Page 4 of 110 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable Sleeving Guide

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
    Now how about those molex pins?

Do you have a DIY guide for those? Or should I just buy a tool?
    Ah - this one is a bit tricky. With the male molex connector you can do with things like pins, or even some tweezers...but the female ends you need a tool. So if you can pick up a tool that does both then you are laughing.

If anyone has a method to handle the pins on the female connector without the tool - please add it to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by moose517 View Post
    thanks this thread is exactly what i need, i am getting ready to build a new computer and want to sleeve everything, big undertaking for me
    Quote Originally Posted by slim142 View Post
    Dangals
    Im suscribed to this because this is the easiest guide I have seen, even better than most youtube videos! Congrats!

Thanks to you now I feel more confident on sleeving my fans!
    Thanks moose and slim for your kind words - good luck with your own sleeving quests

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    Nice guide Dangals, I myself use a lighter and wave it quickly past the heatshrink, although I only do this with black heatshrink as it'd turn the non-black heatshrink black

I also burn the ends of the braid too to keep them melted together so when I'm working on it, it doesn't fray (as the ends are joined together when melted a bit). Only a teeny bit though not alot. It also helps to pinch the heatshrink to make it oval/elongated to make it fit over the braid or cables, thats only useful if you've got real tight squeezes. Apologise if it's already been said though.

Thanks moogle - yes the lighter is a valid method for shrinking the heat shrink - however as mentioned for any type of shrink/sleeve that isnt black it becomes a bit of a problem....not to mention the increased chance of burnt fingers Still a valid method none the less - thanks for the input

This best de pinning tools i have found are the plastic ones.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1138 (aus)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by simwah View Post
    This best de pinning tools i have found are the plastic ones.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1138 (aus)
    Thanks mate - good to see you on here and

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangals View Post
    Thanks moogle - yes the lighter is a valid method for shrinking the heat shrink - however as mentioned for any type of shrink/sleeve that isnt black it becomes a bit of a problem....not to mention the increased chance of burnt fingers Still a valid method none the less - thanks for the input
    No problems

No burnt hands or fingers yet though, but if it did happen it's so cold in here it'd be a nice thing

Xtreme Member
    I cant get any of these methods to work on my 24 pin and Pci cables. I am using a silverstone 1200 watt strider modular power supply. I have tried the tool, staples and pins and nothing seems to work, I can see the pins pushing down the the wire gets wiggly but the pins just wont come out, please help!
    Whats up?

Xtreme Addict
    Pull a bit harder.
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Quote Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
    Pull a bit harder.
    +1.

Just make sure the pins/staples are in place or you'll just end up pulling the wire out of the clasp which sucks by the way.

Xtreme Member
    I just tried pulling and I was putting much more force on that wire than I would ever want, anyother suggestions?
    Whats up?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shoopdawoopa View Post
    I just tried pulling and I was putting much more force on that wire than I would ever want, anyother suggestions?
    When you are inserting the tool of choice into the plug can you ensure that the the arms of the tool go on the outside of the pin - once on the outside it needs to be forced in as far as it will go before the pin will come free. You shouldnt have to pull that hard - if you do it means you havent put your tool in far enough (no pun intended )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I was working away at attempting to sleeve some temp probes for my new build (1/8th inch sleeve and shrink) but at least at this time of night...I gave up for another day...its a HUGE PITA trying to slide the shrink over those wires...and its just 2 of them..i've got quarter inch coming in, but its a week or two out...any tips?
    Current System:
    eVGA 680i SLi "A2" P30 BIOS
    intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (currently at stock)
    OCZ ReaperX 4GB DDR2 1000 (running at DDR2 800 Speeds with cas4)
    320GB Seagate 7200.10
    XFX 8800GT XXX 512MB (stock clocks)
    auzentech X-Fi Prelude
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Copper
    Win XP Pro

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoonXX View Post
    I was working away at attempting to sleeve some temp probes for my new build (1/8th inch sleeve and shrink) but at least at this time of night...I gave up for another day...its a HUGE PITA trying to slide the shrink over those wires...and its just 2 of them..i've got quarter inch coming in, but its a week or two out...any tips?
    Best tip I can give with doing more than one cable is slide one through and then the other rather than trying to squeeze both through at the same time. Thats what I did for things like fan cables etc. Hope that helps

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah, no real choice without actually seperating the cables the entire length...I can get both through, but I spent half an hour trying to get the shrink over the sleeving...I'll probably just end up waiting for the quarter inch...
    Current System:
    320GB Seagate 7200.10
    auzentech X-Fi Prelude
    Win XP Pro

I'll probably just end up waiting for the quarter inch...
    Imho the better choice. Otherwise (if u try to squeeze both into one sleeve) it would be possible that u can see the colour of the cables through afterwards. And this is not what the sleeve was intended for.

At this point I have to send best regards to Dangals from the writer of the german "cable sleeving guide".
    Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Mr.Miyagi; 10-29-2008 at 03:36 AM.

MDPC
    Miyagi has landed! Welcome to XS

Hi Nils.
    Another forum, same party.

Xtreme Member
    Anyone know if cable sleeving can be bought by the metre ???

Xtreme Addict
    I wish, OCUK only sell 1 metre at a time but that is by the metre :P

Xtreme Member
    ChilledPC does it, by metre I think it is and if more it's one continuous length. Sleeving my DDCs as we post

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    ChilledPC does it, by metre I think it is and if more it's one continuous length. Sleeving my DDCs as we post
    Might give them a try.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Imho the better choice. Otherwise (if u try to squeeze both into one sleeve) it would be possible that u can see the colour of the cables through afterwards. And this is not what the sleeve was intended for.
    -snip-
    My sleeving is 1/8th inch, it's run nicely, and looks nice, I'm probably going to end up waiting for the 1/4th inch heatshrink I've got coming in

But I know that Performance PCs sells sleeving by the foot, the longer you buy, the cheaper per foot it becomes, unfortunately..the heatshrink doesnt get cheaper by the foot
    Current System:
    320GB Seagate 7200.10
    auzentech X-Fi Prelude
    Win XP Pro

Xtreme Member
    unfortunately..the heatshrink doesnt get cheaper by the foot
    Depends on where you buy it and how much you need. This place sells it by the foot or in 100 foot & 500 foot spools.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah, that's only 2:1 ratio...performance PCs sells 3:1 ratio
    Current System:
    320GB Seagate 7200.10
    auzentech X-Fi Prelude
    Win XP Pro

Engineering The Xtreme
    yeah but I find its really best to get 3:1 glue lined 1/4" over 1/8" 3:1 more secre and easier to work with.

a good source of round unfolded heatshrink that looks great is www.buyheatshrink.com

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've started to get a hang of sleeving these temp probes... slide sleeving on, cut to size, start slowly melting it so that there's still enough control to be able to form it close to the wiring, then slowly coax 1/8th over
    first temp probe was kinda less than stellar, ended up having a bubble in the sleeving, which left it so i ended up having slightly more sleeve than i needed, but second one looks pretty good in my...non pro opinion...and they're not goin ANYWHERE...but thanks for the tip on that place...still WAYYY more heatshrink than i'd probably ever use (for the non adhesive)
    Current System:
    320GB Seagate 7200.10
    auzentech X-Fi Prelude
    Win XP Pro

Xtreme Addict
    I completely forgot about adhesive heatshrink, it would works wonders on those pesky Chassis cables :P

Page 4 of 110 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast