Thread: FoxConn Destroyer - just bought, recommendations?

Question FoxConn Destroyer - just bought, recommendations?

Hi,

Just purchased a FoxConn Destroyer, still running an old X2 but when I have a bit more cash will upgrade to Phenom X4. I'm a novice builder, I put components into the sockets they fit into and then frantically search forums if something doesn't work.

I'm trying to make my life a little easier this time around. Are there any recommendations or things I should know before installing the new motherboar? Is there anything I have to do to prepare my system?

From my understanding I should just be able to reconnect all old pieces to the new mobo and it should work. Please let me know anything I'm over-looking and apologies if I missed something in the forums. I saw all Fatalberts bios posts but they were greek to me.... and I'm not greek

Thanks for any help in advance!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by -58- View Post
    Hi, I saw all Fatalberts bios posts but they were greek to me.... and I'm not greek
    Maybe you should bone up on your greek!

Seriously though, you should be able to plug most things in and go. Memory matters for sure, so hopefully you have adequate memory and it is DDR2 (sorry if this is obvious)

Also, I assume you will do a fresh install of some form of windows. You shouldn't expect to just transfer your hard disk over from your old system. You may be lucky and be moving from an Nvidia chipset mobo, and it may (may ) work, but be prepared for it not to as the drivers have to recognize things and reconfigure themselves along with windows. XP sucked at this.... Vista is much better, but still not perfect

There are a zillion other little things that could go wrong... what was your old config? That would help us figure out the potential gotchas.
    Asus M3A79-T W/ PII 720@3.6Ghz DTek Fuzion Water Block
    Raptor X 150G Boot Device & 3 X WD 500GB in RAID 5 Load Device
    8G OCZ Reaper @1066
    2xVisiontek 4870 Xfire @790/1080Mhz w/XPSC Water Blocks
    Razer Barracuda Sound System
    Windows Vista 64 Bit SP1
    LG 24" 1920X1200

I have this motherboard and it was pretty much just plug and play, if you're on XP more then likely you will have to repair/reformat your OS, however on vista i had no problem at all, i went from an Abit KN9S 550 to this board and it booted up just fine, and i also just went from this board to an MSI 570 motherboard (because the foxconn destroyer i had to RMA, don't take that as a bad thing, i probably did it, the board was rock solid) and i still just plug and play'd it, mm vista and it's easy hardware replacements

RE: Current Specs

Hi Nanohead,

Thanks for the advice!

My current specs are:

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe ATX AMD Motherboard (NVIDIA nForce 570)
    AMD X2 4800+ CPU
    Thermaltake TR2 Power 550W PSU
    Seagate 350 GB HD and 500 GB HD and a WD 750 GB
    4GB OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)
    1 MSI 8800GTX (looking for a second if anyone is selling)
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit SP1
    Samsung 226BW 21.6" 1680X1050
    Generic Mid-Tower

Future specs:
    Foxcomm Destroyer
    AMD X2 4800+ CPU (for now)
    Ultra X2 1000W PSU
    8GB OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 8192MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (4x2048)
    Antec Twelve Hundred Full-Tower

Reason for the upgrade: my little mid tower case is so jammed up right now it's ridculous. But I don't want to go through the hassle of upgrading the tower only to have to remove everything again when I upgrade the mother board... and if I move to two 8800GTX plus 8GB of ram plus a Phenom... well my greek is good enough to tell me my little psu will suffer a stroke. So I'm trying to set things up so that in a couple of months I can upgrade the VidCard and CPU and I'm set.

Xtreme Mentor
    Hi Nanohead,

Thanks for the advice!

My current specs are:

AMD X2 4800+ CPU
    Generic Mid-Tower

Future specs:
    Foxcomm Destroyer
    Ultra X2 1000W PSU

Reason for the upgrade: my little mid tower case is so jammed up right now it's ridculous. But I don't want to go through the hassle of upgrading the tower only to have to remove everything again when I upgrade the mother board... and if I move to two 8800GTX plus 8GB of ram plus a Phenom... well my greek is good enough to tell me my little psu will suffer a stroke. So I'm trying to set things up so that in a couple of months I can upgrade the VidCard and CPU and I'm set.
    why not go for the Li Lan Pc80. yes big cause but everyone elses full tower is looking small to me now lol http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112159

1920 x1200 monitor would be nice. so would 1 280GTX, since this has an on board DVI it will turn off the 280 GTX when it's 2d mode and not in use.

Gskill ram 1066mhz for phenom is a little better for phenom. these being slightly higher might help too. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231194

you can go TRI SLI with a physic card on that thing. all this maybe a little pricey though SSD and raid card for them.

I'm waiting for a deneb AM2+ since I know there only two and there both 2.8ghz-3.0ghz and 9850 clock like crap....
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hmm

another dude with a destroyer

before Sham send me the destroyer I was running on a dfi infinity nf4 and don't made fresh installation of windows

I haven't got problems and there are days when I can switch motherboards couple time without any problems with windows :P

destroyer is very good mb if you have got good bios [;

like 0512 http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=365704

now foxconn has got new guy making bios for destroyer and waiting for his first bios

i'm using crucial memories (2x1gb, 1x1gb etc but still d9) and I think they have good spd but if you want 8gb think about adata extreme 800 cl4 2x2gb (1kit) in poland they are very popular for 2x2gb kits

ps

what's means "they were greek to me.... and I'm not greek"?

is something bad ?
    Last edited by FatAlbert; 10-08-2008 at 10:05 AM.
    Schedule of Live Extreme Overclocking - info Thread

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    "My Backup is bigger than Your Backup"

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
    hmm

ps

what's means "they were greek to me.... and I'm not greek"?

is something bad ?
    Not at all, I just don't have the technical understanding to fully appreciate all your info on the different BIOS. But now I know, 0512 is the good one eh

Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    why not go for the Li Lan Pc80. yes big cause but everyone elses full tower is looking small to me now lol
    I buy most of my stuff (except the Destroyer) locally so I don't have to pay for shipping and also so I don't have to deal with cross-border shananigans. I also like to support the small shops trying to carve out a market against the BestBuys of the world.

My guy doesn't carry Li Lan and to get it off NewEgg plus shipping it begins to approach almost double the price of what I'm paying for the Antec I'm getting.

As for the monitor, while a bigger one may be nice I'm really happy with my Samsung, I got it a year and a half ago on sale for $220 CDN and think that was a great bargain.

The memory I'll upgrade when I get the new CPU maybe and hopefully sell my old RAM. I think the RAM upgrade is a good idea!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hi Nanohead,

Thanks for the advice!

My current specs are:

AMD X2 4800+ CPU
    Generic Mid-Tower

Future specs:
    Foxcomm Destroyer
    Ultra X2 1000W PSU

Well, you will probably have a good chance of a smooth transition. If Fatalbert's experience holds for you, then you'll be in good shape. You might (might) want to get another hard disk (or maybe you have a spare), and do a fresh install of windows and nvidia drivers to make sure all the parts work according to spec. I usually try and do something like that before a major transplant. Another alternative (which I do more and more now) is to image the boot disk (using something like Acronis), then move the copied disk into the new system, and test to see if everything works according to plan. If so, move over all the data. ( I just hate losing all my data.....)

Well, good luck and let us know how it proceeds
    Asus M3A79-T W/ PII 720@3.6Ghz DTek Fuzion Water Block
    Raptor X 150G Boot Device & 3 X WD 500GB in RAID 5 Load Device
    8G OCZ Reaper @1066
    2xVisiontek 4870 Xfire @790/1080Mhz w/XPSC Water Blocks
    Razer Barracuda Sound System
    Windows Vista 64 Bit SP1
    LG 24" 1920X1200

Xtreme Enthusiast
    58, now after couple flashed of my destro the 0512 isn't good as in the past

look at the fox's website, there should be new bios
    Schedule of Live Extreme Overclocking - info Thread

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    "My Backup is bigger than Your Backup"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow, I think you need a bigger PSU!!!! Just a bit overkill. I like the Haf 932 case from CoolerMaster more than the Antec 1200/
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
    Wow, I think you need a bigger PSU!!!! Just a bit overkill. I like the Haf 932 case from CoolerMaster more than the Antec 1200/
    Really?? I thought 1000W would do it as long as it's not a tri-SLI.... I did neglect all the fans in the case but you think more power is in order?

Xtreme Mentor
    well if you do get phenom in this tell what bios has the up date for ACC.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.