Thread: Asus Motherboard repair - broken socket pins (oh dear!!!) :(

Asus Motherboard repair - broken socket pins (oh dear!!!) :(

hi, hope anyone can help out there.

have an asus motherboard that i accidentally dropped the cpu cooler on
    the socket pins (ouch) and bent 2 of the pins. and to make matters worse, broke one pin tryin to straighten it.

on contacting asus about gettin repaired (as i know this isnt a warranty
    repair) and was willing to pay, i was just advised to contact the shop i bought it from. on doin that,
    i was just told by the shop that they couldnt offer a repair service as asus wouldnt accept it.

so does anyone know anywhere that could replace/repair the socket pins? or is the board just fit for the bin?

any information would be greatly appreciated
    ASUS KFN32-D SLI
    2 X QUAD CORE BARCELONA
    8800GTS
    COOLERMASTER STACKER 810
    750GB SATA HARD DRIVE
    3 x OPTICAL DRIVES
    2 X 22" LCD MONITORS

I am Xtreme
    I would try a normal RMA ...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Back from the Dead
    If the broken one was just a ground pin it might still work ok. Depends on whether you're willing to risk frying it entirely
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

thanks for responses guys. was thinking of tryin a normal RMA, but when they see them pins bent, it will be game over.

big risk trying to power up the board with the missing pin. would have to find a cheap processor to use with it. may fry my quad core in the process.
    ASUS KFN32-D SLI
    2 X QUAD CORE BARCELONA
    8800GTS
    COOLERMASTER STACKER 810
    750GB SATA HARD DRIVE
    3 x OPTICAL DRIVES
    2 X 22" LCD MONITORS

Xtreme Mentor
    I'd try normal RMA back to Asus, I wouldn't use the board as it is, and they may just replace the board. It's probably your best bet and having already done the damage and having an unusable board in your hands, you've got nothing to lose by trying IMO.
    Ci7 990X::Rampage III Extreme::12GB Corsair Dominator 1866C7GT::2 x EVGA SC Titans in SLI::Corsair AX1200::TJ07::Watercooled
    Ci7 920 3849B018::Rampage II Extreme::6GB GSKILL Trident 2000C9 BBSE::EVGA GTX580::Antec Signature SG850::TJ09::Aircooled w/TRUE 120X

Buy the board new again, then send the duff one back saying this is how you recieved it and you want a refund

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Buy the board new again, then send the duff one back saying this is how you recieved it and you want a refund
    That is being exceptionally dishonest. Acts like this can send small businesses broke, I say RMA it. However if it gets returned not fixed and you bent the socket pins, well that's your fault unfortunately.