Thread: Father leaves nine children at Nebraska hospital

I am Xtreme

Father leaves nine children at Nebraska hospital

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...-leaves-n.html

Father leaves nine children at Nebraska hospital

Parents are abandoning teenagers at Nebraska hospitals, in a case of a well intentioned law inspiring unintended results.

Over the last two weeks, moms or dads have dropped off seven teens at hospitals in the Cornhusker state, indicating they didn’t want to care for them any more.

“They were tired of their parenting role,” according to Todd Landry of Nebraska’s Department of Health and Human Services, quoted in USA Today.

Under a newly implemented law, Nebraska is the only state in the nation to allow parents to leave children of any age at hospitals and request they be taken care of, USA Today notes. So-called “safe haven laws” in other states were designed to protect babies and infants from parental abandonment.

The most eye-popping case in Nebraska occurred Wednesday, when a 34-year-old father deposited nine children ages 1 to 17 at Creighton University Medical Center -- and then walked away.

The mother died a year and a half ago after a cerebral hemorrhage. The father, Gary Staton, told KETV-TV, a local station, "I was with her for 17 years, and then she was gone. What was I going to do? We raised them together. I didn't think I could do it alone. I fell apart. I couldn't take care of them."

The Omaha World-Herald reported that the man had a “history of unemployment, eviction notices and unpaid bills – and a psychologist’s determination that he lacked common sense.”

The children’s grandmother told the World-Herald other family members planned to take care of the children, but the paper said their destination was still uncertain.

In USA Today, Landry said the children were “struggling to varying degrees with what’s happened to them.”

The World-Herald wrote that “state social service officials cautioned Thursday that leaving children at hospitals doesn’t absolve parents of their responsibilities.”

As if the events already recounted weren’t odd enough, the World-Herald said that in a separate incident, an 18 year old boy had turned himself in under the law Tuesday at a hospital in Grand Island, Nebraska.

The moral of this story appears to be that safe haven laws need to be very carefully and narrowly written to ensure they’re not abused by parents.

Making sure an unwanted baby finds a home where he or she will be healthy and cared for is one thing. Telling difficult teenagers or nine children “you’re not my responsibility any more” is another.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

The Omaha World-Herald reported that the man had a “history of unemployment, eviction notices and unpaid bills – and a psychologist’s determination that he lacked common sense.”
    No... really??

Some people
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Look at it from a different perspective.

His wife was likely a stay-in-home mother, caring for the children. He was, on the other hand, providing for the family. After doing it for over eighteen years, his wife died. What do you expect him to do? Pretend that his life didn't just fell apart and be a great dad? I don't think it works that way.

I think his situation is legitimate and authorities should not be concerned about responsibility in this case.

I am Xtreme
    I read that yesterday,at least the problem was revealed early on and no harm came to the children (why the law was en-acted)and I'm sure social services can help this family with some guidance.
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Quote Originally Posted by krogen View Post

His wife was likely a stay-in-home mother, caring for the children. He was, on the other hand, providing for the family. After doing it for over eighteen years, his wife died. What do you expect him to do? Pretend that his life didn't just fell apart and be a great dad? I don't think it works that way.

I think his situation is legitimate and authorities should not be concerned about responsibility in this case.
    Did ya miss this part ^ ?

I would expect him to man up, get off his lazy arse and get a job.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post

Some folks fall on hard luck and simply don't do as well as others. Lets see how well you do after losing your wife of 18 years.

I know personally if my better half suddenly passed, I'd be a total wreck for quite a while.

Just the thought of anything happening to her upsets me.
    Heatware

Main
    intel i5 3570k @ 4+ GHz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.1 |Crucial Ballistix Tactical VLP 2x8GB DDR3-1600
    intel 335 240GB SSD | WD Black 640GB HDD
    Sapphire AMD 7870XT 2GB w-Boost (Tahiti LE)
    Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-e

HTPC
    AMD FX 6300 Vishera | ASRock 970 Extreme 3 | Kingston HyperX Black 2x4GB DDR3-1600
    intel 320 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 640GB HDD
    AMD Visiontek HD7850 2GB
    Dlink DWA-556 Wireless N Adapter

Tablet
    Lenovo IdeaTab A2109 - Running rooted J-Bean & ADW

Xtreme Legend
    i feel bad in a way for the guy and these kids but at the same time can't understand how someone can have so many kids and expect to raise them properly
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Quote Originally Posted by krogen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
    Some folks fall on hard luck and simply don't do as well as others. Lets see how well you do after losing your wife of 18 years.

I know personally if my better half suddenly passed, I'd be a total wreck for quite a while.

Just the thought of anything happening to her upsets me.
    I divorced my sorry @$$ wife when my youngest of three sons was one year old.
    I raised the boys on my own until they were all grown, at times (three years) feeding us on less than $7 a week and going without food myself for up to four days in a row so the children would have food.
    When I came home from my regular job, I would do any amount of work for any amount of money for people in my neighborhood because anything is better than nothing.

It's a parents responsibility to raise their children, regardless of the hardship.

Life's not always easy, sometimes it takes hard work and perseverance.

I never remarried but I am plenty comfortable now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I divorced my sorry @$$ wife when my youngest of three sons was one year old.
    I raised the boys on my own until they were all grown, at times (three years) feeding us on less than $7 a week and going without food myself for up to four days in a row so the children would have food.
    When I came home from my regular job, I would do any amount of work for any amount of money for people in my neighborhood because anything is better than nothing.

It's a parents responsibility to raise their children, regardless of the hardship.

Life's not always easy, sometimes it takes hard work and perseverance.

I never remarried but I am plenty comfortable now.
    Well...some people just aren't cut out to live on the edge of a black hole like you are.

Me? I'm more of a Moon guy myself.
    Heatware

Main
    intel i5 3570k @ 4+ GHz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.1 |Crucial Ballistix Tactical VLP 2x8GB DDR3-1600
    intel 335 240GB SSD | WD Black 640GB HDD
    Sapphire AMD 7870XT 2GB w-Boost (Tahiti LE)
    Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-e

HTPC
    AMD FX 6300 Vishera | ASRock 970 Extreme 3 | Kingston HyperX Black 2x4GB DDR3-1600
    intel 320 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 640GB HDD
    AMD Visiontek HD7850 2GB
    Dlink DWA-556 Wireless N Adapter

Tablet
    Lenovo IdeaTab A2109 - Running rooted J-Bean & ADW

c[_]
    You space faring folk are nuts, I like earth

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    I'm not surprised parents are dropping their teenagers off - the way some of them behave (& the parents have nooo idea how to control)....

YA HEAR THAT KIDS!?!?? STRAIGHTEN THE F**K UP OR GET PUT OUT!

suck s**t ya lil teen-turds

DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

It wasn't intentionally designed that way. An oversight when creating the law allowed this loophole to happen, and they plan to fix it.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Enthusiast
    9 kids? someone should have found his wife some birth control a LONG time ago especially if her husband had mental problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    honestly there are some really stupid people here. I mean stupid as in low IQ and fantastic imaginations with little deductive reasoning.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    I'm not surprised parents are dropping their teenagers off - the way some of them behave (& the parents have nooo idea how to control)....

YA HEAR THAT KIDS!?!?? STRAIGHTEN THE F**K UP OR GET PUT OUT!

suck s**t ya lil teen-turds

thus the reason most kids behave the way they do, noone wants to teach them or make sure they dont act that way. especially not the parents.
    emptiness

Xtreme Guru
    if i had 9 kids i'd probably find some place to drop them off
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Theres nothing like some tough discipline them kids need. As for the parents? They need solitary confinement for 20 years. Giving up your kids like that.... you don't deserve to live free anymore IMHO.

Xtreme Cruncher

Or just sit on his ass and collect welfare like everybody else with 9 kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    One other thing. How the hell do you LACK common sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Attack Dachshund
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] 2long4u View Post
    Or just sit on his ass and collect welfare like everybody else with 9 kids.
    that's what I was thinking. I've seen so many examples of this in lower income towns... minority mothers with a dozen dirty kids living in a shack, and collecting welfare on a even dozen dependent welfare check and food stamps. that's like the alternative career advancement for low income america, lots of dependents.

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    The World-Herald wrote that “state social service officials cautioned Thursday that leaving children at hospitals doesn’t absolve parents of their responsibilities.”
    Well if he leaves them there. Would it be clever to send them back to him ?

THINK NOT
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Quote Originally Posted by zabomb4163 View Post
    9 kids? someone should have found his wife some birth control a LONG time ago especially if her husband had mental problems.
    Unless they wanted those kids

There is NOTHING wrong with having 9 kids if you can take care of them (not the case this time but generally speaking). Shoot if you want 9 kids, or more, and can take care of them, more power to ya. It is nobody's business on deciding how many kids parents have.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

9 kids these days is nothing like it was 50 years ago...my mom is 1 of 11, and my dad is 1 of 7. That's 16 aunts/uncles, and who knows how many cousins. And that's back in the days where only the dad worked and the mom tended to the house.

Financially, today that's impossible for most people, even with both parents working.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Member

So just because he has a history of unemployment means that his lazy? People go through hard times and a job isn't always available.

Thumbs up

Life's not always easy, sometimes it takes hard work and perseverance

I agree 1000%