Page 104 of 110 FirstFirst ... 45494101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 2736

Thread: Cable Sleeving Guide

I don't understand how you can not use the 4 merged cables, how can it work without them? o_o

I am Xtreme
    they could have been used to just distribute more load, the thickness and quality of the wire determines how much energy they can let pass before overheating, and maybe those are there to just support some power spikes. all i know is everything works the same and since they merge (2 orange going out of the psu into one orange of the MB), i doubt theres any NEED for them. i did however clip them so i can see what colors they were, so if i ever have to replace them, i know where they connect too.

i actually owe you guys some sleeving pictures, did all but the PSU, cause ran out of sleeving, and i was more worried about things working rather than looking nice
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    all colors represent the same voltage, you should be safe plugging any wire into any port of the same color

(this however does not work if your PSU comes with only black cables 'points at corsair HX psu')

i just did my seasonic, and its kinda funny since i have 28 wires coming out of my PSU, and 24 going into the MB, with 4 being merged together (extra orange, red, black and yellow, all about half as thick), i ended up not using them and tested, everything worked fine, so i clipped them off
    I have a cosair HX but it does have the colored wires. It also has the 4 merged wires like u mentioned.

I sleeved the pcie power cables on it last night. It looks good, not as good as some I have seen on here, but certainly much better then it did. I had to move my sleeving and heat shrink back a little on the wire because try as I did, I could not get the wires back in the plug with the heat shrink that close to the end like I see in these posts.
    EVGA X58 Classified,
    Intel I7930 @ 3.8ghz
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5850
    6GB GSkill Trident 2000 - 9-9-9-21
    Corsair HX 750
    OCZ Vertex 100gb SSD
    2 X 1tb WD Black - Raid 0

Cooling: CPU - ThermoChill PA120.2 rad, D5 Pump, Swiftech Apogee-XT Extreme Block, Swiftech Micro Rev2 Reservoir; 2 Yate Loon Red LED Mediums 120mm

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by techtonicpc View Post
    I have a cosair HX but it does have the colored wires. It also has the 4 merged wires like u mentioned.
    interesting

my HX620 modular has black for all cables but the 24pin and 8pin for motherboard (both of those are not modular)

the extra 4 merged wires are from my seasonic, no idea if my corsair is the same, i can look at it later.

i also had problems with fitting, ill explain later when i get some pictures up.

I am Xtreme

sadly my cameraphone is the only one i have, so the colors are not quite what it looks like in person. the red is much darker, almost maroon colored because its wrapped around black wires, and the black sleeving is wrapped around yellow in most of those, also around red and orange wires on the sata cable. it has a very nice dark yellow earthy tone to it

i also ordered more so i can sleeve the 24pin this weekend

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikol@ View Post
    Crys1s & Xien16 great work

Some playing with Uv light.
    Is this the UV orange or UV yellow?

Xtreme Member
    That's pretty sweet, although I'm not sure I'd choose a fabric style sleeve over the ones I'm currently using.

There was one thing that really stood out on his website though: A molex pin remover that looks comfortable to use

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huww View Post
    That's pretty sweet, although I'm not sure I'd choose a fabric style sleeve over the ones I'm currently using.

There was one thing that really stood out on his website though: A molex pin remover that looks comfortable to use
    heheh yes it is , i have polyester sleeve too , but this is fabric sleeve is great too !, but you can admit that this fabric sleeve looks 100times better then regular mdpc-x and Djungelapa sleeve , btw djungelapa is the swedish dealer for sleeve, its just as good as mdpc-x and the quality is the same!

Yes it is, but every pinremover out there are bad! all brakes off, i made my own one

some beautiful thing i like to do with sleeve

this first braidtypen is that one that im going to use on my latest sleeveproject with the fabric sleeve

Xtreme Member
    It looks nice an all, but i prefer my mdpc. It has that certain bling factor

MDPC
    lol @kskz: Badmouthing others ("is the same", which is simply not true, and the swedish people know) to promote people who sell shoelace material, which you can buy in regular hobby shops (for a very specific hobby, in every country) for 20 to 30 cent per meter, has lots of class.
    Last edited by dualbrain; 05-09-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dualbrain View Post
    lol @kskz: Badmouthing others ("is the same", which is simply not true, and the swedish people know) to promote people who sell shoelace material, which you can buy in regular hobby shops (for a very specific hobby, in every country) for 20 to 30 cent per meter, has lots of class.
    i didnt badmouth no one , i just said how i think , and serriously i havent seen any pinremover that can hold more than 1-2 powersupplies, i had one from u too but it broke aswell :/ but it did hold better than sunbeam etc , i made one of steel and it has hold abou 8powersupplies and 15-16 extensions , it holds better because it a litle bit flexible , yeah i know but i havent seen any other shop in whole sweden which has that good sleeve like u nils and stefan makes , you both have awsome sleeve !

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kskz_91 View Post
    and serriously i havent seen any pinremover that can hold more than 1-2 powersupplies, i had one from u too but it broke aswell :/
    I've been using the same MOLEX pin remover since 2008. Maybe you're doing it wrong?

As for the sleeving at that Swedish site, it doesn't look as good to me as Nils but that's just my opinion.

Banned
    I agree it looks like shoelace, not nice

Here is another pic of the fabric-sleeve from the Djunelapa owner himself. Looks much better on this pic but im not sure it beats MDPC.

MDPC
    Commerce takes over the forums. Send the advertisers into forums Give them free items, so they push companies and tell everyone how fantastic things are^^

Reality:
    Shoelace-Sleeve does not allow to shape the wires, because it is too soft. It doesn't make the wire-shape sturdy, so you have little curves in the cables which you can't get rid off. Same as if you use nothing on wires.
    Shoelace-Sleeve does not expand, so you can't use it on SATA cables or on 3-wire fan cables at once, only single, which is ridiculous to sleeve micro cables individually.
    Shoelace-Sleeve hairs the more you touch it over time. It is a pure dust magnet.
    Shoelace-Sleeve (the fantastic new invention^^) is so old. You find it at ebay (and in hobby stores) for 10 Euro incl. 19% tax for 100 meters, so 8 Euros net for 100 meters . Where? I tell later, when the commerce-people have built up something ... and then the rip-off of modding-enthusiasts will be revealed.

You also find the Shoelace sleeve on every cheap round rubber band with fabric enclosure.

There will be unemployed people when the truth is revealed. But it would be not enough fun to do so now.

Xtreme Member
    Isnt it just like parachute cord?

MDPC
    Yes it is the same as paracord, just smaller and without an inner core to take out first (that's why it is so much cheaper in the real market (not the modding market^^) than even the already very cheap paracord). It's a standard material which protects the inner core from abrasion, which is mostly used over rubbers, lines and ropes. Paracord is the same but just with a bigger diameter.

If you ever worked with paracord, you know how hard it is to get the "sleeve" over the cable with pins on the end because of snagging and no expansion-possibilities (5% maximum). Now you can imagine how tough it is to use a smaller version of Paracord

Taping of the pins is a solution, but it still takes much longer to "sleeve" a wire with pin on it, because the diameter of this Shoelace-Sleeve is not much bigger than the wire itself (paracord is easier because it's bigger). It takes me 3-5 minutes to get a shoelace-sleeve onto one wire with a pin on it compared to 5 to 10 seconds with real sleeve.

And at the end of the day, you are not able to get the "zigzag" out of the wire, if the zigzag was on the wire before. Putting all the hassle of work aside, this is the big fail on such a thing.
    With real sleeve, you can straighten the wires, so they even stand horizontal in the air as a straight line, when it is stretched correctly. Remember fhantastic|Ferhans photos and of course Janik and Martin

Hairing, dust collection and impossible usage on 3-fan-wires at once (with pins at the end), SATA data cables, USB cables etc. is just an additional nogo.

Anyway: It's fun watching the advertisers running through the forums, not knowing what they're doing
    Last edited by dualbrain; 05-11-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Yes it is the same as paracord, just smaller and without an inner core to take out first (that's why it is so much cheaper in the real market (not the modding market^^) than even the already very cheap paracord). It's a standard material which protects the inner core from abrasion, which is mostly used over rubbers, lines and ropes. Paracord is the same but just with a bigger diameter.

If you ever worked with paracord, you know how hard it is to get the "sleeve" over the cable with pins on the end because of snagging and no expansion-possibilities (5% maximum). Now you can imagine how tough it is to use a smaller version of Paracord

Taping is a solution, but it still takes much longer to "sleeve" a wire with pin on it, because the diameter of this Shoelace-Sleeve is not much bigger than the wire itself (paracord is easier because it's bigger). It takes me 3-5 minutes to get a shoelace-sleeve onto one wire with a pin on it compared to 5 to 10 seconds with real sleeve.

And at the end of the day, you are not able to get the "zigzag" out of the wire, if the zigzag was on the wire before. Putting all the hassle of work aside, this is the big fail on such a thing.
    With real sleeve, you can straighten the wires, so they even stand horizontal in the air as a straight line, when it is stretched correctly. Remember fhantastic|Ferhans photos and of course Janik and Martin

Hairing, dust collection and impossible usage on 3-fan-wires at once, SATA data cables, USB cables etc. is just an additional nogo.

Anyway: It's fun watching the advertisers running through the forums, not knowing what they're doing
    Advertiser*
    Haven't even tried out the new sleeve. The reason i posted the pic was to prevent someone to just look at the pictures before and say "looks so i gues it is bad".
    You have to agree that the pictures does a lot, and with the superhigh quality pics of the MDPC sleeve everything else just looks bad.

MDPC
    The result in a system matters, not photos of macros - correct? And the wire-zigzag on longer wires in a full system and open question what to do with SATA, USB, fans, Frontpanel connectors, in order to achieve a harmonious result etc. is still there.
    The appeal of Shoelace-looks in a technological environment is of course everyones own taste

Sorry that I thought you're an advertiser!
    Need to go back to life, now that technically everything is explained so far.^^

Xtreme Member
    I was about to make a major order off of mdpc but I really want to make sure I'm ordering the right color for my project. The pictures I quoted in my last post are orange sleeving according to the following link:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=261328

I really would like to see what the yellow sleeving looks like under UV light. If anyone may please fulfill this request, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Commerce takes over the forums. Send the advertisers into forums Give them free items, so they push companies and tell everyone how fantastic things are^^

Reality:
    Shoelace-Sleeve does not allow to shape the wires, because it is too soft. It doesn't make the wire-shape sturdy, so you have little curves in the cables which you can't get rid off. Same as if you use nothing on wires.
    Shoelace-Sleeve does not expand, so you can't use it on SATA cables or on 3-wire fan cables at once, only single, which is ridiculous to sleeve micro cables individually.
    Shoelace-Sleeve hairs the more you touch it over time. It is a pure dust magnet.
    Shoelace-Sleeve (the fantastic new invention^^) is so old. You find it at ebay (and in hobby stores) for 10 Euro incl. 19% tax for 100 meters, so 8 Euros net for 100 meters . Where? I tell later, when the commerce-people have built up something ... and then the rip-off of modding-enthusiasts will be revealed.

You also find the Shoelace sleeve on every cheap round rubber band with fabric enclosure.

There will be unemployed people when the truth is revealed. But it would be not enough fun to do so now.
    I come back to a forum I left because of Dualbrain and the first thing I see? Him insulting people again.

Sigh...

Paracord Rocks!

Been reading forums for years but just started posting. Gonna have to put together a build log for my upcoming system. Thought I would post this bit here anyway.

Sleeving with Paracord sounded too cheep to be true... I have to say, WOW. This stuff looks amazing. The green practically glows in the dark!

I paid 6.95 per hundred feet. Bought 100ft green and 100 black. Still need to do my SATA Cables. I will probably need closer to 300 feet to finish the project with full length individual sleeving on an AX 850.

Xtreme Guru
    Guys, don't take it too personal, but it's very hard to believe users with that little post count and recent join date promoting products.

The green and black color looks nice but i personally wont buy those sleevings. I perfer the mdpc-x sleevings or anything similler.

I've been checking malik's pc's for few years now and i just love his builds, just wish i could do anything like him. If you check malik's new pc and old pc's photos you'll find the differents in the sleeved cables.

old pc's.

new pc

Xtreme Member
    shazbom the sleeving that Malik is using right now in the new Project are the Bitfenix cable Extensions. You can check that information in his worklog.

I have the new Blue Sata cable sleeved from Bitfenix and they are just fantastic, no heatshrink anymore, just Sata Cable plus the Sleeve

Page 104 of 110 FirstFirst ... 45494101102103104105106107 ... LastLast