Thread: Question About Dew Point & Condensation

Question About Dew Point & Condensation

Im trying to figure this out but after doing a bunch of reading i am Not 100% sure, that if i have a water block and my coolant is below ambient i will not get condensation till i get that coolant at or below the Dew point. What i have read on condensation is that if you have a object that is colder then the air around it it will get condensation. But doesnt the object have to be colder then or at the dew point for this to happen.
    Reason i ask is i want to do a mod but i dont want to fry anything. I live in the desert so I allways have a low dew point. Right now the dew point is 7c With my mod i might get my coolant to if im lucky 18c to 20c and my ambient temps range from 26c to 29c where my computer is at..
    If any one can clarify this for me your help would be greatly appeciated ...Thanks
    ASUS P6T ~ Core i7 920 @3.8ghz ~ XfX HD4890~ 3x1Gb OCZ 1600Mhz ~2x150Gb WD Raptors ~ Antec 1200 ~ 37inch Jvc 1080p HDTV

Xtreme Member
    Dew point is the key. If your temp is at or below dew point you are likely to get condensation. I don't think it likely that you would ever get condensation with a water cooled system. Until and unless you go to Peltier or Phase you will not have to worry about condensation and insulation.
    i7 920 DO 3850A849 @4410 under custom water.
    Asus P6T deluxe V2
    3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600 998691
    Sapphire 4870 1g
    Corsair Hx 850 psu
    2 G.Skill titan 128gb SSDs in RAID0 Data
    Intel X25-M OS drive
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Xtreme Member
    You'll never get below ambient on normal watercooling, unless this mod involves a chiller I wouldn't worry.

(but if it does, go to the phase/DI cooling section to find out how to properly insulate your mobo)

EDIT: Jesus,. Ninja posters beat me to it. :P

oooh, exciting.

Royal Administrator
    Thread moved to Chilled Liquid Cooling.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section. Not really sure if this would be considered a chiller. What i plan on doing is basicly the same as a swamp cooler. I am going to take fans blowing down into a chamber and add a mist of water to the air before it gets to the radiators. I tested this out yesterday but could only get a dripping of water and had pretty good results. I think a mist for full coverage on the radiators would even be better. I was just worried about condesation as my board is fully water cooled and it would be a pain to protect the whole thing. So i was thinking of splitting my loop adding a pump for just the cpu because that would be fairly easy to protect. But it sounds like i have nothing to worry about as long as i watch the dew point...Thanks for your help ...The things a guy will do to get 4ghz out of a Q6600..

Edit: After thinking about it Adding a mist of water to the air does Chill it. So it must be a chiller. I just needed another cup of coffee i believe.
    Last edited by JaVa_Az; 09-21-2008 at 09:58 AM.
    ASUS P6T ~ Core i7 920 @3.8ghz ~ XfX HD4890~ 3x1Gb OCZ 1600Mhz ~2x150Gb WD Raptors ~ Antec 1200 ~ 37inch Jvc 1080p HDTV

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey JaVa_Az, you really won't need to worry about it with the system you've described.

A swamp cooler cannot cool the air to a temperature lower than the dewpoint, even if it is 100% effective. So you will not be able to cool your water loop to a temperature low enough to get condensation.

It's self-regulating in a way...
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitAC View Post
    Hey JaVa_Az, you really won't need to worry about it with the system you've described.

A swamp cooler cannot cool the air to a temperature lower than the dewpoint, even if it is 100% effective. So you will not be able to cool your water loop to a temperature low enough to get condensation.

It's self-regulating in a way...
    Thanks that sets my mind at easy. I just got back for ace hardware getting a couple of the things i was lacking to do this.
    I thought i was going to be doing some extreme liquid cooling. But now im in the chilled liquid cooling section looking at the -50c and lower some people are getting my idea seems kinda ghetto now. Wish i had the extra cash for a phase change unit.

I did think about this though maybe a new thread section for chilled water cooling Green style 25 watts or less. Im not a tree hugger but i did the math and what i am building only uses 22watts of jucie. lol anyways just a thought

Xtreme Member
    if you want a phase change unit on the cheap, I have a Promentia device collecting dust in my office.....yes, it still works......as far as the 22 watts of juice, LOL, if you get your wish for a Phase change unit on the cheap, you may as well open up your wallet a bit as your monthly electrical usage will see a significant jump......

they do make for a nicer big bling OC'ing experience

Good Luck....

laterzzzzz.....................
    Asrock 970 Extreme4, Vishera 8320 @4.6Ghz, 1.39v, 16 gig Gskill RipJaws X DDR3 2133 @2284, OCZ 700w, OCZ Vetex 4 256gb boot, ATI 6850, all on big air..

smoke and mirrors