Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple suggests Nvidia is dishonest about GPU failures

Xtreme Member

Apple suggests Nvidia is dishonest about GPU failures

It is not only Dell customers who have been suffering with the GPU failures in there notebooks (i was one of them), apparently Apple are now accusing nVidia. More unwanted publicity for nVidia from another major company.

Cupertino (CA) – Apple took an unusually hard shot at Nvidia’s credibility yesterday: Apple said that it found that GeForce GPUs used in some Macbook Pro systems are failing, while Nvidia “assured” the company that the supply to Apple was not affected by what appears to be a GPU packaging issue.

From the Apple website:

“In July 2008, Nvidia publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, Nvidia assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected.”
    Apple said that buyers of Macbook Pro 15” and 17” models with Nvidia’s 8600M GT GPU may see “distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen” or “no video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on.” The affected notebooks were manufactured between May 2007 and September 2008.

The company said that “if the Nvidia graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within two years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.”

Nvidia’s stock followed the general market trend this morning and was down more than 5% to $6.56. Nvidia’s market capitalization has dropped to about $3.66 billion – down from about $10 billion when the GPU issue was made public.

The problems apple mention are rather similar to the problems i had with my Dell XPS notebook. Why do nVidia keep denying an ever so apparent problem, there attitude towards the whole GPU problem is a joke. Lucky enough for me Dell sorted my XPS notebook out straight away but with regards to nvidia, well the less i say about them the better.

TG DAILY article
    Last edited by azza21; 10-10-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Poor NV just cant catch a break lately. You got to wonder thow if the Mac's are actualy failing at a unusual rate or if Apple is just taking advantage of the curent problem and pointing fingers at normal failure rates.
    Last edited by G0ldBr1ck; 10-10-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Addict
    The RoHS specification just needs to be fixed (or ditched in the garbage), that's all...

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Addict
    considering that the new Macbooks that will be out on the 14th will also have Nvidia GPU's, apple either doesn't care about the failures enough to go to ATI or Nvidia is paying them to use their GPUs and chip sets. it doesnt make any sense.
    Case-Coolermaster Cosmos S
    MoBo- ASUS Crosshair IV
    Graphics Card-XFX R9 280X [out for RMA] using HD5870
    Hard Drive-Kingston 240Gig V300 master Seagate 160Gb slave Seagate 250Gb slave Seagate 500Gb slave Western Digital 500Gb
    CPU-AMD FX-8320 5Ghz
    RAM 8Gig Corshair c8
    Logitech 5.1 Z5500 BOOST22
    300Gb of MUSICA!!

Steam ID: alphamonkeywoman
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/933ab/

other companies have little to no problems, u just have to not use the cheapest solder and back fill

anybe this will get apple to go with via or ati like back in the day, or atleast give the option
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    damn NVidia... I have a notebook from asus dated Dec-07. It uses a 8400GM. Its working fine right now, but anyday at anytime its possible to have a gpu failure... thats not good at all....

no more nvidia!
    C2Q QX6800@ 3.75GHz (375x10 - 1.450v) - L725A - G0
    4GB PC2-5300 Kingston Micron D9@ 3-4-4-10 750MHz 1:1
    Asus P5E-Deluxe - no mods
    eVGA 9600gso G92 + XFX 8500 GT (physics)
    H4ck3d-Slackware 11.0
    kernel-2.6.22.1@MCORE2 Arch Optimized

Xtreme Member
    This is why I won't buy any more Nv GPUs, those dishonest ****s. I have a Vaio SZ680 with a 8400M GS with all my school work! I mean it's working well at the moment but who knows? It could fail in the future.

Xtreme Member
    i'm sure nvidia is trying to sort things out,you can always buy laptop with ATi cards in anyways

Xtreme Addict
    Its not realy that big of deal for the consumers, well not as much as some let on. The OEM's are taking care of the failed parts for there customers and replacing them with good GPU's. If your realy that woried about it then stress the hell out of the card (run furmark or somthing) heat it up and cool it down a bunch and if it survives then good chance it will always be fine and if you do kill it then RMA.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    The RoHS specification just needs to be fixed (or ditched in the garbage), that's all...
    Ye sure...why dont you eat lead too...its so harmless...
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, nvidia took a straight nosedive. It's really getting dragged through the cowpats now.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Guru
    In this bad economy, lets hope they can recover.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol, this thread should be called "we hate Nvidia, do you?" All this Nvidia banter, and over what? an 8600m that may be affected, some investigation they did. Some of you even declaring not even going NVidia ever again because of it, LOL. As if no other GPU company has ever had a problem or will.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

Quote Originally Posted by Decami View Post
    lol, this thread should be called "we hate Nvidia, do you?" All this Nvidia banter, and over what? an 8600m that may be affected, some investigation they did. Some of you even declaring not even going NVidia ever again because of it, LOL. As if no other GPU company has ever had a problem or will.
    its more than the 8600gt, its all 8700 and lower, and for a business grade product having more than a few failures in the 1st few years cant be tolerated, and having the gpu maker say one thing then keep expanding the defective parts as they die is a bad idea. from what ive been seeing the failures are from high temps (80c+) and in a laptop thats unreasonably low for the wattage that the 8700 and lower use especially if that means that the cooling was underspecified
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Wasn't this obvious? if the chips had "issues" why wouldn't apple be affected?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroMan View Post
    damn NVidia... I have a notebook from asus dated Dec-07. It uses a 8400GM. Its working fine right now, but anyday at anytime its possible to have a gpu failure... thats not good at all....

no more nvidia!
    WOW! So you haven't had any problems yet your bailing?

Using that logic you should never use a computer again because it might fail at anytime. No more Intel, no more AMD, no more Asus, no more PC's, and no more notebooks. That'll fix 'em!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Decami View Post
    indeed. i really don't like all that bashing nowdays. seems like all the amd phenom bashers do the same but this time on nvidia instead.
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

think of the 680i, i would consider this the same, once u use it for so long it will fail at the temps that its cooling puts it to, but then there are some good ones

and having a high death rate is never good, the phenom dosnt perform as well as the intel on integer performance it dosnt break (crashed with the TLB in specific cases but they dont break)
    Last edited by zanzabar; 10-10-2008 at 03:14 PM.

I just recently purchased a MacBook Pro a few weeks back, and it's worked well. Configured nicely, and I even bought some extra RAM and gave it 4GB's. Very nice.

But, as I look a bit more on the apple discussion forums, there are quite a few people that do have problems. But again, when people would post problems, it's very unclear how heavy their usage is and/or was.

For me, I'll play an occasional game of Warcraft 3, or even watch a lot of videos. At certain times, and under those conditions, it seems as if the fan to cool the GPU and CPU, doesn't really do it's job "well" enough. Yeah, that could be the problem. I think that's more likely than 2 million or more defective chips.

Not saying it's impossible, just a bit more likely that under certain conditions it's prone to fail more (ie those heavy uses). I will also say that it's not very acceptable, and I'm actually thinking about returning this one, and getting one of the new ones when they come out. Considering the fact, that it may be better. Yeah, it does worry me that my 2 grand investment may be defective, but at least Apple is making good on it. As far as Nvidia, I'll still use their products. Just not much faith in their mobile segment.

Edit: They even released a list of the specific products. So, I'm guessing ones like mine aren't affected, or have a chance of being affected.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377?viewlocale=en_US
    Last edited by Reinvented; 10-10-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    i recently rma'd my mums macbook pro, bad graphics, maybe because of these broken chips, luckilly you can extract the hardisk and put it into a macbook without any reinstalls needed with OSX until the RMA is done (and apple rma is really slow )

seriously if these chips don't run at 80C+ over long periouds of time they're a bad design because notebooks get very hot

next time nv better makes use of more robust packages like ati did
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Addict
    When AMD/ATI were looking to be in vary bad shape, I decided to support them by purchasing there products and recomending there products to customers because its in all of our best intrest to keep them in play. I know allot of others did the same, im thinking now its time to support the green team again. Saying that your not gonna buy NV because they are having problems is only hurting them further. Its up to us the "informed consumer" to look past our brand favoritism and give our support where its needed.

Im guilty of bashing NV for things they are doing that seems like they are trying to pull one over on us but its starting to look like they are just doing every thing they can to keep some good products on the market, things are looking a bit grim for NV and now with Intel jumping on the bandwagon it could get allot worse.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    indeed. i really don't like all that bashing nowdays. seems like all the amd phenom bashers do the same but this time on nvidia instead.
    I think it's OK to bash, as long as it's justified and within context, and as long as people don't start flinging internet fireballs at each other; although, many people do. Fortunately, most of them are 16-year-old fanboys engaged in a never ending piss war, and the rest of us with our heads screwed on properly don't have to worry about it.

It's OK to bash Phenom like an unloved, redheaded stepchild, because it's the most ungifted piece of crap that has ever crawled out of AMD's vagina.
    Last edited by YukonTrooper; 10-10-2008 at 04:24 PM.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    Poor NV just cant catch a break lately. You got to wonder thow if the Mac's are actualy failing at a unusual rate or if Apple is just taking advantage of the curent problem and pointing fingers at normal failure rates.
    they did it to themselves.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    Don't feel to sorry for them ... their plight is of their own making.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Banned
    How clueless do you have to be to sit there and say "OMG NV needs to handle this!"

It IS handled. THEY announced the problem, and took responsibility. They took the charge to fix YOUR laptops if they go bad. They're not denying anything.. Has anyone figured out this isn't a conspiracy yet? No one is denying the problem.. it's just that it's already handled via support via replacement, no questions asked.

Do you really believe NVIDIA wouldn't release the info of affected chips? It's the OEMs who don't want affected chips to be named, and want the ability to announce their products that are affected on their own.

Ya, I'm sure NVIDIA is hiding all this info from the OEMs and risking every future design win they could get from them..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast