Thread: Large case search!

Xtreme Member

Large case search!

I'm looking for a case, with oodles of room up top, something around 10cm of room above the MB? Actual minimum would be 9.4cm, but who cares.
    Basically, if you couldn't already figure this out from the fact that it's in the WC section, I'm looking for a place to stick a PA + 35mm thick fans. I'd rather not do external mounting on the rad, though I will if no case matches my parameters.

Xtreme Addict
    why above? theres plenty of cases with room below, the TJ07 for example

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Lian Li PC70,PC76
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evil-98 View Post
    why above? theres plenty of cases with room below, the TJ07 for example
    If they're above, then I can have them on exhaust, and I'm going to WC everything 'cept the SB on my rebuild, so I really don't want to have dedicated fans cooling the case. There's so little case heat that the rad is getting temps so close to ambient that it makes no difference, and the mobo + various sinks get great cooling, on the order of ~200 cfm, ala undervolted San Aces.

Xtreme Member
    But the TJ-07 uses fresh air, and if you use the rad as an exhaust you will be reusing hot air that has passed over the mainboard and GPU's which give off heat. Your temperatures will be hotter because the rad will only be cooled to the interior temperature of the case.. According to what you are looking for though, I'd say a Rocketfish is a cheap, effective solution.
    Current Computer| Modified SwordM | EVGA 680i A1 | 3x EVGA 8800GTX | Q6600 @ stock | 4 gigs Corsair Dominators 1066 | WD Caviar 1TB 7200rpm | Liquid by D-Tek and Ek
    Friends don't let ANYONE use Thermaltake
    Conspiracy Theorists FTW
    Join Us http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...php?groupid=25

My 680i A1 is not responding... WTF

Xtreme Member
    ehm every case has minimal of 10 cm above the mb??? not above the whole mobo tray but... (because almost all mobo tray's have 120mm fan mounting place so that always makes for more than 10 cm... )
    and maybe you could say what your budget is for the case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BreeSpree View Post
    But the TJ-07 uses fresh air, and if you use the rad as an exhaust you will be reusing hot air that has passed over the mainboard and GPU's which give off heat. Your temperatures will be hotter because the rad will only be cooled to the interior temperature of the case.. According to what you are looking for though, I'd say a Rocketfish is a cheap, effective solution.
    GPU will be watercooled. I'd say I have maybe 30W of heat being produced by the motherboard, maybe, including the SB, though possibly more during heavy I/O.

Using the rad as an exhaust is an excellent compromise between noise and performance, since I'm moving ~200cfm of air, and a watt is a joule per second, lets convert cfm into cfs, which gives you 3.3cfs. Taking a semi-random estimate, let's say that the case is .75' wide by 2' high, by 2' deep. Air at sea level has a density of 33.980216 g/ft^3, and our hypothetical case has a volume of 3 cubic feet. The air in our case weighs 101.940648 g. "Normal" air has a specific heat of 1.012 J/gK. Thus, the temperature increases 29.6442 K (or C, it's the same thing) per gram of air in our case...and we have 101.940648 of those. Thus, we have a .29 C increase in case temperatures over ambient. Theoretically. There are a whole truckload of reasons why the calculations I just made aren't true for real life, like the air doesn't stay still over the 1 second time period to allow the heat to evenly permeate throughout. Also, the 30W heat load was a good estimate, but not anything like as accurate as any of the constants I was using. But it's good enough to show that the "hot air" is not really that much hotter than ambient.
    Last edited by DeathWalking; 09-23-2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: I said "29.6442 J (or C, it's the same thing)", not "29.6442 K (or C, it's the same thing)". :p

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dopestuff View Post
    ehm every case has minimal of 10 cm above the mb??? not above the whole mobo tray but... (because almost all mobo tray's have 120mm fan mounting place so that always makes for more than 10 cm... )
    When I say above, I don't mean room from the motherboard to the side of the of case, but from the top of the motherboard to the top of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by dopestuff View Post
    maybe you could say what your budget is for the case
    The word budget has no meaning to me.

Seriously, though. I don't want to waste money, but if something works, I'll buy it.

Xtreme Addict
    A Ufo. Check mountainmods.com.
    Phenom 9950BE @ 3.24Ghz| ASUS M3A78-T | ASUS 4870 | 4gb G.SKILL DDR2-1000 |Silverstone Strider 600w ST60F| XFI Xtremegamer | Seagate 7200.10 320gb | Maxtor 200gb 7200rpm 16mb | Samsung 206BW | MCP655 | MCR320 | Apogee | MCW60 | MM U2-UFO |

A64 3800+ X2 AM2 @3.2Ghz| Biostar TF560 A2+ | 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | Sapphire 3870 512mb | Aircooled inside a White MM-UFO Horizon |

Current Phenom overclock

Max Phenom overclock

Xtreme Mentor
    V2000.
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathWalking View Post
    GPU will be watercooled. I'd say I have maybe 30W of heat being produced by the motherboard, maybe, including the SB, though possibly more during heavy I/O.

Using the rad as an exhaust is an excellent compromise between noise and performance, since I'm moving ~200cfm of air, and a watt is a joule per second, lets convert cfm into cfs, which gives you 3.3cfs. Taking a semi-random estimate, let's say that the case is .75' wide by 2' high, by 2' deep. Air at sea level has a density of 33.980216 g/ft^3, and our hypothetical case has a volume of 3 cubic feet. The air in our case weighs 101.940648 g. "Normal" air has a specific heat of 1.012 J/gK. Thus, the temperature increases 29.6442 J (or C, it's the same thing) per gram of air in our case...and we have 101.940648 of those. Thus, we have a .29 C increase in case temperatures over ambient. Theoretically. There are a whole truckload of reasons why the calculations I just made aren't true for real life, like the air doesn't stay still over the 1 second time period to allow the heat to evenly permeate throughout. Also, the 30W heat load was a good estimate, but not anything like as accurate as any of the constants I was using. But it's good enough to show that the "hot air" is not really that much hotter than ambient.
    Did you really solve all that, so that you can justify your reasoning behind using the rad as an exhaust.

Well alright if you really want the rad to exhaust you can use a Cosmos S. It may not have the space between the top of the case and motherboard you want, but you can put 3x25mm fans in the top area, behind the chassis, but under the top cover thing.
    Current Computer| Modified SwordM | EVGA 680i A1 | 3x EVGA 8800GTX | Q6600 @ stock | 4 gigs Corsair Dominators 1066 | WD Caviar 1TB 7200rpm | Liquid by D-Tek and Ek
    Friends don't let ANYONE use Thermaltake
    Conspiracy Theorists FTW
    Join Us http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...php?groupid=25

My 680i A1 is not responding... WTF

Xtreme Member
    Did you really solve all that, so that you can justify your reasoning behind using the rad as an exhaust.
    Yes, I did.
    Without math proving it, it's just my opinion, and I tire easily of "A is right" "No, A sucks, B is right," back and forth with not a single shred of evidence. I've seen that a lot recently, and I just scroll right past it, don't even bother reading most of the thread if it devolves into that.

Well alright if you really want the rad to exhaust you can use a Cosmos S. It may not have the space between the top of the case and motherboard you want, but you can put 3x25mm fans in the top area, behind the chassis, but under the top cover thing.
    I'm actually kinda annoyed with CoolerMaster for not making that spacing 38mm. I have some San Aces, I'm not going to not use them. Aside from that spacing, it's a dream case. Ah, well. I'm leaning towards the PC-A77, and cutting a big swath out of the top panel.

Xtreme Addict
    lian li a77 is your best bet, or go for a mountainmods as they have more than enough room for wc.

Xtreme Member
    Does anyone know of a bracket for mounting 120mm fans in drive bays, behind the drive bay covers? I know lots of HDD cages have them, including the ones in the A77, and I could just chop off the HDD cage portion of them...but I'm hoping there's a better option than permanently destroying the cages.
    Last edited by DeathWalking; 09-24-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Typo.

Banned
    some DIY aluminum flat bars sound good for those. measure twice, bend and drill once, screw in place...

lian li a77 series sounds good, those armor 8* series also good. but most of their internals are alike though...