Thread: Computer won't turn off...

Xtreme Member

Computer won't turn off...

I recently ran into a problem I have never encountered before (and wasn't sure how to search on). A couple of months ago I purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex 755 (no insults please, this is for the wife) with an Intel chipset (not sure which one, but I think it was G33), a E8500 CPU running XP Pro (32-bit). Everything was fine stock, but it only came with 1GB RAM. So I purchased this G.Skill memory from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231120

I installed the RAM after removing the old units and turned the computer on. Everything seemed fine, as the computer ran as expected. I checked everything with CPUz (the proper 4-4-4-12 timings were automatically detected) and the expected 3.25GB of RAM was seen the "Properties" window (I know, I know a 32-bit OS won't be able to use the full 4GB, I wasn't worried about that). The problems arose when I tried to turn the computer off. I went to the "Start" menu, clicked on shutdown, everything seemed normal, the system even shut down (as noted by the screen going into standby mode) but about 10-15 seconds later it just turned back on all by itself. This has happened several times, so that I had to pull out the power cord to actually get it to shut down completely. However, when I plug it back in, the computer will turn on all by itself. The one thing I have noticed is even when I do use "Shutdown" from the "Start" menu the LED in the ON/OFF switch never turns off. Well that's my problem, has anyone experienced something like this before? Below is a things I'm going to try, but if there are any other suggestions I'm all ears... Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Things to try to diagnose/ correct problem:
    1.) Put back in original memory and see if it still happenes
    2.) Run memtest on the new sticks (not sure if this will tell anything as the computer works perfectly fine and is much faster with the new memory)
    3.) Try just one stick of new memory (in all four slots)
    4.) Move sticks to the other slots (2,4 rather than 1,3)
    5.) Check setting in BIOS (although there isn't much to change on a Dell)
    6.) Look for BIOS updates
    7.) Reset the CMOS by removing battery?!?!?
    8.) Any others?

Xtreme Member
    By random luck I found this in a review over at Newegg;

Oh and watch your ram i have some that caused a reboot loop, had to clear the cmos to get rid of it.
    Sound exactly like my problem, I'll try this first when I get home...