Thread: Couple of ?'s

Xtreme Cruncher

Couple of ?'s

1. Is there a way to monitor all rigs? Networked and/or over the net.

2. What is "ready to report"? I have 20+ units saying this.

I'm sure these have been asked before. Sorry.

I love the way BOINC/WCG is setup compared to F@H. Muuch better! I think I might stay here for a while.

1) Boincview.

2) Ya basically those units have uploaded... but you need to hit update or whatever that button on the client is to the left, and they will disapear. They should go away automatically anyway after a while.

I am Xtreme
    Sorry Rip, but once again you are WRONG! Real crunchers monitor their rigs constantly and send completed WU's as soon as they're ready to be reported. If any wu's are less than 5 minutes from completion, then you sit there and wait until its done. None of this 'oh, they'll get sent eventually' BS. That's the panty waist approach to crunching and we don't to that here. We are a crunching wolf pack. We pursue our prey relentlessly and dispatch these work units quickly and without mercy.

Get with the program.

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    Hey Twilyth you forget he's got sheep to tend to..........................
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    Sorry Rip, but once again you are WRONG! Real crunchers monitor their rigs constantly and send completed WU's as soon as they're ready to be reported. If any wu's are less than 5 minutes from completion, then you sit there and wait until its done. None of this 'oh, they'll get sent eventually' BS. That's the panty waist approach to crunching and we don't to that here. We are a crunching wolf pack. We pursue our prey relentlessly and dispatch these work units quickly and without mercy.

Get with the program.
    rip is not like a wolf he is like a sheep fluffer! That is all he thinks about.

Quote Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
    1. Is there a way to monitor all rigs? Networked and/or over the net.

2. What is "ready to report"? I have 20+ units saying this.

I'm sure these have been asked before. Sorry.

I love the way BOINC/WCG is setup compared to F@H. Muuch better! I think I might stay here for a while.
    It is nice to have you here!! When a unit ir ready to report it is 100% complete you can leave it as rip said and it will upload in time. Or you can upload it manually. Go into boinc manager in advanced mode. click the first tab that says "Projects" under the commands bracket there is a upload button just click it. (if it is grayed out then click the project on the right first)

As for the network monitor there is boincview but it only works on local network and will not let you see the systems from over the internet. I have found it to just be a pain in the butt unless I set everything up static IP.
    Last edited by littleowl; 10-08-2008 at 08:08 AM.

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Geez, four posts and right to the sheep.....You guys don't even let our new teammate settle in..........

Anyway, to the team twiggy!! Good bunch here, even with the fetishes....

Littleowl's answer is pretty solid.

I use Boincview to monitor the farm from one machine. It works very well for me inside of my network. As LO said, static IP would make it easier, but I still use DHCP and just adjust IPs as needed in the config screen of Boincview. I rarely power the farm down and cause a total reassignment of IP to the machines that are connected on my switch, and EVERYTHING is UPSed, so this is OK for me.

As to a big stack of "Ready to Reports", if you monitor for a while and it's common for you to be getting more than say 8-10, you may need to look at your profile on WCG and tweak the parameter that controls how often the machine checks in. They will clear themselves eventually, but I don't like more than 5 or so stacking up. I suppose that's up to individual preferences. (I have also sat there waiting, like a hungry chihuaha eying a pork chop, and hitting the update button.....)

Regards,
    Bob
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks guys. I'll check out boincview.

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    Geez, four posts and right to the sheep.....You guys don't even let our new teammate settle in..........

Anyway, to the team twiggy!! Good bunch here, even with the fetishes....

Littleowl's answer is pretty solid.

I use Boincview to monitor the farm from one machine. It works very well for me inside of my network. As LO said, static IP would make it easier, but I still use DHCP and just adjust IPs as needed in the config screen of Boincview. I rarely power the farm down and cause a total reassignment of IP to the machines that are connected on my switch, and EVERYTHING is UPSed, so this is OK for me.

As to a big stack of "Ready to Reports", if you monitor for a while and it's common for you to be getting more than say 8-10, you may need to look at your profile on WCG and tweak the parameter that controls how often the machine checks in. They will clear themselves eventually, but I don't like more than 5 or so stacking up. I suppose that's up to individual preferences. (I have also sat there waiting, like a hungry chihuaha eying a pork chop, and hitting the update button.....)

Regards,
    Bob
    I know Bob, I have set counseling sessions but all they want to do is chase sheep around the pasture.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGfever View Post
    I know Bob, I have set counseling sessions but all they want to do is chase sheep around the pasture.
    Maybe you should change your program from 3 session for 2 to 100% attendance = free sheep
    Last edited by naokaji; 10-08-2008 at 03:16 PM.