Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: Cosmos S WC; Quadfire - 56k Puke

Project: Cosmos S WC; Quadfire - 56k Puke

Continued from here. This is long-overdue and after a *pile* of delays with work, family, etc., I'm on a marathon to get this beast assembled. One of the HD4870x2's is still out on RMA but, otherwise, I should have it all ready to go. 9PM here in Los Angeles and I want this done by tomorrow night. Not going to be a lot of 'modding', in the traditional sense but I will certainly be tweaking a few things, like reversing the flow for fans, moving a few things around and experimenting a little with the WC setup. Here's the gear and a few photos of some of what's been done.

Did a lot of research to put this together, thanks to all here and EXT who shared their input on this. Been quite a process.

Ok what's this?

Anyway, onto the gear list:

Case:
    COOLER MASTER cosmos S RC-1100-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Panel:
    COOLER MASTER RA-1100-KWN1-GP Transparent Acrylic Side Window Panel - Retail

Mobo:
    ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569QX9650 - Retail

GPU: 2X
    SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail[/B]

RAM: 2x (8GB)
    CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX - Retail

Display: 1X
    DELL UltraSharp 2408WFP

PSU:
    KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX / BTX Power Supply - Retail[/B]

SSD:
    RiDATA NSSD-S25-32-C04MPN 2.5" 32GB SATA II 3.0Gb Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail

HDD: 4X
    Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

HDD Cooling 4X:
    MASSCOOL SYTRIN Kuformula SHF1 Ultra HDD Cooler – BK - Retail

Optical One:
    LG Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Black SATA Model GGW-H20L - Retail

Optical Two:
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q/BEBN - OEM

Water Cooling: 1x (I'm new to WC, this is a good, safe start.)
    Swiftech H20-220-APEX-GT CPU Liquid Cooling Kits - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - OEM

A few pictures...

The Gear - ($5k goes really fast)

The Extras - $300 @ Frys is easy. Some tools; cable stripper, solder, hot gun, soldering iron, lots of sleeving and heat shrink, spare 120's, UV cathodes, tape, xacto knife, a useless ram cooler (Patriot Vortex), loads of molex clips, cleaner, other odds and ends:

My Workspace - It's going to be a long weekend.

The Beast - Got a lot of grief over this choice for a PSU. More details on that in another thread where I will review it:

Here's some shots of work already done and I want to point out that I've never done any sleeving or modding of any kind before, it's all new. Good times.

So... Here's my FIRST sleeve/shrink!!! On the HD cage for the Cosmos:

Some more work on fan cables...

The next thing will be do clean/prep the loop tonight. I have 4 gallons of distilled water, 1 gallon of 99% Isopropyl and a spare PSU to run it through the sink (or something). WC is totally new to me, it should be fun.

May try to use this for a res.

Or not lol

Stay tuned, it's gonna be a long, busy weekend but I'll post updates..
    Last edited by Captain Zero; 09-14-2008 at 04:07 AM. Reason: typoz suck

Xtreme Addict
    That's going to be a monster rig...
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Xtreme Member
    cant wait to see it done man

gl
    Last edited by fatman; 09-13-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Minor Update: Molex pins suck. A lot.

My fans..:

Granny Approved!

De-greasing the boards and adding the Arctic Silver and the WC loop is next!

Xtreme Addict
    I bet those stickers improve airflow by 10 fold :P
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

wow!! looney tunes' fans!! i wonder where i can get those locally. hehehe.

be monitoring this monster rig of yours

Intel C2D E7200 @ 3.2ghz Q808A587
    Abit F-I90HD (Modded Bios 18)

Xigmatek HDT-SD964 w/ crossbow
    Team Xtreem 2x1gb PC8500

Gainward 4850 Golden Sample
    Corsair HX620w

Seagate 640gb 7200.11 32mb
    Pioneer DVR-115BXL (on A15J firmware w/ Labelflash)

LG L226WTQ LCD

Update:

The board's been prep'd by removing stock heating, re-greasing w/Artic Cool, and adding an additional fan:

Goo Gone:

Some Sleeving:

...and cufflinks!

I also modded the backside of the board to include the nylon washers trick for a 10c-15c boost in temps:

Close Up of nylon washer additions:

Fusion; noun - the state or fact of being so united.

Uh, you call this united..? ASUS, what's with the screwy barbs on this thing..?

Also measured the loop runs and will begin installing/prepping the WC, ready to install the board and backplate for the block:

Oh wait.. I need my Dremel to cut out the backplate. It's 5am, can't wake up the family with that right now...

Crap, I'm on a roll too. First thing will be to assemble the loop and get it running.

Back at it after some sleep.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This going to be insane! *subscribed*
    Corsair Obsidian 650D - EVGA P67 FTW - Samsung F3 1Tb - 8Gb A-Data cheapest crap DDR3 - Intel Core i5 2500K w/ Corsair H50 - EVGA GTX 295 co-op - Corsair AX650

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking forward to your progress.

When you did the nylon washer trick did you just add the washers or did you completely remove the heatsink assembly reapply the thermal compound and reassemble? I ask b/c my NB temps are not bad at 1.48v. Temps top out at around 49-51c under load. I'm thinking about simply adding the washers to see if the additional pressure will provide better contact and temps without removing the whole assembly.

Oh...if you are in LA NewEgg shipping is just one day away. Have you thought about the Xigmatek backplate? It may be a simpler solution.
    Intel Xeon 3520 | eVGA Classified E759, GTX-285 SSC Tri-SLI | Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz 7-8-7-20 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | Intel 160GB X25-MG2 x 2, WDC 1TB Green Storage | Watercool HK 3.0, GPU-X² GTX285, MO-RA 2 Pro | Mips Chipset Kühler | Dual Laing 18w DDC+ | Corsair HX1000 | murderMod TJ07 #007 | Dell 3008WFP | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

Xtreme Member
    As a replacement for that godawful fuzion block, might I suggest this? It's really a lot better.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Suscribed!!! i wan to see this
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @
    Cruz Alta (Cba.) Argentina

Xtreme Member
    Looks amazing so far

Good suggestions on the replacement blocks, thanks.
    Last edited by Captain Zero; 09-14-2008 at 03:25 PM.

What size sleeving did you use on the fans? Also the size of the heatshrink.

My Rig
    CM690|Intel Q6600|Noctua NH-U12P|DFI LP DK P35|G.SKILL 4GB DDR2-1000|EVGA 8800GTS G92|Seagate 250GB|Creative X-Fi Platinum|Corsair 620HX

Quote Originally Posted by SoNiC21 View Post
    What size sleeving did you use on the fans? Also the size of the heatshrink.
    1/4" for the sleeve, 9mm and 18mm cuffs for the heatshrink. Standard sizes really, and it's all UV-reactive.

u need to get this
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcnoco.html

dont run the fusion POS with its aluminum parts
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    your hands are small and soft. like a woman's.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Update: Major

Quite a day. Blew the tips off of 5 fingers, no joke and not fun. Really slowed me down. Hot tubing and no fingertips really blows.

Eventually took a little break to hit some local pet stores, looking for a flow indicator, more on that later. Finding Nemo came to mind - you'll see.

Ran into other obstacles that were minor but time consuming. Lost a crucial screw down into my central air unit, ran out of tubing on my loop (I think Swiftech short-changed me on the length) and other hassles. Not as productive as I would have like but a lot of progress on this, nonetheless.

Work on the dreaded backplate and the fat Fujistu chip on the backside of the board. What a pain. The Dremel would take ages to blast through the backplate and I'm not ready to sacrifice the plate I do have so on to something else until I figure out another solution.

Dunno what to do next. Ok lunch! Baby makes a killer breakfast burrito.

While I'm eating I'm still working! Going over the room-full of parts I have, I see this thing:

The otherwise useless fan that came with the QX9650. Hey, what's this?

Hey, I have an idea!

Finally I can put the Dremel to good use!

I found the *perfect* backplate for my QX9650 and the Fujitsu chip. Intel makes a Crossbow and I bet they don't even know it!

Installing the block as soon as the loop's ready...

Now onto wet goodness! Measured all the loops with some twine inside the case and used that to pair the tube runs, seems to have worked out well. I absolutely wanted to fill the system with the res hung as high as possible before actually installing it. Once in the case, it'll sit above the HD cage, roughly halfway up the case, not ideal, but at least the pump is on the bottom. More on that, coming up next...

Update Major:

Time to get loopy.

Ran into a problem with space - hard to imagine in the Cosmos S but I wanted the pump at the bottom and with the PSU and a full HD cage, my only option was to patch up one of the bottom blow holes and fan mounts - I didn't want to do that as that additional fan is needed to keep up with the CFM from the rads. So looking around for options - I came up with this:

That cool little RadBox that came from the Swiftech kit will come in handy after all. Since I'm mounting the rad on the inside of the case (along the top) I didn't need it - until now! It's a perfect 120 housing and the ideal mount for my pump.

So far so good!

And now this miserable thing.. Grr ASUS, what the hell were you thinking?

Filling this with Distilled and a little Isopropyl aftershave...

Into the sink just to be safe...

Disaster. I knew it. The weakest point in the loop is this ridiculous barb setup on the Fusion block. What a nightmare. It's not actually torn at the seal but directly in the middle of the 'tubing' ASUS provides. It's flimsy and cheap, a real weak spot on an otherwise solid board.

Water pouring out between the couplings!

Next will be to come up with another solution for looping in the Fusion block, those barbs are a joke but I have a few ideas. I'm happy with the backplate solution and the loop will be (otherwise) flawless. Once that kink is worked out I'll install in into the case and start with the cable management and components.

Stay tuned.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xMrBunglex View Post
    Man, that was kind of wrong, but I lol'd.

Anyway, all kidding aside, this is a nice project. That burrito looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by xMrBunglex View Post
    Thank you. Did you want to hold one?
    Last edited by Captain Zero; 09-14-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lookn' great man
    "fightoffyourdemons"

do u not look at links, this is a direct replacement bloack for the stock asus one
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcnoco.html

its got no aluminum and has real barbs
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ya, please dont use the stock block, it'll make an awful mess of that board (you should know you have already been messing with it, lol)
    Media PC:[AMD x2 4800][MSI K9N-SLI][2x1gig Corsair DDR2 800][ATI 3650 AIW][Asus Xonar D2X][500gig Samsung SATA][Crap Antec Case and PSU]

Xtreme Member
    looking great man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast