Thread: Norprene and 4U lovin

Norprene and 4U lovin

Kurz had inquired to me regarding 3/8"ID 5/8"OD norprene tubing on 1/2" barbs. I had recently switched over from 5/8"ID 7/16"OD 3603 when I added my 280s to the game box a few weeks ago and thought I'd share some pics. Note I used 3/8" BP/DD fat boys in the build.

Here's a pic of the end of the tubing and on an old style 1/2" D-tek barb. Yes it _does_ go on without boiling, etc. but I did have to gorilla it on there. Do not recommend, but the norprene gives more than you'd expect.

Here's a few pics of the build, older V1 fuzion, a couple of their new GPU blocks/sinks, and a HWL 380GTX (you cannot fit a thermochill 360 in a 4U case due to their odd fan spacing, yes I tried).

You will probably notice the complete absence of bling, and the sweet crimp clamps from mcmaster. Additionally, I must say I love the norprene and won't be using clear tubing with plasticizer again, ever. You will notice it has a great bend radius (between the 280s) considering a 4U case is only 7" tall. I've had no issues with it at all and it is definitely my tubing of choice (currently). DO mind the wall thickness however, you will not want to go below 1/8".

Last edited by 101; 09-27-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: updated image links

Banned
    Sweet, and I must say Holy Fannage Batman!! on the front of that beast. Kinda looks familiar

Check page 4 of my buildlog to get that joke

Turtle, as per Martins excellent white paper on fan/rad performance the 25mm is gutted and used as a spacer for the denkis in push config.

Crunch, no UV in this box for any reason, it's also shielded from the sun closed and in the rack.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
    how were your temps before and after tubing size change?

neoprene is sensitive to UV light, harden and crack over time
    Norprene is not the same as Neoprene.

http://www.stiflow.com/p_tygon_norprene.htm

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm loving the industrial look of Norpene!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    Turtle, as per Martins excellent white paper on fan/rad performance the 25mm is gutted and used as a spacer for the denkis in push config.

Crunch, no UV in this box for any reason, it's also shielded from the sun closed and in the rack.

Ahh, I see it now

Thanks and a nice rig m8

Xtreme Addict
    Those clamps look awesome! Did you use the "Clamps with Tongue and Groove"-type from McMaster? Part No.?

The industrial look of that Norprene + crimp clamps is what I always imagined my WC rig to be.
    Last edited by p2501; 09-09-2008 at 06:17 AM.
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Xtreme Addict
    Wow.. very cool.

looks to be very kink resistant but its hard to get a scale. Would you say its the most resistant out of Primoflex PRO LRT, Tygon and that feser crap?

Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    Those clamps look awesome! Did you use the "Clamps with Tongue and Groove"-type from McMaster? Part No.?

The industrial look of that Norprene + crimp clamps is what I always imagined my WC rig to be.
    Yes I used the tounge and groove ones (page 254), I would have to dig up the exact size tho. I think the 45/64s, don't remember. I also tried out the single pinch ones on the previous page, but they chewed up the tubing a little right at the pinch where these didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    Wow.. very cool.

looks to be very kink resistant but its hard to get a scale. Would you say its the most resistant out of Primoflex PRO LRT, Tygon and that feser crap?
    It's hard to say as I haven't used all of those, let alone any others in 3/8-5/8. It is much more rubbery/stretchy than 3603 or any of the typical PVC or vinyl like stuff. I would suggest you buy some and evaluate it for yourself, but I certainly will be using this till the next fad comes along.

Xtreme Addict
    Yes I used the tounge and groove ones (page 254), I would have to dig up the exact size tho. I think the 45/64s, don't remember. I also tried out the single pinch ones on the previous page, but they chewed up the tubing a little right at the pinch where these didn't.
    You don't have to dig up the exact size, it's enough that I know now which ones you used. Thanks for your reply and very much for your build.
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

52545K25 GAP-FREE PINCH HOSE AND TUBE CLAMP, 39/64" TO 47/64" CLAMP DIA RANGE, 9/32" BAND WIDTH
    was what I used on "Bitspower Premium G1/4" High Flow 3/8" Fitting (BP-WTP-C02)" with the norprene 3/8"ID 5/8"OD (measured 42/64" dia on the barb)
    Last edited by 101; 09-09-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    FYI I have Norprene in several installations I've done at work going strong 8+ years now and still no signs of cracking. Just sayin...
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Addict
    Yes someone else is using norprene!!!

Started using this stuff in my computer loop about 2 years ago... Nothing grows in it as there is no light, and it can't discolor.

It is a to fill the loop though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks alot 101!

Now let's see if they ship internationally...

Updated pic links for the googles...

Kurz had inquired to me regarding 3/8"ID 5/8"OD norprene tubing on 1/2" barbs. I had recently switched over from 5/8"ID 7/16"OD 3603 when I added my 280s to the game box a few weeks ago and thought I'd share some pics. Note I used 3/8" BP/DD fat boys in the build.

Impossible... what did you mean to say? I'm going to do a new loop and gotta say I like the looks of that tubing. I've been partial to 7/16ths ID on 1/2" barbs as someone tested it back in the day and there is no flow loss. I've also managed to get 3/8 tubing on 1/2 inch but it isn't the easiest thing to do.
    Main - for now: Celeron @ 2500 MHz/1 GB DDR 400/Intel/40 GB, 80 GB, 120 GB
    eMac - OCing soon: PPC G4 @ 1.25 GHz/1.5 GB DDR/Radeon 9200/40 GB Leopard
    Win Web Server: 2x Opteron @ 2000 GHz/512 MB ECC DDR/3D Rage/ Needs fixin'
    Linux Web Server: Pentium III @ 1200 MHz256 MB PC133/Intel/40 GB Arch Linux