Thread: 3 P45 DS3, 3 times burned smd cap

Xtreme Addict

3 P45 DS3, 3 times burned smd cap

i built a pc for my dad (a hackintosh) and this is the 3rd time the board burned within 1 (!) week
    my local store refuses to rma it because they think that i'm retarted and plugged in the wring FP ports everytime the dam board blew up but this time i didn't even connect the panel

this is how the current board looks like:

Burned SMD tantalum (???) cap:

another blown up cap? not sure on this one:

the first 2 times the board died after powering on the system and this time after connecting a Firewire drive to the BACKPANEL (pc shut itself off and burned after trying to switch it on again )

after the second dead board i switched the psu from a corsair vx 450 to a CWT based TT toughpower, the vga card (this one is 1 year old, from my download rig) tot he top slot) and didn't connect the FP ports

i've built around 20 pcs so far but i'm lost right now, maybe you guys know more about this part/its pupose on the gigabyte board/ why it was the same part everytime this thing blew up

PS: another pic so you know the exact location, i also have a multimeter at hand if you want me to make some measurements

i really want know the issue/if there is a way to fix it before i buy another mobo for 100€ which may blow up again

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks like the part is right near the pci slots. I would guess a defective pci card your installing there. The next board i would try to run out on a wood table on the cardboard box the board comes in. Install only the board cpu cooler memory video cdrom and one hdd. Installe windows and let the machine run overnight doing stress testing to verify the hardware is good. You may have a short circuit when your board is installed in your case. Verify no short circuit or metal interferience. Put masking tape on the bottom of the motherboard where the screws attach. Sometimes the standoffs can short components so cover the bottom of the board with masking tape where the standoffs connect and push the screws throught he tape from the top and this may avoid issues.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. I am always interested in how problems like this are solved. Btw its unlikely you have 3 bad boards so it must be something in your setup.

how about u get a board from a reputable brand that isnt $60
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    how about u get a board from a reputable brand that isnt $60
    It's a Gigabyte P45-DS3? You can't really get a whole lot more reputable than that. And if he's building it for his dad, he probably doesn't need a high-end $150+ motherboard.

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by brandinb View Post
    Looks like the part is right near the pci slots. I would guess a defective pci card your installing there. The next board i would try to run out on a wood table on the cardboard box the board comes in. Install only the board cpu cooler memory video cdrom and one hdd. Installe windows and let the machine run overnight doing stress testing to verify the hardware is good. You may have a short circuit when your board is installed in your case. Verify no short circuit or metal interferience. Put masking tape on the bottom of the motherboard where the screws attach. Sometimes the standoffs can short components so cover the bottom of the board with masking tape where the standoffs connect and push the screws throught he tape from the top and this may avoid issues.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. I am always interested in how problems like this are solved. Btw its unlikely you have 3 bad boards so it must be something in your setup.

sorry for the late respond, i'm on vacation in portugal right now

there was nothing in the pci slots, only a 8600gt in the top PCIe slot

the standoffs are very small ones from my CM case but i still think that this issue is related to the case, maybe it doesn't provide proper ground to the psu

i made this pst to find a fix for it (a place to order proper replacement caps/which parts i should try to place) as i don't get any warranty for this POS anymore.

my dad's going to get a p5k premium (only none-gigabyte board known to work flawlessly with a vanilly mac os install on pc_efiv8) but i still have a x1900+x1900 crossfire edition around here + a spare e2060 which clocks up to 3.2ghz and some ram ( i can sell this combo for at least 400$ to a friend of mime so it may not be a total loss if i can fix it)

so who knows where to get such smd caps in europe and wich values i need (i don't know which values i need/which parts i should replace)

the board fires up for half a second and turns off by itself after putting it on my open test-ikea-table so it may be fixable

PS: the board is 100€ over here and 100€ are 60 kebab sandwhiches/ 20 schnitzels / 2 semester tickets for public transport
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD