Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Performance RAM may damage you Nehalem

Back from the Dead
    Only 1,65V Vdimm? .
    That's officially the end of DDR3-2000. I used a few Diablo 2000 4GB kits in the last few high end builds I did for customers, and these things ain't moving below 1,9V - after all, these are Micron
    More like 2V anyways...

They are the only 2GB sticks I know of that can do DDR3-2000 8-7-6, so it's gonna be "have fun at stock 1600" for Nehalem. Let's hope that the on-die IMC and tri-channel can really eliminate the need for high mem clocks
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Only 1,65V Vdimm? .
    That's officially the end of DDR3-2000. I used a few Diablo 2000 4GB kits in the last few high end builds I did for customers, and these things ain't moving below 1,9V - after all, these are Micron
    More like 2V anyways...

They are the only 2GB sticks I know of that can do DDR3-2000 8-7-6, so it's gonna be "have fun at stock 1600" for Nehalem. Let's hope that the on-die IMC and tri-channel can really eliminate the need for high mem clocks

I have modules running over this, so, don t worry, it will be ok. They is a difference between a Warning and having the problem ... remember the AirBag sticker, that is the same.

DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

Ya guys. Don't panic yet. Just send dead CPU's to Francoise here.

Xtremely unstable
    I think any recommended voltages that are set will be quite conservative. Think of kents and yorks, intel chipsets too. Sure there are recommended voltages and top limits but there are not dead chips lying around everywhere from these being passed either.
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    TR ultra-x, 2 scythe ultrakaze push/pull
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -------------------------------

would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    I have modules running over this, so, don t worry, it will be ok. They is a difference between a Warning and having the problem ... remember the AirBag sticker, that is the same.

So you already have a Nehalem rig, and running more than 1,65V on the mem?
    Last edited by jcool; 10-05-2008 at 04:25 AM.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    So you already have a Nehalem rig, and running more than 1,65V on the mem?
    yes!

Francois Piednoel
    Intel Corp.
    (Good to clarify sometime)

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    yes!

Francois Piednoel
    Intel Corp.
    I should clarify also for you.
    Some of the guys here in the WCG section rarely look into the other sections of the forum.
    This section is generally a much friendlier one where the only rules we have are we act as friends to one another and leave the ego's at the door before entering.
    What you find here is a group that in general are some of the best people I've had the privledge to ever work with.
    These are the people you hear me describe as the "Good Hearts"
    The "Givers" who are just here to try and eradicate disease.
    I consider all of these people as close friends that I just haven't had the opportunity to meet in person yet.
    Also some of the sharpest minds on this forum.
    People who "find a way" to make things work.
    We run our machines not on 20 second benchmarks but at 100% load 24/7/365
    You would fit in well here I think as you have a good heart and sharp mind.

Oh, an addendum. They will tease the living crap out of you once they get to know you but know that it's always done with a smile and no malice.
    That understanding is crucial here or at times you might think you've been tossed into a mosh pit at a heavy metal concert.
    Welcome to the WCG section Francois.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Never go full retard
    to the WCG circus Francois!

Just stay away from my pie!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I should clarify also for you.
    Some of the guys here in the WCG section rarely look into the other sections of the forum.
    This section is generally a much friendlier one where the only rules we have are we act as friends to one another and leave the ego's at the door before entering.
    What you find here is a group that in general are some of the best people I've had the privledge to ever work with.
    These are the people you hear me describe as the "Good Hearts"
    The "Givers" who are just here to try and eradicate disease.
    I consider all of these people as close friends that I just haven't had the opportunity to meet in person yet.
    Also some of the sharpest minds on this forum.
    People who "find a way" to make things work.
    We run our machines not on 20 second benchmarks but at 100% load 24/7/365
    You would fit in well here I think as you have a good heart and sharp mind.

Oh, an addendum. They will tease the living crap out of you once they get to know you but know that it's always done with a smile and no malice.
    That understanding is crucial here or at times you might think you've been tossed into a mosh pit at a heavy metal concert.
    Welcome to the WCG section Francois.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Don't worry. You feel safer knowing that if you get felt up around here, they're not after your wallet and watch, they've just mistaken you for a sheep.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wuf
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    Don't worry. You feel safer knowing that if you get felt up around here, they're not after your wallet and watch, they've just mistaken you for a sheep.
    Nonono we actually are after your wallet, spend ur nice money to new nice crunchers and use their powers for WCG
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

Xtreme crazy bastid
    and I thought it was all about the sheep

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wuf
    Sry i'm not from ohio so i don't know this sheep
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

Xtreme crazy bastid
    You not one of them hamster folk are ya?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Priceless

Xtremely unstable
    yes!

Francois Piednoel
    Intel Corp.
    I'm sure there's been extensive testing by intel, in the labs, and by others, perhaps in different situations. Is it possible for you to expand a bit on this ddr3 voltage situation even if you just revealed a bit of your personal experience with it? While it's true my ddr3 kits will run fine at low (1.5v-1.7v) voltage, it isn't without sacrificing high clocks and nice timings. They really don't start to shine until 1.9v and beyond. Maybe this is putting you on the spot more than you will allow, but how much voltage can these memory controllers handle? I obviously didn't buy a flex xlc kit to run 1333@cl9
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

maybe it will!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by loonym View Post
    I'm sure there's been extensive testing by intel, in the labs, and by others, perhaps in different situations. Is it possible for you to expand a bit on this ddr3 voltage situation even if you just revealed a bit of your personal experience with it? While it's true my ddr3 kits will run fine at low (1.5v-1.7v) voltage, it isn't without sacrificing high clocks and nice timings. They really don't start to shine until 1.9v and beyond. Maybe this is putting you on the spot more than you will allow, but how much voltage can these memory controllers handle? I obviously didn't buy a flex xlc kit to run 1333@cl9
    If you look on the last say 3-4 pages of the Nehalem Bloomfield thread in News, there's a fair bit on the IMC. DrWho? suggested that something around the 1.8-1.85v should be the absolute max for 24/7 use without too much risk of damaging the CPU. Unfortunately it seems to be one of the down-sides of an IMC, as I've known a few people who have burnt out Phenoms due to too much mem voltage.

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtremely unstable
    I think I'll hold off a bit before I start comparing this to phenom I can run ddr3-1600 with 1.85v if I slack the timings just a little I think.
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

maybe it will!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by loonym View Post
    I think I'll hold off a bit before I start comparing this to phenom
    I'm not comparing it to Phenom, I'm just saying that both have IMC's (different IMCs, but both IMC's none the less), and both have problems where using too much vDIMM can burn out the CPU, so initally, at least, it looks like it's a down-side of having an IMC, which in my opinion is hugely out-weighed by all the advantages of an IMC

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Oh, an addendum. They will tease the living crap out of you once they get to know you but know that it's always done with a smile and no malice..
    Dont worry dave, we'll save the stalk burning until he gets to know a few of us.

only if your from ohio.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12