Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOLVED: EK FC on HD4870 X2 no POST

Xtreme Cruncher

Exclamation SOLVED: EK FC on HD4870 X2 no POST

Hey guys I have researched the issue a bit and found that apparently the EK FC GPU waterblock can cause the HD4870 X2 to not start up...something about the M3 x 6mm screws needing nonmetallic washers to avoid some sort of short circuit.

The problem is I used washers as instructed and still got nothing.

Has anybody else had this problem mounting an EK FC to an HD4870 X2?

I've tried everything I can think of and before I return the lovely blocks I thought I would see what others have done to work around this.

Thanks.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1343401
    Here's a thread with that issue

http://www.overclock.net/ati/388361-...functions.html
    And yet another thread this one by an experienced LC modder with the same issue

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/downloa...stallation.pdf
    The EK PDF that mentions using the washers

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/produc...roducts_id=303
    And a mention of the issue on the EK site.

It's driving me mad since this is for a client and I am supposed to know what I am doing

I have mounted nearly identical blocks on my HD3870 X2s without issue...so I know the routine..or thought I did. What amazes me is that EK would even have a problem like this with their gear.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by CyberDruid; 09-25-2008 at 09:36 AM.
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Xtreme Enthusiast
    oh dont say that....I just received mine today and I am currently running my leak test - will probably try and boot it up later tonight. Will let you know if I had any problems. I also just used the stock paper washers.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Did yours ship with washers?

My blocks did not

And thanks it would be nice to know.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the make of the card. I thought ATI made all of them anyway.
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah mine came with a set of washers.

mine is made by HIS if that helps - I think you are right about ATI making them all reference at the moment.

I just got to resist the urge to shorten my leak test....will keep you updated CD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    update

It appears that mine is fine - I have booted straight in. however one thing I forgot to mention is that I did not fit one screw on the back. this was due to the washer being to big for the spot it was supposed to go and rather than attach the screw without the washer I just left it off....

the screw in question is the one just to the left of the right backplate - you can see it pretty well here.

did you put all screws in CD?
    Last edited by Dangals; 09-25-2008 at 03:30 AM. Reason: seems I cant spell back plate

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hi CyberDruid,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have the EK block with a card from Sapphire and no problems (I didnt receive any paper washers and havent used any). I did do a remount after I read about this problem a week ago but it works fine.
    I know you would have checked but the screws really flex this board even when hand tightening (this is my first FC so new to me) I made sure that the screws were only as tight as they could be without bending the card. I did notice that the card bent a fair bit by screwing in the screw under the back RAM sinks could this be it?

I used MX5 on all the RAM and placed the thermal pad on all components that looked like they might need it.

Hope this helps or you sort it out.

emu

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for making this thread CD, I'm trying to help Syrillian sort this issue out as well. I'll update if we can find a fix.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks a lot guys. I will try again. Maybe I just tightened it too much maybe it's shorting the PCB...maybe I shoulda got DANGER DEN like Naekuh sugested...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. I will try again. Maybe I just tightened it too much maybe it's shorting the PCB...maybe I shoulda got DANGER DEN like Naekuh sugested...
    Yea, the DD block looks like crud to me, but I haven't heard of any shorting out stories like this. Functionality and usability > bling.

Xtreme Cruncher
    For real. This may make me a very vocal OPPONENT of EK FC blocks.

From my POV this is a trend among LC MFRs to sell stuff that may have issues. IMO if a MFR finds there is even ONE issue reported the burden is on them to revise, recall, RMA. Not to keep selling stuff that creates problems.

These blocks go on cards that currently cost around $1100 a pair...more than some people's cars cost. SO I AM PISSED beyond belief that EK would let this continue selling these AFTER THEY KNEW.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
    Yeah I didnt tighten the screws very hard - give that a go and good luck CD - I hope you get them to work properly as personally I think they look a lot better than the DD ones.

Keep us posted

Xtreme Addict
    I just mounted my nickle block and the last two LEDs are red

anyone know the warning codes for those LEDs ??
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by iboomalot View Post
    I just mounted my nickle block and the last two LEDs are red

anyone know the warning codes for those LEDs ??
    sounds like you are having the same issue as CyberDruid where something is causing the block to short the card.

did you use the paper washers?

edit: I just dont understand how mine can work straight away yet so many are having problems....perhaps CyberDruid is right about EK dropping the ball.
    Last edited by Dangals; 09-25-2008 at 05:05 AM.

Sorry to hear your problems, this does seem like a design flaw as too many people are experiencing problems. My Koolance 4870X2 block installed perfectly with ZERO bending of the card unlike what I had happen with my EK 3870X2 block.

As you can see if you tighten all the screws, you will bend the crap out of the card.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Gir92 View Post
    Yea, the DD block looks like crud to me, but I haven't heard of any shorting out stories like this. Functionality and usability > bling.
    crud?

Sorry but the machining done on this DD block is better in quality then ANY EK i played with.

CD if possible can you use the stock backplate?

Dammit CD! I was trying to save ya from this.
    Your not the first, actually the 6th person i know that had this problem.

3 couldnt fix it, the other 3 could. Good luck bro, i'll ask my 3 friends that fixed it on how they did it. :\
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 09-25-2008 at 08:22 AM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRedRaider View Post
    Eddy has probably made revisions to the cards... The one's experiencing problems probably have the older revisions...

@NaeKuh.... That DD card is fugly though... I know it doesn't matter to you "Grinchvillans" though...
    it works tho.

Not 10% or 50% or even 80%. 100%!!! its gaurentee'd to work. And im 10000000000000000% sure CD isnt a noob installing the card.

that is a pwnage itself.

But R3, dont say i didnt tell ya so.

Oh also as you can see almost 0 warpage. CD, email debbie, and bug her for the nickle plated X2 block. Trust me on DD bro. Debbie is awesome, she's like michelle of swiftech to dangerden!
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 09-25-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What's wrong with Grinchvillans?

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    crud?

Sorry but the machining done on this DD block is better in quality then ANY EK i played with.
    I believe he meant to say that the aesthetic design does not much appeal to his taste.

How is it acceptable that a FC block BENDS the card? I mean honestly? The blocks are designed for a SINGLE card. Why can't they properly proportion standoffs, washers, whatever to make it a good fit?
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    I believe he meant to say that the aesthetic design does not much appeal to his taste.

How is it acceptable that a FC block BENDS the card? I mean honestly? The blocks are designed for a SINGLE card. Why can't they properly proportion standoffs, washers, whatever to make it a good fit?
    Yes, my apologies, I should have clarified that. I meant that IMO, the DD block does not look as good as the EK block. But as I also stated in my post, functionality and usability are more important than bling.

EDIT: And QFT to Michelle @ Swiftech, she's awesome. Sent me replacement backplate and screws for my MCW60 free of charge. Now THAT is customer service.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Gir92 View Post
    Yes, my apologies, I should have clarified that. I meant that IMO, the DD block does not look as good as the EK block. But as I also stated in my post, functionality and usability are more important than bling.

EDIT: And QFT to Michelle @ Swiftech, she's awesome. Sent me replacement backplate and screws for my MCW60 free of charge. Now THAT is customer service.
    ahhh..

okey, that is different.

to each his own on looks, but the machine quality is there, i back my reputation on XS on it.

Chasing After Diety
    well, knowing CD, and how he has more resources then i do, could easily get it plasma coated and not have to wait on debbie.

Xtreme Member
    Here is the original thread that had this problem in it and Eddy's response.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=198453&page=3
    (should be page 3)

Sorry to hear you are having problems, the block looks amazing and gives some good results.
    Intel I7 940 @4Ghz - water cooled
    Corsair Domitator 12800 12GB
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    HIS ATI HD 4870X2 - water cooled
    Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
    Enermax Galaxy 1000W
    3x Samsung F1 500GB HDD
    OCZ Vertex 120GB
    TJ07 Murdermod
    LG W3000H 30" Monitor
    Vista Home Premium x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks for all the support guys

I did what everyone told me to an used paper washers on all the M3 x 6mm cap screws and the cards work fine.

In reponse to the question about what the LEDs mean. It's easy to test. Unplug a power lead and watch and LED light. If you plug it back in it still stays lit. The on furthest from the Backplane indicates critical core fault the next one over the powerconnector furthest from the backplane the next LED form that (the middle of 5) Indicates the next power lead over is unpluugged. Not sure about the 4th one but the 5th one I belive indicates a high temp and throttling occurring.

I am still not real happy about the scenario. The blocks cost top dollar. If there is an issue the MFR should do more than post it on their site and alter their PDF. The blocks I received had no washers, no updated PDF...leaving me totally in the dark.

I've done this stuff before...so when things go wrong and I can't fix them I go berserk. Thanks again fro the info.

The blocks are providing excellent temps right now (mid 30C idle mid 40C load) and look fantastic.

Xtreme Member
    i also got this block but mine included paper washers (6 of them) i havent installed it yet but will probably do so today or tomorrow

ps: for all it matters i got the Copper, Acryllic top version
    Intel Q6600 @ 3.6GHz
    Asus Blitz Formula SE
    OCZ ReaperX PC6400 2x2GB
    Sapphire HD4870x2
    X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 & Logitech Z5500
    Samsung Spinpoint T166 500GB
    Samsung 226BW
    Zalman ZM1000-HP

Watercooling
    Loop 1: DDC3.2 (XSPC Restop), Fuzion v2, BIGTX360 (6x S-Flex F)
    Loop 2: DDC3.2 (XSPC Restop), EK 4870x2, TFC X360 (3x S-Flex F)
    Loop 3: to come

[DarthBeavis] "I am gonna try to mod one of these into my wife so can get an early warning of when she gets angry . . ."

Maybe you should contact EK and just tell them hey this stuff causes problems, fix it. The gaps on the mount holes do look pretty bad
    Shame to see that from EK, I expect better from them.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast