Thread: Networking issue I cannot figure out

Xtreme Cruncher

Exclamation Networking issue I cannot figure out

First off, I have been using this routers current configuration for over 60 days, no resets. Well last night at 1am my internet dropped. I thought no big deal, I'll just go to bed and in the morning it will be fixed....

Nope, so I did the standard resets and still nothing. Then I did a settings reset on the router, still nothing. So I plug the modem into my computer to see if I'm even getting anything, yup everything is fine.

So I plug modem back into the router and again nothing. I reset my modem to let it do it's auto config thing and set up the router, nothing... again.

I am getting a WAN address on my router and it is valid. I am also getting a valid LAN address on my PC. I just don't know what's broken in this chain, though all fingers point to the router. I feel that I have tried everything that I know to fix this or isolate the problem and I am left empty handed.

Any suggestions as to what the cause is and/or how to fix this?

Da Goose
    2 things to try & isolate...Reset router...if still no go then try turning off firewall. What OS are you using. Run IPCONFIG and post screeny.

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yea I tried resetting the router a couple times, as well as the modem. Here's some screen shots for you...

WAN screen on DD-WRT
    LAN screen on DD-WRT
    ipconfig results

I am using server 2008 std.

Xtreme Member
    Crazy thought, but that's an awfully short lease time for your ISP. 1 hour? *blink blink*

Try setting the MAC address of the router's WAN interface to the MAC address of your computer and give it a go, see what happens. It could be that your ISP is blocking your router's IP (which is tied to the MAC) from going somewhere because they thought they saw illegitimate traffic or whatever. I had that happen once or twice. Pissed me right off.

Other than that, looks like everything is in order. Dumb question, but how are you testing your connection? Simple ping of something like www.google.com, or 75.124.47.103? Just curious.

mount -o protected -t voluptuous,selfmaintaining /dev/woman /mnt/me

Can you SSH into the router, and ping something outside?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well changing the MAC of my router to match my PC netted the same results as before. I will see about SSH, I was looking for a way in the GUI of DD WRT to do it, but can't find it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well interestingly enough, my router is able to resolve google.com and ping it just fine. However, ping still fails from my PC whether I use google.com or the IP from the routers results. Just for s**ts I tried doing a trace route from my PC, it was able to resolve the IPs hostname but seemed to not leave the router. Here's the screen shots.

ping test
    trace route

Attack Dachshund
    that's happened to mine before, and a "reset to factory defaults" and bios flash fixed it... it happened on a power out one time, and also another time when I switched modems.. a simple reset settings didn't work, I had to throw the factory defaults and flash the bios.. I almost bought a new router thinking mine had taken a crap after 4 yrs in service... but the factory default and bios flash kicked it back into life.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well I had previously tried to reflash/reset using the 'standard' firmware. I did it once again but used the '54g mini' and now it works! I don't know why it messed up in the first place, cause there was never a power outage, oh well.

Problem solved with firmware reflash from standard to mini.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Xtreme Member
    Is it a wrt54g or something similar? I have a couple of these and sometimes even the smallest of spikes/surges/ripples whatever corrupts the flash, sometimes a reboot fixes it other times I have to ***reflash!*** Sorry typo!
    Last edited by ben0; 10-05-2008 at 12:11 AM.

Q9650 @ 4.05Ghz
    ATI Radeon 4870x2
    2 x 2Gb OCZ DDR3 @ 1800Mhz
    Evga 790i :-)
    Tagan 1100w PSU :-)
    3 x OCZ Core v2 32Gb SSD's on Perc 5i :-)

Cooling: DTEK Fuzion, PA120.3, EK Res250, DDC18W with Petras Top

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yes sir, right on the nose... wrt54g v3.

Attack Dachshund
    that's what I'm using as well... I tried some aftermarket bios's that said they would allow the wireless signal to be turned up, but they were horrible.
    finally I went with the official linksys firmware http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...ypage=download

and it fixed it..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	86364  

Xtreme Member
    Yeah - I know the feeling. I have two wrt54gl's running in a Point to Point link, and anything after 70 odd mW doesn't really make any difference. I finally moving over to the Avila IXP platform!

Q9650 @ 4.05Ghz
    ATI Radeon 4870x2
    2 x 2Gb OCZ DDR3 @ 1800Mhz
    Evga 790i :-)
    Tagan 1100w PSU :-)
    3 x OCZ Core v2 32Gb SSD's on Perc 5i :-)

Cooling: DTEK Fuzion, PA120.3, EK Res250, DDC18W with Petras Top

Xtreme Cruncher
    I actually have the wireless disabled. I use dd-wrt because I like to have more control over it, and to see what all the 'hub-bub' is about.