Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick heads up on what OCZ will soon launch

the jedi master
    Its taken an age to get this manufactured and there are still 3 tiny issues i need to sort out.
    1 is the foam gasket is missing from the universal backplate, the other is adding 4 2mm thick washers to space this back plat off the board and hold it more rigid. Trust me that i will get this organised in a day or so so this should not hold up anything.

The last isssue is the small manual with the block states the top is clear polycarbonate, this has now changed but the manual does not reflect the change. The top is now made from a very strong Nylon and is black in color, we spec'd this material as it has better properties that Acetal (Delrin)

We are also looking at a Nahelem hold down plate for those who adopt the new platform, I will have details this week i hope on this. I am also thinking of a new base that may suit Nahelem better although until I test it I will know know if its needed. At this time the raised base suits Core2, it works well with Phenom etc also although the footprint was tuned for Core2. I saw no difference using a fully flat base or the raised base on AMD CPU's so this is nothing really to worry about...hence why I doubt it will be needed for Nahelem. Tests will show me though.

I have 5 brand new units here, I am looking for a review on these units. I do need to add the washers and fabricate the foam spacer for the Universal backplate but I doubt this bothers you guys on here to much

The block comes with a full hold down kit and 2x3/8 - 2x1/2 high flow barbs G1/4. 2 backplates and a spare hold down plate for AMD cpu's. As i said earlier i have just requested a Nahelem hold down plate also and once we move to the next block production run the 775 plate will become universal for Nahelem also.

This Pic shows the block mounted on a board.

Internal pics:

These internal pics are from an older prototype with a clear polycarbonate top. I did this so you can see how the block fits together.

Some notes on the mounting.

The design of the mounting applies 55LBs of pressure on the CPU, this was done to conform to specifications laid down by Intel. if you want more pressure just add a 1mm thick washer between the spring and the hold down plate on top of the block...this will up the pressure to around 75LBs. Adding 2mm will push you to 100LBs (Intels max is 72lbs)

I usually run 4x1mm washer for 75LBs which is just over the Intel stated max, this gained me a 1to 1.5C drop in load temps.

Im not looking for amateur reviews here, I would like to see a thorough test as i know this is what most expect on XS. I am making no claims as to how this block performs, its quite restrictive and uses a cross hatch cut with a raised base to perform. I have compared it to competitors blocks but that's my internal tests, but I will say it did compete ok.

OCZ are not looking to win here, we are looking to compete. I plan on porting this design to VGA also and maybe chipset also. This is just the start for us, radiators are planned along with pumps also.

So i was thinking of 2 units being made available to XS members for review. i can ship here from the UK (once i add a foam gasket and source some washers)

Martin was my no1 choice but I hear he has calmed down his testing, if you feel you can step up to the plate and match his expertise then drop me a PM linking me to your work.

More pics here : http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/st...Retail%20HF01/

A note to all, The design is done, I have hundreds of these blocks sat waiting to ship from our Asian Office. No changes apart from adding the foam and washers will be made or can be made. What you see is what you will get. If you suggest changes I will look but you will get no answers, im not looking to change the design im looking to get these blocks in the stores ASAP.

Nahalem hold down is planned already, I know what is needed.
    Last edited by Tony; 09-15-2008 at 07:59 AM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    My 2 cents, ask mcoffey.. respected and knows his stuff.

LOL, was writing while mcoffey was posting..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    everyone tries to have a slice of the watercooling pie

can't wait for the results
    }{ my photoBLOG

Canon 5D | Canon 17-40 F4L | Canon 135 F2L | Sigma 70 F2.8 EX Macro | Manfrotto CXPRO4 | Markins Q3 | Lee filters

the jedi master
    I have been pushing to get this to market for 12 months, I showed pics 11 months ago but its taken an age to get this manufactured.

So we are late with this, thats all
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

I'll be very interested in the results.

Xtreme Member
    any chance for internal pics?

the jedi master
    From me...no, reviewers...if they must. You can see inside the block if you brows the FTP folder though. The design is crosshatch, Nylon top sits tight on the copper so water has to flow thru.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Quote Originally Posted by RealRedRaider View Post
    Internal pics please. The internal design is important to a buyers decision.
    Personally I don't care what the internals look like. Performance and restriction amount is what counts.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Personally I don't care what the internals look like. Performance and restriction amount is what counts.
    I quoted this block is restrictive, weak pumps do not play well.

D5, DDC, Jingways 1200 (OCZ will sell this also soon I hope) all suit this block just fine.We have tests showing 2 blocks and 2VGA full cover blocks on a good pump show good performance. Weaker pumps do ok but not quite as well.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRedRaider View Post
    Internal pics please. The internal design is important to a buyers decision.
    guts shots posted
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Addict
    i remember seeing this block a LONG time ago, nice to see it coming to market now.
    looks interesting, im also interested to see how well the set does

Memory Addict
    nice... Tony will you be testing one of these on your TEC/chiller box ? the nylon top withstand chilled temps ?
    ---

the jedi master
    The Nylon top was better for chilling than the Delrin, i will check again on specs ( I think it was -15C for the nylon)
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Looks good! Can't wait to see some results.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I quoted this block is restrictive, weak pumps do not play well.

D5, DDC, Jingways 1200 (OCZ will sell this also soon I hope) all suit this block just fine.We have tests showing 2 blocks and 2VGA full cover blocks on a good pump show good performance. Weaker pumps do ok but not quite as well.
    From the looks of it, it can't be too bad. More restrictive than the fuzion for sure (but then the fuzion is a flow master) but looks like it should be less than the EK supreme.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

the jedi master
    It is more restrictive than the Fusion, a friend here who tested earlier prototypes compared and confirmed this to me.

With nozzles, I have no idea though
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

I am Xtreme
    Meh, looks like it'll be an average performer. I say this knowing how deceptive photo's can be but I can't help but notice how similar the pins are to the original Apogee in both size and quantity. This blocks only saving grace may be the step which may bring the performance in line with maybe the Apogee GTX.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

the jedi master
    Meh, looks like it'll be an average performer
    LOL here we go. just by looks its only average....

http://www.kobaltcomputers.co.uk/for...hread.php?t=43

OCZ HYDROFLOW

Initial results suggest that the OCZ block outperforms the D-TEK! At idle it's OCZ @ 30C and D-TEK @ 32C. This is CPU only in the loop. Under load there is less of a difference, hitting 39C (OCZ) and 40C (D-TEK) during wPrime runs. I did notice that the OCZ block seems to be more restrictive than the D-TEK, this was noticeable even in the ammount of turbalence in the res. Wether this will affect performance with a full loop is yet to be seen. With one card in the loop the results were again 2-0 to the OCZ though.
    Neil's tests were with an early prototype, just the top material changed from Polycarbonate to Nylon
    Last edited by Tony; 09-15-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    LOL here we go. just by looks its only average....

http://www.kobaltcomputers.co.uk/for...hread.php?t=43

Neil's tests were with an early prototype, just the top material changed from Polycarbonate to Nylon
    Thanks for confirming. Review made no mention of a nozzle in the Fuzion and IIRC, the Apogee GTX beat the stock Fuzion by the same margin when it was bowed..
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

the jedi master
    If it did not compete I would have killed the project

Im a firm believer in KIS

Keep It Simple

Just because its not fancy lookin does not mean its crap

Plus we did not want to place another block in Amualire's hands like everyone else has
    Last edited by Tony; 09-15-2008 at 09:13 AM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Member
    what will these be going for?
    seems $60-69 is the average for new blocks these days.
    but as always it'd be awesome if it was cheaper
    and will the clear top be an option or was that just pre-pre production design?
    ---
    also the design looks great, like tony said, nice and simple
    really looking forward to chipset and gfx blocks too/pumps and rads as well
    always fun to see a new contender with a full line of products
    Last edited by geoffsthaboss; 09-15-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm looking forward to some performance on this pump... be nice to have a new contender vs all the D5/DDC stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice Mounting hardware. The standoffs screw into the backplate and that holds it, then all you have to do is screw the spring screws in. Don't need 2 sets of hands.

Banned
    looks very nice But, I am not sold... yet

Xtreme Addict
    what kind of nylon is it? do you have a link or more info or is it top secret? the mounting bracket looks interesting too.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast