Thread: Fsb unlock on a dell?

Fsb unlock on a dell?

I have a noob question about overclocking my lappy.

I have searched everywhere for overclocking programs for dell, and so far have found memset and ati-tool that support my dell e1705 with a i945pm chipset.

I ask if anyone has found any program or bios mod that can unlock the pll for overclocking the frequency so i can run a 1:1 fsb/dram, instead of a 1:2.
    I have seen a few people overclock dell laptops, but there seems to be very little info on how these people did it.

thanks in advance

Xtreme Cruncher
    first of all, you're trying to unlock a premade systems and second, you're trying to OC a laptop?? good luck with heat problems...

edit: actually, i'll be a little more helpful. you can either trying writing you own BIOS or attempt a BSEL mod and hope for the best. as for the heating problem, run an external heatsink into the processor because there's no way an OC'ed lappy will have enough airflow or powerful enough fan to cool it. good luck if you attempt all this
    Last edited by WhiteFireDragon; 10-12-2008 at 03:31 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thanks for the advice whitefiredragon

I think the bios is the best way to go, because i haven't found a clockgen with my pll and my bios supports 2gb ram and my chipset supports 4gb.
    Do you know possibly where i can get a rom file of a dell bios so that i could use phoenix bios editor. I have tried to decompress the self extracting version off the website, but i have not been successful. I also don't know how to convert .bak dumps of the bios to a rom file ( I'm kinda new at bioses and am willing to learn)

as for cooling, i dont have a powerful card (Radeon mobility x1400) which the nvidia cards have been known to melt some dell computers.

to specify exactly what i'm looking for is an efficient system, not a beastly monster.

Xtreme Mentor
    best you can hope for is changing memory latencies. I think FSB changing is out of the question for most notebooks.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

c[_]
    google your model. you'll find more info that way than you'll get here. Also might try a different forum next time thats more related.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

ya i have googled just about everything for hours, which why i went to this forum.

Maybe this thread should be under bioses now, since there is no programs that seem to control dell processors.

Xtreme Member
    I've had my E1705 for 2.5 years and the only mods I have done are to run memset to drastically lower my latencies on ram, Notebook Hardware Control to undervolt my cpu to 1.00V and have it at 100% clock speed all the time. Also If you look theres a boot cd you can make that you can flash your video card bios with new gpu and ram speeds and voltage( if you dare.) I took my gpu from 375mhz to 450mhz and ram from 499/998 to 550/1100mhz without bumping voltage or changing anything. Got a nice 10% boost in performance from it. I also ordered a T2700 2.33ghz cpu, another 2gb ram, and a 320gb 16mb cache 7200rpm hard drive for it as an upgrade this week. Total for ram, drive, and cpu = 200 bucks. Should be more than enough to get me through until SSD's are standard by the beginning of 2010. if you google search bios mod for Nvidia 7900GS its pretty easy to do and to find info on. Good Luck!
    Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4ghz
    2GB PC2-6400 @ 445/890 4, 4, 4, 12
    ATI HD4850 @ stock
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L
    El Cheapo 500w PSU with dual 12v rails
    16X DVD+/- R/W

Xtreme Addict
    did a major oc on my 8400M gs video card in my dell lappy. Looked into pll and clockgen for the processor via setfsb, rmclock etc. NO real luck.

Best bet is bsel mod, or guessing your pll via a clockgen program. think ill tighten my memory via memset now, that's a good idea!
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    I actually bought for 140 bucks shipped on Ebay an Intel T2700 cpu and dropped it in today. I am getting about a 20% increase in gaming along with my tweaked memory timings. Not a bad deal and while I could have gone with a T7600 C2D those sell for 250+ and I didnt want to shell that much. The extra 100 bought a 320gb 7200rpm SATA300 drive and another 2GB of ram. I'm set for another 18 months now. Anyone know if the 1705 can handle the 200fsb processors??? Just curious cause they have a 2.6ghz 4mb cache that would pwn if so.
    Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4ghz
    2GB PC2-6400 @ 445/890 4, 4, 4, 12
    ATI HD4850 @ stock
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L
    El Cheapo 500w PSU with dual 12v rails
    16X DVD+/- R/W