Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "Whiteout" PC 343b Horiz. Mobo. Worklog

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAqua View Post
    I did? I'm not using compression fittings anymore nor am I sleeving the tubing. The thought crossed my mind but decided against it. I'll probably use the compressions on my htpc bulid or something.
    Oops sorry . For whatever reason I got you mixed up with Kibbler and his Ugly Duckling . Anyways, I think the reason that it doesn't work with the Bitspower fittings is because of the extra part at the bottom that the Koolance fittings don't have. I guess I'll have to get used to Koolance then. Anybody have any experience spray painting the tightening part of comp. fittings? I'm not sure I'm really going to like the darker color of the Koolance.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what if you painted, or maybe even powdercoated the compression fittings black? or maybe white fittings with black tygon tubing?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperbob View Post
    what if you painted, or maybe even powdercoated the compression fittings black? or maybe white fittings with black tygon tubing?
    Powder coating black might be nice . Ive got a ton of black and white spray paint left over still. Maybe I'll spray paint them white. If you look at the parts list for this build you'll notice in the watercooling portion of it i mentioned that I'll be using Techflex Carbon Fiber Braided sleeving (this stuff, not their junky case mod stuff) so I'll probably just be buying some clear tubing. The white fittings might go well with the rest of the build though. Thanks for the idea!
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I wonder if it wouldn't be rather difficult to keep powdercoating from gumming up the threads on comp fittings
    Last edited by TedShred; 11-09-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so. Douglas Adams
    QX9650 @ 3825mhz CoolIT FZone
    2x HD3870X2 @ 845/946mhz air
    Asus Maximus Formula 0907
    2x2048mb OCZ Reaper 8500
    2x Raptor 150G Raid0; 'Cuda 1000G
    1200W Thermaltake
    xFi Extreme Gamer/ Z-5500
    Vista Ult. 64
    Cosmos 1000
    30" NEC

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TedShred View Post
    I wonder if it wouldn't be rather difficult to keep powdercoating from gumming up the threads on comp fittings
    I'm not gonna worry about it. The inside isn't visible and is made of metal, so if push comes to shove I can use some of my trusty HCl and burn the junk off
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    that sounds like a crafty solution. is a HIC some kind of flamethrower? (tried googling but only found the Horseradish Information Council - oh, wait, HCI! still nothin')
    Last edited by TedShred; 11-09-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so. Douglas Adams
    QX9650 @ 3825mhz CoolIT FZone
    2x HD3870X2 @ 845/946mhz air
    Asus Maximus Formula 0907
    2x2048mb OCZ Reaper 8500
    2x Raptor 150G Raid0; 'Cuda 1000G
    1200W Thermaltake
    xFi Extreme Gamer/ Z-5500
    Vista Ult. 64
    Cosmos 1000
    30" NEC

Xtreme Enthusiast
    HCl = hydrochloric acid.
    Please note: I am not here to provide any kind of official NCIX support on these forums.

For faster (and official) service please contact me at Linus@ncix.com, or please contact our customer care team at wvvw.NCIX.com (Canada) or wvvw.NCIXUS.com (America)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

Engineering The Xtreme
    you would most likely ruin the fittings powdercoating them, you would have to sand-blast the nickel plating to get the powdercoat to stick to the fitting and even then it woul most likely destroy the threads on the fitting.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TedShred View Post
    that sounds like a crafty solution. is a HIC some kind of flamethrower? (tried googling but only found the Horseradish Information Council - oh, wait, HCI! still nothin')
    Rofl I wish

Quote Originally Posted by Linus@ncix View Post
    HCl = hydrochloric acid.
    Thank you... Nice to know ive got a chemistry buddy here

Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    you would most likely ruin the fittings powdercoating them, you would have to sand-blast the nickel plating to get the powdercoat to stick to the fitting and even then it woul most likely destroy the threads on the fitting.
    Would spray painting work? Ive got two cans left
    Last edited by FrostyPanda; 11-09-2008 at 01:18 PM.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm having painter's remorse about the glossy black insides... I think flat black would've looked waaaaaaay more awesome...

Example...MurderBox:

Argh I hate myself sometimes
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Super Update (Well kinda) - Radiator Madness!!!

MEGA SUPER MAKE-ME-HAPPY SORT OF UPDATE!!!!!!!

Hmmmmm...An elongated box from FrozenCPU weighing in at about 9lbs. Hmmm what could it be? ( I got anxious and opened it before I took pictures. Not a packaging mishap with the open tape...)

Its my radiators!

Thought I'd post some fashion poses...

The contents of the Feser 360 boxes...

PAINTING PICTURES

All masked off...

After two coats of Krylon Primer and one coat of Krylon Satin White...

Hopefully I'll be able to get another coat on tonight right before I go to bed. If not I'll post more pictures after school tomorrow.
    Last edited by FrostyPanda; 11-11-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Those are gonna look sick!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrelith View Post
    Those are gonna look sick!
    Thanks! I hope they will. The paint is drying kinda funny though. I'm getting these little ripples, but they're not runs .

I'm hoping they'll disappear tomorrow when I add more coats...
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Engineering The Xtreme
    your coats were too thick and the paint ran a bit, sand each coat with like 800 before application of the next

Xtreme Enthusiast
    also, you did sand down the surface before you started painting white right? could be an adhesion problem painting over the gloss black paint... :shrugs:

Xtreme Mentor
    I'd sand with 800-1200 grit and try again.
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    your coats were too thick and the paint ran a bit, sand each coat with like 800 before application of the next
    If you didn't see the picture, I checked and the surface is completely flat.

also, you did sand down the surface before you started painting white right? could be an adhesion problem painting over the gloss black paint... :shrugs:
    Yup I learned my adhesion lesson with the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie3dfx View Post
    I'd sand with 800-1200 grit and try again.
    Going with 800 right now... Update in a couple of minutes.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Finally got the buggers painted all the way. A happy 9 coats it took me (I'm still not satified, but I don't think anythings wrong. I'm a discontent perfectionist). Now they're drying. The little things you see in the second photo are just some PCI slot covers that I never got around to painting the caseward side of.

Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice! I can't believe I haven't seen this build yet :P

I can't wait for the final product.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    Nice! I can't believe I haven't seen this build yet :P

I can't wait for the final product.
    Me too. Its gonna be a looooong time though. Its kinda hard for a 15 year old to come up with the funds, even with a donation site for my signature and avatar customization service clicky here --> (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ton_id=1056057) . I just sent an email to PowerColor to see if they would be able to sponsor me. If not, I'll move on to Sapphire .
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Banned

I'm really liking the white themed builds at XS.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking really good! I bet the rads look great once you remove the masking tape. Nice black and white contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPanda View Post
    I'm having painter's remorse about the glossy black insides... I think flat black would've looked waaaaaaay more awesome...
    No way! Everyone and their granny has flat black in their case. Yours is different and that's a good thing.

Banned
    frosty, did you bathe those rad in nice warm sunlight?
    the usual spray once, let dry, sand imperfect areas, clean and spray again. quite normal repeat a few times... thin coats only...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wait panda, you want to get a sponsor from Powercolor... but your building a black and white build... sorry i guess i just saw a little bit of irony in that one. Hope all goes well though!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wait panda, you want to get a sponsor from Powercolor... but your building a black and white build... sorry i guess i just saw a little bit of irony in that one. Hope all goes well though!
    Guess I didn't think of that. I also sent an email to Palit, but accidentally forgot to switch the companies names, so in effect I sent an email to palit asking powercolor to sponsor me...darn . I'm sending emails to ASUS, Sapphire, HIS, VisionTek, Diamond, MSI, and Gigabyte also . Its sort of overkill, but I really want this build to stand out. I just cannot afford some of the parts. I really hope they do, though, because it will help build customer relations in our extreme community that they currently don't have. We'll see . Hmm, maybe someone will send me a rampage II extreme and then I'll see if I can get a RAM company to sponsor me also .

On another note, the radiators finished drying. The look amazing!!! I'll post an update in about an hour...
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast