Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time travel... is it really possible?

Xtreme Member

Time travel... is it really possible?

I've heard that general relativity predicts that time travel is possible, yet I can't seem to get my head around that concept.

The grandfather paradox is what started it for me.

For the few that don't know the grandfather paradox, it's about going back in time and murdering your grandfather before he conceives your father. Thus you cannot be born and thus you cannot go back in time and murder your grandfather. Paradox.

I can see only 2 ways around the paradox:

1) You don't go back in your own time, but merely in an alternate reality and screw things over there.
    2) The moment you go back in time you "shield" yourself from the changes you make, becoming separated from your timeline.

Either way, there's a problem. You're not going back in time, but rather going back TO a previous time. Why? Because time didn't go back for you. For you time went forward... just the environment changed, like everybody on the planet playing this giant prank on you. I mean... what would be the difference between what we assume to mean going back in time and arranging all of the atoms in the universe to a previous state? None as far as I can see. In both cases the environment becomes identical to that of a previous state, but to you time still goes forward. You are in the year 2008, you turn the time machine on and one second later you are in what appears to be 1950.

My question is this: how can general relativity prove that time travel is possible when in essence time still goes forward for the observer, the traveler?

What are your thoughts on the subject? What would you do if given the opportunity to travel through time? What if you could do it only once? What if you couldn't return to your time? What if you could do it at will?

If I could do it only once and/or couldn't return I'd try and make the most money out of it in the shortest amount of time. Either short Lehman stock or win the lottery.
    But if I could do it at will... then I'd have a little fun. Probably screw things up pretty good.

Generalizations are, in general, wrong.

Attack Dachshund
    here's a video from one of the guy's that's always on "The Universe" talking about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X02WM...eature=related

Xtreme Member
    With our current theories, forward time travel (in the future) is possible and has been measured (and the results are according to the theory), but time travel in the past is is impossible.
    However, we don't know if the current theories are completely true. Newtonian mechanics was considered true until it was noticed that it fails in extreme conditions(atomic scale, speeds comparable with c and so on).
    PC: none at the moment
    Lappy: Dell Latitude D520
    CPU: Core Duo T2300E 1.66GHz
    RAM: 1 Gb generic
    VGA: Intel 950 gma
    HDD: 60 GB Hitachi 5400 rpm + 250 GB Phillips external
    Mouse: Razer Lachesis
    Mousepad: Razer Mantis
    Headphones: AKG K701 + LittleDot MK II + Behringer U Control UCA202
    OSes: Fedora 9 - work || XP-games (only DOTA)
    Additional cooling: seated on cigarette packs with custom made USB powered fan

It is
    Time travel is easy....just take the next flight to Australia, and you have done it. ( That's traveling into the future for you. )
    ~Opinion about Dogs~~~~~~~Hug~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~

requires faster than light travel which is theoretically impossible....but then our understanding of the universe is puny and limited (i can only speculate at the vastness of the unknown)

as a mass approaches the speed of light it's mass increases exponentially..according to einsteins rules....and yet time travel is possible according to einsteins relativity theory

paradoxes that could occur if time travel is possible...well, the alternate reality idea is as good as any, and just as unproveable.

but remember, whatever you do, DONT GIVE BIFF THE SPORTS ALMANAC!

as for the grandfather paradox; perhaps reality would just change around the traveller to reflect the 'new' space-time events...by which i mean if you killed your own grandfather you would instantly cease to exist as space-time alters around you to reflect the new altered 'version' of space-time...."Stargate Continuum" shows this kind of possibility....lots of different sci-fi views on time travel.

Isaac Asimov was writing sci-fi stories about infinite alternate realities ("infinities" he called them) and time travel back in the 50's/60's.

perhaps the only way to travel beyond or outside of space-time is by leaving one reality and entering another. We are bound as objects in space-time, i think, and we can travel forward either faster or slower than other objects in a relative manner, but as for going backwards in time, relative to other objects in the same space-time "continuum" - i dont think it is possible.
    Last edited by adamsleath; 09-17-2008 at 03:45 AM.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Attack Dachshund
    at least not until we can harness the power needed to create worm holes... it's theorized that the power needed to produce such an event is equivalent to all the energy stored in a star, and releasing all at once.. so even if we reach a point where we can produce large amounts of anti matter, the possibility of producing enough power for such an event is impossible for anything in the near future. not to mention even if we could ever store enough energy for an event like that, would you even want to be in the same star system when it happened... talk about blowing ourselves up.. that makes the atom bomb look like a snap crackle pop from this moorning's bowl of rice crispies.

If time travel were possible, there are a few things I've done that I want to go back and correct
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    If time travel were possible, there are a few things I've done that I want to go back and correct
    You will never time travel. If you ever time traveled and went back in time to fix those problems you would not be mentioning them now because they never happened. If the past was changed, we would not remember it.

i think with a flux capacitor anything is possible

Quote Originally Posted by kuhla View Post
    You will never time travel. If you ever time traveled and went back in time to fix those problems you would not be mentioning them now because they never happened. If the past was changed, we would not remember it.
    I know.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Attack Dachshund
    time dilation and time travel are different concepts....

anyone who's smoked a spliff has experienced time dilation

Xtreme Mentor
    The question is unanswerable. We simply do not know enough about the universe. Asking humanity to decipher the concept of time travel, is like asking a monkey to to land a Chinook helicopter on the back of an aircraft carrier, in a hurricane, with no hands, while blindfolded.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Addict
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by tomashcraft View Post
    i think with a flux capacitor anything is possible
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Mentor
    It IS possible, BUT it would defy many laws.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
    The question is unanswerable. We simply do not know enough about the universe. Asking humanity to decipher the concept of time travel, is like asking a monkey to to land a Chinook helicopter on the back of an aircraft carrier, in a hurricane, with no hands, while blindfolded.
    The thing is with the right training and alot of luck that could happen so with a lot of research and a hell of a lot of luck we might just do it hell look where we have gotten in the past 100 years whos to say Now that in the future time travel is impossible? Who knows some one from 10,000 years in the future could come back in time and give us the knowledge to build a time machine now. Yet another paradox
    I crunch for you Gramps R.I.P.
    Photo:
    Canon T2i(550d) w/ Magic Lantern
    Canon 20mm F/2.8
    Canon 50mm F/1.8
    Canon 70-200mm F/4L
    C&C is always welcome on my photos.

PC
    Asus Crosshair IV Forumla, AMD 1090t-Crunching away @4.1ghz, Noctua NH-U12P SE2,4x2 Musikin Silverline's, Sapphire 6950 2gb(flashed to 6970 and running at 950/1450), Corsair HX650, NZXT Tempest.
    http://500px.com/KodyHungenberg

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    The thing is with the right training and alot of luck that could happen so with a lot of research and a hell of a lot of luck we might just do it hell look where we have gotten in the past 100 years whos to say Now that in the future time travel is impossible? Who knows some one from 10,000 years in the future could come back in time and give us the knowledge to build a time machine now. Yet another paradox
    Exactly. If time travel is indeed possible, it is realistic to think of it as achievable by an intelligent species such as ourselves; however, even if possible, with our currently feeble understanding of the universe, it is far beyond us.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

c[_]
    Possible? Nah.

Speed of light related to it? Nope.

Relativity really relative? Not likely.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

If time travel is possible, where are all the tourists from the future?

Skippy

Xtreme Member
    as has already been said its unlikely that time travel into the past is possible due to the resultant paradoxes and lack of visitors from the future. But there is no reason to believe that time travel into the future is impossible, its just that once you got there you might be stuck.
    3570K @ 4.5GHz w/ EK Supreme HF
    ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE
    MSI OC 7970 w/ XSPC razor
    8GB DDR3 1600
    64 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD
    Fractal design Arc Midi w/ internal 3x140 SR1 rad

Muslim Overclocker
    If time travel was possible for humans, it would mean that every second of every day from the beginning of time till the end of time is constantly repeated forever, and anyone living in any giving second maybe able to travel to any of those seconds, therefore affecting the future in that travel, and affecting the past, which then affects the current situation which affects the future.. which makes it impossible.

People can dream, which is why I am going to sleep right now.

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Possible? Nah.

Speed of light related to it? Nope.

Relativity really relative? Not likely.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy1729 View Post
    If time travel is possible, where are all the tourists from the future?

Skippy
    In the ufo's people have been reporting for centuries.... those are time tourists.
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Well if time travel is possible, i guess collecting lotto winning numbers and best stock woun´t be a bad idea. I will Like to travel say from 2030 to 2007 to win 30,000,000 euro in lotto. Well Just like our forefathers thought that flying to the moon is impossible, time travel will happen when we find the way around it. I trust humans at solving unknown issues.

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Time dilation and space flight

Time dilation would make it possible for passengers in a fast-moving vehicle to travel further into the future while aging very little, in that their great speed retards the rate of passage of on-board time. That is, the ship's clock (and according to relativity, any human traveling with it) shows less elapsed time than the clocks of observers on Earth. For sufficiently high speeds the effect is dramatic. For example, one year of travel might correspond to ten years at home. Indeed, a constant 1 g acceleration would permit humans to travel as far as light has been able to travel since the big bang (some 13.7 billion light years) in one human lifetime. The space travelers could return to Earth billions of years in the future. A scenario based on this idea was presented in the novel Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle.

A more likely use of this effect would be to enable humans to travel to nearby stars without spending their entire lives aboard the ship. However, any such application of time dilation would require the use of some new, advanced method of propulsion. A further problem with relativistic travel is that at such velocities dispersed particles in the rarefied interstellar medium would turn into a stream of high-energy cosmic rays that would destroy the ship unless extraordinary radiation protection measures were taken. Strong electromagnetic fields that could ionize and deflect any interstellar matter has been suggested as one way to avoid these potentially disastrous consequences.

Current space flight technology has fundamental theoretical limits based on the practical problem that an increasing amount of energy is required for propulsion as a craft approaches the speed of light. The likelihood of collision with small space debris and other particulate material is another practical limitation. At the velocities presently attained, however, time dilation is not a factor in space travel. Travel to regions of space-time where gravitational time dilation is taking place, such as within the gravitational field of a black hole but outside the event horizon (perhaps on a hyperbolic trajectory exiting the field), could also yield results consistent with present theory.
    Heatware

Main
    intel i5 3570k @ 4+ GHz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.1 |Crucial Ballistix Tactical VLP 2x8GB DDR3-1600
    intel 335 240GB SSD | WD Black 640GB HDD
    Sapphire AMD 7870XT 2GB w-Boost (Tahiti LE)
    Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-e

HTPC
    AMD FX 6300 Vishera | ASRock 970 Extreme 3 | Kingston HyperX Black 2x4GB DDR3-1600
    intel 320 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 640GB HDD
    AMD Visiontek HD7850 2GB
    Dlink DWA-556 Wireless N Adapter

Tablet
    Lenovo IdeaTab A2109 - Running rooted J-Bean & ADW

Quote Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post

but remember, whatever you do, DONT GIVE BIFF THE SPORTS ALMANAC!
    HEY!

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
    Time dilation and space flight

Time dilation would make it possible for passengers in a fast-moving vehicle to travel further into the future while aging very little, in that their great speed retards the rate of passage of on-board time. That is, the ship's clock (and according to relativity, any human traveling with it) shows less elapsed time than the clocks of observers on Earth. For sufficiently high speeds the effect is dramatic. For example, one year of travel might correspond to ten years at home. Indeed, a constant 1 g acceleration would permit humans to travel as far as light has been able to travel since the big bang (some 13.7 billion light years) in one human lifetime. The space travelers could return to Earth billions of years in the future. A scenario based on this idea was presented in the novel Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle.

A more likely use of this effect would be to enable humans to travel to nearby stars without spending their entire lives aboard the ship. However, any such application of time dilation would require the use of some new, advanced method of propulsion. A further problem with relativistic travel is that at such velocities dispersed particles in the rarefied interstellar medium would turn into a stream of high-energy cosmic rays that would destroy the ship unless extraordinary radiation protection measures were taken. Strong electromagnetic fields that could ionize and deflect any interstellar matter has been suggested as one way to avoid these potentially disastrous consequences.

Current space flight technology has fundamental theoretical limits based on the practical problem that an increasing amount of energy is required for propulsion as a craft approaches the speed of light. The likelihood of collision with small space debris and other particulate material is another practical limitation. At the velocities presently attained, however, time dilation is not a factor in space travel. Travel to regions of space-time where gravitational time dilation is taking place, such as within the gravitational field of a black hole but outside the event horizon (perhaps on a hyperbolic trajectory exiting the field), could also yield results consistent with present theory.
    I think this is a misunderstanding. At a given time x and y exist in their respective places. If you move one very quickly (approaching "the speed of light") then each must still exist in their respective places given that they are physical matter. If they happened to overlap in their journey then one or the other must not be matter in order to occupy the same space at the same time.

Think of it as shooting an arrow (y) at "the speed of light" and it passing through your head (x). Given what the theory shows both the arrow and your head must be capable of occupying the same space at one time without damage to the other if time travel is possible due to speed.

Now, energy and matter occupying the same space at a given time might be a different issue all together....

Also to add to my previous post:

Reality relative? no.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast