Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: Cosmos S WC; Quadfire - 56k Puke

This RIG is a dream!
    I will follow this...
    2500K + TRUE Black || P67 Extreme 6 || GTX 560Ti || 2x4GB Sniper || Corsair Force GT || Audigy 2 ZS || X500FX || HX850W || Edifier C2 || U2410 || G500 + eXactMat || Illuminated || Steelseries Siberia Black

Nice pictures there m8 (especially in post #7)! Go on with yr work ^^

q6600 g0 @ 2.7 - H50 @ p12, p14 push-pull
    p5q premium rev. A2 bios 1611
    4x1G ocz reapers @ 400
    g92b 512Mb
    2xWD1500HLFS raid0 16Kb ich10r
    1xST 1Tb 340NS
    1xST 1.5Tb 341AS
    2xWD20EADS

Xtreme Addict
    Looking good as expected.

PSU still sucks. :lol

Xtreme Enthusiast
    love the pics. wow, this is your first attempt at sleeving? - nice job, downright inspirational!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so. Douglas Adams
    QX9650 @ 3825mhz CoolIT FZone
    2x HD3870X2 @ 845/946mhz air
    Asus Maximus Formula 0907
    2x2048mb OCZ Reaper 8500
    2x Raptor 150G Raid0; 'Cuda 1000G
    1200W Thermaltake
    xFi Extreme Gamer/ Z-5500
    Vista Ult. 64
    Cosmos 1000
    30" NEC

Quote Originally Posted by TedShred View Post
    love the pics. wow, this is your first attempt at sleeving? - nice job, downright inspirational!

Thank you! The sleeving is actually really addictive, once you start, it's hard to stop. Now I can't stand a single exposed cable, it's getting out of hand but will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jas420221 View Post
    Looking good as expected.

PSU still sucks. :lol
    Yeah yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Looking forward to your progress.

When you did the nylon washer trick did you just add the washers or did you completely remove the heatsink assembly reapply the thermal compound and reassemble? I ask b/c my NB temps are not bad at 1.48v. Temps top out at around 49-51c under load. I'm thinking about simply adding the washers to see if the additional pressure will provide better contact and temps without removing the whole assembly.
    I did all this when I had the stock heating completely disassembled, made the most sense, obviously. Once off, I de-goo'd all the copper and contacts and re-applied Arctic Silver and reset everything. When it came time to replace the screws, I added the nylon washers. I can't take credit for this mod idea. It's based off the Heat and Acoustical testing review. They clearly show the difference this little mod makes, and drop temps down to 32c in some cases, a big difference from your normal 49 - 51c temps, which are average.

They also suggest the Fusion block is a solid performer but I've had it with the 1/4" barbs. Too much compression and too many potential leak points. Which is why I went for the Swiftech replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by allig4t0r View Post
    Nice pictures there m8 (especially in post #7)! Go on with yr work ^^

Thank you! It takes a lot of time to stop and take pictures all the time, hard NOT to get carried away but I'm trying to include the kinds of pictures *I* have been looking for, the real detailed close-ups that I wished I had so many times before! Look forward to more!!!

So at this point, the split Fusion tubing has broken me down, I won't use it and have opted for the Swiftech replacement. I could easily replace the tubing from supplies at a local Pet shop but too many potential leaks points and it's just not worth the risk. Aesthetics are horrible, as well. I don't want my rig to look like a hot babe with a great smile - wearing braces.

Ordered this and a few other toys I needed:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcnoco.html

Currently out of stock but according to an email I have from SideWinder:

I just wanted to give you an update on your order as you may have noticed one part was out of stock. The ETA on the new Swiftech MCW-NBMax northbridge cooler is this Thursday. We'll ship your order as soon as UPS shows up with our stock. The other items on your order are in stock.
    Thank you again
    Gary Stofer
    Sidewinder Computer Systems
    It will be here Friday - until then, doing some additional modding, sleeving and more prep work - especially on the custom backplate - anyone with a Rampage Extreme knows (by now) about the fat Fujitsu problem, I think my fix will be an awesome solution, even better than the Crossbow option.

I'll post a more detailed update tomorrow, lots more exciting stuff coming. Stay tuned and thanks for all the support and comments.
    Last edited by Captain Zero; 09-15-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    WE WANT PICS! this thread is useless w/o pics.
    Corsair Obsidian 650D - EVGA P67 FTW - Samsung F3 1Tb - 8Gb A-Data cheapest crap DDR3 - Intel Core i5 2500K w/ Corsair H50 - EVGA GTX 295 co-op - Corsair AX650

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by pcaddict View Post
    Posts 1, 4, 7, 18, and 19 arent enough?
    Last edited by jas420221; 09-16-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nope.
    Corsair Obsidian 650D - EVGA P67 FTW - Samsung F3 1Tb - 8Gb A-Data cheapest crap DDR3 - Intel Core i5 2500K w/ Corsair H50 - EVGA GTX 295 co-op - Corsair AX650

Quote Originally Posted by pcaddict View Post
    Useless? Well that hurts. I'm working on it, for now, it's somewhat on hold until the parts from Sidewinder arrive. As I said, I'm doing minor mods for now, but I can and will post updates - with pictures, when I'm damn good and ready.

This stuff takes time, patience, my friend...

congrats for the job and for the computer, is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by SxL View Post
    congrats for the job and for the computer, is amazing!
    Thank you!

Gary @ Sidewinder is a king. I called, got him on the phone right away, and was able to change the shipping dates for the 3x rad and the NB block, it will ship Thursday and get over-night'd to me in time for Friday. w00t!
    Last edited by Captain Zero; 09-16-2008 at 03:51 PM.

Xtreme Member
    nice work captain zero.
    im surprised you bothered with the fuzion block, personally i took one look at it and didnt think it was worth restricting the loop. i used the passive block with ventilation instead.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    5000$ even my skulltrail system didnt cost that much

sry 4 my english

Finally. My 3x Rad and NB Block to replace my Fusion have arrived, a day late but all in one piece and still much sooner then originally planned.

It will be an early start on wrapping on this build, it *must* be 80-90% built by end of the day tomorrow. The next few days will be for monitoring, tweaks and benchmarks.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah just one thing - those cheap plastic barbs that ASUS supplies with their motherboards are crap... Mine worked for about a month, then when I was gaming, I happened to look over and see a nice little puddle of water on my 3870. Those things are CRAP so I bought a few bitspower barbs...

Awesome build though - one of the top 5 I've ever seen!
    i7 860 @ 4.2Ghz | ASUS Maximus III Formula | 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 | ATi 5970 | 3x WD Raptor X HDD's | NZXT Khaos Case | Corsair 1000w PSU | Swiftech H20 Cooling CPU | Windows 7 x64 | Sony Bravia 52" LCD Display

3DMark06 Score - 20k Club | Youtube Account

Xtreme Mentor
    moar!!!
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Installed: The new MCW-NBMAX NB block and the 3x rad:

The good and the ugly:

Ready to roll:

The whole setup, ready to fill with distilled and isopropyl for a good cleaning:

My baby likes to hold my hose

Barbs, Tubing AND Clamps on NB Block...

The New MCW-NBMAX, TUBED!

The GT Apogee CPU Block:

Running on Empty:

Plop-Plop, Fizz-Fizz..:

The loop's done and in the process of being run. It's been going for a few hours with no sign of trouble but I'll let it run for a few more. In the meantime, I'll prep the rest of the components.

Enough pictures for you guys?

Stay tuned, I'll include some video in upcoming posts.

Update:

Checking on the loop, my little girl approves.

Last edited by Captain Zero; 09-21-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Banned
    wow if you dont mind me saying so....your rig is hot! subscribed!

EDIT wait a minute that looks like my wife!!! you 2 timin sonofa....

Xtreme Enthusiast

I knew it....

...ViperJohn makes the MCW-NBMAX NB block for Swiftech. Good for him!

Nice pics! Let's see it mounted.
    Intel Xeon 3520 | eVGA Classified E759, GTX-285 SSC Tri-SLI | Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz 7-8-7-20 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | Intel 160GB X25-MG2 x 2, WDC 1TB Green Storage | Watercool HK 3.0, GPU-X² GTX285, MO-RA 2 Pro | Mips Chipset Kühler | Dual Laing 18w DDC+ | Corsair HX1000 | murderMod TJ07 #007 | Dell 3008WFP | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

Xtreme Member
    Subscribed, cant wait to see the outcome!

kraifect@xtremesystems:~
    Couldn't have done it without you guys

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Subscribed!

• i7 920 D0 // eVGA X58 SLI // 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws // HD6950 (6970 BIOS)
    • Apogee XT // MCP655 // Thermochill PA120.3 // CM HAF 932
    • OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition // ASUS Xonar DX // Corsair TX850
    • HTC Incredible - Uber Kingdom Revolution ROM

Update - Major:

The loop's running in the sink, the final run, complete with my own brew for the coolant. More on that shortly, it will run for another hour before I install it into the case. Everything else is set to go and I'm installing it TONIGHT!

Need to back up a bit first though, since I've been asked about this...

The Intel CPU fan mod I made for the back plate was quite a cool mod and I did document how it was done, but I didn't go into enough detail it seems - but I'll share what I discovered and how it was done.

Had a little help from the father in-law. Now this guy is a mechanical genius, can basically build anything, even offered to build a replacement NB block from a copper ingot - complete with 1mm fins and 3/8" barbs. In the end, it's easier to pop the $50 for the Swiftech. Besides, I need to give him something more challenging.

He does special effects for movies, builds the coolest props ever - even gave me this 'Crew Only' hat from his last film!

So this mod had help and I gotta give mad props to Jeff K at KOW fx, he even has his own IMDB page heh. Thanks pops.

The End Result:

For those not aware, the Extreme comes with a fat Fujitsu chip directly on the back-side of the board beneath the CPU (go back a few posts for details on that).

Here's the fan, stock CPU comes with most (if not all) quads.

Remember this thing?

At first, I wasn't sure how this was all held together. Using metal fatigue, I would wiggle the fins apart and separate them from the core.

A half hour later...:

An hour later...:

This process sucked and it turns out, there's a much easier way to get this fins off - I found out the hard way but at least it's recyclable:

So here's what's left, no fins:

Upon close examination, it seems this cylinder in under pressure!

Sure enough, when the top 'nipple' came off, the gas came out:

Erm, hope it's not noxious. If anyone know what's in there, let me know!

Let's cut it open!

A Hacksaw should do it!

Not going anywhere:

A little more hacking:

What the..?

The Interior has a really odd finish:

Another View:

Capped Core:

Ok, let's clean it up a bit

Dripping Solder is Good:

Much Better:

It's a little tall. Time to cut it down to size. Sharpie FTW!

Once more on the hacking block:

Cut down to size!

Just what I wanted:

A little Dremel Duty will clean up some rough edges:

The Finished Product - A Perfect Fit:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    that's a lot of work for a backplate.. why not just buy the Xigmatek one, for like 5$

very cool none the less
    "fightoffyourdemons"

thats alot of work for a back plate (nice looking though), but it looks like a nice little ghetto dice pot, i think that ill do it to one of those

whats the easier way to get the fins off pike the pin the heat it up to melt the solder

and how will it work with the copper piece, wont that intefear with mounting and the fujitsu chip,if u put 60psi on it then it would probly crush the fujitsu chip
    Last edited by zanzabar; 09-21-2008 at 11:30 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast