$$$$$

take ati and the 4870 as an example
    top of the line gpu, new architecture, shrunk die, DDR5
    but because there was a competitive rival with a comparable product
    they release it for $300 AUD a very price

but if there was no nvidia, the 4870 would have launched at twice the price

that's capitalism for you (and that's monopolism for you too)

DISCLAMER: all of the above is imho
    Last edited by Alcibiades; 10-18-2008 at 09:32 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CoolerMaster Stacker 830SE|Antec Signature 850W|Gigabyte X58A-UD5 F5 slic2.1
    Intel Core i7 930 16x200@3,200Mhz|vcore 1.14|Intel Stock CPU Cooler
    GSKILL DDR3 Perfect Storm 2000 @6-6-6-16-1T 1600Mhz|ATI 5870 1024MB 850/1200
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bootdisk: Crucial RealSSD-C300 128GB SATA-III

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

LOL! Nvidia is the one that actually did launch at TWICE THE PRICE! I spent 9 years as an Nvidia customer and finally found the light.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    LOL! Nvidia is the one that actually did launch at TWICE THE PRICE! I spent 9 years as an Nvidia customer and finally found the light.
    That's right 'cause nvidia clearly dominated with it's products for quite some time there over ati, until the 48**'s gave 'em a good kick to the nuts.

Just trying to say that if AMD was clipping at the heals of intel, nehalems would be MUCH cheaper for sure.
    Last edited by Alcibiades; 10-18-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast

I am not a pricing guys, but I can tell you that those speculated price are very wrong ... very very wrong!
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr7 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but from all leaked benches so far, i'm seeing that Nehalem doesn't appear to be much/any faster in games than Intel's previous processors. So my question becomes: Why do people want i7 processors any more than a Penryn or something?

Even if it's truly faster in other things.. what will you do in an average day that justifies having a faster processor than the stuff that's out right now? Open sites/media player faster? Does anyone really run 20 things at once?

I know some people might say "I want to crunch/fold faster!" but GPUs can already do it faster, many times over. So what is it that people want? I honestly don't really understand... maybe someone could clarify this or explain it to me?
    I want to crunch faster. I also want a smoother experience in AutoCAD. I want my ray-tracing to be faster and better optimized for more cores. And later, I want to run games better than currently possible. I want the bottlenecks removed whenever possible, because 1-2% today could be 50+% in a year or two years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    Because some people do not use their computers for just gaming.
    Yep.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I hear for the last 15 years that we don t need more processing power ... Some people lost 50 Deutch mark betting with me that nobody will ever need more than Pentium III 500Mhz ... what a monster!
    well, i was told as well that 90nm was the maximum possible ... I heard that the earth is flat too ... and the earth is the center of the universe ... the sun is turning over the earth ... no?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    I am not a pricing guys, but I can tell you that those speculated price are very wrong ... very very wrong!
    if that pricing is very very very wrong
    then that is very very very good news indeed
    I hear for the last 15 years that we don t need more processing power ... Some people lost 50 Deutch mark betting with me that nobody will ever need more than Pentium III 500Mhz ... what a monster!
    well, i was told as well that 90nm was the maximum possible ... I heard that the earth is flat too ... and the earth is the center of the universe ... the sun is turning over the earth ... no?
    LOL, have you heard the one about man made global warming?
    Last edited by Alcibiades; 10-18-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    LOL, have you heard the one about man made global warming?

I don t know if it is man made or not, but we know for sure that Co2 reflects back the ray back on earth, so, even if we are responsible for 0.0001%, it is cool to try to avoid it. As a mathematicien, I see high match between Co2 level and temperature increase curves. It is not my specialty, but the numbers are matching ... It is out of context for here any way ...

Solar cycles can't be responsibles ... a recent study proved in Europe that the temp was out of cycle since 1929...

The only disturbing science fact I was told about is the magnetic field polarity change, this could have an impact. Again, I know nothing about this, but now, a lot of smart famous scientist agree ... I recommand that you get connected to them and try to exchange information with them, may be you got the truth and you can convince them ... I trust BBC weither sim, and it shows warming up ...

Xtreme Member
    ... It is out of context for here any way ...
    ... I recommand that you get connected to them and try to exchange information with them, may be you got the truth and you can convince them ... I trust BBC weither sim, and it shows warming up ...
    I agree it's out of context here but i am at least entitled one quick reply -

A report titled "The First Global Revolution," (1991) published by The Council of the Club of Rome,
    "In searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine, and the like would fit the bill. All these dangers are caused by human intervention ...The real enemy, then, is humanity itself."
    Are the scientists the new priests now?
    I thought it's only natural for the earth to experience long term temperature changes up and down then up and back down
    the earth has undergone many ice ages so it must have experienced global warming in between those ice ages
    or it would be one big ice age
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast

A report titled "The First Global Revolution," (1991) published by The Council of the Club of Rome,

I thought it's only natural for the earth to experience long term temperature changes up and down then up and back down
    the earth has undergone many ice ages so it must have experienced global warming in between those ice ages
    using the south pole cap ice, we know 100% for sure that the earth never got so much CO2, ever! Since the earth is a adiabatic system, with energy getting in and out, it is a fine balance ... even a volcanic explosion of the size of Yellow stone did not generate so much CO2, something is wrong, and having the smart guys looking for it is important.
    You can t ignore the scientific facts because few scientist generated a stupid paper somewhere in a corner room ... or may be just not quoted properly ... Facts are facts, ice is melting all over the earth, if the men are responsible for it, it is goood to try to solve it, if men are not responsible, we got to understand to what's going on. One think is sure, you can't wait to be sure to hit the wall to start breaking otherwise, you are dead!

so, I don t know if we are responsible, and I don't want to hit the wall, so, my commute distance is 3 miles.

Xtreme Cruncher

Global warming is man effected nomatter how you put it. Its completely out of its natural cycle. And thats the reason next year ships will start to sail over the north pole from Europe to China/Korea/Japan and cut about 25 days of sailing of.

Ice drilled cores dating 100 of thousand years back can tell you that. Plus its not really complicated for most people to see its a runaway greenhouse situation.

Or maybe you wish us to end like Venus?

First the worst predictions of the northpole being ice free was 2070. Then 2050. Now we might have it in 2010.

This is the northpole september 2008:

Compared to earlier:

Its abit like playing russian roulette to do nothing.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

more people
    more cores
    more farts more co2
    more deforestation
    more power usage
    more burning

more.

oh, but less ice.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    How about waiting for the NDA lift, with all the "nice" reviews instead of all the speculation and chinese sites crap and then decide?
    How about lifting the NDA right now, so speculation is no longer needed. Oh did I mentioned, that speculation is fun?

Banned
    Ok there have been global fluctuation in average temperatures for ever. HOWEVER over the last century the average temperature has increased by 0.5C. This is an unprecedented rapid change and is one for concern.

Global carbon trading schemes is the way to force business to reduce their carbon dioxide footprint. The funny thing is that I'm writing an essay on it right now.

plus less ice means even hotter due to less reflected light...but i guess that is obvious to everyone...

Global carbon trading schemes is the way to force business to reduce their carbon dioxide footprint. The funny thing is that I'm writing an essay on it right now.
    'theyre' too busy trading 'their' way into a recession, but yes, that is the intent of trying to encourage clean and green i suppose.

the bean counters wont have anything to do unless a number is attached to 'it'
    Last edited by adamsleath; 10-19-2008 at 02:54 AM.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    BTW there's a rumour that 2P server is late, because of validation, so it's going to trickle into the market in Q1. Someone posted it on RWT, but the source is probably theinq or another FUD-machinery, could be true regardless. I think this would make sense, because there's no launch date on nehalem EP yet. If true than that's pretty bad for Intel and AMD is quite lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    the idiots out number us 10,000:1

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Global warming is man effected nomatter how you put it. Its completely out of its natural cycle. And thats the reason next year ships will start to sail over the north pole from Europe to China/Korea/Japan and cut about 25 days of sailing of.

Ice drilled cores dating 100 of thousand years back can tell you that. Plus its not really complicated for most people to see its a runaway greenhouse situation.

Or maybe you wish us to end like Venus?

First the worst predictions of the northpole being ice free was 2070. Then 2050. Now we might have it in 2010.

This is the northpole september 2008:

Compared to earlier:

Its abit like playing russian roulette to do nothing.
    screw ice, there where peridos in earth history where the poles where completely ice free. In fact we are still living at the near edge of a ending iceage.

Sure humane race accelerated the melting of the ice caps, but suggesting we turn earth into a venus is pure bs.

Venus has what 96% CO2 in the atmosphere? Even if you burn every organic material including humans, plants plus vaporizing the oceans, you never can reach this level of concentration in earths atmosphere.

Xtreme Addict
    Even if they were to bring the CO2 levels down they won;t bring the Methane levels down. Hell, my farts account for more melting than anything else!

Global Warming. It's almost as silly as that Gore character. If you belive what a Politician tells you they have you hook line and sinker. The scientists have said different. It is nothing more than normal temp swing.

You cannot go screwing with Mother Nature. Let her do her job, and we need to keep our noses out of it. That's what science says.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    Even if they were to bring the CO2 levels down they won;t bring the Methane levels down. Hell, my farts account for more melting than anything else!

Global Warming. It's almost as silly as that Gore character. If you belive what a Politician tells you they have you hook line and sinker. The scientists have said different. It is nothing more than normal temp swing.

You cannot go screwing with Mother Nature. Let her do her job, and we need to keep our noses out of it. That's what science says.
    Actually human race infulences the greenhouse effect, everyone who is dening this is deluding himself.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Actually human race infulences the greenhouse effect, everyone who is dening this is deluding himself.

or he may be working for a gas company ...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
    BTW there's a rumour that 2P server is late, because of validation, so it's going to trickle into the market in Q1. Someone posted it on RWT, but the source is probably theinq or another FUD-machinery, could be true regardless. I think this would make sense, because there's no launch date on nehalem EP yet. If true than that's pretty bad for Intel and AMD is quite lucky.
    The products related to nehalem are ALL in the schedule. The rest is speculation.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    I hardly doubt the scientists at NASA and other centers are "deluding themselves". I also hardly doubt the Colombia Supercompueter is "deluding itself".

Regardless of Nobel Prizes (which have become meaningless now) they cannot argue with proven scientiffic fact.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast