Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia CEO says Intel's Atom could hurt the hardware and software industries

Xtreme Mentor

Nvidia CEO says Intel's Atom could hurt the hardware and software industries

Santa Clara (CA) - Yesterday, LaptopMag.com's Mark Spoonauer sat down with Nvidia CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang, who had some very outspoken things to say about Intel's Atom processor, including "Atom could potentially hurt the software industry."

The interview is a fairly lengthy read, but here are some key points. We've highlighted portions in bold to make them stand out. The original article reads without such emphasis:
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41252/113/

Quote Originally Posted by onethreehill View Post
    Jen-Hsun Huang, who had some very outspoken things to say about Intel
    Well what's new?
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Member
    From the article.

So what's wrong with today's netbooks?"

Jen-Hsun Huang replied: "The Atom platform is creating an installed base that doesn't run modern applications. It doesn't run anything well from Electronic Arts, it doesn't run anything well from Adobe, it doesn't run anything well from Microsoft. I just mentioned the top software companies in the world. So in a way, the Atom platform is creating an installed base of PCs that's going to eventually hurt the PC software industry.

"I think we all have to be very thoughtful about the proliferation of PCs that are inferior to what people think a PC should be, yet still is a PC."
    Talk about protecting your own.

I could go into a huge post about the vast increase in bloatware but all I will say is this-

Why would any hardware manufacturer especially in the current climate want software to be written that requires less resources to run than its predecessors?
    Hiper HPU-4M880, Q6600@3.6Ghz 1.5V, Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB OCZ Dominator PC8500, [COLOR="Blue"]XFX 6950Watercooled

Xtreme Cruncher
    Poor nVidia...not invited to the party.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Guru
    It doesn't run anything well from Electronic Arts,
    Does ANYTHING out there run EA games properly?

Xtreme Addict
    Slower the hardware the better. No use for tons of software layers just to print and scroll some text. Heck, half a MHz machine can do it in a split of a second, but Firefox text lags with 1.6 GHz SC Celeron M.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by next_ghost
    I think the message should be translated as “Atom is baaaaaaad because bloatware is slow on it.” And that’s good because bloatware companies needed a thwack with clue-by-four for a long time to stop adding more bloat and focus on pure functionality.
    That is pretty much it.

Xtreme Member
    I think the point he is trying to get across is that netbooks are not good for, *gasp*, gaming! Whodathunkit?

Netbooks are netbooks, people who use them just want to browse the web and type up documents. If you're looking for a small, but more powerful portable solution, then you're obviously going to be looking at 10 to 13 inch notebooks with much more appropriate hardware in them. And if you guys think software companies are going to start optimizing their apps for netbooks, think again. They'll just wait until Atom is good enough to run them. Microsoft Office runs well enough, but any major productivity apps (such as Illustrator) will still need the proper resources to perform simple tasks. It isn't worth the cost and effort to expand software like that into a small market like this. The software would cost more than the hardware!

Workstation: D5400XS Skulltrail : 2x Xeon E5420 Quads @ 2.58GHz + 8GB FB-DIMM DDR2-800
    Rocketfish (LL) case painted black // OCZ EliteXStream 800W
    2x VisionTek HD 4850 in CrossFire (I want 8800 Ultras in SLI) --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
    HTPC: E1200 @ 2.8 + 610i + 2GB DDR2-800 + 8600GT + Silverstone Kublai KL02
    Router (in progress): Intel Atom 230 + Intel PRO/1000 GT + GS108T gigE switch + WRT54GL + a drawer

Xtreme Member
    Damn I was totally going to build a render farm with EEEs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveprime View Post
    Damn I was totally going to build a render farm with EEEs
    haha i looked into it actually, when you can get 10 dual core atoms for the price of a single quad core i7 you'd think it'd be half viable
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket
    Erm, its a little weird how a lot of peeps dont have a case for their PC.....essentially thats a cheat because in a case things always run hotter, yet ppl will claim their OC "stable"

Sorry, in my book nothing is valid unless its in a case, and hence, a "normal" environment, by all means go nuts on cooling not a problem, but an open top setup with an OC ppl claim to be stable when in all reality inside a PC it probably won't be? Thats just unacceptable to me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    most people don't try to run games or adobe photoshop or hyper-v on a netbook.

though i wouldn't be surprised if bf2 was quite playable at low settings on an atom + 9400m
    i used to play it on an athlon xp + 6600gt

Xtreme Addict
    Atom will be dual soon and probably quad core in the near future, if anything it might get software companies to stop having lazy coders and design their software to be more multi threaded instead of relying on 1 really fast core.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

I am Xtreme
    LoL PopCap games work perfect...let's be realistic here...most users of netbooks(and I know of 6 poeple now with them) are female, and want a cute little electric daytimer that has internet access.

what a load of bull.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar View Post
    Atom will be dual soon and probably quad core in the near future, if anything it might get software companies to stop having lazy coders and design their software to be more multi threaded instead of relying on 1 really fast core.
    Atom is already dualcore.

Xtreme Addict
    u mean hurt via and Nvidia
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    Curiously, he didn't say bad things about AMD. And the interviewer got him very well cornered with that XboX 720 question.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Atom is already dualcore.
    But not in netbooks. I built my mom an Atom 330 machine and she uses it no problem for a 24/7 computer.

Xtreme Addict
    nVidia: Wahhhhh

ATI: giggle
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

I don't see what the big deal is, I've been witout my main rig for 3 weeks while ive been outa town and tweaking it right. All I have had is my Acer One with the 270 Atom, and of course it doesnt game (I'll jump on warIII and civIII and aoe2 periodically if totally bored), but anyone with half a brain will not buy a netbook for gaming. I bought it for three reasons:
    1. Super portable (2.5 bls with 6 cell)
    2. Super Battery life (5.5 hours on windows 7, 3 - 4 playing games, or movies, or music)
    3. Super Cheap ($450 fully loaded)
    Minus gaming and crazy apps it runs everything top notch (I regularly use photochop on it, and the only issue I have is the 1024x600 res bleh). While definately not my desktop, a netbook with an atom is the perfect compliment to said desktop.
    I think nvidia needs to just do their own thing and stop crying about intel. They both make great products that half of us would die without.
    I know I would.
    Proc:
    Intel Haswell i7 4770k
    Mobo:
    MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
    Ram:
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133
    GFX:
    MSI R9 290
    HDD:
    128GB SSD 8TB HDD
    Cooling:
    Corsair H80i
    Case:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...1&d=1233609436

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    But not in netbooks. I built my mom an Atom 330 machine and she uses it no problem for a 24/7 computer.
    This I really like. I wish more people did like you. because it does everything normal (non gaming) people need.

And I hope OEMs like Dell, HP, Lenovo etc will start to make office PCs with this. Office applications and Vista/Windows 7 works very fine and fast with Atom(Specially dualcore).

Alot of power to be saved on air conditioning and PCs in the office. Plus a much better office climate and less noice.

Xtreme Mentor
    Its hurting the industry in a way that consumers will recognize that every thing they ever did on their PCs would still work just as well on their crusty old Pentium 3 systems if they would sell them with Windows 7 and package them with 22" monitors...
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

I am Xtreme
    The netbooks are just to get more people on the internet that don't have computer already. It's like webtv but more useful. People will buy better PC when they need a better one. Nvidia needs to work on better graphics cards.. and if they want to tap into the netbook market they could make USB based graphics boosters.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    This I really like. I wish more people did like you. because it does everything normal (non gaming) people need.
    Yeah. I just love those who buy i7-machines and mainly use their rigs to surf the web Guess energy is still too cheap, even in germany
    Everyone in my family uses a notebook for his/her everyday tasks. I'm the only one that still owns a PC, which I only turn on for gaming (what happens very seldom these days).

Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Office applications and Vista/Windows 7 works very fine and fast with Atom(Specially dualcore).
    Really?! All I heard was that Vista is a pain in the ass with Atom. I'd rather take a mobile Core 2 instead.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Really?! All I heard was that Vista is a pain in the ass with Atom. I'd rather take a mobile Core 2 instead.
    You need to learn to take whatever Shintai says about Intel products with a grain of salt Atom with 4GB of memory would handle most of Vista fine as most of the time the CPU is idling in an OS.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Yeah. I just love those who buy i7-machines and mainly use their rigs to surf the web Guess energy is still too cheap, even in germany
    Everyone in my family uses a notebook for his/her everyday tasks. I'm the only one that still owns a PC, which I only turn on for gaming (what happens very seldom these days).

You cant feel the diffrence between a Core2/X2 and an Atom with HT on using Vista. Atleast thats my personal experience.

I had originally planned to use a Core i3 for HTPC with Windows 7. Now It gonna be a dualcore Atom 2 it seems.

Also the i5 I will buy later this year will set new records for me in lifespan I think. Unless I upgrade to a 32nm just to save more power. Or perhaps something with a potent "IGP" to save both power and space.

But simply imagine all the waste in both resources and power that can be saved by using something like Atoms in all the non gaming and non CPU intensive machines.

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    You need to learn to take whatever Shintai says about Intel products with a grain of salt Atom with 4GB of memory would handle most of Vista fine as most of the time the CPU is idling in an OS.
    Thats not true. Vista is very CPU light like any OS. Its only memory and possible I/O they demand more of.
    Last edited by Shintai; 01-30-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast