Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Exclusive: Intel Larrabee 5 times faster than Nvidia, AMD

Xtreme Member
    I hope it's even faster.

That way it will put some pressure on the Red and Green Teams to develop some nice GPUs (instead of just glueing some together or renaming some )

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl View Post
    any bases for this? couse i'm a bit tired of reading this articles with just speculation.

Also remember Larrabee is way off and will compete with something completely diferent (much better) that the current line up from NVIDIA or ATI
    They base it off of theoretical calculations achievable with the width of the operands, the number of executions per cycle, and the number of course as a particular clock speed.... until there is real silicon, it is purely 'based on simulation' like information.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Addict
    I thought they meant 5x faster than AMD/Nvidia's best until I read IGP. Maybe by 2016 it'll catch up to the 8000 and 3000 series.

All systems sold. Will be back after Sandy Bridge!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by clayton View Post
    I thought they meant 5x faster than AMD/Nvidia's best until I read IGP. Maybe by 2016 it'll catch up to the 8000 and 3000 series.
    Larrabee is not an IGP related product, it is going into discrete graphics cards as well as HPC accelerated sockets.
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.

I am Xtreme
    so how would something based off a VERY old cpu that was not that good be better than today's cpu's. based on an MMX cpu.. pfpfpf

listen boys and girls Intel is a CPU maker, GPU making is VERY VERY different and if you have ever tried intels GPU's, you know, for a fACT, for a 100% freaking holy jesus FACT that intel is NOT, never has been and never will be a GPU maker.
    you cant just start making GPU's overnight.

i say this is horse crap, and yes that is my opinion, but if you read this forum and many MANY others you find that this is the same opion of so many others.

I dont think we doubted the Core series cpu's but this isnt a cpu, its completely different. and for Intel to say "we're basing this GPU, which isnt even out market, off an old cpu that was not very good, then i say they are just higher than a kite to even insuate that the performance would be even to the level of today's gpu's.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    <---------------------- I'm with Itanium
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Member
    so they just sarted making SSD's overnight and look how good they perform. Unfortunately intel has the money and the engineers to build a gpu like this, however by the time the card is due for a release nvidia and amd will outperform the larabee

I am Xtreme
    Wow this will be interesting.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD:
    3dmark score = 1.1 x nv
    ingame fps = 0.9 x nv
    Intel:
    3dmark score = 2 x nv
    ingame fps = nv/2

Xtreme Legend
    Lestat
    you are forgetting the sheer size of that company. They can just buy the experts and give them whatever they want to crush the competition. I wouldnt be surprised to see them going gungho and being very competitive by the time they hit 2/3rd gen of GPUs
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    Lestat
    you are forgetting the sheer size of that company. They can just buy the experts and give them whatever they want to crush the competition. I wouldnt be surprised to see them going gungho and being very competitive by the time they hit 2/3rd gen of GPUs
    Which is why they pretty much hired anyone with experience in graphics before the Larrabee project was greenlighted
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    And Larrabee will be alot more efficient in the resource usage than current GPUs.
    Yeah but by 2010 that could easily change.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    so how would something based off a VERY old cpu that was not that good be better than today's cpu's. based on an MMX cpu.. pfpfpf

listen boys and girls Intel is a CPU maker, GPU making is VERY VERY different and if you have ever tried intels GPU's, you know, for a fACT, for a 100% freaking holy jesus FACT that intel is NOT, never has been and never will be a GPU maker.
    you cant just start making GPU's overnight.

i say this is horse crap, and yes that is my opinion, but if you read this forum and many MANY others you find that this is the same opion of so many others.

I dont think we doubted the Core series cpu's but this isnt a cpu, its completely different. and for Intel to say "we're basing this GPU, which isnt even out market, off an old cpu that was not very good, then i say they are just higher than a kite to even insuate that the performance would be even to the level of today's gpu's.
    You fail to understand the sheer size of Intel.. a few hundred people with a huge budget can create wonders. Don't underestimate what lots of people with lots of resources can do, a few years of research and modifications yielded Conroe

Xtreme Addict
    how was the atom a huge success? man what a joke
    E8400 8x500=4000 | ABIT IP35-E
    2x2GB Tracer PC2-6400 1:1 500MHz 5-5-5-15 2.0V
    Galaxy 8800GT 800/2000/1100 1.3V | 80GB X25-M G2 + 1.5TB 7200.11 | XFiXG
    Fuzion | MCW60 | DDC2+Petra | Coolrad22T+BIP1

Merom 13x133=1733 1MB L2 0.950V

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    And I'll be running the GTX 430 OMGWTFBBQFTWROFLLMAO Edition.
    I doubt it. By that time the GTX 500 series will be out and your card
    will become the GTX 430 OMGWTFBBQFTWROFLLMAO+ Edition

Xtreme Enthusiast
    people that doubt intel forget that this is a completely vertically integrated company that basically turns sand into money as Nvidia well knows, with the best manufacturing tech in the industry and the abilty to hire/buy experts just as well as anyone else.
    Core i5 750 3.8ghz, TRUE 120 w/Panaflo M1A 7v
    ASRock P55 Deluxe
    XFX 5870
    2x2GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
    Samsung 2233RZ - Pioneer PDP-5020FD - Hyundai L90D+
    Raptor WD1500ADFD - WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
    X-FI XtremeMusic w/ LN4962
    Seasonic S12-500
    Antec P182

Xtreme Addict
    It seems the magic will be in the software, If they can pull that off then it will perform.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen-Hsun Huang
    Larrabee hasn't shipped so you don't know what it is and I don't know what it is. That said, by the time it does ship, Nvidia's technology will be so far advanced it won't matter.
    ^^^
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Member
    First they must learn how to build decent igp, because ALL of their igps are crap. When they get it, they can start to think in serious gpus.
    Larrabee->hype->

Xtreme Addict
    I would like to see this, but knowing how much intel fails on the graphic department well puts me on doubt if larrabe could be a success when it launches...and like some of here mentioned, by the time larrabe arrives nvidia & amd will have a more advanced, faster, more efficient gpu on the market. I could be wrong on larrabe tho, but time will tell...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quad 4870s are capable of just under 5TFlops. 64 pentium MMX based cores at 2GHz, I doubt would even break 1TFlop (a heavily overclocked yorkfield doesn't even break 100Gflops). The only thing intel has going is the brand name.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, pointless to debate the merit of tech that's 2 yrs out. Logic dictates that if they do well, we win. If they don't do well, we have more competition on price and competition for better technology, we win again.
    Modded Cosmos. | Maximus II Formula. Bios 1307| 2x2 Mushkin XP ASCENT 8500 | Q9550-E0- 4.10 + TRUE | Visiontek HD4870X2 | LN32A550 1920x1080 | X-FI Extreme Gamer | Z5300E | G15v.1 | G7 | MX518 | Corsair HX1000 | X25-MG2 80G | 5xHDD

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    Quad 4870s are capable of just under 5TFlops. 64 pentium MMX based cores at 2GHz, I doubt would even break 1TFlop (a heavily overclocked yorkfield doesn't even break 100Gflops). The only thing intel has going is the brand name.
    http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/U...e_manycore.pdf

The theoretical throughput for a single larrabee core at 1 GHz is 32 GFLOPs, at 16 cores 1 GHz this comes in at 512 GFLOPs, running at 2 GHz would be 1 TFLOP, 64 running at 2 GHz would be 4 TFLOP, 64 core running at 2.5 GHz would be 5 TFLOP.

Your error is assuming Larrabee is simply a single Pentium MMX core ... this is too simplified of an assumption, Intel has constructed the core to process 4 threads with up to 16 SP vector operations per clock per core.

Jack

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    They base it off of theoretical calculations achievable with the width of the operands, the number of executions per cycle, and the number of course as a particular clock speed.... until there is real silicon, it is purely 'based on simulation' like information.

Cool but for me is still a rumor (this news) and way to far away (Larrabee), also there are so many variables when you want to enter a "new" market (in this case for Intel) that even the biggest guy in the world wouldnt claim to sweep the competition.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl View Post
    Cool but for me is still a rumor (this news) and way to far away (Larrabee), also there are so many variables when you want to enter a "new" market (in this case for Intel) that even the biggest guy in the world wouldnt claim to sweep the competition.
    I don't disagree ... on paper it sounds cool, conceptually interesting, potentially competitive ... but it is vaporware until actual product is shown and tested.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast