Page 22 of 110 FirstFirst ... 12192021222324253272 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable Sleeving Guide

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    No? That's what this entire thread is about!
    I see. So nothings wrong if uni-sleeve then

Quote Originally Posted by GregSG View Post
    I see. So nothings wrong if uni-sleeve then
    Nothing will be wrong IF YOU CONNECT all your wires correctly. If you haven't messed with this type of stuff much, I'd highly recommend you do one wire at a time ... that way you don't mess up where they go. You also have to make sure you reseat the pins correctly, and that they don't pull/push out when you connect to your components.

Would also recommend you get a PSU tester, just to verify everything looks good before you plug it in.

Not trying to scare you, but you can damage components or your PSU if you aren't careful.

I take the extra step of testing a newly sleeved PSU on my husband's computer before I plug it into my stuff (shhhhhh...don't tell him )

Xtreme Member
    Ok thanks!

Planning to do 1 wire at a time.

Will be doing for 2 PSUs
    -Antec Signature
    -Seasonic M12

Will probably try on the Seasonic first...lols

Quote Originally Posted by GregSG View Post
    Ok thanks!

Planning to do 1 wire at a time.

Will be doing for 2 PSUs
    -Antec Signature
    -Seasonic M12

Will probably try on the Seasonic first...lols
    Yeah I feel ya. I should break out the ole 500w OCZ from my last build before trying on my new psu.
    Last edited by EvilTulsan; 06-11-2009 at 09:54 PM.
    i7 920 D0 3849B203 @ 4.47ghz 1.35v HT/Turbo on, 71C max load, EVGA Classified, EVGA 285gtx FTW,
    Corsair 6gb Dominator GT 1866, Corsair 1000HX, Caviar Black Raid 0, Caviar Green Backup, Lian Li g70, Hanns-G 28"
    Watercooled with HK 3.0, PA 120.3, DDC + Petra top

View my PC!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw9ID...layer_embedded

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    @ CptDreadFlint ... fantastic job. How did you manage to get your heat shrink lengths so nice and even?
    [/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by pingpong1455 View Post
    i would like to know this as well (same psu)
    Thanks, Shazza! Based on your pics, you've done a great job in lining up the heatshrinks yourself.

@ Shazza & pingpong and all:

It took some trial and errors and there were some casualty heatshrinks along the way, but finally came up with a method. The following describes the adventures with the 3/8 sleeve. The measurements I'm using will obviously vary depending on what gauge sleeving you're using, however, the same principles apply.

Heatshrinks are all cut ahead of time. Mine are at 1 inch each. Having the heatshrinks precut makes the process a little easier.
    After cutting the correct length of the sleeving (also done ahead of time), line up the end of the SLEEVE at about 5mm to 7mm BELOW from where the actual naked wire ends. So a length of 5mm to 7mm wire will show off the top. Eyeballing it may be required since the wires inside the connectors may not all be uniform in length.

Grasp-Shrink-Move-Shrink dance step:
    While firmly grasping the sleeve in place relative to the wire, place the heatshrink 2mm ABOVE the the end of the naked wire. Away from the top part, hold all three tight enough that the heatshrink, the sleeve and the wire are held in place relative to each other.

Carefully heat, blowdry etc (away from fingers) to shrink the top part until it "catches". When the top shrinks, carefully move your hold away from the heatshrink while keeping all 3 players in place. Shrink the remaining heatshrink.

This 2mm leeway (length varies depending on size of heatshrink) should just be enough to perfectly line up with the top of the wire upon shrinking. Any more above the top, you may not be able to fit the pin back in the plug holes. Any less, the naked wires may show through.

From there its just a lather rinse repeat for the rest, using the previous sleeved wire as a reference.

What you'll be left with is a sleeving job I guarantee you'll be proud of. Post pics of your work, all! Savvy?

Last edited by CptDreadFlint; 06-11-2009 at 11:17 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now Playing

black freighter: i7 920 | evga classified | mm extended ascension pedestal | 2 x 300gb vraps
    dead men tell no tales build: q9770 | asus striker 2 extreme | 2x4gb ddr3 ocz reaper | 2 x gtx 280 oc2 | 2x 300gb vraps | mm ufo-cyo | pcp&c 1200W

Thanks, Cpt.

My end result came out okay, but I did have several redos ... I'm having a problem getting the end of the sleeving near the opening of the connector, but not too far ... as it seems I sometimes have a problem getting the pin in correctly. More practice today!!!

And one last question ... It looks like you sleeved your Corsair all the way to the entrance to the PSU ... did you actually open up the PSU, or were you able to get it looking that tidy with careful shrinking at that end?

Also ... I spy a new Classified build coming, that I'm sure is going to blow our socks off!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Thanks, Cpt.
    ...It looks like you sleeved your Corsair all the way to the entrance to the PSU ... did you actually open up the PSU, or were you able to get it looking that tidy with careful shrinking at that end?

Also ... I spy a new Classified build coming, that I'm sure is going to blow our socks off!
    No shots of the entrance of the PSU, but yes...I went the careful shrinking route and didin't perform open cover surgery. Still came out ...fairly decent.

And yes! A Classified is in the house! I'm way too excited to get started on it. So little time and not much rum er... I mean just waiting on a few parts. Still debating on which case to use. A stripped HAF sits lonely in one corner, MM AE w/ Ped sits in the other. Decisions. Anyway, I digress. Pardon!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now Playing

black freighter: i7 920 | evga classified | mm extended ascension pedestal | 2 x 300gb vraps
    dead men tell no tales build: q9770 | asus striker 2 extreme | 2x4gb ddr3 ocz reaper | 2 x gtx 280 oc2 | 2x 300gb vraps | mm ufo-cyo | pcp&c 1200W

With 8-pin ATX and 24-pin ATX extension cables, what do you use to remove the pins from the connectors? Using a pin removal tool, I was able to remove the pins from the male end of the cable, but I couldn't get anything out of the female side.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thinking about getting a 8pin and 24pin extension and sleeving those along with my fan wires and USB/audio front headers
    call me lazy, but I don't want to spend 8 hours doing the whole PSU and then having to redo my whole case
    I think my system is pretty clean already so why not just do the wires that show?

or maybe just sleeve the end of the cable like this

what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Ender17; 06-13-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Personally, If I was taking the time to uni-sleeve, I'd use extensions, that way, they're re-usable
    Current System:
    eVGA 680i SLi "A2" P30 BIOS
    intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (currently at stock)
    OCZ ReaperX 4GB DDR2 1000 (running at DDR2 800 Speeds with cas4)
    320GB Seagate 7200.10
    XFX 8800GT XXX 512MB (stock clocks)
    auzentech X-Fi Prelude
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Copper
    Win XP Pro

Xtreme Member
    I think i see an Intel SSD....kissing ur Corsair?

Lols.

Sleeving the extension would be so much easier

MDPC
    Welcome to the jungle!

Kinghong?

Banned
    dangals that looks good

Do you guys think i could get a special order from mountain mods? I am going to need red and blue accent sleeving with the black mm sleeving(the cheaper one, smaller one) in the summer?

MDPC
    KingHong?

Xtreme Member
    I think this thread started being so classy that it must be renamed into
    "Cable Sleeving Gallery"
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4.53 GHz 6C-12T / Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P / CORSAIR CMG6GX3M3A1866C7 / Ati Radeon Sapphire 5870 1GB DDR5 / CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GBG2D / LG CH08LS10 / Creative X-FI Titanium Fatality /Corsair CMPSU-850HXEU PSU (850W) / Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ07B Case / SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER P2350

Watercool HK CPU LGA1366 Rev. 3.0 LT / DD-CPX-Pro 12V Pump / Swiftech MCR320 360mm / EK-Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 - EK-ANTI-Cyclone / Scythe S-FLEX Fan SFF21G.

ENZOTECH SCW1 vs APOGEE GT

MDPC
    He just looks evil, but he is handsome!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeCosmosS View Post
    dangals that looks good

Do you guys think i could get a special order from mountain mods? I am going to need red and blue accent sleeving with the black mm sleeving(the cheaper one, smaller one) in the summer?
    Thanks mate - BTW this thread has nothing to do with Mountain Mods and whenever you see MM people are actually referring to Murder|Mod....just a heads up

Oh and nice pics Nils

Banned
    alright then ill make a thread on it then thx dangals

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Woo yellow!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do you hink you guys could list some of the places that you get the sleeving you are using? The good stuff seems to come from acoss the pond.

-Jsunn
    Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 4.00Ghz 1.3375(v) F9 BIOS
    2 X 2 GB DDR2 1100 @ 1000 G.Skill PC2-8800
    2 X 500gb GB SATA 2 HD RAID 0
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    EVGA GTX285 SSC
    EVGA 8800GTS G92 PhysX

My 3DMark Vantage Score 16,444

Pics of my computer

Xtreme Supporter
    Has anyone ever come across any colored mylar sleeving (besides the readily available silver and gold i.e.; http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...oducts_id=2135 )?

I am looking for red and blue chrome-like sleeving if possible for my first themed watercooled build..

MDPC
    No hellstorm, but the Mylar examples I have seen, did not look very classy and of course very-see-through..

Anyways: Here we go with banana flavor

Xtreme Enthusiast
    mm tasty

sweet
    If you got some more widescreen photographs ... then I won't be out of wallpapers anymore

Page 22 of 110 FirstFirst ... 12192021222324253272 ... LastLast