Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to get a good deal on a D90?

Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl View Post
    Then you should see the prices on other items around here you wouldnt believe it, we normally pay doble to triple the retail price of the US. Hardware is the only "cheap" tech product we get couse it doesnt pay duties (thought Tax here is 19%).
    Wow. That really sucks.

I just got my D90 18-105 kit from B&H for $1,235ish. The webpage advertises retail price but when you log in with your own account, it should reflect a discounted price. I also got the SB-900 flash; when I saw it could be act as a slave flash from the D90's built in flash, I was sold. I have been doing my best to hold out from plunging into the DSLR pool but with the release of the D90, I couldn't resist anymore. Up to this point, I've been using my wife's Canon G6 for digital work and my old Nikon 8008s for the few film pics I take. My first digital camera...that's still working if I get the battery door fixed is the CoolPix 990. Still a killer camera!

I'm greatly enjoying the camera! It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. *said in my best Ferris Bueller voice*.
    Last edited by shellac; 10-30-2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: brainfade

shellac, congrats on the D90. That is a great camera.

A note on the SB900 flash, the SB600 and 800 have the same wireless capability, if you don't need the extra features and high price of the 900.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    shellac, congrats on the D90. That is a great camera.

A note on the SB900 flash, the SB600 and 800 have the same wireless capability, if you don't need the extra features and high price of the 900.
    I just want the SB900 for the on off switch. The SB800 on off switch is terribly annoying. Some people were saying that the SB800 doesnt work well with non-full frame cameras which is a load of BS. My SB800 works beautifully on my D300.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer View Post
    I just want the SB900 for the on off switch. The SB800 on off switch is terribly annoying. Some people were saying that the SB800 doesnt work well with non-full frame cameras which is a load of BS. My SB800 works beautifully on my D300.
    The SB800 was out loooooooooong before Nikon had a full-frame camera, so that is bs.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I'm very pleased with the purchase so far and I see my admiration of the camera growing over time as I start to leverage it for what it can do. Thanks for the ups Soulburner on the other flashes but I usually find a way to leverage the features of what the flash will allow. Now that I have a good DSLR body, I can focus on getting some nice glass around me for the future!

Sometime about 15 or so years ago, I walked into Helix here in Chicago all ready to get the Nikkor AF 24-70 2.8 lens for my 8008s; that was the lens I was going to buy come hell or high water. So I get there, and for reasons beyond me, the sales dude at Helix talked me into a Tokina AT-X 28-70 2.8 for about $350.00 less. I've been kicking myself in the ass since that day as the Tokina is a good lens, just not near as sharp as the Nikkor. I'm sure the margin on the Tokina was way above the Nikkor glass hence the switch.

Anyway, I am now in a very comfortable position with a very capable D90 body (I'm not a pro photographer, more of a prosumer photographer) and can now focus resources toward a nice lens collection. So far, I have the original AF 50mm 1.4 from the 8008s purchase, the Tokina and now the 18-105 that came with the D90. The Nikkor 70-200 2.8 will prolly be my next purchase in time.

*working a lame segue back onto the thread topic*

I am assuming that after you add an item to a shopping card while logged into B&H, you'll see a mildly discounted price for gear? I know (assume) that I have not received any special accommodations for my shopping at their site, so I'm guessing everyone will get a minor discount after the item is added to a cart. I would say you must be a registered user for this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    The SB800 was out loooooooooong before Nikon had a full-frame camera, so that is bs.
    Really now.. What are all of those crazy film cameras then??

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What's film?
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Started life as a FTW and ended up as a WTF.

Okay, full-frame digital.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I know this isn’t a review thread and I’m sorry for the digression but I just wanted to chime in to say how much I’m lovin' the D90. Coming from a D70, this model is truly the cat’s meow. After almost a week, my only criticism is Nikon’s choice to enclose all the I/O connectors behind a single, largish rubber flap. This makes working with a USB cable and Nikon Camera Control a bit cumbersome. I preferred the arrangement on the D70 that provided unfettered access to the USB connector thanks to a minuscule rubber protective cover. If only they’d appointed the lower GPS connector location to the USB connector, I’d have no complaints as all. I mean, what’s so special about GPS that it deserves its own rubber flap?

Nitpicking I know – but it is a big ‘ol piece of rubber to have to contend with.

Oh, the Live View feature is stellar!

Quote Originally Posted by charles_h View Post
    I know this isn’t a review thread and I’m sorry for the digression but I just wanted to chime in to say how much I’m lovin' the D90. Coming from a D70, this model is truly the cat’s meow. After almost a week, my only criticism is Nikon’s choice to enclose all the I/O connectors behind a single, largish rubber flap. This makes working with a USB cable and Nikon Camera Control a bit cumbersome. I preferred the arrangement on the D70 that provided unfettered access to the USB connector thanks to a minuscule rubber protective cover. If only they’d appointed the lower GPS connector location to the USB connector, I’d have no complaints as all. I mean, what’s so special about GPS that it deserves its own rubber flap?
    I think this is their reasoning: All of the ports used in the big flap are ones that you would NOT use while shooting in the field, whereas the GPS port you WOULD use in the field. So to keep the unit weather sealed, then needed to have no exposed ports while in field use with accessories attached.

Futhermore, you will notice the two front ports missing on the D90 that the D300, D700, & D3 have. These are for connecting professional accesories, which would not make sense to have on the D90, seeing as how its not part of their "pro" lineup.

EDIT for typos.
    Last edited by MaxxxRacer; 11-01-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think this is their reasoning: All of the ports used in the big flap are ones that you would NOT use while shooting in the field, whereas the GPS port you WOULD use in the field. So to keep the unit weather sealed, then needed to have no exposed ports while in field use with accessories attached.
    This makes total sense.

I hadn't really explored the GPS feature. With the LCD screen as large as it is, I'll have to look into a dashboard mount for my D90! Then again, GPS navigation without the voice feature probably isn't the best idea while driving.

Futhermore, you will notice the two front ports missing on the D90 that the D300, D700, & D3 have. These are for connecting professional accesories, which would make sense to have on the D9, seeing as how its not in their "pro" lineup.
    Indeed.

While googling the D700 to see these front ports you mentioned, I found this image that almost begs to be used in a caption this capacity:

Ok, I'm done derailing; back to the deals.

lol @ the photo. no idea what lens that is, but the cam is a D3

Is that a hired tripod? Also, It's my understanding that the GPS module is specifically for embedding GPS location data for each picture you take.

...staying on the oddball, the picture of the cat in the charles h avatar looks to be getting it's ass whiped with the avatar from Soulburner.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol @ the photo. no idea what lens that is, but the cam is a D3
    Going by lens hood, 400 2.8 or 600 4

Quote Originally Posted by YugenM View Post
    Going by lens hood, 400 2.8 or 600 4
    nope. Both of those lenses have a single carbon hood. That one has a dual stage carbon hood. And if you look at the body of the lens it looks like nothing from Nikon.

Banned
    If you hadn't bought it, you can wait till the black friday, some good shops to go are bh photovideo, amazon and dell. You can also use the pricegrabber search for the lowwest price for it.
    Tried pricegrabber for that camera.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nope. Both of those lenses have a single carbon hood. That one has a dual stage carbon hood. And if you look at the body of the lens it looks like nothing from Nikon.
    Do the older Nikon teleprimes have dual-stage hoods? Because the new AF-S primes have dual-stage hoods (except for the 500 which just has a loooooong one) but that lens looks like no AF-S

Quote Originally Posted by YugenM View Post
    Do the older Nikon teleprimes have dual-stage hoods? Because the new AF-S primes have dual-stage hoods (except for the 500 which just has a loooooong one) but that lens looks like no AF-S
    No idea. The pics of the 300, 400 and 600 primes I have seen all have one ginormous hood, not the 2 stage one in the photo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12