Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Whiteout" PC 343b Horiz. Mobo. Worklog

Xtreme Enthusiast

Cool "Whiteout" PC 343b Horiz. Mobo. Worklog

Welcome to the worklog of my Lian Li PC-343b mod. My intent is to do something similar to the rainmaker that virtualrain did (horizontal mobo, lots of LC, high quality finish). My overall goal with this project is to make it into MDPC so we'll see how well I can do this!

UPDATE LIST
    Initial Case with Basic Cuts and Dremel Work: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...19&postcount=4
    Google SketchUp CAD Images with Final Layout design: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...1&postcount=17
    Order of Metal from Onlinemetals.com: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...5&postcount=18
    Finished Case Structure: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...9&postcount=42
    Proposed Side Paintjobs (votes needed): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...2&postcount=46
    "Oven": http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...0&postcount=50
    Finished Paint Job: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...7&postcount=51
    Basic Case Assembled with Panels: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...7&postcount=58
    Compression Fittings Change: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...2&postcount=75
    Radiators and Painting: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...4&postcount=89
    Finished Radiator Painting: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=106
    Schedule/plan for November through January: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=108
    Ultra X3 1600w Power Supply: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=164
    GTX 260 Core 216 SSC, EVGA X58 SLI, Core i7 920, Patriot Viper DDR3 Tri-Channel: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=195

Stock Case (soon do be demolished)

BUILD PLAN

Basic Hardware

Motherboard
    ASUS Rampage Formula

CPU
    Intel Core i7 920

RAM
    6x 1GB Patriot Viper DDR3 Triple Channel

Graphics
    SLI GTX 295

Sound
    ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe

Hard Drives
    1x Velociraptor 150gb
    1x WD Caviar 250gb

Optical Drives
    Undecided External

Power Supply
    Ultra X3 1600w

Cable Sleeving
    MDPC-X Sleeving from murdermod.com

W/C Components - Three Loops (1x CPU, 1x Graphics, 1x Mobo/Accessories)

Pumps
    3x MCP355 w/ XSPC Res Tops

Radiators
    1x PA120.2; 2x Feser 360

Fans
    8x Delta EFB1212VH on Rads (all intake); 3x Delta AFB1212GHE Rev. C Grand Hi Speed as exhaust mounted on back of case (see SketchUp model)

Blocks
    CPU__________Swiftech Apogee GTZ
    Mobo Blocks___Bitspower Rampage Formula Blocks (when they come out)
    GFX__________2x XSPC Full cover 4870x2 (acetal or nickel, haven't decided yet)

Connections/Fittings
    Koolance 1/2" ID 5/8" OD compression

Tubing
    Tygon 1/2" ID 5/8" OD

Sleeving
    Techflex Carbon Fiber 1/2" sleeving (http://www.techflex.com/prod_CFN.asp)

Enjoy
    Last edited by FrostyPanda; 07-01-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    can't wait to see some frosty pc pics!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking forward to pics

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Finally I finished with my dremel, jigsaw, and after all of my dremel bits and the jigsaw blad broke, the pliers and the hacksaw! The holes in the bottom are for a PA120.2. Don't get too attached to the current paintjob as its going super glossy black on sunday after my soccer tournament!

The cutout plan:

The finished cuts (sorry for the blurriness). Yes I know they suck, but the bottom holes won't be visible so it doesn't really matter:

My "workstation"

I'll post pictures of the painting and cleaned up edges on my cuts on Sunday. In the meantime I'm off to Wenatchee for the wonderful Apple Cup soccer tourney. Wish me luck
    Last edited by FrostyPanda; 10-18-2008 at 08:17 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Looks like a great project shaping up. The Lian Li 343 is a great case to start this with.

I used to play soccer in Wenatchee, but that was many years ago. I absolutely love that area.

What are your plans with this case?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAqua View Post
    Looks like a great project shaping up. The Lian Li 343 is a great case to start this with.

I used to play soccer in Wenatchee, but that was many years ago. I absolutely love that area.

What are your plans with this case?
    We travel there every year. We won the first game today 6-0 .

As far as the case goes, I'm looking to do something similar to the rainmaker that virtualrain did, but after the basic layout for the motherboard that's it. After that I plan to put either 2 120.3's or two Black Ice GTX 360s in the front. The holes in the bottom are for a 120.2. I'll be putting the delta fans on it hopefully upwards of 150cfm each The three loops, one for the proc, one for crossfired 4870x2's, and the other for the chipset and whatever else I feel like, will each be powered by a ddc 3.2 with xspc res tops. I'll be cooling my e4300 and my rampage formula to the max so I'm gonna need as much cooling as I can All tubing will be .5" ID and .75" OD. Since all of the bays will be used up with the front rads, I'll be putting two slot in dvd writers in the very bottom right below the rads. All the tubing will be sleeved in techflex carbon fiber sleeving, the nice type not the stuff intended for pc use. For painting the mobo tray, i'll be emulating a carbon-kevlar weave with a black base and gold "weave" and a super glossy clear coat. I'm trying to use as much stuff thats all copper, no acetal or delrin, to keep with a slick modern look. Case lighting will probably just be white LED's to enhance the copper and the rest of the paint job (i'm not really a fan of the pimped out "bling" cases with rainbow LED's and three different colors of w/c fluid). I'll just be using distilled water and MAYBE i'll use the blue LED that comes with the res tops. Sorry for the long post, but I've got big ambitions for this case and in the end I hope to make it to MDPC . I hope you enjoy!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry. Everythings not going so well because it got really really cold and the paint isn't drying properly so i'll post better pictures when I can find a reliable time to paint. Here's what I do have though. The motherboard tray is only primed so far. The case has three coats of primer and one coat of Krylon Glossy Black spray paint. The temperature drop caused the paint to shrink and as a result it has this cracked crinkly look

Update tomorrow. My school has a half day every wednesday so i should be able to paint while its somewhat warm

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well i repainted it and the cracks still came up. I think I'm just going to keep adding coats of primer until the cracks fill because I don't have any other way to paint it (I don't own a powder coating gun and its too pricy to have someone else do it). In the meantime I'm in a rut because I'm waiting for an order of aluminum angled pieces to use as braces and the 2mm thick sheet coming with it to be laser cut for the back panel. I'm also at the point where I will be buying radiators. I have to buy a PA120.2 because I have already cut holes for it in the bottom, but I would still like some advice as to the other two that will go in the front. They must be 3 fan radiators and I will be putting super powerful (100+ cfm) fans on them. So...

Which should I get? I am looking for performance and price so the cheapest that performs comparably would be ideal. Thanks!

Xtreme Member
    nice to see another horizontal lian li build. I got the whole inner case powerdercoated of my 343b for £18 and the hard drive cage was an additional £7 (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=190700). Saved me alot of hassle, i gather you on a limited budget, but it is well worth it!

Xtreme Member
    Nice plan you've got there, I see you've got problems with the paint. Did you cleaned everything well before spraying the paint and how did you cleaned it, did you cleaned it with a grease removing fluid?

Hoping to see some more updates soon because i'm thinking of buying a 343B to. Maybe next year or a little bit sooner :P First I have to finish my V1200B project.
    "Amicus Plato — amicus Aristoteles — magis amica veritas"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zw_Roodbaard View Post
    Nice plan you've got there, I see you've got problems with the paint. Did you cleaned everything well before spraying the paint and how did you cleaned it, did you cleaned it with a grease removing fluid?

Hoping to see some more updates soon because i'm thinking of buying a 343B to. Maybe next year or a little bit sooner :P First I have to finish my V1200B project.
    The 343 is a very very nice case to work on, so I suggest you get one as soon as you can The overall finish is so much higher in quality than the MM cases, IMO. As far as the paint goes, I scrubbed the crap out of it with 1200 sandpaper, so the surface would still be relatively smooth. No grease removal but the previous paint I used worked just fine, so I'm assuming its just this brand of paint. Rustoleum doesn't seem to work on the larger pieces (the mobo tray covered fine) so its back to krylon for the frame I looked at powder coating and its a bit pricey for me (spray paint costs a lot less).

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPanda View Post
    The 343 is a very very nice case to work on, so I suggest you get one as soon as you can The overall finish is so much higher in quality than the MM cases, IMO
    RRR will never forgive you lol. I see you'll be doing a lot of sanding wax on wax off looking forward to this build. Alternative rad instead of the PA120.3 for the front would be swiftech MCR320QPK

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ghlight=MCR320
    Respec'
    System:Bunch of crappy overclocked PC's that cost an arm and a leg

Royal Administrator
    Oh, man that doesn't look good. It has nothing to do with temperatures, really. It is just that you didn't do it right. I like painting during cold weather because I always get good results.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRedRaider View Post
    You need to sand back down to the metal and use a self-etching primer. Then cover that with a sandable primer and wetsand the primer smooth with @ 800 grit. Don't keep painting over the cracks. Remember to paint with broad sweeping strokes. Allow each coat to dry for several days and wetsand inbetween coats. Patience will pay major dividends in the quality of your finished product....
    What he said. That's exactly how I paint my stuff.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRedRaider View Post
    FrostyPanda...

I'd like to add this also. I ALWAYS clean the surface, prior to applying the self-etching primer, with DENATURED ALCOHOL... It is readily available at any hardware store in the paint section, where paint thinners are located.
    Thanks for the advice. The irritating thing though is that when I previously painted it the paint stuck just fine so now i'm kinda confused as to what is going on

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well UPS says that my order of aluminum is our for delivery so I'll hopefully post some pictures of the stuff when it comes. In the meantime, I have spent the last 3 hours making a SketchUp model of the final product. I cannot add the tubing in but what is there is pretty cool The outlet nozzles on the pumps will be koolance 90 degre angled compression fittings 1/2" ID 3/4" OD so that I don't bump into the bottom rad. All of the fans attached to rads are intake and will be Delta EFB1212VH's (102cfm each) and the exhaust will be the San Ace 9SG1212G101's (260cfm each). Perhaps i should attach wings to it... Enjoy!

Download the SketchUp file here

Update: Here are pictures of the sketchup for those of you who don't have sketchup installed /are too lazy to download the file.

I have removed some of the walls but I will have a custom laser cut back panel made to fit my config, and LiLi PC 343b window kits on the two sides and the top.

And some with the walls:

Last edited by FrostyPanda; 10-19-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry to everyone for bumping myself and posting 3 times in a row But, guess what UPS just dropped off? Mmhmm, my order of aluminum. I must say that this was really really convenient. Onlinemetals.com does any size order of just about every type of metal and plastic out there (even composite products) and are located in Seattle! I paid for ground shipping and it came the next day Anyways, here are some photos of the aluminum...

These boxes seem very very large...

Ah! Its very well packaged

And the big piece custom cut to 17.875" x 18" to fit on the back

Xtreme Addict
    Nice piece of aluminum. How much does something like that cost?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAqua View Post
    Nice piece of aluminum. How much does something like that cost?
    Its actually really cheap compared to what I thought it would be. With the cut fees and all the 17.875" x 18" x.125" cost me ~$22 from onlinemetals.com. The angled aluminum for 2ft was ~$2.50 . Are you thinking of getting some?
    Ba da dum dum dum.

I am Xtreme
    wow!!! nice alu!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    wow!!! nice alu!!!
    Thanks. The company took great care when they packaged it and cut it because, up-close, the quality is amazing
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Addict
    Great sketchup models and nice piece of metal. With all those Delta fans will you be able to stay in the same room as that PC?
    Respec'
    System:Bunch of crappy overclocked PC's that cost an arm and a leg

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RADCOM View Post
    Great sketchup models and nice piece of metal. With all those Delta fans will you be able to stay in the same room as that PC?
    Ive got a 1000w sound system so if need be i can just turn up the music. These deltas are really really loud. The ones on the rads are 45.0 decibels each and the 3 exhause are 65.0 decibels; I think my ears are gonna burst
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPanda View Post
    Ive got a 1000w sound system so if need be i can just turn up the music. These deltas are really really loud. The ones on the rads are 45.0 decibels each and the 3 exhause are 65.0 decibels; I think my ears are gonna burst
    Throw those puppies on some fan contollers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate P. View Post
    Throw those puppies on some fan contollers.
    That defeats the purpose of buying the fans. Just kidding. I'm looking for a fan controller that will handle the massive wattage these things require, but I don't want a big ugly rheostat. If i can find one, I'd like to have a little touch pad like thing that I can use to turn them up and down. I havent found anything yet, though, so I may have to find a clever way to blend in some rheostats w/o the uglyness. If you have any ideas, they are certainly welcome!!!
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Each of those EFB1212VH uses a tad under 5 watts, so you could get something like a sunbeam rheobus and put a rad's worth of fans per channel, and use the 4th channel for the remaining 3 case fans.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast