Thread: ZOMG Screenshot (SS Tool for Overclockers)

Threaded View

ZOMG Screenshot (SS Tool for Overclockers)

Hello folks.

I thought some of you might find this program useful. It's called ZOMG Screenshot. It has been designed to load as quickly as possible, capture an image of your screen, and dump it to disk all without any interaction on your part. In the world of suicide overclocks and trophy shots, this can make the difference between "well, it did x but crashed before I could take a SS" or "here's a blurry pic I took with my camera" and "Here's a screenshot of it!".

Anyway, it needs the .NET Framework 2.0 or higher. When you run it, it will dump your screenshot into a subfolder called "captures" wherever the program resides. After it takes the shot, it'll close itself in three seconds automatically to get out of your way. If you wish to see the image, there's an "Open..." button that can be used during that time. You can also close it manually if three seconds is too long.

It's freeware. Just have fun with it.

UPDATE: Revision 2
    In addition to what it did before, I thought it would be neat if I had it auto-save windows that it recognizes. No worries--it still saves a full screenshot first since that's the most important thing to get on the disk asap. However, if you are running SuperPI, CPUZ, or piFast 4.1 it will now take the opportunity to save them each individually as well. This eliminates the need to fit all the windows on your screen (overlap problems) and also gets rid of tedious cropping. THIS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK RIGHT on your system depending on how fast or slow your video card's 2D engine is. It might be worth playing with though.

UPDATE: Revision 2b
    If you end up with pictures of the stuff behind CPU-Z and the like, try this one. It's more forgiving and gives a full second for your programs to finish drawing instead of a tenth of a second. I'm still searching for an API call I can make to poll if a window is actually fully drawn or not.

-edit- Fixed bug in R2.

UPDATE: Revision 3
    R3 is replacing both R2 and R2b. It uses faster commands available in the Windows API than before. It also gives more time to allow redraws. Finally, it forces the windows to refresh, hopefully ensuring a good capture of the partial windows.

All of the files below are fine for use. You do not need to just pick the latest one!
    ZOMG Screenshot.zip - Only takes an image of your screen and dumps it to disk asap.
    ZOMG Screenshot R3.zip - In addition to an image of your screen, it locates and take shots of apps like CPUZ, SuperPI Mod, etc if they are running.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zomgscreenshot.png 
Views:	1025 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	86093  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Particle; 10-03-2008 at 06:47 AM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.