Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigabyte EP45T-Extreme 14K+ across the board

Xtreme Legend
    so you take a 30MHz FSB hit on FSB with corsairs outch

that happened to me on 965 asus boards stangely enough but not on other chipsets

i might try different ram as well during testing
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Gigabyte Champion USA
    Only for boot. Either set will clock up to ~670FSB on this setup after it's on the desktop. F4f seems to have tighter boot PLs, so that's probably the hold up on it for boot FSB. The C7Ds definitely have some tighter secondaries than the Ballistix too, so that probably has a lot to do with why they won't boot as high either

I will be messing around some tonight and will see if the C7Ds will do 3D01 at the same FSB/primaries/PL that the Ballistix did. I'll report back

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedevo View Post
    Thanks Gautam...now if I could get it to run with 10x like this

I honestly don't know Chris. I ran an 8600 in the P5Q3 once, but I was still on DI then, so I'm in the same situation there. Weird that you have the exact same CB in the same board. I should probably send one of these to G H Z or Gautam to try in an RE or something and see what happens
    I'll test out on the Rampage Extreme and 790i FTW this weekend.. I'm crossing my fingers that it's the EP45T-Extreme exhibiting some weird cold-bug like my 780i had. The highest I can bench is ~6250MHz but 6100Mhz is a struggle with 3D. Will report back

Gigabyte Champion USA
    Please do, we'll all be curious

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    I'll test out on the Rampage Extreme and 790i FTW this weekend.. I'm crossing my fingers that it's the EP45T-Extreme exhibiting some weird cold-bug like my 780i had. The highest I can bench is ~6250MHz but 6100Mhz is a struggle with 3D. Will report back
    no funny cold bugs with EP45T Extreme i have man except for cold boot bug of -76C but i can boot at 6GHz at that temp so no probs here

operating temps on my chip go down to -151C before it crashes heheh

in terms of nvidia chipsets and funny behaviour under cold make sure you do not flex the board much....also loosen F1 mounting enough that it;s just holding it in place first and then just do small turns

i was able to increase my cold bug with 790i like that.....but it was still not going past say -110C on chips which did -140C with biostar for example or other intel chipsets which is weird as Vince didn't have those problems heh

i don't know if Vince knows hipro5 cold mod for CPUs though...i wish i could have that mod
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Admin
    Try covering the thermtrip pin on the socket.

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...hts/318726.pdf

Cell 2M on page 45.

Weird about 790i, I had 3 chips doing -125 in it no problem, one of them was good for -130.
    Last edited by Gautam; 09-30-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Gigabyte Champion USA
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Do your two chips cold-bug at the same temperatures on other boards? Those are almost exactly what my E8600 bugs on my EP45T-Extreme and I haven't tested it on LN2 on any other board. -107C at idle and -111C under load. Unfortunately my EP45T-Extreme has issues booting with low MCH volts now, needs 1.45v to boot dual-channel
    I think you jinxed me Chris It was flying through 3Ds yesterday like 650FSB was 500. I realized that 3D01 above was on SPi tweaks, not 3Ds, so I messed around and did like 10 3D01s getting things as tight as possible, rebooted for a fresh run with the settings and it kept locking on boot. It would stop just about anywhere, but "CE" was the most prevalent code. I thought I killed the mem or something, but it wouldn't boot with the other set of Ballistix either. For some reason, it likes the C7Ds when that happens though

It's a pain because now every time it's a bad BIOS setting and tries to reboot with defaults, I either need to swap mem or try 20x to get into BIOS and raise MCH before it locks. If we get an MCH mod, that should fix the default voltage problem just the like Vddr mods did for the old Corsairs

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    no funny cold bugs with EP45T Extreme i have man except for cold boot bug of -76C but i can boot at 6GHz at that temp so no probs here

operating temps on my chip go down to -151C before it crashes heheh

in terms of nvidia chipsets and funny behaviour under cold make sure you do not flex the board much....also loosen F1 mounting enough that it;s just holding it in place first and then just do small turns

i was able to increase my cold bug with 790i like that.....but it was still not going past say -110C on chips which did -140C with biostar for example or other intel chipsets which is weird as Vince didn't have those problems heh

i don't know if Vince knows hipro5 cold mod for CPUs though...i wish i could have that mod
    I wish I could have those temps. I don't think G H Z paid much attention when I told him how close I was benching to crashing it on temps until Taipei LOL.

The quad I used before the event bugged in this board at -68C With a load, it would go all the way to -71C LOL. I was petrified we would wind up with something like that there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post

Cell 2M on page 45.

Weird about 790i, I had 3 chips doing -125 in it no problem, one of them was good for -130.
    Nice Gautam! Getting just the right one will be tricky though Is it feasible just to cover its pad on the proc instead? Just curious since you specified the pin rather than the proc. I am thinking maybe some silicone or nail polish on a toothpick would be really easy on the CPU. Got any recommendations on how to do it?

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post

Cell 2M on page 45.

hey man its board related
    let me give you an example
    we had -87C boot and window bug during comp and on second board it was -135C boot no problem

just plain weird

that mod doesnt do much aside from increasing cold boot to -100C or so but not always from what we've tried
    i've been luck with GB boards i guess cause i always get really good results with them....with best temps of all boards including Biostar which everyone reckons gives good temps
    Last edited by dinos22; 10-01-2008 at 09:52 PM.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Gigabyte Champion USA
    I figured it was the board. Just seemed so odd that the temp limit on so many different 8600s was +/- 1-2C in mine. You should've asked if you could buy that one that was -135C, I would have

I might give that pin mod a shot anyway, just to be sure, but it will probably be at least a week or 2 before I can think about it.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedevo View Post
    I figured it was the board. Just seemed so odd that the temp limit on so many different 8600s was +/- 1-2C in mine. You should've asked if you could buy that one that was -135C, I would have

I might give that pin mod a shot anyway, just to be sure, but it will probably be at least a week or 2 before I can think about it.
    hehehe that's the same board that could not go past 340Mhz FSB on a quad

you sure you want that sucker
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Gigabyte Champion USA
    LOL, I forgot about that, that sucked One or the other, but not both I like my FSB and the cold limit isn't that bad, so I'll live it with

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12