Page 3 of 110 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable Sleeving Guide

MDPC
    Hehe Dogg
    Actually it is kind of tough to get the highest class sleeve in color. For me it would mean that I have to tell the guys in the manufacture to do 4 kilometers (yes kilometers) otherwise the boss will not move a finger. Until then I think we all have to live with Techflex Products where you need to put a tape of the same color as the colored-sleeving has over the cable first - to achieve a perfect look. This way the cable gets kind of stiff. Btw. my wrist hurts from sleeving - be warned

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by dualbrain View Post
    Hehe Dogg
    Actually it is kind of tough to get the highest class sleeve in color. For me it would mean that I have to tell the guys in the manufacture to do 4 kilometers (yes kilometers) otherwise the boss will not move a finger. Until then I think we all have to live with Techflex Products where you need to put a tape of the same color as the colored-sleeving has over the cable first - to achieve a perfect look. This way the cable gets kind of stiff. Btw. my wrist hurts from sleeving - be warned
    yeah well if this sleeve doesn't end up being so good I think I will have to settle for black and order a gods kit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Firstly thanks to all for their kind words and also adding your experiences to the thread - much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
    Dangals I finally tried this tonight (just an experiment, but I will soon be sleeving every cable possible in my rig!)

Now I truly appreciate your guide (and my wife's hairdryer )

My first crack at fan cable sleeving turned out perfect, while I learned that I need 1/8" sleeving for the PCIE plugs for my GPUs

Thanks again for turning something that looked so challenging into something that is actually pretty easy to do and makes a huge difference!
    Thanks for the kind words zlojack - You will love the final look once you are done. Also yes a heat gun is going to be easier to use on your heatshrink and I never said it wouldn't - however as this guide is all about showing people it can be done without it the hairdryer is the next best thing...but for those of use that will probably do this again....and again....the heatgun is a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong555 View Post
    @ "Dangals" Did you sleeve the SATA cables? if so, how did you remove the connector?
    If you mean the data cables - you cannot remove the connector on those. I am still working on a quick guide for those - just been so busy with other things at the moment. I promise that I will get it up as soon as I can.

If you are referring to the power cables - the connector comes off as per the guide on the first page here - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...66&postcount=2

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    I would have bought a god kit already... if only it came in white ...*cough*hint*cough*
    Amen to that! I can make my rig as black as the inside of a cave or any color of the rainbow (or a technicolor UV nightmare), but where's the love for the understated class of pure white?

Engineering The Xtreme
    so between me and spaz... we get 2 km of 1/8' sleeving each

I don't know about you folks, but I can't see a damn thing through the techflex cleancut I'm using.
    In one other large thread where people were raving over the sleeving I could clearly see yellow/red poking through.

Maybe I'm getting a better version than some of you have bought, I don't know. I'll be sure and post a few pictures, flash, lights, whatever for review in my worklog thingamajig.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogerB View Post
    I don't know about you folks, but I can't see a damn thing through the techflex cleancut I'm using.
    In one other large thread where people were raving over the sleeving I could clearly see yellow/red poking through.

Maybe I'm getting a better version than some of you have bought, I don't know. I'll be sure and post a few pictures, flash, lights, whatever for review in my worklog thingamajig.
    where did you buy from?

Xtreme Member
    so between me and spaz... we get 2 km of 1/8' sleeving each
    LOL. Too much of something I could actually use wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to me in the pursuit of a snowblind case interior. I've got a drawer half full of "white" 1" heatshrink. Problem is that the side the company DIDN'T SHOW in the catalog is covered in BIG BLACK LETTERS that are actually a part of the shrink rather than just printed on. No refunds, no returns, no credits, no nothing.

Moral #1: Always buy the smallest quantity you can get so you can see what you'll get before you make a big order.

Moral #2: Spend a little more to buy from the guys that have exchange and refund policies you can live with.

Anybody wanna buy some "mostly white" heatshrink?

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks "Dangals"

Nils you'll know, how do you sleeve the DATA SATA cables lol

where did you buy from?
    wirecare.com
    just got another shipment in today actually.
    I'm in a bit of a holding pattern on the casemods right now, so I'm not sure if I'll get to doing much this weekend.

I will try to get a picture though.

MDPC
    Quote Originally Posted by dingdong555 View Post
    Thanks "Dangals"

Nils you'll know, how do you sleeve the DATA SATA cables lol
    SATA Sleeving all depends on right material-diameters and then it is the easiest part to sleeve of all:
    1. Most important: Shrinksize just big enough to fit over the connector
    2. Shrinkrate 3:1 if it "just" fits over the connector (4:1 if you have a shrink that "flies" over the connector). This makes sure that the sleeving does not slip out of the shrink later on, no matter how much you pull, bend etc. Very important difference to 2:1-solutions!
    3. Right Sleeving:
    - too small ( ~ 1/4") = does not go over the connector
    - too big (> ~ 3/8") = makes the cable look lousy
    - slightly too big (3/8") = ok on straight and slightly curved cables BUT widens on tight curves
    - perfect (non-inch-based sleeving) = fits like a glove even at tightest corners
    4. Of course a tight weave (~ 3x3 weave) is needed so that you have a chance to prevent fraying
    5. When you have a sleeve that meets the criteria, you prevent fraying by melting the end of the sleeve a little. If it does not go over the connector then - you have to make the melted parts loose again ... just a little - try ... etc. Once its over the cable, put the two pieces of shrink over it - etc.

BoogerB: Cleancut has the tightest possible weave that a few other manufacturers offer too. To me a tight weave is the minimum a good sleeve needs to provide. Next comes diameter, shape, heat-behavior, material, shinyness and last but not least RoHs conformance (or how you say in English).

I might be an uber-perfectionist and not everyone will agree that this is necessary, so please forgive that I go so much into detail
    Last edited by dualbrain; 10-03-2008 at 02:06 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Excellent! Thanks!

Looks like I get the "perfect" sleeving as it'll be yours

You must also mean "Circumference" ?

Picked this up from bunnings in Australia for $49.

Xtreme Member
    Very nice, I like the staple trick. May have to look into that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. In regards to the staples, which I've never used so I can't comment on, I use sewing pens which work wonders. You don't have to worry about bending staples over and such, just take two sewing pins, which come in a pack of like a 100 for a couple bucks, shove them in the ends of your connectors and pull the wire out, it's that easy

Xtreme Addict
    I'm confused.

I ordered a sleeving kit from PPCs and the sleeving was really thin and see-through (I used the 1/8" to test sleeve a fan). So I ordered some 1/8" sleeving from Sidewinder to see what it's like and it's much bigger.

Now it could be that they made a mistake and sent me 1/4". What size do you guys use on the PCIE plugs? This 1/8" stuff sure seems like it would be too big.
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by dualbrain View Post
    Now that is a sleeve job!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    that cotton bud is amazing :P ROFL

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by GameGuru View Post
    I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. In regards to the staples, which I've never used so I can't comment on, I use sewing pens which work wonders. You don't have to worry about bending staples over and such, just take two sewing pins, which come in a pack of like a 100 for a couple bucks, shove them in the ends of your connectors and pull the wire out, it's that easy

This does work great, I use it myself. Haven't tried the staple thing yet, but looks interesting.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Mentor
    Dangals
    Im suscribed to this because this is the easiest guide I have seen, even better than most youtube videos! Congrats!

Thanks to you now I feel more confident on sleeving my fans!

Xtreme Member
    thanks this thread is exactly what i need, i am getting ready to build a new computer and want to sleeve everything, big undertaking for me

Xtreme Addict
    Now how about those molex pins?

Do you have a DIY guide for those? Or should I just buy a tool?
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Xtreme Mentor
    Hey guys I have a question

What heatshrink size should I use for PCI-Express and ATX 24 pin connectors? 1/8 or 1/4?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by slim142 View Post
    Hey guys I have a question

What heatshrink size should I use for PCI-Express and ATX 24 pin connectors? 1/8 or 1/4?
    for individual wires, 1/8

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post
    for individual wires, 1/8
    Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Nice guide Dangals, I myself use a lighter and wave it quickly past the heatshrink, although I only do this with black heatshrink as it'd turn the non-black heatshrink black

I also burn the ends of the braid too to keep them melted together so when I'm working on it, it doesn't fray (as the ends are joined together when melted a bit). Only a teeny bit though not alot. It also helps to pinch the heatshrink to make it oval/elongated to make it fit over the braid or cables, thats only useful if you've got real tight squeezes. Apologise if it's already been said though.

Page 3 of 110 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast