Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, started getting BSOD's like crazy. Bad Board?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    hard to say, but keep in mind that the cpu and memory controller do some basic "training" on every power on, and then adjust themselves. so every time you boot those settings slightly vary...
    this could be the reason, or, the bios was corrupt and one setting was actually set to something else than what you thought it was. ie higher voltage for the nb or cpu or vtt...:
    about the cpu and memory controller doing some basic training at power-on, i think that there are some settings that get changed

friday night: crysis ran perfectly

saturday: crysis crashed twice but ran eventually

sunday: crysis would not run at all, embarrassing as i had a friend over and was showing him my blackops running at 4Ghz

no settings were changed in the bios since friday night, just the board powered on from the switch on the power suppy and the c1 power off power on sequence

Raptor 1
    Case: Lian Li PC-A7010B
    Motherboard: Foxconn Blackops X48 (G30 Bios)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz, Q812A232, (Running At 3.2 Ghz)
    Memory: Cellshock 4 x 1GB DDR3 PC3-1866 (8-8-8-16) Blue Dual Channel Kit (Running At 1600 Mhz)
    CPU Heatsink: Thermalight Ultra Extreme 120 With Scythe S-Flex SFF210G S-FDB 1900RPM 120MM Fan
    Graphics: BFG 9800 GX2 OC Driver 185.81
    Power Supply: Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W EGX1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU
    Sound: Creative X-Fi Fatality Pro
    Monitor: Viewsonic 19" VX1940w Widescreen LCD 1680X1050 2ms
    DVD Drive: LG GGWH20L Super Multi Blue Blu-ray Disc Rewriter and HD-DVD Rom Lightscrbe DVD±RW, DVD±R, DVD±R DL, DVD-RAM SATA
    Backup: Iomega REV 35GB SATA
    Hdd: OS - 2 x Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS BackPlane Version 300GB 10,000RPM, 16MB SATA2 (Raid 0)
    Hdd: Storage - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB 7,200RPM 32MB SATA2
    Bios Settings: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...06&postcount=1

Xtreme Member
    Well, not a single crash now. Don't know why it started to crap out on me after all this time??? Had to bump NB voltage way up. Blue slots still suck. Can't even boot with my DIMM's in there now. Sure hope I don't have to keep increasing voltage every couple months to keep this pig stable. Was plenty happy with this board and not planning on going X58, but now I just might do that.
    Heatware: Broken
    Ebay Feedback: Brokennails

Xtreme Addict
    sounds like ram going south
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

Xtreme X.I.P.
    more nb voltage helps the mem, so yeah, it could really be the mem...
    more nb voltage means higher mem clocks stable for the same vdimm, or less vdimm needed for the same mem clocks.

another thing you might want to try raptor, is losening trd aka PL o 8.
    either that or bump up your nb voltage (what are the temps)

Xtreme Member
    You are not going to believe this... I think I found my damn culprit. Maybe card/driver issue or bios issue. So I was getting weird BSOD's as you all know. Been running stock to try and narrow down some stuff. Turns out when I run HDMI out with HDMI audio I get random BSOD's. Go back to VGA and optical out and no BSOD's. So is there possibly a bios issue here? I have not seen anyone else have this issue, at least that I can find. I would suspect the card but it plays fine over VGA. Been playing Dead Space and Silent Hill 3 with no issues at all. In hind sight, some of my issues did start happening around the time I decided to try HDMI, but who would think that would cause an issue??? Really love the sound with multi-channel LPCM though so hopefully I can find a fix...

***Update***

Nevermind, after a week of no BSOD's at stock I just got one after playing Dead Space for about an hour. Back to the drawing board.
    Last edited by Broken; 11-03-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Nevermind. Figured it out. Was playing with a config and forgot to change it back.

Back to the drawing board. At least now I don't BSOD running around windows.
    Last edited by Broken; 11-16-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Hahaha, should have figured it was something stupid. Changed PL from 7 to 8 and no more BSOD's....

Now I am noticing something else.

At the screen where it shows the Intel raid and AHCI info I keep seeing
    Cannot invoke hardware yada yada yada device id yada
    Cannot invoke hardware yada yada yada device id yada

Don't remember seeing this before and everything seems to working fine. Does everyone else get this or is something not flashing right?

Other than that and I am happy again. Got me a QX9650 coming and not worried about going Nehalem after seeing how much power they hog and heat they put out and little in performance for games they gain at higher resolutions. Sure they are huge gains at 1024x768 and 1280x1024, but who plays at that res?

Xtreme Addict
    glad to hear you got a handle on it

and no eye dont see shuch a screen except once right before a bsod and had to reformat because of trying different ram's and not being completly stable with them lol

good luck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    FOXCONN MARS
    Quattro 1000W
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !

Xtreme Member
    Here, this is what I am talking about:

(Click for larger picture)

Didn't see this before. I just flashed from G30 to P05 hoping it would fix that. Same thing on P05. It didn't touch the very first part of the bios when it flashed. Could that cause this?

Xtreme Addict
    thats a good question ... maybe it droped the cd/rom drivers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    FOXCONN MARS
    Quattro 1000W
    *REAL TEMP*
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !

Xtreme Member
    Man, I just can't win. Got my QX9650 last night and after perusing the overclocking thread I got it up to 4.0Ghz. Trick is I have to run my OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600 4GB kit on a divider. I can not run it at it's native speed of 1600 , well unless I want to get a BSOD loading into windows. Set a 1:3 divider for 1200Mhz and I am fine. was running my Dimms at 7-7-7-24 2T PL8 1.9v. Anything else I should know/try? I am trying my darndest to get a holds of a set of G. Skill HZ's which I was going to get in the first place but someone said these OCZ's were good. Guess I should have went with my gut. Ever since I changed my PL from 7 to 8 and run on a divider I have been rock solid, but can not for the life of me run my Dimm's faster than 1351Mhz.

Oh, and the AHCI error I was getting seems to be associated with my E-sata/ide chip. If I change it to IDE the error goes away. If I change it to AHCI+ IDE or Raid+ IDE I get that can not be invoke error.
    Last edited by Broken; 12-12-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Well, gots me some G. Skill HZ coming. Woo hoo. Hoping this takes care of me problems..

Xtreme Member
    Well, got my 4gb HZ kit this morning. Popped out my OCZ sticks and popped in the G.Skills. Fired it up and... beep, beep, beep... code 54. Crap! Nooooooo.
    reset CMOS and crossed fingers. Click.... beep, beep, beep 54 again. Son of a b. Popped the sticks out an put them in the blue slots. Cross fingers and toes. Click...... Post. Woo hoo!. Running like a champ.. Can actually run DDR3 1600 now.

Much, much better. Now to get rid of my OCZ's to someone that can use them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12