Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte EP45T-Extreme 14K+ across the board

Gigabyte Champion USA

Gigabyte EP45T-Extreme 14K+ across the board

I posted a bit of a teaser last week and promised the details after the GOOC, so here they are...

EP45T-Extreme
    F3 Final BIOS
    2x1GB Crucial Ballistix 1600s
    1.80Vmch (wish they would increase the BIOS option to 1.90-1.95V)

LN2 on the proc, WC on the NB for everything including the CPU-Z. Obviously I was going for FSB and not CPU clocks on the validation. It went to 700 so easily, I tried straight to 710, but it didn't like that and I never went back to try 701-705 since it cracked 700 already.

I can keep PL=8 up to ~670FSB IIRC. I am hoping with LN2 on the NB, I can keep PL=8 and bench b/w @ 700FSB (or at least 700FSB period). I didn't do anything with primaries because it's a bit harsh at this level...just enough on secondaries to get 14K+ across the board, but there is some room for improvement and I have some new sticks to try too

Just for the record, these are all on the same boot/one Everest opening, just had to screen individually because it's the trial version

Xtreme Legend
    fantastic work

can you give heads up on settings you used. Also it would be nice if you could show max stable 3D clocks with '01 or '03/05

try dual GFX cards and see if you can still maintain the clocks
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Gigabyte Champion USA
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    fantastic work

can you give heads up on settings you used. Also it would be nice if you could show max stable 3D clocks with '01 or '03/05

try dual GFX cards and see if you can still maintain the clocks
    I am going by memory here, so take these with a grain of salt. The next time that chip is in on LN2, I will double-check. For the most part, I have 2 8600s and run basically the same settings with roughly the same results.

- Vc as needed (sometimes more than needed )
    - 700/700 on the drives
    - 100-300ps CPU
    - 0-150ps MCH (can't be more than 150ps diff between CPU/MCH)
    - Perf Enhancement: try them all, 1 will work better than the other 2 and which one seems to change by BIOS and/or CPU/PCIe drives if you change them.
    - PLL/VTT = 1.56/1.80
    - MCH voltage = 1.80V, but IIRC, it doesn't gain much/anything over 1.68-1.70V and on some BIOSes, too much is just as unstable as too little
    - Vddr = 2.14

All "advanced" mem timings are AUTO and no set skews. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, so if you need anything else specific, just ask

Does 3Ds with CF @ 620-640FSB with CPU and NB on WC only and lower multis. The 10x multi is a real pain though. Even with LN2, so far 620-625FSB is about the limit on 10x for 3Ds...haven't tried 9-9.5x, but I guess I could. I just put up a couple 6.1-6.2GHz 3Ds on hwbot (all CF) and I should have a couple more of them at 6.2GHz on my bench HDD as soon as I unpack the rest of the rig and hook it back up

Both procs have the exact same cold bug (-110C loaded/-107C unloaded) and both have the exact same FSB limit on 10x (~630), CF or not, even 1:1 or not. I am really not sure if they just are identical like that, if I am missing some setting that is causing that wall or if it has something to do with the mobo itself (at least as far as the identical cold bugs for all the 8600s I've tried in it). It would be nice if someone would post the anti-cold bug mod so I could run these things cold

All of the following benches:

CPU Cooling: NexXxos XP waterblock
    NB Cooling: Swiftech MCW-30
    Loop: MCP-350 pump, BIP2 rad with 2x ~35CFM case fans on it
    Ambient temp: ~78F
    Vid cards: 4850 CF

I also find it a bit odd that it won't finish 3D05 at least at the same FSB/settings as 3D03, but ATM, it definitely needs to be less...might need to reinstall it

Xtreme Legend
    those volts make a lot of sense
    from what i've seen with 45nm chips it's really good to keep both VTT and VNB very close to maximise stability

I've been playing with both DDR2 and DDR3 boards. i've been using about ~1.4VTT and 1.55VNB on the DDR2 board to bench 640MHz 8M SuperPi >> had some issues with GTX280 past 620MHz FSB which was good for 3D .......

i haven't been able to do the same on this DDR3 board but this is certainly a lot of extremely useful info to try out i've tried up to 1.66vTT and 1.7VNB but it yielded no better results even on LN2.......but i think i am just not hitting the right mix on the DDR3 board just yet

however doing PL8 at such high FSB is not possible with the volts i was trying...particularly vNB so it's good to see you've been getting similar results that Jody(3oh6) has been doing in terms of supertight PLL and high VNB volts

supernice tweaking man supernice
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Mentor
    That's very impressive bandwidth and some nice times & 3D scores. Good work. Someone with a board should work out the vMCH mod so you can really get aggressive, the P5Q-Deluxe and Maximus II Formula have 2v+ settable from bios, 1.8v max is comparatively low especially for a DDR3 board.
    Last edited by CryptiK; 09-28-2008 at 06:21 AM.
    Ci7 990X::Rampage III Extreme::12GB Corsair Dominator 1866C7GT::2 x EVGA SC Titans in SLI::Corsair AX1200::TJ07::Watercooled
    Ci7 920 3849B018::Rampage II Extreme::6GB GSKILL Trident 2000C9 BBSE::EVGA GTX580::Antec Signature SG850::TJ09::Aircooled w/TRUE 120X

Champion
    really nice work boostedevo but why you still use F3 bios? you can't reach this brandwith or fsb with F4x bios?

btw, im also improving, my max fsb on air also over 600+ now with crappy E8400 647.51 MHz
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreYang View Post
    I think mine is better.

Xtreme Addict
    That's pretty good on air,still think the board can do more

Xtreme Enthusiast
    are kidding ??/ 14k is awesome men .. i am still working on 11k stable without luck , congrats .
    2600K working in 4.8 GHZ so far

2600k @(4600 Ghz) 1.42v : (under water)
    Asus B2 mobo
    4 GiG DDR 2400 MHZ
    GTX 570 @ 1.063v ( 910/1820/2001 Mhz) .(under water).
    1020 W PSU

Hobie's : Overclocking .... Overclocking .... Overclocking

Gigabyte Champion USA
    those volts make a lot of sense
    from what i've seen with 45nm chips it's really good to keep both VTT and VNB very close to maximise stability

I've been playing with both DDR2 and DDR3 boards. i've been using about ~1.4VTT and 1.55VNB on the DDR2 board to bench 640MHz 8M SuperPi >> had some issues with GTX280 past 620MHz FSB which was good for 3D .......

i haven't been able to do the same on this DDR3 board but this is certainly a lot of extremely useful info to try out i've tried up to 1.66vTT and 1.7VNB but it yielded no better results even on LN2.......but i think i am just not hitting the right mix on the DDR3 board just yet

however doing PL8 at such high FSB is not possible with the volts i was trying...particularly vNB so it's good to see you've been getting similar results that Jody(3oh6) has been doing in terms of supertight PLL and high VNB volts

supernice tweaking man supernice
    A lot of times I leave VTT/PLL on AUTO. I have played with them lower (1.40-1.44 and 1.60) with decent results, but nothing seems to be quite as good as the high values for duals. I've tried up to 1.66 VTT also, but it actually seemed a lot worse any higher than 1.58, so I stopped messing with it that high I even tried it on F4b with manually playing with the available GTLs and didn't get very far.

The board actually goes pretty high on FSB even with only 1.50 or 1.60 Vmch, the difference with anything higher than that seems to be just how high it will be "benchable" FSB

Quote Originally Posted by CryptiK View Post
    That's very impressive bandwidth and some nice times & 3D scores. Good work. Someone with a board should work out the vMCH mod so you can really get aggressive, the P5Q-Deluxe and Maximus II Formula have 2v+ settable from bios, 1.8v max is comparatively low especially for a DDR3 board.
    I've dug around on the board for an MCH mod and even PMed Hicookie after I didn't have much luck (no response). I've found a couple of hits from the NB chokes, but my DMM leads are so big (or the SMTs/legs are so small), that it's almost impossible for me to hit just one at a time LOL. I don't want to take any chances on a guess, so I'll defer on a MCH vmod til someone confirms one

Yeah, I've asked a couple times if MCH voltage options could be raised in a BIOS update. 1.80V is definitely not "extreme", especially when comparing the other voltage max options that are available. I don't know if I'd run >2.00V to the NB, but would definitely do 1.90-1.95V if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Achill3uS View Post
    really nice work boostedevo but why you still use F3 bios? you can't reach this brandwith or fsb with F4x bios?

btw, im also improving, my max fsb on air also over 600+ now with crappy E8400 647.51 MHz
    That was before the F4b was out. After I installed F4b, I pretty much only played with the quad on it for the GOOC. I will definitely give the latest F4 a shot ASAP.

The 8600 that I used for the above Everest boots from BIOS to the desktop @ 660FSB with WC proc and NB in this board. You have some nice FSB on a C0 Get some WCing going or run a duct from your air conditioning vent

Quote Originally Posted by makaka View Post
    are kidding ??/ 14k is awesome men .. i am still working on 11k stable without luck , congrats .
    Thanks. I think I can crack 15K in Write with 700FSB, but the others probably don't stand a chance. I'll keep trying though

Xtreme Mentor
    Hope you can sort out a MCH mod at least with it done you know its not the MCH holding you back.

With DDR3 and reasonable FSB 11K should be relatively simple to get, I can do 11K stable across the board with my Maximus II Formula and DDR2.
    Ci7 990X::Rampage III Extreme::12GB Corsair Dominator 1866C7GT::2 x EVGA SC Titans in SLI::Corsair AX1200::TJ07::Watercooled
    Ci7 920 3849B018::Rampage II Extreme::6GB GSKILL Trident 2000C9 BBSE::EVGA GTX580::Antec Signature SG850::TJ09::Aircooled w/TRUE 120X

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedevo View Post
    A lot of times I leave VTT/PLL on AUTO. I have played with them lower (1.40-1.44 and 1.60) with decent results, but nothing seems to be quite as good as the high values for duals. I've tried up to 1.66 VTT also, but it actually seemed a lot worse any higher than 1.58, so I stopped messing with it that high I even tried it on F4b with manually playing with the available GTLs and didn't get very far.

The board actually goes pretty high on FSB even with only 1.50 or 1.60 Vmch, the difference with anything higher than that seems to be just how high it will be "benchable" FSB
    yeah man good to see that work for you
    unfortunately it's different for most boards but at least ppl get an idea

i'll see if i can grab hicookie on msn when he finally surfaces

hope you guys are staying indoors with that typhoon battering the place left right and centre
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Gigabyte Champion USA
    If you can get in touch with him dino, tell him we need that mod BAD G H Z and I left on Sat. afternoon. We must've made it out just in time because people with flights after ours were stuck. The weather was already pretty nasty when we took off, so I am glad we got out when we did

I am not really liking the new F4f BIOS...over 600FSB, 1:1 400 strap is all that works For some reason it doesn't boot over 620FSB either, but clocks all the way up to 670 (all WC) after it hits the desktop. F3 would boot at 660 with 3:4 and clock up. Not very different for max FSB, but better mem ratio and saved a lot of clicking on SetFSB. Maybe I just haven't found the right combo yet, but it seems to be much better suited for 500-550FSB range.

One weird thing I noticed on F4f too (unless I managed to hurt something) was that with both sticks in channel A slots, POST message said "Memory runs Single Channel" Popped them back in B and all is well

Team ID - Indonesia
    Really nice and fast b/w there Ross....Will tune mine next week after long holiday. Thanks for the guide anyway

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CryptiK View Post
    Hope you can sort out a MCH mod at least with it done you know its not the MCH holding you back.

With DDR3 and reasonable FSB 11K should be relatively simple to get, I can do 11K stable across the board with my Maximus II Formula and DDR2.
    lucky u , my motherboard refuse to do 550+on the memory
    2600K working in 4.8 GHZ so far

2600k @(4600 Ghz) 1.42v : (under water)
    Asus B2 mobo
    4 GiG DDR 2400 MHZ
    GTX 570 @ 1.063v ( 910/1820/2001 Mhz) .(under water).
    1020 W PSU

Hobie's : Overclocking .... Overclocking .... Overclocking

Gigabyte Champion USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Lodewijk View Post
    Really nice and fast b/w there Ross....Will tune mine next week after long holiday. Thanks for the guide anyway
    Hey Benny, nice meeting you and thanks for sticking in there with us for all our unscreened WRs LOL I feel like a break too, but I think I am still wired from the trip so I am going to mod these cards and get some real 3Ds done this week

lucky u , my motherboard refuse to do 550+on the memory
    Try a different strap/ratio/performance enhance/CAS? That seems really weird. On the F4 BIOSes, really fast mem @ 550FSB or less is pretty easy, might want to give one a try

Xtreme Legend
    lol some of the bioses can be just plain weird

i will have to flash back i think because i am in a need of FSB badly and F4b just won't do it for me

i don't think anyone goes to work in TW when typhoon hits so it will be a few extra days before everyone crawls out of their holes over there and goes outsite heheh
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Legend
    oh
    i asked hicookie to knock up a vNB mod for us
    so he'll do that i think in the next few days
    when i get it i'll post it up here
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme X.I.P.
    very nice man! congrats

Gigabyte Champion USA
    oh
    i asked hicookie to knock up a vNB mod for us
    so he'll do that i think in the next few days
    when i get it i'll post it up here
    NICE! I have my iron plugged in and waiting If you're talking BIOS for dual core, F3e or F3 Final seem to work best for me. Max FSB doesn't seem to vary much at all, but what mem will do >600FSB on the F4's that is putting me off. I can't get it run anything other than 1:1 over 600FSB on F4f, so don't waste your time....or figure out what I am doing wrong and report back

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    very nice man! congrats
    Thanks saaya! Awesome meeting you at the event

Xtreme Cruncher
    Great results. I neet to play with my boards NB cooling as I lost those damn mounting screws.

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedevo View Post
    NICE! I have my iron plugged in and waiting If you're talking BIOS for dual core, F3e or F3 Final seem to work best for me. Max FSB doesn't seem to vary much at all, but what mem will do >600FSB on the F4's that is putting me off. I can't get it run anything other than 1:1 over 600FSB on F4f, so don't waste your time....or figure out what I am doing wrong and report back

Thanks saaya! Awesome meeting you at the event
    i think Bala must have figured something out cause he's getting fairly decent results with F4f

http://ocxtreme.org/forumenus/showthread.php?t=3958
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Gigabyte Champion USA
    i think Bala must have figured something out cause he's getting fairly decent results with F4f

http://ocxtreme.org/forumenus/showthread.php?t=3958
    It might have something to do with that low CAS he's using for 3:4. I've never used 8 and only used 7 for >650FSB.

It think these (and all P45 boards) repsond a lot to different mem too. With my Ballistix in, it will boot to desktop at ridiculously high FSB (660) and with the C7Ds, nothing over 620 (F3 BIOSes). F4 BIOSes, both sets are 620 or less. Makes me think they changed the way secondaries or PL are calculated or something (PL seems to boot tighter on the C7Ds)

I still like F3 for dual core though. I think Freestyle finally broke this board in I did this last night, WC CPU/NB, 4850 CF (stock). Check out that FSB and PL

Admin
    Awesome job Ross, you've extracted stellar performance from this board.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Do your two chips cold-bug at the same temperatures on other boards? Those are almost exactly what my E8600 bugs on my EP45T-Extreme and I haven't tested it on LN2 on any other board. -107C at idle and -111C under load. Unfortunately my EP45T-Extreme has issues booting with low MCH volts now, needs 1.45v to boot dual-channel

Gigabyte Champion USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    Awesome job Ross, you've extracted stellar performance from this board.
    Thanks Gautam...now if I could get it to run with 10x like this

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Do your two chips cold-bug at the same temperatures on other boards? Those are almost exactly what my E8600 bugs on my EP45T-Extreme and I haven't tested it on LN2 on any other board. -107C at idle and -111C under load. Unfortunately my EP45T-Extreme has issues booting with low MCH volts now, needs 1.45v to boot dual-channel
    I honestly don't know Chris. I ran an 8600 in the P5Q3 once, but I was still on DI then, so I'm in the same situation there. Weird that you have the exact same CB in the same board. I should probably send one of these to G H Z or Gautam to try in an RE or something and see what happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast