Thread: How do I remove VGA Ram Heatsinks?

Xtreme Enthusiast

How do I remove VGA Ram Heatsinks?

I have a BFG 8800GT that I fitted a Thermaltake DuOrb cooler. This was supplied with ram heatsinks that were stuck on with some kind of thermal tape. I now want to fit a full cover waterblock. So, whats the best way to remove these heatsinks without damaging anything? Thanks...
    System :- Gunmetal Antec P182 : Antec Quattro 850 : Asus P5E Deluxe : Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 4004MHz (8.5 x 471 FSB) 1.4 volts (VID: 1.3v) : 8Gb 1100 OCZ Gold XTC @ 942MHz 2.0 volts (5-5-5-15) : Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH (GPU: 800MHz, Shader: 1600MHz, Memory: 2000MHz) : 1x 128Gb Crucial RealSSD + Asus U3S6 (OS) : 1x 1Tb & 2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (Storage) : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Cooling : 4x Sharkoon Eagle 2000's (Case) : 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (R120-T rad) : 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (RS 240 rad in push-pull) : Akasa Fan Control Pro : Stepped Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di : EK FC5X0 GTX GW - Nickel (GTX 570) : Swiftech MCP355 : 1x XSPC R120-T : 1x XSPC RS 240 : XSPC Bay Reservoir : XSPC 1/2" Tubing : Blue Feser One Coolant

Check out my water-cooling case design:- Here & Here
    Find SketchUp Computer Components Here
    Download my case design SketchUp files from Here

***Completely at your own risk***

The advice contained herein is a mere suggestion. You should consult your lawyer, accountant and/or financial advisor before undertaking anything this risky lol

Use a hairdryer or heatgun. Gently heat up the ramsinks. Heat will make the thermal tape more pliable. Use a razor blade or a box cutter knife. Gently insert blade between ram chip and heat sink. Do not attempt to remove heatsink yet, just pry it a little all around the edges to crate some air gaps.

Now video card and put it inside a zip lock freezer bag. Put said video card in the freezer for one hour. The cold will make the thermal tape more brittle. Now, remove video card and gently insert razor blade again between ram sink and memory chip. Use a twisting prying motion. It should pop off quite easily.

Do not force. If it doesn't work, repeat the cycle.

Done this before with stuff as strong as Arctic Ceramic Adhesive and/or AS5 and super glue. Did that all the way back to my 3Dfx Voodoo One card... had a Pentium Pro heatsink on that lol

Never go full retard
    Apply heat with a hair dryer. Be very careful if using a heat gun, a heat gun kicks out a lot more heat than a hair dryer.
    Slightly twist or wiggle the ramsinks while applying heat, the sinks will twist/wiggle more and more as the thermal tape bond begins to loosen. DO NOT PULL THE RAMSINKS
    Keep using the heat and twist/wiggle method until the ramsink just comes off with the twist/wiggle.

If the thermal tape remains on the chip apply some heat again and use a pin to remove it from the chip.
    Use your regular TIM remover and surface prep after removing the ramsink and remaining thermal tape.

edit: IanY beat me to the punch...I do like the freezer method, i'll have to try that.

I am Xtreme
    Depending on the tape, cold may be more effective than heat...as they need to stick to hot components, I'd be tossing the card in the freezer first, myself.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    edit: IanY beat me to the punch...I do like the freezer method, i'll have to try that.
    Freezer works better then using a hair dryer.

I just gave mine a careful twist back and forth until they loosened up and came off. Tape doesn't hold up to twisting well so it lets go easily that way.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    I just gave mine a careful twist back and forth until they loosened up and came off. Tape doesn't hold up to twisting well so it lets go easily that way.
    That is the exactly the way I have done it in the past. I also ran the card under full load to heat it up, then immediately twisted the heatsinks till they came off. Just don't lift up or it will separate, and plissken your ram.

In the past I've used an upside down can of compressed air as a freeze spray right on the sink. Cools it locally and very rapidly, they came right off.