Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: ACARD RAM Disk 9010 series

HyperDrive4...

Bought a HD4 on eBay about two monts ago. Kinda neat to compare it to the 9010's. Two tiny, noisy little fans; 16GB of ECC DDR-400; a single ATA133 and/or the SATA-150 port. Transfer rates about 110-120MB sec. Still ok for my video encoding scratch drive.

Xtreme Member
    If you have the money, the Acard / Hyperdrive is undoubtedly THE storage solution for the enthusiast.
    Forget about SSDs and HDDs !

Mostly saying this because RAM has no write cycle limits.
    Sure you may be fine and enjoying even faster speeds than the acard can provide with your MAX IOPS Vertex 3 SSD but NAND does not have unlimited writes.

If NAND was unlimited writes and completely erase any and all info in a sec by disconnecting power ( except maybe freeze ram attack types ) then I would consider it but for now the acard is the best option for me.
    Last edited by bulanula; 05-01-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmaciv View Post
    From what I can tell, it's a 9010B with the 9010's added memory slots, i.e. single SATA port with the ability to support 8 memory sticks (vs. 6).
    Can confirm this, I have both 9010A and BA, same performance.
    Tora! Tora! Tora!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WangChung View Post
    Any new SATA\6Gb info?
    Over a year later, why not give another bump

I am Xtreme
    A SATA 6Gbps + DDR3 version would be insane. 8GB DDR3 sticks are only $50 bucks now. If one of these shows up I'd be all over it for a boot drive.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I also waiting for a Update Sata3 DDr3 Version please !!

www.ocaholic.ch

Xtreme Cruncher
    As an owner of several Acard RAM drives I will say that I highly doubt that a new version will be seen. If these had been manufactured before SSD(say.. 2003), they would have taken the market by storm. It would have begun an evolution in "hard disk" storage. Unfortunately, when you look at the cost of the drive + ram and the future of SSD ramdrives aren't looking so good. Despite their infinite write endurance, companies interested in using ram drives can always purchase a machine with much much more ram than these drives can handle.

Their future is grim. I have some hope to see more, but they will not be cost effective, and will have virtually no market for them at all aside from enthusiasts that want bragging rights. Companies don't buy 5.25" ram drives. Companies interested in buying ram drives buy those fiberchannel 1.7TB rack mountable kits. By today's standard, even 32GB isn't much. Some systems come with that much, or more. Even now, you can spend money on 32GB of ramdrive, or buy how many Intel SSDs that exceed that capacity and roughly the same speed? Ramdrives are a market only for the biggest corporations unfortunately

Xtreme Addict
    I think the issue is the cost of controllers here. 4-8DIMMs is probably easy, but anything more might require more complex (expensive) R&D on the Mfg part, hence why we didn't see any
    Plus, with the SATA being the bottleneck for these, can you see any point over SSDs? You wouldn't keep a database on them, because of volatility, so endurance is, IMO, a moot (sp?) point.
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Just an update after a few years... I now have 5 x ANS-9010 w/32GB each, 3 x RAID0 on ICH ports (6 channels), and one RAID0 on JMicron onboard controller. I also have a Hyperdrive 4 16GB on a single channel card, non-raid. Waiting for an X99 motherboard for Intel native 10 channel SATA to go 4 x ANS-9010 RAID0 on ICH ports (8 channel) (128GB), 1 x ANS-9010 RADI0 in remaining two ICH ports (32GB), and my two Hyperdrive4 16GB RAID0 for 32GB on stand alone card. What fun!

I know it makes no sense but I love the drives and they are GREAT for scratch drives for video work. I have been very lucky and gotten almost all of the RAM for a pittance (it takes a lot of time and patience to wait for those deals on ebay).

Wish these things had matured into even faster versions...

Wade

RAIDer
    Just an update after a few years... I now have 5 x ANS-9010 w/32GB each, 3 x RAID0 on ICH ports (6 channels), and one RAID0 on JMicron onboard controller. I also have a Hyperdrive 4 16GB on a single channel card, non-raid. Waiting for an X99 motherboard for Intel native 10 channel SATA to go 4 x ANS-9010 RAID0 on ICH ports (8 channel) (128GB), 1 x ANS-9010 RADI0 in remaining two ICH ports (32GB), and my two Hyperdrive4 16GB RAID0 for 32GB on stand alone card. What fun!

I know it makes no sense but I love the drives and they are GREAT for scratch drives for video work. I have been very lucky and gotten almost all of the RAM for a pittance (it takes a lot of time and patience to wait for those deals on ebay).

Wade
    What about using the Acards with the new Areca 1883 ?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Wade

What is your current speed in e.g. AS-SSD with these ?

ANS-9010 ICH10 MSI P55-CD53 I5-760 @ 3.8GHz (19x2000)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ANS-9010_RADI0_ICH10_1.PNG 
Views:	135 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	131948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	as-ssd-bench Intel Raid 0 Vol 2014-04-20 06-47-56.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	131949

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112