Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project: Cosmos S WC; Quadfire - 56k Puke

Xtreme Addict
    My god man, that was some serious modding!

Looks like you have some sweet skills with metal.

Btw i'm loving the log, pics are great!

Xtreme Member
    the looney tunes stickers got my attention... sub'd
    haha
    waiting eagerly for the completion of your wonderful project! :thumb2:

Banned
    nice

Xtreme Member
    Journey to the center of the heatsink.

Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies, on a summer day.
    Bertrand Russel - Skeptical Essays, 1928

Hey everyone, remember this?

It's been a long road. Many of you have forgotten about this, figured I gave up, had a stroke, ran out of money. Well, that's all true but I'm a stubborn fellow and, contrary to popular belief, never give up.

It's done.

With piles of hurdles and many defeats and, in the end, a victory of, what I can only attribute to attrition. Throw enough parts and dollars at the problem and it might just go away (a prayer to Loki wouldn't hurt, either).

Not a wise choice, for what are obvious reasons and some that are not so obvious. Read on, fellow builder, and know that you are not alone in your woes.

What I've learned is that;

• No amount of research can prepare you for all the potential obstacles.
    • A $100.00 motherboard with cheap DDR2 is more stable than the $500.00 motherboard with a $1200.00 CPU and costly High Speed/High Capacity DDR3.
    • 'Tech Support' is a misnomer. They're trained to presume that the user is a half-wit and that the problem can't possibly be with their product. AOL pioneered this. It's not support, it's a chess match.
    • When you think you have triple-checked everything that might be wrong, check it again. You idiot.

To be fair, a little background. In the first photo I linked, I remember taking that and feeling the elation and almost euphoria I had when that motherload of gear arrived. This was to be a Monster Machine with no rival. I mean, who blows well over $5k on OEM parts? Another $2k in incidentals (tools and repeated trips to Fry's add up, fast). Not to mention the RMA's and other parts that I bought so I could swap them out while troubleshooting a seemingly never-ending trail of problems... Yeah but, it's going to be a Killer Komputer.

Uh, sure.

But back up for a moment. Everything had been carefully spec'd out. The Mobo, the CPU, RAM, water blocks, all of it down to minutia. So putting it together would be a breeze. In theory. The first Rampage Extreme board I had was a solid DOA. Finding that out took an eternity. Swapping out PSU's, chips and even RAM before deciding 'ok, it has to be the board'.

Off it goes to ASUS. Only after 2 weeks of 'discussions' about what could be the problem.

WATERCOOLING GONE WRONG
    A month goes by.

The new (refurb) arrives and so does my first son. Wow.. how am I going to find time to get that snakepit of tubes and wires put together? He's so cute, think I'll play with his toys for a while, they're way more fun and drool-soaked.

A month goes by.

Time to find a weekend and put this thing together. We're well into February at this point. Everything is looking good and, since this all started in September '08, I finally have a POST. It's alive. It's ALIVE!

I don't fully assemble the case and tidy cables since I am only testing and letting it seat for a while before calling it a wrap. I play with some very minor benches and it looks promising. I leave it on auto and treat it with white gloves. Easy does it...

A week goes by and things are looking ok. Oddly enough, however, it's started to BSOD on bootups. Something odd with the SSD seems to be happening. I'd never had one of these drives so maybe this was normal. Into the BIOS and it's all default/auto, yep, check check. It's all good, reboot - nothing. Since the case is still open, I can quickly see that the Green/Yellow/Red blinky isn't happening. Just a solid Amber that I discover is the HDD activity indicator. It's solid. That's it, nothing else is going on, just a solid amber.

Out comes the battery and I sneak out of the office. Maybe I can trick it back to life. The next day, I slip it's heart pacer back in and... nothing. Just amber. You gotta be kidding me. "Hello, ASUS..?"

Another month goes by.

Kiddo is getting bigger and, gosh, this whole 'kid thing' is really cool. His toys are way more fun than mine and, the best part - they're waterproof! Unlike my pile of hoses and rads and pumps, what a mess. I've got coolant stains in the case, some has run down the side of my HD cage.. Good grief, what a mess. Time to start over. I still don't have a board but I need to pull this apart and do some cleaning and refining...

Another month goes by.

My THIRD Rampage Extreme arrives. My son is almost 5 months old. Wow, they grow so fast. His toys keep getting cooler. I'm so discouraged by the build that I don't even care anymore. The office/workshop is trashed, cables, wires, bits and pieces everywhere. Time to clean up, only this time, it only takes me a weekend.

Finally time to sit this thing down and have a talk. "Look machine, you're supposed to do this and I expect you to do it. Now let's try to get along."

In goes the board. In goes the newly prepped loops, tighter fittings, much cleaner and efficient lines and braided cables, pristine management for all the molex, sata and other cables. This is going to work. It's all on you now, ASUS.

The first time I powered up was nerve-wracking. With all the other boards, I had swapped out every component possible just to trouble-shoot. In each case, it was the board. In all this time none of my other gear had really been tested. I'm well into $8k for this build, it's going to work.

That first time, when you're looking at it all and running through everything in your head.. Cables ok, power is plugged in and your finger is resting on the back of the PSU.. Click..!

Wiiirr.. Huummmm, click BEEP! Holy crap. Fans are going, pumps is gurgling, monitor sparkles to life.. We have a PULSE!

So far, so good. Need to calm down. Don't do anything stupid. Ok, where's that damn boot cd? Ok, what's the BIOS looking like? v1003, ok looks good, check check.. Where's that CD?!?

After some 8 months, I finally have what appears to be a stable build. Sure, it looks amazing, performs exceptionally well and is way just up there on the 'wow' factor.

I could do better with a rig a third of the cost. Much better. The REX has proven to be a completely unreliable piece of turd. I run a 3x RAD, SwiftTech NBMAX and Apogee GT for the CPU. The CPU (QX9650) idles a cool 20c. The NB? 45c~ on idle. WHAT?!? Yeah, turns out this is normal.

Out goes any chance of that 5.0 Ghz OC I wanted. This NB is fried! But I'm happy, because I have a stable machine that runs anything I throw at it. It's a Crysis eater, for sure.

But, who cares? It was a colossal waste of money and effort. Unless you consider that I'm now a pretty comfortable builder and modder. There isn't much that wasn't altered in some way for this build. That knowledge is invaluable and I'm happy for it.

The coolest moment though, was sitting my son in my lap and watching the marine aquarium screen saver with him on my 30" Dell. Wow, that's priceless.

In the end, I'd still do it over again. In fact, I plan to. Nehalem is clearly the more stable platform and DDR3 on x48 was purely a money-grab for Intel and others. There's no way this board can do 1600 or even handle DDR3 beyond 350. If you run a ReX with DDR3 and have 400+ on the FSB, I salute you.

And to everyone here, and elsewhere, that has seen my silly mug on one forum or another, I genuinely thank you. Everyone had some terrific opinions and feedback. I could NOT have done it without you.

See you in the funny papers.
    Last edited by Captain Zero; 06-12-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Welcome to my life bud. Asus sucks. I refuse to ever buy from them again. 9 months for 1 GPU. 4 months for another and 3 months for another without even getting the correct replacement. Lets not discuss the crapness of my board quality... although it does OC like a little mofo

Rig looks good bar that 8 pin cable stretching across the window

~Bex
    PROJECT :: The Xtreme (WET) Dream!!!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    E6750 @ 4GHz QX9650 @ 4.6GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :
    Sempron140 @ 4Ghz (Stock Cooler)
    i7 3960x @ 5.4ghz (Air Cooler)

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
    Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
    Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Quote Originally Posted by RCG_Bex View Post
    Rig looks good bar that 8 pin cable stretching across the window

~Bex
    Thanks. And yeah, I agree with you about the 8pin. I tried to run it *under* the board but it wouldn't quite make it. I'm not going to leave it like that but it will mean a new PSU. Even though it's modular, that 8pin is fixed so I can't just swap it out, looks ridiculous just hanging there. Small price to pay for now, at least it's running. No chance of an over-clock though, the REX boards are jinxed.

Thank you for the entertaining update, Captain. And congratulations on the arrival of a healthy happy son.

I did not have great luck with my Rampage Extreme Boards, either (2 down, now awaiting RMA). And, I wasted A LOT of $$ on the DDR3 ram, because it was 4x the cost when I got it. Almost gave up as well, so I can empathize with your tribulations. BUT, you prevailed, and glad you have a beautiful working system now!

BTW, have you considered getting an extension cable for your 8-pin connector? They work fine, and will allow you to route it behind the mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Thank you for the entertaining update, Captain. And congratulations on the arrival of a healthy happy son.

I did not have great luck with my Rampage Extreme Boards, either (2 down, now awaiting RMA). And, I wasted A LOT of $$ on the DDR3 ram, because it was 4x the cost when I got it. Almost gave up as well, so I can empathize with your tribulations. BUT, you prevailed, and glad you have a beautiful working system now!

BTW, have you considered getting an extension cable for your 8-pin connector? They work fine, and will allow you to route it behind the mobo.
    I wouldn't have thought such a thing existed, I'll have to google it now! Any recommendations? And if you're ever in L.A., I have piles of parts and gear in a pretty decent workshop to get yours up and running.

We are REX veterans, the toughest breed out there.

Here you go. You can also find them at Fry's and some of the other local stores, I imagine.

Thanks for the offer ... I do have a working system now (just not REX )

Thanks shazza, just ordered this one; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812706004

Should be the last piece I need to wrap this build up. Then I'll take some pro pics of the rig and promptly blow it up.

What did you do with your REX?

Xtreme Member
    Great galaxy ( CosMos S )
    • i7 920 D0
    • Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    • Corsair Dominator 12GB
    • MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition OC 2GB
    • OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
    • WD1002FAEX 1TB
    • Corsair HX850W
    • CaseLabs Magnum TH10
    • Dell UltraSharp U2410