Thread: I need ideas/input on a good backgroud/backdrop.

Xtreme Addict

I need ideas/input on a good backgroud/backdrop.

In my quest to take better pictures of computer parts and cases I would like to improve in the overall appearance of the picture. I would really like a good size backdrop that I can use that will compliment the cases effectively.

Anyone have any experience with these? I would like something high quality. I can use a sheet, but all I have is off-white ones. I don't mind paying a little money for one as long it's good.

Any ideas?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've used printer paper + desk lamp setups with success before, but I doubt it'd be sufficient for a computer case.

I've seen worklogs with off-white sheets as backdrops, and I didn't think anything was wrong with them, but maybe you can try it to see how well it works for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Started life as a FTW and ended up as a WTF.

Xtreme Member
    Open room + white sheet(s). Natural light would be hugely beneficial.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Are you trying to do high key?
    You can pull off high key with pretty much any color backdrop.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] 2long4u View Post
    Are you trying to do high key?
    You can pull off high key with pretty much any color backdrop.
    Wow, I've never even heard of high key, but it looks really interesting. How is that done?

I was originally thinking of something like the backdrop in this picture below. Are these normally paper or cloth? Where do people normally buy this stuff from?

I know, lots of questions, but since I have the time I might as well get it right.

Thanks

Xtreme Cruncher
    Most of the time the backdrop is muslin. I think http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ has backdrops.
    This is high key.

This is low key.
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    High key is done by overexposing the background until it turns white. To do it you can use brighter lights for the background and light your subject with a less intense light.

Here is a little thing I found on the tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wspRkhtb48o

You could also build a white box. Just get a big cardboard box that the computer will fit inside and paint the inside white.
    Last edited by [XC] 2long4u; 09-26-2008 at 06:15 PM.
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the tube like very informative.