Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Safe to Use Bitspower Rotary 90?

Xtreme Member

Safe to Use Bitspower Rotary 90?

Hi all.

Just wondering if it is safe to use the Bitspower rotary 90 adaptor for my applications. Basically there will be next to no lateral load on the fittings, as one will be on top of an XSPC res top (mounted vertically) joined horizontally to radiator outlet by a 1" piece of tubing. Other application is directly below this though the 90 will be hanging from the rad inlet (so some load).

Too much hassle sending parts back as I am in Australia, and the postage costs and downtime will be not worth it.

Thanks for advice.

Desktop: E8400, DFI Lanparty Jr P45-T2RS, 4GB Ballistix, XFX 9800GT, 640GB, Samsung 2232BW, V-350B
    Notebook: HP Pavilion DV5-1009TX, T9400, 4GB DDR2, 9600M GT, 320GB 7200rpm, 1280x800
    PROJECT .:BLACK:. Watercoold SFF build

Xtreme Addict
    I guess it's up to you; are you willing to take that risk and use it despite the total recall?

I feel similarly about shipping it back, i've only got 2 elbows and they're not that bad really. If i were you, i'd try to pull them apart until you are satisfied that they will stand up to use in a loop.

Xtreme Member
    Hrmmm not sure. I have to order a couple of 45s soon but dont want to wait 4 weeks for re-release of 90s

Desktop: E8400, DFI Lanparty Jr P45-T2RS, 4GB Ballistix, XFX 9800GT, 640GB, Samsung 2232BW, V-350B
    Notebook: HP Pavilion DV5-1009TX, T9400, 4GB DDR2, 9600M GT, 320GB 7200rpm, 1280x800
    PROJECT .:BLACK:. Watercoold SFF build

Quote Originally Posted by twwen2 View Post
    I guess it's up to you; are you willing to take that risk and use it despite the total recall?

I feel similarly about shipping it back, i've only got 2 elbows and they're not that bad really. If i were you, i'd try to pull them apart until you are satisfied that they will stand up to use in a loop.
    Am I missing something here? What total recall? Just took delivery of my BP elbow yesterday but I haven't installed it yet on my gpu yet. Are there any issues I don't know about?
    i7 920 / P6TD V2 / 6GB Corsair / 5870 / Corsair 800D / OCZ 600W / WC CPU & GPU /

Xtreme Addict
    Apparently the rotaries snap off with lateral pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    Apparently the rotaries snap off with lateral pressure
    Ok

So how many peeps are reporting this issue? I've searched but only seen one person with this problem so far.
    i7 920 / P6TD V2 / 6GB Corsair / 5870 / Corsair 800D / OCZ 600W / WC CPU & GPU /

Banned
    Well ehh if you pull really fricken hard it comes off. I only have 1 180 and I can't move it.

Banned
    Oh dear where have you been

Yeah basically someone broke theirs and then Vincent posted that they are defective and would like us to send them back to BP in exchange for a new one. So various people tried. The guy from Sidewinder said he hit his on the table to dislodge it. Twwen pulled hard. I can't pull mine off but I'm sure I could if I whacked it a bit.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There should be a sticky alot of people don't know about the defect. I only found out after posting my 45 degree rotaries picture in the performancepcs thread.

Heres the elbow I bought. Any known issues with this part?

Xtreme Member
    I tried hitting it with a hammer, but it wouldn't break. Should I get a bigger hammer?

Kidding. Tried pulling it apart, feels pretty solid. Luckily, mine are going on rads on a sectional case and the only electrical thing it can shoot water on if it breaks are pumps. Regardless, I think the rotories are a wear item and a weak link. Was a bad idea for me to get em. Will keep em till they start leaking then replace with non-rotory 90's. People have been using them for how long now and there has only been one guy that had it break? And one other guy that broke it by hitting it on a table? Would hitting it on a table be normal use? I mean, I am sure you can break anything that works as designed if you put enough effort into it lol

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
    Kidding. Tried pulling it apart, feels pretty solid. Luckily, mine are going on rads on a sectional case and the only electrical thing it can shoot water on if it breaks are pumps. Regardless, I think the rotories are a wear item and a weak link. Was a bad idea for me to get em. Will keep em till they start leaking then replace with non-rotory 90's. People have been using them for how long now and there has only been one guy that had it break? And one other guy that broke it by hitting it on a table? Would hitting it on a table be normal use? I mean, I am sure you can break anything that works as designed if you put enough effort into it lol
    Near as I can tell from reading everything (I don't actually have any rotary fittings myself) Vincent is concerned that some of the fittings aren't built quite right and can come apart under normal usage. BP changed the design of the rotary fitting to prevent this from happening, and is making a new batch to replace the previous design. Because they have no way of knowing how many of the existing rotary connectors have the flaw that will cause them to come apart under normal use (as opposed to beating them on a table or with a hammer) BP is eating the cost of replacing them and has issued a general recall. Realistically, they could have taken the "Koolance approach" and waited for people to complain and then shipped out a replacement only to them, particularly as this is a relatively new product and there aren't many of them out there yet (and the number of defective ones seems fairly small), but apparently BP cares about their public image, imagine that.

If you already have the fittings, Vincent has asked that you return them for replacement as a number of people have asked if they should just use them since they seem to be ok for them. Of course, whether you do that or not is entirely up to you. If it was me, as long as it felt reasonably secure, I'd probably just use it, and then replace it down the line when the new design hits the stores. Just bear in mind, at this point you use them at your own risk. If they break on you, and you opted not to send them in for replacement, it's your fault.
    Curiosity was framed, Ignorance killed the cat.

Xtreme Addict
    whoa this is news to me as well, so they just come apart? pics?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would just rma them even if they don't seem defective. A new design sounds more promising and gives you that piece of mind in the long run.

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm, I'm thinking I'll send mine back, too.

I'm not going to be building quite yet and I'd rather be on the safe side.

So do we know if we send them back where we bought them, or directly to BP?
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Xtreme Member
    I have 6 of em. Cost @$70 for 6 and @$25 to ship. If I RMA, it will cost another $20 to ship, @1 hour of my time getting to the post office and standing in lines, which I value higher then $30...so yah. Will keep em and use at my own risk and replace with non-rotories when/if it leaks. Right now it seems pretty solid and when I install, I won't do it in a manner that puts any tension on them from the hoses being slightly too short and being used anyway. The rotories only pressure will come from 2 DDC's and I just don't see that popping the pressed on fitting off.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
    Hmm, I'm thinking I'll send mine back, too.

I'm not going to be building quite yet and I'd rather be on the safe side.

So do we know if we send them back where we bought them, or directly to BP?
    We will handle all RMA directly form US...

We take all the shipping to you and back...

Don't worry about the extra shipping on Bitspower's RMA...We will take care of that.

I have 6 of em. Cost @$70 for 6 and @$25 to ship. If I RMA, it will cost another $20 to ship, @1 hour of my time getting to the post office and standing in lines, which I value higher then $30...so yah. Will keep em and use at my own risk and replace with non-rotories when/if it leaks. Right now it seems pretty solid and when I install, I won't do it in a manner that puts any tension on them from the hoses being slightly too short and being used anyway. The rotories only pressure will come from 2 DDC's and I just don't see that popping the pressed on fitting off.
    Please wait for ur new version come out in next week..I thinkall are on schedule..

Sorry for the RMA issue on our products...

Any RMA issue, please mail to rma@bitspower.com, thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BP-Vincent View Post
    We will handle all RMA directly form US...

We take all the shipping to you and back...

Don't worry about the extra shipping on Bitspower's RMA...We will take care of that.
    Thanks Vincent.

I'm located in Canada, though I bought the fittings from a USA store.

I should send the parts directly to BitsPower then?

Send an email to the address there?

(Just to clarify and hopefully clarify for others here with similar questions.)
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

I am Xtreme
    Let me point out there are a couple measures of a company's customer service. One is how they deal with problems related to their products (no company is perfect and Bitspower is doing such revolutionary designs there are bound to be issues that are discovered in the hands of customers). Bitspower has stood up and admitted the problem and taken an active position to rectify it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    Let me point out there are a couple measures of a company's customer service. One is how they deal with problems related to their products (no company is perfect and Bitspower is doing such revolutionary designs there are bound to be issues that are discovered in the hands of customers). Bitspower has stood up and admitted the problem and taken an active position to rectify it.
    qft

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orclev View Post
    Near as I can tell from reading everything (I don't actually have any rotary fittings myself) Vincent is concerned that some of the fittings aren't built quite right and can come apart under normal usage. BP changed the design of the rotary fitting to prevent this from happening, and is making a new batch to replace the previous design. Because they have no way of knowing how many of the existing rotary connectors have the flaw that will cause them to come apart under normal use (as opposed to beating them on a table or with a hammer) BP is eating the cost of replacing them and has issued a general recall. Realistically, they could have taken the "Koolance approach" and waited for people to complain and then shipped out a replacement only to them, particularly as this is a relatively new product and there aren't many of them out there yet (and the number of defective ones seems fairly small), but apparently BP cares about their public image, imagine that.

If you already have the fittings, Vincent has asked that you return them for replacement as a number of people have asked if they should just use them since they seem to be ok for them. Of course, whether you do that or not is entirely up to you. If it was me, as long as it felt reasonably secure, I'd probably just use it, and then replace it down the line when the new design hits the stores. Just bear in mind, at this point you use them at your own risk. If they break on you, and you opted not to send them in for replacement, it's your fault.
    That is what I am doing. I have them in my loop now. With mine, the act of screwing my compression fitting onto either the 90, or 45 made it separate with the slightest rotation. There is one thing you can do. When the fitting separates, spread the c-clip a little wider. Take note of the position you need the fitting to face, and put the rotary back together with the open end of the c-clip facing in that direction. As long as you don't rotate the fitting, it shouldn't come off. I'm not recommending that anyone use the defective fittings, but it will work if you are careful. I was gonna wait, but when I discovered that this worked, I couldn't resist getting my loop setup with them!

Xtreme Member
    Any word on the black sparkle compression fittings Vincent, they are still MIA.
    MM H2gO - Win 7 Pro
    2 PA120.2 Thermochill
    MCP355 w/XSPC res top
    i5-2500k @ 5.0ghz w/Heatkiller 3.0
    Corsair HX850 - M IV Gene-z
    GTX 480 w/DD 480 ni/cu

Xtreme Addict
    Here's the thread where VIncent made the recall:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=200455&page=3

There's plenty of pic on the page before as well.

Xtreme Addict
    I am in no way trying to be rude, but sometimes life sucks. I hate standing in line at the post office as well.

That said, for any of you that don't want to RMA, try pulling them apart, then pull off the little retainer ring, and bend it out some more. Then put it back in the groove and spring the fitting back together. Unless the retaining groove on the opposite side is too shallow, this should increase the grab of the joint.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Member
    Vincent has already stated that Bitspower will pay all the shipping for the rma, so don't worry. All you are out, is the time it takes to throw it in a box and give it to the post office/ups man! I already have my fittings in my loop, so soon as I get the replacements, I will swap them out. It should be a painless transition. You really can't complain about what Vincent is offering.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast