Thread: MBP Wireless Problems

MBP Wireless Problems

Hey guys,

I just ordered a MBP a few days ago, and should be here any day now.

I decided to spring for the 17" High resolution glossy display, with 2.6 GHz CPU, and 2GB's of memory. Pretty decent.

I've been trying to figure out if it was really a worthwhile investment, being I've seen quite a few problems on the Apple forums about Airport dropping the connection for N networks and various other ones as well.

Any of you guys know of a fix? Or even how to resolve it?

I'm using a D-Link DGL-4500 router, and it has it's quirks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Plain and simple, wireless N sucks. Its not an issue with the Intel wifi card Apple is using, merely that Wireless N is still not finished and sucks ballz. Stick to Wireless G and be happy. I went through 3 wireles N routers (linksys, netgear and D-link) and found all sucked. Went back to the gamefuel D-link and have not regretted it.

IMO, Apple only put wireless N on the MBP so that they could say they had the latest and greatest stuff.

And if you are wondering if you got a good laptop. Yes, you got a kick ass laptop, so long as you dont break it and it doesnt break. My suggestion is this, get the 3 year apple care warranty, and after 3 years dump the thing and buy another one, because you do NOT want to be stuck with having that repaired out of warranty. A dead mobo is gonna cost you over a thousand dollars for that model.

Hey Brian, thanks for the reply.

I heard the wireless is just poor in general...kind of regardless of band. I'll get the 3 year plan later, when the first year is about to run out. No commitment.

I hope i'll have very little problems with this, as it was quite a hefty price.

Any routers that you do recommend to have little problems with this? I got the DGL-4500 and 4300, and lots of people are having problems with these. So, i'm quite worried still.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think Apple uses Intel based cards. I agree though N standard blows.
    Desktop:
    Antec 300
    Foxcon A7AD-S 790GX
    8GB Gskill PC-1066@5/5/5/12
    PII X940 BE @3.6GHZ
    Sunbeam Core Contact
    2x 640GB in Raid 0+1
    4870 512MB@800/1000
    Vista Business 64bit W/ SP1

Quote Originally Posted by vengance_01 View Post
    I don't think Apple uses Intel based cards. I agree though N standard blows.
    Correct, they use Atheros WiFi modules.
    Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | 2x 4 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | 512 GB Crucial M4 SSD | Zotac Geforce GTX 660 Ti @ 1100 / 1600 MHz | OCZ ModXstream 600 PSU | Coolermaster Elite 120 mITX Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My MBP 15" 2.6 Ghz Penryn works fine on N with my D-Link DIR 655 router -- no drops.

Firmware Version: 1.11
    Hardware Version: A2
    Product Page: DIR-655
    Old Standby:
    DFI LANPARTY nF4 Ultra-D (R.AD0) 623-3 BIOS
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 (CCBWE 0529SPMW)
    THERMALRIGHT XP-90 w/Panaflo FBA09A12H-1AZ 90mm (56.8cfm) - AS Ceramique
    MSI NX6600GT-TD128E GF 6600 GT PCI-E
    WD Raptor 74G Boot, WD 1200JB IDE
    NEC ND-3520AW Black
    OCZ OCZ600ADJ ATX 600W
    ALPS Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model DF354H121F
    Lian Li PC-60USB B2 Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Win XP Pro (32-bit) SP2

Xtreme Addict
    I had to discontinue using Wireless-N because the routers didn't play nice with my gaming consoles via wireless.

I since have gone to everything hard wired. I got tired of wireless troubles. Although I know everyone can't do that and wireless is an only option.

27" iMac
    3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
    8GB DDR3
    1TB HDD + 2TB Ext + 1TB Ext
    ATI HD 4670 256MB

20" iMac
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
    2GB+1GB G.Skill DDR2
    320GB HDD
    ATI HD 2600 Pro 256MB

16GB iPhone 3GS

GamerTag: ugp
    GamerTag: SadisticPuppets

I was hoping that I could be able to use the Wireless N, because I stream a lot of media from my desktop. And it would be quite nice if there wasn't a huge delay either. 54G I guess gets maxed out pretty badly when streaming huge files.

Thanks for the input. I'll give it a try and see what happens. It may end up working, or just completely blow up in my face and force me to use G instead.