Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: How to set up GTL Ref Values for 45nm & 65nm

Xtreme Member

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by hollaback04 View Post
    omg this is very helpful thanks for the information i hope i will setup the right values
    It would be interesting to see how my settings are working on your system. I have never had it that defaults would NOT work on default clocks. Especially the GTL references. Please post them when you're done, even tho your board is a Gigabyte.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Thanks to Cryptik & Mikeyakame!!!

Big Thanks to Cryptik for starting this thread & Mike for his detailed analysis (had to read some of it twice!! ... uh well maybe three times!!) I've had a ton of fun with my RE & E8600 but was rather dissappointed that I couldn't reach the magical 600fsb that I had seen posted all over this and other sites, AUTO settings at that!! I'd gazed at this thread a few times and then it a fit of desperation @ 4 in the morning decided it was time to play with the GTL's. Well, booted in 2nd try @ 9 x 600 PL 8 after doing the math!! Didn't think it was necessary with the E8600, thought I would read the thread when I put my quad in but WOW!! Been busy the last few days and had problems getting into Xtremesystems for the last week but now that I'm back on just had to say a BIG THANKS.. I'm sure this will really benefit me when I go for the QX9650!! Here is where I finished off the other night....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9x615FSB2.jpg 
Views:	1293 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	93504  

More & more very expensive, quickly obsolete parts!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Holy crap 1.72V, Phase? ^^

I'm afraid I'm going to have to bump my earlier question seeing as I'm afraid it fell behind :/
    Quote Originally Posted by BUMP
    Okay there's one thing I'm slightly confused about: This thread explains how to set the GTL Ref voltages, however when looking at examples of what people have set, their are always 2 of the 4 which are higher (~50) and 2 of the 4 that are lower (~10):
    Example:
    GTL ref 0: +50mv
    GTL ref 1: +10mv
    GTL ref 2: +50mv
    GTL ref 3: +10mv

Is that because 0 is the maximum and 1 the minimum? Should that not be mentioned in the first post?

2/ More importantly, what is the preferred method to find a stable overclock while fiddling with GTL Ref voltages?
    When you overclock a CPU it's fairly trouble free, increase FSB, check stability, if stable increase again, if not raise Vcore or Vnb (one at a time) until stable, then resume.
    But with GTL Ref voltages I'm in a slightly more troublesome situation...
    Should I first start manually setting the VTT and see if I can overclock any higher? Or is manual VTT without manual GTL Ref useless and I need to do both at the same time?
    If unstable, should I increase or decrease the GTL Ref voltages to get stable again? Are there any margins one should not go over? (ex: +~100mV?)

Sorry for the noobish questions but this has got to be one of the most confusing aspects of overclocking ^^
    Sub-Silentio: Stable 3.83Ghz:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz ....... | Lian Li V2010 ........... | DDC3.2 w/ XSPC Top ... | Bios .. 1104 |
    | EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1024MB ........... | Zalman ZM1000-HP ........ | TFC 480 .............. | Vcpu . 1.36V |
    | Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i ... | Razer Lachesis .......... | Zalman ZM-F3 ......... | V nb . 1.50V |
    | Corsair XMS3 DHX DDR-1600 7-7-7-20 .... | Razer Lycosa ............ | D-Tek Fuzion V2 ...... | V sb . 1.50V |
    | WD 300GB Velociraptor ................. | Hyundai W240D-PVA 24" ... | EK-FC280 ............. | Vmem . 1.90V |
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All suggestions welcome - Overclocking tips here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...d.php?t=208522

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyakame View Post
    Cryptik,

Tonight I had to read more Intel datasheets on something unrelated and I debunked my own theories on Asus' differing GTLs. I actually have an explanation now that isn't based on hunches! It seems if I had read thoroughly over all the FSB pin definitions I would have caught it straight away!

Address strobes are common clock source synchronous. Data strobes are differential clock source synchronous.

So why do Asus use 0.635 for data and 0.667 for address.

Address being common clock source synchronous means that the strobe is setup across multiple clock domains during the same clock edge, and synchronized to source of strobe.

Data being differential clock source synchronous means the strobe is set up at the target destination on the next falling edge of either differential clock, so the actual clock domain of source and target never actually come into contact with each other, and just synchronizes the data strobe based on when the source set it up, and accessed at the target on the following falling edge on the host bus not the source.

Now I see why Data is lower than address.

Ringback on low and high swing has potential to wreak havoc when it leaks into two clock domains have an open strobe on the same clock, and would otherwise never cross talk even if their frequency oscillates similarly to another on a different domain. Cross talking from ringback can only occur when a common clock is used for a strobe, it's otherwise harmless on differential clocks. Jitter on a common clock is as harmless as ringback on a differential clock. Asus understand that this is true in practice by their decisions on what reference voltage point to use for the associated strobe on the data or address bus. Jitter across differential clocks is bad because it causes skewing and deviation when calculating the following falling clock edge on the inverse clock because if the following clock period actually takes place earlier or later than max stability window determines is acceptable, there is no way to be sure that the target will begin to read the strobe before it begins and contaminate the strobe with something completely different, or after and miss the first bursts of data with result of incomplete data at endpoint. Checking data is complete and valid is optional and upto endpoint device to ensure that what it received is the same as what was sent.

So on a data strobe you want to minimize jitter at the expense of harmless ringback so you set the GTL for data bus strobes at the same value as Host FSB GTL reference to more precisely time when to setup the strobe and how long to hold it to make sure the target can successfully read successive strobes for the completion of the data transaction. The clock domains will never exist on the same clock so any ringback within the valid period window won't do anything other than look cool on an oscilloscope. There is your 0.63x.

On an address strobe different clock domains being exposed to each other on a common clock means you want to eliminate ringback because all the shielding and pulling down on the input voltage you do won't make the slightest difference if both clock domains have clock frequencies that have oscillation and resonance characteristics alike each other, and if they cross talk between device bus' there is no way to know this, as cross talk from source bus to destination bus appears as what should be part of an address strobe transaction even if its actually random data bits from a data strobe on the same falling clock edge for a completely different transaction. Address strobe data is highly critical and random if even minute pollution can completly alter the necessary data for the MCH to determine where a following data strobe needs to be requested to, or even something like changing a bit in the destination address data when decoded ends up initiating a data strobe to a completely unrelated device bus, and completely corrupting a data strobe it is accessing from a different source. Data all looks the same so you rely on the MCH to decode and route it properly and assume responsibility of validity to target, Address is all completely different, and decoding is based on set of hexadecimal identifiers supplied so that you don't need to know where it actually lives or how to get to it, just that it is there and you want to communicate with it. Asus uses 0.67 to eliminate ringback cross talk between clock domains at the expense of more jitter because jitter causes skewing, and skewing is only a problem when timing strobes across differential clocks especially when the low clocks data is inverse to its value, and high clock isn't. A != A on low clock, F != 0 on high clock, mess the timing up and AD0F from low clock is read as AD0F on high instead of 52F0 which is what the source device burst on to the Host FSB bus.

Summary.

0.63 for Data uses ringback resistance from differential clock bus access for source and target to eliminate clock jitter when timing strobe access between source and target. Set to same reference point as Host Bus GTL aka NB_GTLREF because all clocks are reference from host BCLK and what better reference to use than the same point being used to drive the clocks you are timing against clocks driven based on the same source at the destination accessing the strobe on the following clock edge. Chances of clocks skewing and deviating too far are decreased dramatically, that's the critical factor here.

0.67 for Address uses jitters ineffectiveness to raise the reference point as compensation to minimize or eliminate ringback into the valid clock period which has to potential to pollute and disrupt system stability or activity. Higher the sample point for all calculated clock period decreases the risk of address strobe contents being altered from concurrent data strobe on same falling clock edge as address strobe is setup across the bus, and what source sends and target receives isn't checked to minimize cost of transaction and assumed that what target receives is what the source originally sent.

Even with making sense of this, I feel so much more confused about other things. Datasheets are evil, they lure you in with the dream of answers, but in reality just pose more questions that they can't give you answers for!

The above also stipulates my understanding and practical results i've found from using both NB & CPU clock skews together with GTL reference points as it appears they are designed to go hand in hand and to be setup to compliment each others strengths and weaknesses, most importantly when Host BCLK frequency becomes fairly high (though quite a bit lower on quad cores than dual cores) and minimum criteria for operation can no longer be met for 100% of clocks on FSB and corresponding clocks driven on CPU and MCH from the Host FSB BCLK.

GTL reference points are extremely important for calculating highly critical values that correspond to handling data and timing strobes between clocks, and because of this they have a weak ability that can compensate small skew deviations between differential clock provided that the deviation at worst never exceeds the maximum stability criteria determined by the voltage crossing point between low and high swings. Using them solely to do this from what I now realize seems to result in perfectly stable system behaviour at high FSB, until CPU and MCH clock timing becomes critical during heavy bus transactions such as the type Linpack puts in motion and the system will hard lock instantly, sometimes after a minute other times 5-10 but the result is the same. The deviation between the previous voltage crossing point and the following one was greater than 150ps and the previous falling edge data strobe polluted the adjacent rising edge address strobe on the inverse clock. No amount of GTL or Vtt adjustment alone can correct it at this point, as if deviation averages 120-130ps, then all it takes is a bit too much jitter on the valid clock period for a data strobe and the deviation has potential to jump beyond that 150ps maximum tolerance.

NB and CPU clock skews can't fix problems which as a result of poorly setup GTL reference points so changing these to fix this kind of problem is like changing the tyres on a car that won't run because it has a flat battery. Car might have spanking new tyres but this means squat if your battery is still flat since you can't drive it anyway. NB & CPU clock skews what they are designed to do is make static corrections to when the output clock needs to be driven for the MCH and for the CPU with respect to the voltage crossing point which the GTL reference for Host FSB clock (NB GTLREF) is used to determine. If this is set correctly, then correcting skewing that is occuring from all the extra NB voltage we are pumping in to get high FSB stable in the first place (and is actually slowly becoming an obstacle that will halt further potential and heat just amplifies it which is why water cooled NBs give more consistent FSB clocks when put under similar conditions as constant lower temperature acts to reduce onset of symptoms and problems). Setting up the timing for driving CPU & MCH output clocks correctly from Host BCLK reference will correct dynamic compensation GTLs were being utilized incorrectly to handle if you either intentionally or accidentally managed to set them up to do that of course. If the problem lies with the design of the board itself and its VR limitations or additional compensation in circuit components that is designed to only handle so much before even they can't help, then no amount of amount of skew or GTL adjustment will change the results from this point even if the memory and CPU can do it.

Most 8 phase X48 boards will only do near 500Mhz FSB and this is VR and capacitance compensation limitations of their designs. P45 boards even with 16 phases unless the ones in question are priced at the same point as X48 counterparts are crippled by use of cheaper components to save costs of production, and it becomes like winning the lottery some win first try, others never win at all. If you are lucky to get a P45 board that does somehow pull over 500Mhz FSB on a quad core then you are one in very few who actually have achieved it.

Only two boards designed for this task are Asus Rampage Extreme and Foxconn Blackops and both when not crippled by either CPU or DRAM falling flat on their face first can and will achieve some very high extremely stable FSB frequencies as a result of either never exceeding their design or not finding a CPU that is perfect enough to exceed its abilities.

If by correctly setting up both clock skews and GTLs you are still stuck and can't get farther there is a damn good chance that CPU is losing coherency or DRAM timings can not be tight enough as required because of inconsistent IC limitations or ability. Sometimes it can be this, more times than not it is what happens when you become consumed on making one set of values work that just cant work, and if this happens best thing to do is step back for a bit start from the beginning at a different point and make your way back up there with new values. It's being able to cut your losses and start fresh that will be difference some of the time between making a setup work or not at a certain FSB frequency. Not all FSB frequencies are worth using anyway, sometimes 1 or 2Mhz either way is all it takes to get the system running smooth.
    Sorry haven't been in here in awhile. That description of the 0.63x data and 0.667x address makes perfect sense, however does the same situation exist when you factor in increased vcore and very large FSB/clock frequency increases? Is the data bus as resistant to ringback and is the address bus as resistant to jitter under the completely different circumstances created by overclocking? I found with my system that the data bus is the most sensitive, perhaps the ringback starts to needs compensating for at higher BUS/clock speeds, and responds to (is stabilized by) increased Vref much more than the address bus, which can almost be left at 0.667x with a slightly raised Vtt even up to ~534 FSB.

I have not had much luck setting the vRef for the data bus the same as the NB Vref. My boards NB default multi is 0.640x whilst the default data bus multi is 0.635x. To be completely stable, my NB GTL Ref is -40mv, and the data bus GTL Ref is +60mv, my NB will not tolerate 0.64x + GTL Refs and the cpu will not tolerate less than 0.635x on the data bus when at high speeds (4GHz+). This may be a function of the changes occurring due to overclocking and the requirements of both the CPU and NB under these conditions. It seems at least with my system, that at elevated speeds the NB and CPU need to be tuned separately to maintain valid data transfer between source and destination.

The use of clock skews is imperative to achieve stability, especially it seems with quads. However each system appears to exhibit unique behaviour, some preferring a delay of 100 - 200ps on the NB with the cpu left at normal, and others prefer a 100 - 200ps delay on the CPU with the NB left at normal. This may be either due to the CPU used, or variations in components on the board, or other factors. To a very limited extent you can overpower the need for NB skews with increased NB voltage but in a lot of cases a decrease in NB voltage can be achieved with correctly set NB skew.

500 FSB on a quad is not something we see often, perhaps as much due to people not wanting to push the chip that hard as opposed to the same speed achievable on a higher multi as a lack of boards to support it. The only quads ive seen doing 500 FSB with reasonable volts are the occasional 65nm and the occasional low VID 9650 on a suitable P45. The A3 revision P45 chipset seems much more capable in terms of quad overclocking, and although only possessing a 6 phase analogue PWM, the Gigabyte UD3P is handling them very well, with 4500 MHz and 500 FSB 24/7 stable able to be achieved. The Max II Formula, which has the same 16 phase PWM as the Rampage Extreme, seems to be able to handle it too but not many of the guys with one have chips that are 500 FSB capable at volts they are comfortable using. Also the M2F seems quite capable at 4500 MHz on duals, with no CPU/NB clock skewing or ram skewing necessary for complete stability. Choice of board is very important when intending to push the limits of your hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Cibic View Post
    Guys, I've been reading but I don't fully understand it. I have never done maths in english.

MB: Asus Striker II Extreme v1104 Bios
    CPU: Q6600 at 3.6GHz, 1.46v
    VTT: 1.44v (actual 1.46)
    NB: 1.55v
    PLL: 1.6v
    According to Seban's excel file and
    from what I gathered:

Doing the maths I get 46mv that means I should set the values and then work my way down or up?
    and each time I get a failure but I must keep 1 and 3 40mv below 0 and 2.

eg.
    NB: +50mv

Which way is it correct?
    What range should I be and if none of the ranges work, that means I need more volts somewhere?
    There's no hard and fast rule to this, You can feel free to experiment with every combination of the GTL Refs. For example I set +20mv for all my GTL Refs the other night doing some testing, you are not going to hurt anything unless you have a very high Vtt and the Vref goes over 1.10v.

You can try for example, +50/+10/+50/+10 or +50/+20+/+50/+20 or +50/auto/+50/auto or +40/-5/+40/-5 would give you your ~46mv difference if you find that to work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobly View Post
    Okay there's one thing I'm slightly confused about: This thread explains how to set the GTL Ref voltages, however when looking at examples of what people have set, their are always 2 of the 4 which are higher (~50) and 2 of the 4 that are lower (~10):
    Example:

Is that because 0 is the maximum and 1 the minimum? Should that not be mentioned in the first post?

2/ More importantly, what is the preferred method to find a stable overclock while fiddling with GTL Ref voltages?
    When you overclock a CPU it's fairly trouble free, increase FSB, check stability, if stable increase again, if not raise Vcore or Vnb (one at a time) until stable, then resume.
    But with GTL Ref voltages I'm in a slightly more troublesome situation...
    Should I first start manually setting the VTT and see if I can overclock any higher? Or is manual VTT without manual GTL Ref useless and I need to do both at the same time?
    If unstable, should I increase or decrease the GTL Ref voltages to get stable again? Are there any margins one should not go over? (ex: +~100mV?)

Sorry for the noobish questions but this has got to be one of the most confusing aspects of overclocking ^^
    The default multipliers for GTL Refs 0/2 are 0.635x and the default multiplier for GTL Refs 1/3 are 0.667x, so to get the same Vref when multiplied by the Vtt you need different modifiers for 0/2 and 1/3, ie: 50/10/50/10.

I guess the way to tune GTL Refs differes person to person. To roughly tune them, I prefer to make sure ram/NB is stable, manually set Vtt, and, using a vcore that is slightly too low for the given speed, use either orthos small FFT or Intel Burn Test to see what GTL Refs give me the longest fail time or least errors, respectively. You must be certain the rest of your system is stable though or you will be wasting your time. You can also somewhat fine tune the GTL's by also examining the Gflops output with IBT, they should be very similar to each other, and correct adjustment of the GTL's can achieve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Amurtigress View Post
    mikeyakame/Cryptik:

Thanks for the long post on the last page. I haven't posted here for quite some time...

It appears that my mainboard hasn't read your posting yet, since my system would only get stable setting all references to 0.69 +-0.2.
    Any larger difference in any of those references leads to calculation errors in IBT. If my memories don't fail me, keeping the difference 0.04 between adress and data did not even work on default clocks.

Here a quick summary of my current settings:
    CPU: Q9550 E0
    FSB clock: 460 MHz (465 and more will cause hangs and BSODs)
    FSB term V.: 1.36V
    NB Volt: 1.40V
    CPU PLL Volt: 1.56V
    CPU clock: 3910 MHz
    CPU GTL 0/2: 0.69x
    CPU GTL 1/3: 0.69x
    NB GTL: 0.69x

CPU and NB skew do nothing for me, they only cause instabilities (BSODs, system hang) if not set to AUTO. More than 200 ps even keeps the system from posting.

Does that make any sense in relation to your last post on why ASUS is keeping that 0.04 difference?
    You're not the only person with a 9550 that requires high GTL's. Just use whatever works for you best, GTL settings dont port over from other peoples systems. You may need more Vtt, vcore, vPLL etc as GTL's can't make up for a lack of vcore etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Expat GriZ View Post
    Big Thanks to Cryptik for starting this thread & Mike for his detailed analysis (had to read some of it twice!! ... uh well maybe three times!!) I've had a ton of fun with my RE & E8600 but was rather dissappointed that I couldn't reach the magical 600fsb that I had seen posted all over this and other sites, AUTO settings at that!! I'd gazed at this thread a few times and then it a fit of desperation @ 4 in the morning decided it was time to play with the GTL's. Well, booted in 2nd try @ 9 x 600 PL 8 after doing the math!! Didn't think it was necessary with the E8600, thought I would read the thread when I put my quad in but WOW!! Been busy the last few days and had problems getting into Xtremesystems for the last week but now that I'm back on just had to say a BIG THANKS.. I'm sure this will really benefit me when I go for the QX9650!! Here is where I finished off the other night....
    Cheers I'm glad this thread has turned out to be useful. Mikey's fantastic explanations have also been a very valuable contribution.

That's a great result, congratulations! Glad this thread helped, and yes dual cores are also effected by GTL's not just quads. Any particular reason why you are buying a QX9650? From what I've seen from other peoples results the Q9650 E0's clock much better than the QX chips, and the RE seems to be able to handle 470 - 480 FSB so 4.23 GHz should be achievable on much lower vcore than on a QX with your RE.
    Last edited by CryptiK; 01-26-2009 at 06:42 AM.
    Ci7 990X::Rampage III Extreme::12GB Corsair Dominator 1866C7GT::2 x EVGA SC Titans in SLI::Corsair AX1200::TJ07::Watercooled
    Ci7 920 3849B018::Rampage II Extreme::6GB GSKILL Trident 2000C9 BBSE::EVGA GTX580::Antec Signature SG850::TJ09::Aircooled w/TRUE 120X

Xtreme Addict
    Clock jitter gets worse with increased frequencies and voltages. Not much you can do about it really besides make compensation adjustments. Each board and its components will vary the effects of it as nothing is perfect, traces, capacitors, resistors, chips, everything has a part in it. Gigabyte UD3 from my understanding behaves so nicely mostly due to the increased thickness of copper between PCB layers which helps to minimize trace leak and interference. Probably why it can get away with a smaller VRM and be more consistent. All that Asus have done with adding more phases to VR is offset against the trace losses and interference that the PCB design incurs, and jitter produced when driving the clocks internally as phase timing for Vcc gets gradually worse and more inconsistent.

I understand that's the case anyhow, though GB's approach of shielding from signal interference and minimizing transit loss over traces is the correct way to handle the problem. What Asus does by improving VR capacity and output stability by adding more phases to the design is no different than a PSU manufacturer like ThermalTake who jacks up Rail Current Output and keeps introducing models with more and more W to sidestep electrical design flaws and weaknesses instead of releasing a unit that is much more efficient and can do the same job with 500W less capacity. Sidestepping a problem only makes it happen later on, handling it and managing it correctly is difficult and costly, but eventually it saves more than it costs. Problem is with Asus method is that all they are doing is band-aiding the CPU, while other devices on the board still have same poor behaviour that only gets worse and eventually cripple the system before the potential of the 16-phase VR can be reached. Designs like this aren't meant for everyday at high frequency, only stable benchmarking. Gigabytes designs are meant for everyday stability, I applaud that and wish Asus would take a leaf from their book. No point being able to run 600mhz fsb if my sound card is so crackly I can't hear the actual audio, or my HD speeds are so abismal that it's faster reading and writing off floppy drives, OR my NIC drops out so frequently I might as well switch to wireless. heh.

And for your entertainment, heres a HD Tune screenshot taken of my 4x320gb Raid 0 running off ICH9R on my Rampage Formula at 476Mhz FSB.

It looks more like a seismograph's output during an Earthquake Asus should be proud of their engineering brilliance, turning my raid array into what appears to be an earthquake
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Volume.png 
Views:	1269 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	93515  
    Last edited by mikeyakame; 01-26-2009 at 07:42 AM.

DFI LT-X48-T2R UT CDC24 Bios | Q9550 E0 | G.Skill DDR2-1066 PK 2x2GB |
    Geforce GTX 280 729/1566/2698 | Corsair HX1000 | Stacker 832 | Dell 3008WFP

Xtreme Mentor
    That's a good point about the added copper layers in the Gigabyte boards, I wasn't aware they reduced trace leakage and cross talk/signal interference. Hopefully other manufacturers follow suit. I was saying to someone about a week ago how I didn't think the 16 phase PWM on Asus boards was the bottleneck with their performance, and that other components/design limitations were what was the limiting factor. Under load with quads though the UD3P's are emitting a high pitch squealing which indicates things are getting towards the limits of the design, and when you consider the amount of current a quad at 4 GHz+ is pulling and the fact it has only 6 phase then its no wonder. There's one guy running 4.4GHz 24/7 on a 9650 so if he keeps that up it should be a good test of the boards longevity under that kind of pressure.

The M2F seems to be a bit hit and miss, some guys (like me thankfully) got solid boards that are predictable and perform well, other guys seem to luck out, one thing ive noticed is no two boards behave alike, even guys that have had 3 using the same exact hardware had markedly different experiences with each board. The new gigabytes seem quite consistent from what i can see from the thread. My board is running flawlessly at 4.3 GHz (478 x 9, DDR2-1147, PL8), no crackles in the sound, no NIC dropouts, nothing at all, it's rock solid. It's hardly an extreme clock for 24/7 but it's well out of spec, however things may change if it was at 600+ FSB.
    Ci7 990X::Rampage III Extreme::12GB Corsair Dominator 1866C7GT::2 x EVGA SC Titans in SLI::Corsair AX1200::TJ07::Watercooled
    Ci7 920 3849B018::Rampage II Extreme::6GB GSKILL Trident 2000C9 BBSE::EVGA GTX580::Antec Signature SG850::TJ09::Aircooled w/TRUE 120X

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @ bobly .....yup, SS Unit from Little Devil.

@ Cryptik ......Thanks for the reply and I've had the QX since they first came out. It sits right now in my main system @ 4.2 Ghz, 1.4V on air. I was very leary to try any higher as blowing up 900 euros would REALLY hurt!! Now that I've got the phase and a little more experience I was going to put it "under the cold" to see if I could improve my 3D Mark scores. You are right about the NB GTL's. Many combinations seem to work but stabilty for me means I have to set the NB GTL -30 to -40 lower. Thanks again guys!!

More & more very expensive, quickly obsolete parts!!

Xtreme Addict
    Ok Guys so I might need your help Currently Running this E8600 @ 4.5ghz on water chip is great runs fast with low vcore im loving it now I want to try some bench runs on water and with the Rampage extreme it seems to be finnicky like one dash of anything will cause it not to boot lowering voltages makes it more stable most of the time and once its stable its steel but you need to get there first so here is the question

is my math correct

VTT of FSB voltage = 1.43

1.43x0.667 + Y = VTT x 0.635

0.95381 + Y = 0.89535

Y = 0.89535 - 0.95381
    Y = -0.05846
    Y= -58mv and round it to -60mv

so I would set core 0 and core 1 gtl ref to -60mv ?

Im currently not using the GTL ref (auto) because its been stable rock solid at these settings but when I want to do some benching these values become more important at higher speeds.
    Last edited by Ozzfest05; 01-26-2009 at 10:17 AM.
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyakame View Post
    Clock jitter gets worse with increased frequencies and voltages. Not much you can do about it really besides make compensation adjustments. Each board and its components will vary the effects of it as nothing is perfect, traces, capacitors, resistors, chips, everything has a part in it. Gigabyte UD3 from my understanding behaves so nicely mostly due to the increased thickness of copper between PCB layers which helps to minimize trace leak and interference. Probably why it can get away with a smaller VRM and be more consistent. All that Asus have done with adding more phases to VR is offset against the trace losses and interference that the PCB design incurs, and jitter produced when driving the clocks internally as phase timing for Vcc gets gradually worse and more inconsistent.
    mikeyakame,

thanks a ton on that insight how actually Gigabyte is achieving that. I have had my gripes about ASUS recently, frankly. And I might change over to Gigabyte next time, per chance when I am getting a Socket 1366 system. Gigabyte seems to spend more professional thoughts into board design, while ASUS may become the victim of their own 'coolness'. 16 phase power looks stupid to me.

I am not so much concerned about the high GTL ref. of 0.69 on myboard. I only discovered today that my system is running stably at setting NB and both CPU GTL references to 0.63, which somehow did not work for me initially.

What I don't get is:

I had a Maximus Formula board before which only had one BIOS setting for all CPU GTL references. The next generation ASUS P45 boards introduced that split up of data and adress GTL references. And since I can only run my Q9550 at NB and CPU GTL references set to the same values, this likely means for a well part of the P5Q/P5Q3 users that ASUS' approach on keeping the references apart failed. Or it introduces more setbacks than gains, whatever they are.

I just wish I could hook up a good oscilloscope to the onboard traces and really SEE what's going on, to see the effects of my BIOS settings on the actual signals.

I wonder what awaits us on the QPI bus! Perhaps nothing fancy for a while, until that new bus getsto its limits in several years future

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat GriZ View Post
    @ bobly .....yup, SS Unit from Little Devil.

@ Cryptik ......Thanks for the reply and I've had the QX since they first came out. It sits right now in my main system @ 4.2 Ghz, 1.4V on air. I was very leary to try any higher as blowing up 900 euros would REALLY hurt!! Now that I've got the phase and a little more experience I was going to put it "under the cold" to see if I could improve my 3D Mark scores. You are right about the NB GTL's. Many combinations seem to work but stabilty for me means I have to set the NB GTL -30 to -40 lower. Thanks again guys!!
    Ah ok no problem then, its should go pretty nicely with cold, it's already doing well for that type of cpu, better than some 9650 E0's, so it looks like you got a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzfest05 View Post
    Ok Guys so I might need your help Currently Running this E8600 @ 4.5ghz on water chip is great runs fast with low vcore im loving it now I want to try some bench runs on water and with the Rampage extreme it seems to be finnicky like one dash of anything will cause it not to boot lowering voltages makes it more stable most of the time and once its stable its steel but you need to get there first so here is the question

is my math correct

VTT of FSB voltage = 1.43

1.43x0.667 + Y = VTT x 0.635

0.95381 + Y = 0.89535

Y = 0.89535 - 0.95381
    Y = -0.05846
    Y= -58mv and round it to -60mv

so I would set core 0 and core 1 gtl ref to -60mv ?

Im currently not using the GTL ref (auto) because its been stable rock solid at these settings but when I want to do some benching these values become more important at higher speeds.
    0.635 x 1.43v = 0.90805v
    0.667 x 1.43v = 0.95381v

0.95381v - 0.90805v = 0.04576v (rounds to 46mv)

So for example you could set:

GTL Ref 0 = +10mv
    GTL Ref 1 = -35mv
    GTL Ref 2 = +10mv
    GTL Ref 3 = -35mv

or

GTL Ref 0 = Auto
    GTL Ref 1 = -45mv
    GTL Ref 2 = Auto
    GTL Ref 3 = -45mv

However there is no harm in setting the GTL refs to only 40mv or less apart, so play around and see what works best for your system. My cpu seems to like the data bus Vref raised but raising the address bus Vref doesnt seem to make much difference.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CryptiK View Post
    There's no hard and fast rule to this, You can feel free to experiment with every combination of the GTL Refs. For example I set +20mv for all my GTL Refs the other night doing some testing, you are not going to hurt anything unless you have a very high Vtt and the Vref goes over 1.10v.

You can try for example, +50/+10/+50/+10 or +50/+20+/+50/+20 or +50/auto/+50/auto or +40/-5/+40/-5 would give you your ~46mv difference if you find that to work better.
    (*)I tested my CPU on prime95 small fft's on 3.6GHz 1.42v 9x multi at 1600FSB and passes 8 hours.

Ram at stock, memtest 8h pass. Still get freezing on blend.
    I have been at this for a year now, only thing left is gtl refs.

Raised voltage to sensible levels but still higher than needed.

I've tried from +50/+10/+50/+10 to +90/+50/+90/+50
    tried minus too +30/-20/+30/-20
    core 0/3 from 2/4 always 40 difference. If I'm out of the calculated result i get instabilities even sooner.

But I always leave the NB at +50 (+46 needed,calculated).

I need to know this:
    if I get bsod and restart means is the CPU gtls(*)?
    If I get freezing is it the NB gtl?

Also should I decrease or increase the NB gtl? VTT is at 1.49v, NB is at 1.5v
    Trying +80mv now, all the way from +50mv are unstable for me. Strange, they take almost the same amount of time to freeze or gimme the the BSOD then freeze.
    Last edited by Cibic; 01-27-2009 at 05:26 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I don't recommend actually calculating NB GTL Ref. You need to find through trial and error what gives the most stable results. Leave it auto to begin with, and see how you go. I tested my NB GTL Ref from -100mv to +100mv and found my sweet spot at 445 FSB on 5:6 divider was -60mv, and at 478 FSB on 5:6 divider was -40mv. Other guys with the same board as me require different NB GTL Ref settings for stability, some cant even boot on my settings.

It's important you experiment with your board and find exactly what it likes at a given FSB/clock/memory speed etc.

There is no specific rule that defines what causes what kind of error, it could be anything, ram timings, vcore, Vtt, vdimm, vNB etc. Try to isolate specific items like cpu, ram, NB and try to stress each one to find the problem.

The fact you pass 8hours of small FFT's but fail blend to me indicates a ram/NB instability. Try playing with NB GTL's as I suggested above, and also adjust your ram timings/vdimm. You may also need to experiment with clock skews on ram if you have them.

Xtreme Member
    I don't recommend actually calculating NB GTL Ref. You need to find through trial and error what gives the most stable results. Leave it auto to begin with, and see how you go. I tested my NB GTL Ref from -100mv to +100mv and found my sweet spot at 445 FSB on 5:6 divider was -60mv, and at 478 FSB on 5:6 divider was -40mv. Other guys with the same board as me require different NB GTL Ref settings for stability, some cant even boot on my settings.

It's important you experiment with your board and find exactly what it likes at a given FSB/clock/memory speed etc.

There is no specific rule that defines what causes what kind of error, it could be anything, ram timings, vcore, Vtt, vdimm, vNB etc. Try to isolate specific items like cpu, ram, NB and try to stress each one to find the problem.

The fact you pass 8hours of small FFT's but fail blend to me indicates a ram/NB instability. Try playing with NB GTL's as I suggested above, and also adjust your ram timings/vdimm. You may also need to experiment with clock skews on ram if you have them.
    When I said calculated I meant (VTT x 0.667) - (VTT x 0.635) = 0.046 for me to use on my CPU.
    Isn't the NB the same? Anyway used -46 on NB for now (I'm guessing I should go lower, upper means more unstable) and testing CPU again small fft. Ram is fine because I tested it a few days ago, its running on stock frequency, volts and timings.
    Its hard to believe the cpu has been stable at 3.8 with 1.54v at 1800 fsb small fft's (q6600 G0, 1.26vid) but blend has been unstable even at 2.4(stock)/2.8/3.0/3.2/3.6 GHz
    Last edited by Cibic; 03-11-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    New question: Is something done different on the Asus Striker 2 Extreme?
    People post GTL settings that look similar to this:

Except on my S2E, 0 and 3 have the same options (going from +14 to +224, and then negatives) while 1 and 2 have different options (going from +13 to 208, and then negatives). Does that mean I should be setting mine like so:
    GTL ref 2: +10mv
    GTL ref 3: +50mV
    ?

Edit: Arf this is crazy, I'm nearly stable, primed for 18h without errors and IBT works too (with GTLs on auto) but sometimes I randomly get system freezes, I've noticed they happen more often when I'm transferring a lot of info from one hard drive to another (either SATA to USB or SATA to eSATA) or when playing Assassin's Creed. It's weird but while all other games will work fine and sometimes system freeze every 24-48h, Assassin's Creed will system freeze within 15 minutes >.< Everest reported VTT of 1.28V so I've set it to that in the BIOS for now...

Edit Edit: Worklog
    Code:
    S2E w/	Q9550		REF0	REF1	REF2	REF3	POST	BOOT	IBT	STABLE
    FSB	1866		42	0	0	42	X	FAIL		
    Multi	8.5		14	39	39	14	X	X	FAIL	
    Memory	1600		-7	26	26	-7	X	X	BSOD	
    CPU-Z V	1.36V		-14	26	26	-14	X	X	X	FREEZE
    PLL	Auto		28	65	65	28	X	FAIL		
    VTT	1.28V		-21	26	26	-21	X	X	X	FREEZE
    Memory	1.9V		-21	13	13	-21	X	X	X	
    NB	1.5V									
    SB	1.5V
    X means pass, a fail will be indicated by the symptom of failure. First X means it posted, second means it booted into Vista, third means it passed 5 passes of IBT (not a real test, but it gives me a rough idea of if I'm on the right track or not, fourth one involves general use, usually crashes within 30 minutes on Assassin's Creed if incorrect).
    Last edited by Bobly; 01-28-2009 at 05:54 AM.
    | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz ....... | Lian Li V2010 ........... | DDC3.2 w/ XSPC Top ... | Bios .. 1104 |
    | EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1024MB ........... | Zalman ZM1000-HP ........ | TFC 480 .............. | Vcpu . 1.36V |
    | Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i ... | Razer Lachesis .......... | Zalman ZM-F3 ......... | V nb . 1.50V |
    | Corsair XMS3 DHX DDR-1600 7-7-7-20 .... | Razer Lycosa ............ | D-Tek Fuzion V2 ...... | V sb . 1.50V |
    | WD 300GB Velociraptor ................. | Hyundai W240D-PVA 24" ... | EK-FC280 ............. | Vmem . 1.90V |
    All suggestions welcome - Overclocking tips here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...d.php?t=208522

Xtreme Member

Except on my S2E, 0 and 3 have the same options (going from +14 to +224, and then negatives) while 1 and 2 have different options (going from +13 to 208, and then negatives). Does that mean I should be setting mine like so:
    ?

Edit: Arf this is crazy, I'm nearly stable, primed for 18h without errors and IBT works too (with GTLs on auto) but sometimes I randomly get system freezes, I've noticed they happen more often when I'm transferring a lot of info from one hard drive to another (either SATA to USB or SATA to eSATA) or when playing Assassin's Creed. It's weird but while all other games will work fine and sometimes system freeze every 24-48h, Assassin's Creed will system freeze within 15 minutes >.< Everest reported VTT of 1.28V so I've set it to that in the BIOS for now...

Code:
    S2E w/	Q9550		REF0	REF1	REF2	REF3
    FSB	1866		POST	BOOT	IBT	STABLE
    Multi	8.5		42	0	0	42
    Memory	1600		X	FAIL		
    CPU-Z V	1.36V		14	39	39	14
    PLL	Auto		X	X	FAIL	
    VTT	1.28V		-7	26	26	-7
    Memory	1.9V		X	X	BSOD	
    NB	1.5V		-14	26	26	-14
    SB	1.5V		X	X	X	FREEZE
    			28	65	65	28
    			X	FAIL		
    			-21	26	26	-21
    			X	X	X	Ongoing
    The GTL settings are listed in columns, the results are in the row underneath, X means pass, a fail will be indicated by the symptom of failure. First X means it posted, second means it booted into Vista, third means it passed 5 passes of IBT (not a real test, but it gives me a rough idea of if I'm on the right track or not, fourth one involves general use, usually crashes within 30 minutes on Assassin's Creed if incorrect).
    Increase voltages and set all cpu gtl ref's near calculated. Set NB gtl on auto IMO.
    Last edited by Cibic; 03-11-2009 at 08:04 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My Vdimm (memory voltage right?) is set to manufacturer specs which are 1.9V 1600MHz, 7-7-7-20, it should be stable at those settings. On a smaller overclock I had the Vdimm set to 1.86V while still remaining stable, I only put it back up to 1.9V to stay within specs.
    What's the rule of thumb/a good voltage to start with for nb gtl? Should I then raise it higher or lower? Is there a maximum one shouldn't go over?

Code:
    S2E w/	Q9550		REF0	REF1	REF2	REF3	POST	BOOT	IBT	STABLE
    FSB	1866		Auto	Auto	Auto	Auto	X	X	X	FREEZE
    Multi	8.5		-29	13	13	-29	X	X	X	Testing
    Memory	1600		-21	13	13	-21	X	X	X	FREEZE
    CPU-Z V	1.36V		-21	26	26	-21	X	X	X	FREEZE
    PLL	Auto		-14	26	26	-14	X	X	X	FREEZE
    VTT	1.28V		-7	26	26	-7	X	X	BSOD	
    Memory	1.9V		14	39	39	14	X	X	FAIL	
    NB	1.5V		28	65	65	28	X	FAIL		
    SB	1.5V		42	0	0	42	X	FAIL
    I'm noticing that negative GTL References seem to fail less than positive ones, could thing mean something else? Maybe my VTT is too high?
    Last edited by Bobly; 01-28-2009 at 06:14 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cibic View Post
    Auto on NB gtl is always unstable, more clock more instability.
    When I said calculated I meant (VTT x 0.667) - (VTT x 0.635) = 0.046 for me to use on my CPU.
    Isn't the NB the same? Anyway used -46 on NB for now (I'm guessing I should go lower, upper means more unstable) and testing CPU again small fft. Ram is fine because I tested it a few days ago, its running on stock frequency, volts and timings.
    Now only thing left is NB gtl. I don't believe it, the cpu has been stable to 3.8 with 1.5v at 1800 fsb (q6600 G0, 1.26vid) but blend has been unstable either on 2.4(stock)/2.8/3.0/3.2/3.6 GHz
    What did you test the ram with? Bootable memtest or HCI memtest? Blend is harder on the ram that bootable memtest in my experience.

If it is failing at completely stock speeds, timings, voltages for cpu, ram and NB something is not right at all.

?

Code:
    S2E w/	Q9550		REF0	REF1	REF2	REF3
    FSB	1866		POST	BOOT	IBT	STABLE
    Multi	8.5		42	0	0	42
    Memory	1600		X	FAIL		
    CPU-Z V	1.36V		14	39	39	14
    PLL	Auto		X	X	FAIL	
    VTT	1.28V		-7	26	26	-7
    Memory	1.9V		X	X	BSOD	
    NB	1.5V		-14	26	26	-14
    SB	1.5V		X	X	X	FREEZE
    			28	65	65	28
    			X	FAIL		
    			-21	26	26	-21
    			X	X	X	Ongoing
    The GTL settings are listed in columns, the results are in the row underneath, X means pass, a fail will be indicated by the symptom of failure. First X means it posted, second means it booted into Vista, third means it passed 5 passes of IBT (not a real test, but it gives me a rough idea of if I'm on the right track or not, fourth one involves general use, usually crashes within 30 minutes on Assassin's Creed if incorrect).
    Yes it looks like your striker bios is a little different. Probably using 0.635/0/667x/0.667x/0.635x from top to bottom by the looks of what you posted.

If you are getting lock ups when accessing HDD's perhaps your southbridge needs more voltage. Try increasing it a little and see if it helps.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Okay well I'm currently on -21/13/13/-21 and it seems to be doing okay, Assassin's Creed ran for over an hour without a freeze, though I've ran into the slight problem of having spent all morning playing it and needing a break :P I'm going to do some hard drive sorting though, swap a couple hundred GB around, see if that freezes it.
    Before fiddling with the GTL refs I tried upping SB to 1.6V but that still didn't help, only made the NB get a little more toasty :P
    Edit: Yup copying files did it XD Gonna bump the SB up a bit.
    Edit Edit: First reboot with 1.6Vsb BSOD'd however I think that might have just been a freak accident due to the system freeze that happened during multiple file transfers just before. Since it's not crashed yet, I'll keep moving things around, have a go on assassin's creed again later, but hopefully it will be slightly more stable now Then I can prime overnight.
    EditEditEdit: system freeze again... My computer hates moving files >.<
    Last edited by Bobly; 01-28-2009 at 07:41 AM.

Xtreme Member

Asus Striker II Extreme 790i overclocking info

What did you test the ram with? Bootable memtest or HCI memtest? Blend is harder on the ram that bootable memtest in my experience.

If it is failing at completely stock speeds, timings, voltages for cpu, ram and NB something is not right at all.
    Memtest and yeah blend is much harder.

1: Loadline Calibration doesn't make a difference, but if I want to go over 1.5 vcore I enable it.
    2: On full system load vdimm drops so I need even more voltage on ram at stock freqs and timings.
    3: When I booted with memtest on stock fsb, I could get 4883MB/s. When I raised the fsb from 1066 to 1600, without changing anything (P1 & P2 are on Auto and when I double checked they are disabled) the ram did 5861MB/s. That is another reason I need 1.94v instead of 1.9

I definitely made some progress on gtl refs on CPU.
    Last edited by Cibic; 03-11-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Xtreme Member

My Vdimm (memory voltage right?) is set to manufacturer specs which are 1.9V 1600MHz, 7-7-7-20, it should be stable at those settings. On a smaller overclock I had the Vdimm set to 1.86V while still remaining stable, I only put it back up to 1.9V to stay within specs.
    What's the rule of thumb/a good voltage to start with for nb gtl? Should I then raise it higher or lower? Is there a maximum one shouldn't go over?
    I used to think the same, that's why I have been clocking for a year with no success, until yesterday. When overclocking the first thing that's holding you back is the values you say you will keep untouched.

It seems that raising the fsb above cpu designed makes your northbridge run faster of course, so it demands more of your memory. If you are not raising the pci express busses or MCH SPP freqs, the maximum you want to keep your SB would be on 1.6 unless u go over 500 FSB (2000).
    The thing with Vista is when you copy files to an external storage such as usb, requires a lot of memory, its the thing about vdimm.
    See my previous post for details.
    Last edited by Cibic; 06-15-2010 at 06:12 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hum I'll give it a go, see if it helps. You also mention disabling loadline calibration, would that not also mean having to raise CPU Voltages? Because it's already set to 1.4V in BIOS (1.36V in CPU-Z) and I can't really afford to raise it any higher for 24/7 use :/ (Water cooled but can reach mid 60s under load).

Xtreme Member

Hum I'll give it a go, see if it helps. You also mention disabling loadline calibration, would that not also mean having to raise CPU Voltages? Because it's already set to 1.4V in BIOS (1.36V in CPU-Z) and I can't really afford to raise it any higher for 24/7 use :/ (Water cooled but can reach mid 60s under load).
    I have been following this guide http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3283&p=1 quite helpful in my opinion.

My latest discovery is if you are sure you have you cpu 100% stable (prime95 small fft's at least 4 hours) then run your ram one notch higher than stock (vdimm) then test with prime95 blend, if it freezes, increase NB voltage, mine runs fine at 1800FSB on 1.6 actual. and 1900FSB with 1.65 actual.
    Auto on all GTL refs seems the easiest and most stable option to me.
    Bear in mind anandtech applied ceramic paste on NB and SB, they found that over the suggested it gets really hot and leads to instability. Even with liquid cooling, I wouldn't go over 1.7 actual.
    PLL would be fine at 1.58v til 1900FSB at least with q6600 VID 1.26.

On LLC, I see what you mean; I was thinking the same thing not long ago.
    If you hit a wall though, you still freeze and you have more than enough voltage on NB and ram then you might consider disabling it, or just check with everest or something similar for NB temps. If you suspect the ram is getting hot, touch it with the back of your hand or your finger (but not with palm skin, its denser there and you might think the temp is fine) and if you can hold with it there for 10 seconds that means is fine. If you can't hold it then consider some airflow on them.
    Watercooled cpu get 60 degrees? What paste did you use? I have mine on 1.55 v ceramic paste air cooled with IFX-14 and the max I get is 66 celcius.

Once I am sure my whole system's stable I use these methods to lower vDimm and vNB:
    Running blend with memtest for windows at the same time shows if ram's unstable
    Vga torture test plus blend again to see how long it will last for the sake of adjusting vNB (usually crashes within an hour)

If you need any help considering MB just let me know.
    Last edited by Cibic; 06-15-2010 at 06:15 AM.

Xtreme Member

One more thing, on ram timings make sure P1 and P2 are on auto, visit corsair's forum for your ram and see what is the default bank (tRC) and tRFC. For instance, (mine) OCZ recommends for maximum capability to set tRC to 50 and tRFC to 110. If you can't find any info on these advanced timings, what you can do is run everything at stock, preferably on auto except vdimm (at 1.9v) and timings (excluding advanced) and NB at (1.44v) and see what the MB set for your ram, then whatever is on auto set it yourself. I think you might get stable timings like that, though on mine it tightens them just a bit.
    All the suggestions I mentioned make huge performance gains and huge instabilities. All of them require more voltage on ram but P1 and P2 requires more vNB. I wouldn't worry about them now though, you can play with them later as long as you make sure you have the most stable settings.
    Last edited by Cibic; 03-11-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Xtreme Member

People, having Loadline Calibration Enabled (or any other vdroop reducer or eliminator) reduces CPU life, CPU needs more voltage and strains system, in my case causes instability in overclocking. Though I had to enable it because I was going over 1.5v.
    Full report here http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3184&p=6

You also mention disabling loadline calibration, would that not also mean having to raise CPU Voltages? Because it's already set to 1.4V in BIOS (1.36V in CPU-Z) and I can't really afford to raise it any higher for 24/7 use :/ (Water cooled but can reach mid 60s under load).
    Having a higher voltage on non cpu use will not raise your temperatures, on load though lets say 1.42 LLC Disabled does less heat from 1.42 LLC Enabled.
    Last edited by Cibic; 02-18-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes but isn't the idea that because of vdroop, with LCC Enabled you can have it set lower than with it disabled?

Enabled: CPU Volts set to 1.4V in Bios, 1.36V in CPU-Z
    Disabled: CPU Volts set to 1.4V in Bios, could dip beneath 1.36V under load and therefore unstable?

That was my understanding of it.Cibic thanks for the awesome reply, hopefully tomorrow evening I'll get some spare time, read over it properly, take some notes and start some intensive testing ^^

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast